Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Her dubious association with Ben Rodgers aside, she is herself a legit multi-day ultra runner, though maybe not the best judge of character.

At least James Williams has proven form. I think his schedule is ambitious, but if he can get by on 4hrs rest per day and stay injury free then good luck to him.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Her dubious association with Ben Rodgers aside, she is herself a legit multi-day ultra runner, though maybe not the best judge of character.

Was actually referring to the issues around her Transcon efforts (the comments from Race Drone and the seubsequent arrests meant many are still very dubious)

At least Strava data being posted promptly (though to doubters, any more than a 15min delay means it could have been doctored!)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2397195084

Cadence, HR etc all there, looks genuine.
    Also looks like hard work and an incredibly ambitious schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

KSU wrote: »
    Was actually referring to the issues around her Transcon efforts (the comments from Race Drone and the seubsequent arrests meant many are still very dubious)

The trolls on letsrun gave her a hard time mainly because she was doing her transcon attempt not long after Rob Young and they reasoned that if one Brit cheated then the next one must be a cheat as well.

James appears to have come up about 25km short of his day 2 target, lots of walking pace, still put in 137km over 18 hours for 300k over the first 2 days.

He's on the road again after 5 hours break and tipping along nicely according to the tracker. For all his social media presence, there's scant update on status there.

• Advertisement

Williams abandoned his attempt after around 4 days 9 hours and 620km, reasonable effort but effectively 80km down on record schedule at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

It's already mentioned in the Comrades thread, but it surely deserves a mention in the main forum....

Big congratulations to Catriona Jennings on her third place finish in the Comrades today, especially given that the winner broke the female record for the "up" direction. So definitely a stellar field.

Comrades is by far the biggest ultra-running race on earth, and has a very long very distinguished history. This result is without doubt one of the greatest Irish ultra running performances of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

How come this thread missed the Jim Walmsley 50 mile run in May? Was it covered somewhere else on Boards? Some incredible paces there for a run of that length, and the guy continued to finish the 100kms. Here's the Strava activity.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2342258387/overview

Itziger wrote: »
    How come this thread missed the Jim Walmsley 50 mile run in May? Was it covered somewhere else on Boards? Some incredible paces there for a run of that length, and the guy continued to finish the 100kms. Here's the Strava activity.

Walmsley's run was amazing but the event was a corporate stunt, which is why I did not feel the urge to post about it.

Walmsley is one the best ultrarunners in America. His running style is amazing, even after 160+km. So smooth and fluid. Almost otherworldly.

but.... 50 miles... it's a metric world beyond the USA. I'd have been hugely impressed if he had broken the 100km record, which is internationally contested and is a classic ultra distance. 50 miles, is a relatively uncontested distance which most runner's wouldn't even bother checking their splits for. I was disappointed he didn't give the 100km his full focus.

He is still very young, especially in ultra running terms, though. So hopefully he'll go for it in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Starting last Friday, Paul Tierney has been attempting to break the record for completing all 214 Wainrights in the Lake District. The current record is 6days and 13 hours, and it looks like he should be finishing around 3pm today which will knock about 6hrs off the record. I've been dropping in and out of watching the tracker this week just to see if it has still been moving each morning:

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/pault19/#

https://www.inov-8.com/blog/paultierneywainwright/

Only 6 peaks left to go before getting back to Keswick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Incredible stuff. Previous record holder was Joss Naylor who set the record in 1987 before it was broken in 2014 by Steve Birkinshaw.

There’s not many people who have a record that was previously held by the legendary Joss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

All downhill now and just a scramble down Catbells to go. They were predicting between 2:30pm and 3pm finish earlier, even considering the knackered legs I think he should be done well within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

Running the length of the Royal Canal has been registered on FKT and is being attempted today to get the 1st recorded time. Starting at midnight last night. They've been running for 9 hours now. Follow updates here: https://twitter.com/royalcanalrunn1

Lovely weather for it on the longest day of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence: The 3,100-mile race around a New York block

https://www.bbc.com/sport/48702452

Is there anything that someone can't come up with for an idea of a race

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

Loved this quote about trying to fit enough calories each day during the race :D

"Aalto remembers running along while eating a packet of crisps and a passer-by shouting: 'You've got to be kidding me.' "He thought I was just out for a jog," he says."

Strange comment. That race has been going on for well over 20 years. Admittedly, it's a very strange race as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Strange comment. That race has been going on for well over 20 years. Admittedly, it's a very strange race as well!

One for you next year. We all know you like a challenge

One for you next year. We all know you like a challenge

If someone kept my wages going for 2 months while I'm off to NY ....

Honestly, I have no idea how anyone can afford doing that race financially, never mind running yourself into the ground for 2 months!

Enduro seems to be going well at the 24 hour race in Belfast. Unfortunately, OhsoSlow had a bad day with stomach issues and was forced to abandon.

• Advertisement

And the extremely rarely spotted 'Carta' in 3rd spot. Hold on for a podium now, fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Enduro seems to be going well at the 24 hour race in Belfast. Unfortunately, OhsoSlow had a bad day with stomach issues and was forced to abandon.

Gutted for Ososlo/Ultrawoman. Enduro is about to take over from Aidan Hogan it looks like. 1 lap in it 45 mins ago according to Facebook. Paula Wright has run an incredible race. Steady pacing throughout and has gone from a position in the 60s to 4th and 1st lady now. Been amazing to watch her splits.

Congratulations to Enduro! Took the lead in the last hour, sign of a perfectly executed race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Paula Wright has run an incredible race. Steady pacing throughout and has gone from a position in the 60s to 4th and 1st lady now. Been amazing to watch her splits.

Remember pacing her for a sub 60 minute in a local 10K a few years ago. Now she can come close to holding that pace for 24 hours. I hope she is still on an upward curve as she was already selected for Finland in next years World Championship.

Congratulations to Enduro! Took the lead in the last hour, sign of a perfectly executed race!

Amazing to watch the top runners keep clocking up the steady laps - making it look effortless.

Some tussle at the top of the leader board. Congratulations again to Enduro on a perfectly judged race!

Thanks All!
    That was a cracking race. A real humdinger. Report will be written ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

Tnx for the suggestions. Didn't sleep for the duration of the race, was trying to keep everything simple and efficient. When i started to hear myself pounding to hard on the pavement decided to start to walk and finished on 101 miles. It was a delight so see some of the elites and masters in the running community to make it look so smooth and perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Apollo furycreed

Enduro wrote: »
    Thanks All!
    That was a cracking race. A real humdinger. Report will be written ASAP.

Can't wait for this report

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

I know that is too soon, but are there any hints where will be next year 24hour Irish Championsip?

• Advertisement

sutrra wrote: »
    I know that is too soon, but are there any hints where will be next year 24hour Irish Championsip?

There will still be a 24 hrs race in Belfast next year but if it's going to be the Irish championship race I don't know

Advertisement