Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords to be responsible for ASBO tenants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Well if they apply it to council housing it might help the people that have to live near neighbours.

It needs support in that the landlord should be able to evict those that are acting anti social bit I don't think it's a crazy idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

As long as you can evict quickly an excellent idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Excellent idea. Landlords should be responsible for their premises and their tenants. They might think more before they rent out their places to absolute scrotes who inflict hell on normal people living beside them.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Excellent idea. Landlords should be responsible for their premises and their tenants. They might think more before they rent out their places to absolute scrotes who inflict hell on normal people living beside them.

I suspect some got LL are caught by seemingly good people turning out to be suboptimal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Ridiculous idea. Have the law come down on the people causing the issues.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous idea. Have the law come down on the people causing the issues.

That will never happen in this country. Fine the landlords. Get references and check people out before if you want to avoid fines. I know people who been through hell because some greedy landlord moved in total scumbags beside them. A family I knew of almost had to move out. A hard working family aswell with young kids. Gardai did absolutely nothing and landlord wouldn't return their calls. Took pressure from a whole residents association to get them out in the end. Landlord use to show up in his Merc at night to collect rent and then fly off... Scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

JJJackal wrote: »

I suspect some got LL are caught by seemingly good people turning out to be suboptimal
    I suspect it some landlords don't care and they might be more careful who they rent to

I suspect it some landlords don't care and they might be more careful who they rent to

I agree with this too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They might think more before they rent out their places to absolute scrotes who inflict hell on normal people living beside them.
    And how can the landlord get rid of the scrotes?

the_syco wrote: »
    And how can the landlord get rid of the scrotes?

Simple, don't rent to them...

• Advertisement

Some blend in well - good first impressions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Then the landlord will get fined by the WRC.

It's easy for a perspective tenant to look good, not helped by the current situation where its easier for a landlord to pay trouble tenants to move and give them glowing references, and impossible for a landlord to evict them if they turn out to be scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the government : no more denying HAP, no asking for work references, daft ad isnt even allowed ask for 'professionals only'
    landlords : but we're sick of antisocial tenants destroying properties and making everyone around them suffer
    the government : you'll also be fined when they do that.

:rolleyes:
    Absolute joke of a country.

JJJackal wrote: »
    Some blend in well - good first impressions

Those cases are in the minority. We need more accountability in this country. Place is turning into a cestpit. Gardai are far too busy to deal with antisocial tenants. Landlords will think twice before inflicting misery on communities if there are fines. Councils should also be fined alike for scrote tenants. Don't like it then sell and don't rent. Too many excuses for everything in this kip.

Those cases are in the minority. We need more accountability in this country. Place is turning into a cestpit. Gardai are far too busy to deal with antisocial tenants. Landlords will think twice before inflicting misery on communities. Councils should be fined alike. Don't like it then sell and don't rent. Too many excuses for everything in this kip.

You cant even sell your own house in this country! Difficult to get tenants out

Need a complete new framework and legislation re buying selling and renting property

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Those cases are in the minority. We need more accountability in this country. Place is turning into a cestpit. Gardai are far too busy to deal with antisocial tenants. Landlords will think twice before inflicting misery on communities if there are fines. Councils should also be fined alike for scrote tenants. Don't like it then sell and don't rent. Too many excuses for everything in this kip.

Takes 2 years to get rid of ASB tenants.
    Landlord is powerless in this country with the rights of the tenant weighted strongly in their favour.
    Can’t sell with the tenant in place.

I welcome this idea IF the government legislate for very swift elections for repeat ASB tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Great stuff & finally, and hopefully it gives landlords the power to quickly move on problem tenants. Hopefully this will also apply to local authority tenants.

Personally I think the fines should be paid to Management companies in managed estates, it'd be a small recompense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

I love the way you put 100pc of the blame on the lol. It’s not the lol that lives there. The lol isn’t being anti social. It’s the tenant. The tenant should be fined. Not the ll. Like everything. It’s being passed down to the ll yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

hmmm wrote: »
    Great stuff & finally, and hopefully it gives landlords the power to quickly move on problem tenants. Hopefully this will also apply to local authority tenants.

And what a local authority would do with such tenants? Make them homeless? LA is often the last resort, the very bottom of 'the property ladder'.

voluntary wrote: »
    And what a local authority would do with such tenants? Make them homeless? LA is often the last resort, the very bottom of 'the property ladder'.
    Make them homeless - shift them to a B&B or hostel in the backarse of nowhere, or let their family look after them. Why should I (their neighbour) care - do I not have some sort of rights here also?

• Advertisement

Make them homeless - shift them to a B&B or hostel in the backarse of nowhere, or let their family look after them. Why should I (their neighbour) care - do I not have some sort of rights here also?

Unless you can offer a realistic solution, no one will take you seriously.

Here's one option. Pay them to behave well.

Here's one option. Pay them to behave well.

sure theres already the argument that if we don't pay them they'll turn to crime, so we built the worlds most generous welfare state and this is how they behave, how much more money do we need to give them to just stop being terrible neighbours.

sure theres already the argument that if we don't pay them they'll turn to crime, so we built the worlds most generous welfare state and this is how they behave, how much more money do we need to give them to just stop being terrible neighbours.

No welfare rewards are behavior dependent at this time. The community may as well chose to pay extra for behaving within some accepted frames.

Any better ideas?

No welfare rewards are behavior dependent at this time. The community may as well chose to pay extra for behaving within some accepted frames.

Any better ideas?

well you can't fine them because our legal system doesn't let you take more than a 5er a week, you can't lock them up as theres no space, theres nowhere else to move them to. Realistically you can't effectively punish them under current frameworks and by christ would anyone find it favourable to vote for a "bonus payment" if they do such basic things like not have the police around, no loose animals and don't be partying till 5am on a tuesday.

If you can't use stick, use the carrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

the government : no more denying HAP, no asking for work references, daft ad isnt even allowed ask for 'professionals only'
    landlords : but we're sick of antisocial tenants destroying properties and making everyone around them suffer
    the government : you'll also be fined when they do that.

:rolleyes:
    Absolute joke of a country.

This latest asinine proposal came from an Opposition TD - if the government has an iota of cop-on (debatable) it will reject it.

Unless you can offer a realistic solution, no one will take you seriously.
    What's unrealistic about it? Tenants get evicted all the times for anti-social behaviour, this bill seems to be designed to just make it a bit easier.

What has always been missing in these arguments is the rights of the neighbours who have to live beside these people.

"But where will they go..". I mean it when I say I don't care, and neither I imagine do most people - the local authorities can find somewhere for them. Personally I think we should build Ballymun style towers in Foxrock or Killiney beside the houses of judges, newspaper editors and senior civil servants, and house them there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think we should build Ballymun style towers in Foxrock or Killiney beside the houses of judges, newspaper editors and senior civil servants, and house them there.

Because you just don't like judges, newspaper editors and senior civil servants? Or some other reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I do agree some LLs don't care or through inexperienced maybe end up with with a bad tenant they must take responsibility but LA's are probably the worst when it comes to managing rentals.
    Anti social behavior needs a multi agency approach with a little bit of stick.
    The TD who came out with this is just following the crowd....

No problem i choose quality over high rent i don't take HAP, Irish or a hand of nationalities i know who make trouble.

Advertisement