Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Duffy Motors taking the piss and acting unprofessionally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Bigserious1

This thread is bizarre.

In Tetrarch's defense I recently bought a bike in the UK for 6k stg (so obviously much cheaper) sight unseen and got it shipped over to Dublin.

Some people like to live dangerously!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you wish to meet me you can get to know me. I would like to meet you to see what you are like away from the anonymity of the internet.

Are you asking me out on a date?

I am sure I would be the luckiest gut alive if you "Did it for me" but alas I must take a pass.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This thread is bizarre.

In Tetrarch's defense I recently bought a bike in the UK for 6k stg (so obviously much cheaper) sight unseen and got it shipped over to Dublin.

Some people like to live dangerously!
    And plenty of lads on here have done the same yet all of a sudden they won't part with a cent up front.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Glad we were able to fill the void left by biker.ie. what a welcoming bunch we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ah lads, give it a rest. Can opinions not be offered without becoming insulting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Why are we talking about horses? I think I'll just turn off notifications now.

Again you are hilarious (only to yourself).
    I would like to see the person whose only contribution to the thread is a very lame ponderous attempt at ridicule.

Ahh here buddy, think of my feeling will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What a holy f**king sh*t show BMW are and I'm not talking JD's this time. I just spent a half day on the phone to them after my bike was collected from my office because its not driveable.

All the promises of a replacement bike and this that and other is complete lies !! the last time this happened there was no replacement and the same with my wifes bike.

Anyone want a nice 2018 GS Adventure, its up for sale when it comes back from Kearys. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

D3V!L wrote: »
    What a holy f**king sh*t show BMW are and I'm not talking JD's this time. I just spent a half day on the phone to them after my bike was collected from my office because its not driveable.

All the promises of a replacement bike and this that and other is complete lies !! the last time this happened there was no replacement and the same with my wifes bike.

Anyone want a nice 2018 GS Adventure, its up for sale when it comes back from Kearys. :mad:

Didn't you have a problem with it a few months back? That's bloody heart breaking stuff man.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Didn't you have a problem with it a few months back? That's bloody heart breaking stuff man.

Yep they replaced the back wheel earlier on in the year due to loose spokes. This time it looks like the front forks or wheel spindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Im hearing more and more on the BMW issues lately, gutted when things go wrong with any bike tho.

I picked up my Valkyrie from having the timing belts, tyres and filters etc done and the feickin alternator went kaputt....3 weeks and 3 different alternators later (the new spurious ones havent worked yet when they were fitted so have been going back and forth with the supplier now) and its still off the road......

back to BMW tho, starting to think BMW stands for something else....
    B - ring
    M - ore
    W - allet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Hi Tetrarch, the problem I would have is, in the unlikely event of there being something wrong with your bike is they already have your money. There is no motivation for them to fix issues promptly, because they no longer have the motivation of being paid.

I work in retail and use the deposit system, and I always advise customers to pay the bare minimum. Because I've seen when issues arise that if it's paid in full the bosses don't care as much. But when there's still money owed they're still super motivated!

Maybe JD are different though. Enjoy retirement on the bike. We'll organise a get together for a nice spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

Not much bothered.
    I just won Euro 3,960 on Watch Me in the 16:20 race at Royal Ascot, odds of 35/1.

Fair play! I'd be pretty chilled with that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hold on, I won't have the comparisons made with biker.ie

That's not apt.

I'm regular poster in here and there's the odd pisstake, but when a poster is given some reasonable advice about handing over thousands of euro for a vehicle which he has then no control over that's fine.

Where it took a turn was when that poster went on about how money doesn't really mean that much to him . He has wealthy friends to back him up. Then goes on some long tirade about stocks and horses and some other stuff about winning big on bets today.

Well. No sorry . Some people either are out to take the Mick or just don't like being told other people have advice or opinions too.

It's not clever and no I won't have the forum compared to biker that's not cool. And there wasn't anything really unwelcoming .

The thread is bizarre the poster is being a bit bizarre. I'm not even sure there is a bike now but sure look well wait on that ambrosia photo......

And I dont like being hit on either......makes me very uncomfortable with my own sexuality. I am starting to wonder what "he" looks like and if the grass is indeed greener on the BMW side!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    And I dont like being hit on either......makes me very uncomfortable with my own sexuality. I am starting to wonder what "he" looks like and if the grass is indeed greener on the BMW side!

Just go for it!
    Sounds like an itch that needs to be scratched anyway!! :pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Just go for it!
    Sounds like an itch that needs to be scratched anyway!! :pac:

He's got a couple of quid anyway so you know he'll treat you good.

I took early retirement in 2006, getting a small pension that was less than minimum wage.
    In the recession that started around then there was zero chance of employment for me as a 56 year old.
    I spent ten years out of work with very, very little money.

Over 15 years at work I had saved 35k by monthly deductions from my pay.
    In November 2008 I invested all that 35k in shares, and about five years later when the stock market had recovered sold the shares for about 70k, and paid 10k capital gains tax.
    When I got my old age pension in 2016 my income doubled.

Since 1992 I had an interest in thoroughbred pedigrees, had researched the pedigrees of 159,000 rated horses, wrote pedigree analysis programs, and proved statistically (I think) what should be in the pedigree of a good horse.
    Using the money I saved over 15 years, doubled it by risking it all in the stock market, I decided to put the pedigree theory into practice.

I bought a mare at a French auction for 12k having already decided on the stallion that best suited her pedigree.
    Unfortunately, although the mare had two foals before I bought her, and gave birth in 2018 to a foal she was carrying when I bought her in 2017, she has not got pregnant in 2018 or 2019 following eight visits to stallions in those two years.
    I bought the second mare for 6k as the first mare appears to have fertility problems.
    These are not the actions of a person with bundles of surplus cash.
    Before buying the second mare I compared 3,800 mares on offer at the three major breeding stock sales IRE, GB, FR with 600+ stallions at stud, a total of about 2,300,000 possible foals (3,850 x 600).

My hope is to breed a good horse for small money (small money in horse terms).

I have no background in horses.
    My father was a national school teacher.

Making snide comments about riding the horses (they have never been ridden in their lives), about being dressed up like a ploughman's lunch, fox hunting, afternoon tea, and the butler might be amusing to you but it has nothing to do with me or my life.

I live in a one bedroom bungalow in south Dublin, have a small income, and the horses are an interest that has become reality after many years of saving, and then risking all those savings.
    The same with the bike. I sold my three bedroom house and moved to a much smaller house.

If you wish to meet me you can get to know me. I would like to meet you to see what you are like away from the anonymity of the internet.

I'm actually embarrassed for you posting that. Talk about airing all your washing in public. You may be a man of means but clearly no decorum.

I buy a new bike yearly and sometimes more frequently. I don't come on here or any forum giving people my bank statement. It generally doesn't go down well with others.

Anyway the thread is about JD's being c*nts. Can we get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But nobody has told me what use I could make of the money.

Yes they have. You use it to hold the dealer's feet to the fire.

What a holy f**king sh*t show BMW are and I'm not talking JD's this time.

Joke of a manufacturer. If an Italian brand had half of the quality problems, it'd be a laughing stock.

Someone once said that a cocaine habit was god's way of telling you you have too much money, BMWs must be the same thing... Lads, help is available but the first step is admitting you have a problem :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Someone once said that a cocaine habit was god's way of telling you you have too much money, BMWs must be the same thing... Lads, help is available but the first step is admitting you have a problem :p

It's actually really funny you should mention that, because it's so damn true. BMW have announced some form of recall on a bike each year for the last 5 years now, which is insane.

Meanwhile, up and comers like the Benelli TRK 502 are quite often shat on because they're an Italian motorcycle, manufactured in China. It's mental because virtually every review I've read of them have great things to say, and even after chatting some lads who've bought them for their 20 something kids have even better things to say.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/benelli/trk-502/2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,281 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chances are, whatever you're reading this on was assembled in China. If they can put together phones, tablets and laptops they can put motorcycles together, it's just a question of how much effort is put into quality control.

No idea what they're smoking the last few years over in BMW Motorrad Berlin plant, but it must be powerful stuff

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Chances are, whatever you're reading this on was assembled in China. If they can put together phones, tablets and laptops they can put motorcycles together, it's just a question of how much effort is put into quality control.

No idea what they're smoking the last few years over in BMW Motorrad Berlin plant, but it must be powerful stuff

IMO they had the glory days of the late 90's and early 00's when they really, really pushed the industry, especially in the ADV market. Long Way Round certainly did massive things for their sales.

I think that they got so big they started making some cut backs and it's hit the quality control a lot. Don't get me wrong, lads here know I've wanted a GS for sometime and I plan on buying one in a few years, but I'd be constantly dreading something going wrong.

Harleys are built from parts around the world, just assembled in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Holy Schweppes, I've been offline all w/end and come back to see this .......Jeebus H............

Well it ain't paint fumes, I'll tell you that. Their (frame) paint in particular must be just watercolour 'cos I've seen some recent stuff and good god but it's brutal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

OP, buy a nice KTM off the lads in Overlanders - great service and good people to deal with. Problem solved!

OP, buy a nice KTM off the lads in Overlanders - great service and good people to deal with. Problem solved!

They dont do new bikes do they ? I went down to Dublin city at the weekend to see a couple of bikes and noticed m50 honda (also KTM) is closed at the weekends !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

They dont do new bikes do they ? I went down to Dublin city at the weekend to see a couple of bikes and noticed m50 honda (also KTM) is closed at the weekends !!

Yeah, I bought my 1190 ADV off them brand new and they usually have a few new bikes in stock. M50 have always been closed on Saturday - its a big nuisance but they have the full KTM and most of the Honda range in stock. Give Gary a bell and see if he has what you are looking for!

And closed lunchtime too iirc. Madness.

I gave up and bought new in UK and shipped it in.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

galwaytt wrote: »
    And closed lunchtime too iirc. Madness.

I gave up and bought new in UK and shipped it in.

Always find this sort of stuff in Ireland utter madness. The overall majority of your customers work.

Close Monday Tuesday and open Saturday Sunday. That's obviously where the bloody money is.

They run on hours to suit themselves and not customers it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I hate when peeps confuse education with intelligence....you can have a bachelors degree and still be an idiot!!!!

I like to call them "educated dopes"

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Always find this sort of stuff in Ireland utter madness. The overall majority of your customers work.

Close Monday Tuesday and open Saturday Sunday. That's obviously where the bloody money is.

They run on hours to suit themselves and not customers it's madness.

Yep: I work selling houses (from a factory); guess what ....people don't buy houses Mon-Fri 9-5 either. If I shuttered the place like that I'd be out if business. ....

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement