Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Map update

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Any update from Garmin regarding incorporating the Eircode system as yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Shyboy wrote: »
    Any update from Garmin regarding incorporating the Eircode system as yet?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=0mFa6OpYt70Sb1fPNINAy9

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Since those devices pair with your smart phone, I suspect that eircode lookup is done online rather than it being integrated into the maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Full Coverage Europe 2020.10 now available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Alun wrote: »
    Since those devices pair with your smart phone, I suspect that eircode lookup is done online rather than it being integrated into the maps.

It actually does seem to be integrated into the maps. There is no need for the phone to be paired for it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

It actually does seem to be integrated into the maps. There is no need for the phone to be paired for it to work.

I can confirm this also - I have a Drive 51 and after the most recent update to the software for the Garmin, if you click on "Where To?" and then on the Postcode button, the search bar shows "Enter Post or Eir Code". I tried it for a few locations and it navigated me correctly each location in Donegal, each of which was rural so had no street number.

It appears to be fully integrated into Garmin like the UK postcodes, as searching on an Eircode will grey out any numbers / letters not valid in the current list of Eircodes for each digit/letter entered. I used to use Autoaddress to send the Eircode coordinates to my Garmin via the Smartphone Link app but found the bluetooth connection very hit and miss to the device - I usually had to reboot my phone in order to "see" the Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's good to know. I wonder will any of the older models get the upgrade?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Alun wrote: »
    That's good to know. I wonder will any of the older models get the upgrade?

Just checked my Nuvi 2559 LM and it does not recognise Eircodes. Map version is 2020.10

I think I may ask when it will be supported.

Just checked my Nuvi 2559 LM and it does not recognise Eircodes. Map version is 2020.10

I doubt it will ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Kalyke wrote: »

I doubt it will ever.

Surely if I have 'Lifetime' maps, they must upgrade it.

[Well, I hope so].

Anyway, If it is updated for some products, it should be simple to upgrade it to most of the others.

• Advertisement

My Dad has a Nüvi 2547 LMT from 2014 and updated his maps last night. No Eircode support added to it. He's emailed Garmin to see if there are are any plans to. From what I understand about Garmin's update policy, we get free Lifetime maps only. If he gets a reply back, I'll post an update on what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have to say I think my Garmin is pretty much obsolete. I'm curious why you guys still use them.

byrnefm wrote: »
    My Dad has a Nüvi 2547 LMT from 2014 and updated his maps last night. No Eircode support added to it. He's emailed Garmin to see if there are are any plans to. From what I understand about Garmin's update policy, we get free Lifetime maps only. If he gets a reply back, I'll post an update on what they say.

Received the following reply:
    "There are no plans to add to that device yet, so I cannot say for certain if this device ill ever have it, but at the moment it cannot unfortunately"

For some strange reason the New Ross bypass (unopened) appears on this version. Is this a first?

I have map version 2020.20 and it has the M11 from Oilgate to the N30 junction, but that junction is shown as a roundabout. Strange.

Advertisement