Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Pete Kostelnick now into the last 20km of his Alaska to Florida self-supported run.

A bit over 8000km in 98 days, not a bad average!

Tracker here

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The secret of endurance athletes, at least according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181106-the-secrets-of-endurance-athletes

A 100 miles trail run at 7:14 pace. :eek: That's just out of this world!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1960515123/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

He’s something else. Some of his pbs are nuts.

12 hours PB (101.66 miles)
    100 miles (11:47:21)
    50 mile time (5:12:36)
    American Record for 200k (16:33:28).

https://youtu.be/oeFNtPKqQLI

Backyard Ultra from Laz.

Crazy stuff. Love following these races but would never do one. They’re hellish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Looks like Enduro is set for a very impressive 7th place finish in Oman by UTMB - https://omanbyutmb.livetrail.run/teteCourse.php

Well done Enduro!
    Excellent 8th place finish and 1st in O50 category - 140km with almost 8000m climbing, that's some day out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

NY Times profile of Courtney Dauwalter. :eek:
    HOMEWOOD, Calif. — At 1:40 in the morning, running through the woods near Lake Tahoe, Courtney Dauwalter began hallucinating.

She saw live puppets playing on a swing set on the side of the trail. Trees and rocks turned into faces. She was on her second night without sleep, 165 miles into a 205-mile race through the mountains, pushing her body to levels considered physically impossible not long ago, and seeing very strange things in the night.

Dauwalter had been on her feet for almost 40 hours and was leading the field of 215 runners as she set her sights on a course record for September’s Tahoe 200, one in a series of very, very long ultramarathons, the latest craze among distance running’s lunatic set. Their hero is Dauwalter, a 33-year old with a reputation for outrunning men and shattering course records. She has won 11 ultramarathons and finished second in seven other endurance races.

She saw live puppets playing on a swing set on the side of the trail. Trees and rocks turned into faces. She was on her second night without sleep, 165 miles into a 205-mile race through the mountains, pushing her body to levels considered physically impossible not long ago, and seeing very strange things in the night.

Hallucinations in ultra marathons that run through the night are actually very common. Not that mine ever involved puppies.

Saves a fortune on certain kinds of recreational drugs, too! :p

• Advertisement

It took her a year but Camille Herron has figured out the 24 hrs.
    The result? A new world record! Two world records in one go, in fact!! :eek:

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/world/womens-world-24hr-record-broken/21601

To put that into context, running 162.9 miles would put her into serious contention for a medal in the men's world championships!

Wonder was she fuelling on beer this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Wonder was she fuelling on beer this time?

She had one bottle when she was going through a rough patch and walked a few laps. It seemed to do the trick.
    Fantastic race to follow. Some runner.

Good Sports Illustrated interview with her below:

https://www.si.com/edge/2018/12/12/camille-herron-24-hour-run-world-record-track-desert-solstice-162-miles?fbclid=IwAR0hhgTSFp-nPNGdOs0WoiaZtuIlEOEa-9VFT6C1TvfdnVXknycmTwgCtvU

I'll have to add that to my training plan for my next 24hr - will let you know how it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Also last weekend we had the world 24 hour champion, and at that point WR holder, Patrycja Bereznowska racing in Wicklow in the RAW 100 miles. Irish international Yvonne Naughton did very well indeed to win the race Female category, with Patrycja in second. An equally great run from another Irish International Mark Doyle to win the Male category also against some good international opposition.

And in the 50 miler I was not at all surprised to see Tom Hogan win big, and blow my old course record away.

Given the stormy conditions it was great to see such large numbers complete both distances. Irish ultrarunning is on a lovely upward curve.

Anyone have experience of running Windschoten 100km?

Looking to pencil it in to my plan for next year - 10x10km loop, flat, traffic free, 10 am. start is a luxury!
    Seems too good to be true, presume it may sell out early?

Looking to pencil it in to my plan for next year - 10x10km loop, flat, traffic free, 10 am. start is a luxury!

I haven't run it myself but they have held the World/Euro championships in 2015, and from what I've heard it was an excellent race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I haven't run it myself but they have held the World/Euro championships in 2015, and from what I've heard it was an excellent race.

I raneed it as part of the world champion in 2011. It's very flat and the locals were out in force supporting with garden parties etc. I'd highly recommend it.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I raneed it as part of the world champion in 2011. It's very flat and the locals were out in force supporting with garden parties etc. I'd highly recommend it.

Like the sound of that. I see you can also request to stay with a host family if signing up for the 100km.

Will definitely look to sign on when entries open, they even do a refund minus €10 admin fee up until mid-August, very reasonable. Course record at 6h14m ain't bad, there might be hope for me breaking 10 hours yet!

Did you fly to Groningen? (can't see any direct flights). Otherwise seems to be almost 3 hours from Schipol.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Like the sound of that. I see you can also request to stay with a host family if signing up for the 100km.

Will definitely look to sign on when entries open, they even do a refund minus €10 admin fee up until mid-August, very reasonable. Course record at 6h14m ain't bad, there might be hope for me breaking 10 hours yet!

Did you fly to Groningen? (can't see any direct flights). Otherwise seems to be almost 3 hours from Schipol.

I think (from memory) that you can get a train direct from Schipol to Groeningen. That's what I did a few years back- not for the race, for a gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

Hi , planing for xmas holidays to go jn Killarney, and try to go on Carantouhill, is there some easy route with a nice trail, or all the routes are with some tehnical stuff and will be hard to get on top. Planing on going with some normal kit that we use as mandatory kit on races, with some extra midlayer.

Check out the routes on Kerry Mtn Rescue page.

Some routes aren’t that technical at all. But the summit is pretty dangerous to descend from if weather comes in.

Devils ladder route is known as tourist route.

You’ll need to know how to use a map and compass going up. Especially this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

sutrra wrote: »
    Hi , planing for xmas holidays to go jn Killarney, and try to go on Carantouhill, is there some easy route with a nice trail, or all the routes are with some tehnical stuff and will be hard to get on top. Planing on going with some normal kit that we use as mandatory kit on races, with some extra midlayer.

Check out the Zig Zag route. I’ve seen people running that, one with a baby on his back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

jamule wrote: »

Jesus, that's some progress for a guy who didn't start running that long ago. In reality, he's probably going to need a 2:14/2:15 to have a shot. I wonder what the rest of the lads are going to do with the World Championship on next year though(it will scratch any fast Autumn marathons for them) so the window to run fast will be smaller than it was for Rio)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

jamule wrote: »

While it is a great story should be worth nothing that prior to his “running seriously” he still clocked a 9.42 2 mile (9.00 3k) and with Tim Toffleson as a friend as well he has no doubt been getting good training guidance and his background in cross country shows that he has been doing a lot right for quite some time.

Great to see the addition of depth to Irish marathon running for sure but it’s a very big jump from 2.20 to 2.16 (not impossible)

To put it into context a bit David Flynn debuted on a slower course (DCM while not overly slow is not notoriously fast like the reputation of CIM) in 2.19 this year and not one mention of him in the mix for Olympics

Will be Interesting to see how he progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

So, MCI are running a 24 hour event alongside their Back2Back marathons in Limerick on 2/3rd March.
    While that's welcome news and close enough to home for me, 2 months notice is a bit short for me to be giving this one a go.

Any takers? Will probably be there for the B2B, but otherwise sticking to my training for Belfast 24 in June.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So, MCI are running a 24 hour event alongside their Back2Back marathons in Limerick on 2/3rd March.
    While that's welcome news and close enough to home for me, 2 months notice is a bit short for me to be giving this one a go.

Any takers? Will probably be there for the B2B, but otherwise sticking to my training for Belfast 24 in June.

I'd ideally like to see them adding a 12hr event, would def have interest in it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Football Friend11

Hi guys, probably a stupid question but I’ve signed up for the connemarathon ultra as my first and been following the training plan on the site for the last few weeks and all good so far, just this Saturday it says ‘Time Trial’, now I assume this is running as fast as I can but it doesn’t mention a distance or maybe I’m being silly and can’t see it. Can anyone offer some advice?. Thanks. Link to the plan below.

http://www.connemarathon.com/18-weeks/ultra.pdf

Advertisement