Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

And if you take residential properties and use them for short term lets you do the same thing to the residential market.

However- the numbers involved have been shown to be less than a tenth those originally suggested by the Minister- which as a percentage of the residential market is a much smaller proportion than its percentage of the short term accommodation sector. We have in the region of 9,000 hotel rooms either on-stream or due to come on-stream by 2020- this is acknowledged to be roughly 1,200 fewer than needed for the greater Dublin area. Into this mix- we're tossing demand for another 1,870 rooms (possibly more- if you accept that the 1870 are whole properties and not single hotel rooms)- into the mix.

I.e. we are taking as much as 18-20% of capacity out of the current short term sector in Dublin.

The logical thing to do- would be allow construction of say another 2k hotel rooms as central as possible- however, then you'll have people come out of the woodwork stating how dare you build another 2,000 hotel rooms- when we have 10,000 homeless- we need to build social housing units instead.

The different sectors are all interlinked with one another- if you meddle in one part of the equation- you have knock-on effects in another.

Yes- it'll be good to have an additional 1,870 units hitting the residential accommodation market- however, it is to the detriment of the short term sector as a whole- which will have to take up the slack elsewhere- which means higher prices for anyone who has to visit to Dublin- which means some people just won't visit Dublin- some business just won't happen, some people relying on the availability of accommodation- will find their costs shooting up- and choose to exit whatever it is they are doing- rather than try to absorb yet higher costs.

There is a lot of integration in the accommodation sector- which is why these units worked as short term lets- if you loose them and don't replace them- the knock on effects could be massive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You are contradicting yourself. You say we can't build another 2,000 hotel rooms because people will complain yet you also say we're building 9,000 rooms between now and 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Graham wrote: »
    Resectoring/reshuffling residential property back into the residential sector is one small step in the right direction.

That's not to say there aren't other areas that need fixing/addressing.

That is not what this legislation is supposed to do. It is supposed to increase long term rental property availability. That is it's goal, to force landlords who left a punitive rental section back in. The threat is very much rent long term or leave. Many landlords chose to leave

It will, in the short term, have a very minor impact on long term rental properties, a larger effect on residential properties and over the long term contribute to the decline in numbers of long term rental landlords.

The rental policies for the last few years pretty much only favour REITs and are directly contributing to the current shortage and record high rents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Whatever the stated goal might be, returning residential property back to the housing market in any form is a good thing.

Even if there were no housing crisis, legislation of this type would be necessary.

You are contradicting yourself. You say we can't build another 2,000 hotel rooms because people will complain yet you also say we're building 9,000 rooms between now and 2020.

No- we're building in the region of 5,400 hotel beds between 2016 and 2020- ontop of the 4,000 currently present- that is a gross of 9,200 (according to Fáilte Ireland- I'm not sure why it doesn't add up). We'll have a little over 9,000 beds on stream by 2020- which Fáilte Ireland stated (before short term lets were taken out of the equation)- was to be 1,100 short of absolute necessity by 2020- and now we have another 2k units coming out of the short term sector on top of that. Thats what I meant.

By the way- when I said on-stream- I meant available- not under construction- and its the gross- pre-existing stock plus new builds- we most certainly don't have 9k hotel beds under construction- the actual number is probably in the region of 5,400 units (since 2016- and projected to the end of 2020).

Between 2018 and the end of 2020- the number of hotel beds to be added to the stock in Dublin is a little under 3k units.

We need another 3k units- but they're not even at planning stages- and even if they were- it would be 2021 or later before they could start being delivered- however, there isn't even planning in for them.

It really is ridiculous that these rules are being imposed, the property owner owes no one a home and they should be allowed to do as they please in order to make the business work the way they want and if that’s airbnb then so be it.

My own opinion is the new rules will be totally ignored by the majority of Airbnb hosts. It will be very difficult to enforce the rules and you can be sure lots of ways around things are being thought up by hosts as we speak.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No- we're building in the region of 5,400 hotel beds between 2016 and 2020- ontop of the 4,000 currently present- that is a gross of 9,200 (according to Fáilte Ireland- I'm not sure why it doesn't add up). We'll have a little over 9,000 beds on stream by 2020- which Fáilte Ireland stated (before short term lets were taken out of the equation)- was to be 1,100 short of absolute necessity by 2020- and now we have another 2k units coming out of the short term sector on top of that. Thats what I meant.

By the way- when I said on-stream- I meant available- not under construction- and its the gross- pre-existing stock plus new builds- we most certainly don't have 9k hotel beds under construction- the actual number is probably in the region of 5,400 units (since 2016- and projected to the end of 2020).

Between 2018 and the end of 2020- the number of hotel beds to be added to the stock in Dublin is a little under 3k units.

We need another 3k units- but they're not even at planning stages- and even if they were- it would be 2021 or later before they could start being delivered- however, there isn't even planning in for them.

You missed my point. You said we need another 2,000 on top of the 9,000 but can't build them because people will complain about it. Can you not see the contradiction in that statement?

Regardless, these are residential units. A shortage in the hospitality sector should not be filled by removing stock from the residential sector especially when we have a much, much larger shortage in the residential sector.

It really is ridiculous that these rules are being imposed, the property owner owes no one a home and they should be allowed to do as they please in order to make the business work the way they want and if that’s airbnb then so be it.

My own opinion is the new rules will be totally ignored by the majority of Airbnb hosts. It will be very difficult to enforce the rules and you can be sure lots of ways around things are being thought up by hosts as we speak.

Running a business requires regulations. A private home is just that. A home. NOT a business.

Running a business requires regulations. A private home is just that. A home. NOT a business.

Are all types of privately owned rental properties not businesses? Isn’t the aim to make profit by charging for the use of the property by someone else? Do you think REITs consider these huge apartment blocks their “homes”?

A house you don’t live in is not your home, particularly when it is a buy-to-let investment. This is just silly.

• Advertisement

Whether you consider it a home/investment or business isn't particularly relevant.

If it is a residential property, there is no automatic right to convert it to anything else whether for business or other reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

If it is a residential property, there is no automatic right to convert it to anything else whether for business or other reasons.

But there is no converting of the property at all. People eat, sleep and s*** in the house just like everyone else. The fact that those people are staying less than 14 days in a row appears to be the only issue.

staying less than 14 days in a row appears to be the only issue.

Correct, because then it's no longer residential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Whatever the stated goal might be, returning residential property back to the housing market in any form is a good thing.

Even if there were no housing crisis, legislation of this type would be necessary.

Returning housing at the cost of fewer rentals long term is not a good thing. It's this myopic view that has gotten us to where we are now.

:confused:

They are neither long term rentals or housing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Great, can I set up a pub in my house now? #muhpropertyrights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Those here in favour of this legislation are just been vexatious its still taking from some who need it particularly those who need to stay in a certain location for a short period of time majority of LLs chose this path did it to avoid risks protected by the state

Yurt! wrote: »
    Great, can I set up a pub in my house now? #muhpropertyrights

A simple and poor analogy. How about this: Can I continue to operate a pub in a building I own, which I have legally been doing so for years and which is designed to be a pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Dav010 wrote: »
    A simple and poor analogy. How about this: Can I continue to operate a pub in a building I own, which I have legally been doing so for years and which is designed to be a pub?

Your analogy is even worse. The actual scenario is "can I continue breaking a law which has had lax enforcement up to this point?"

The answer to the question is no.

Your analogy is even worse. The actual scenario is "can I continue breaking a law which has had lax enforcement up to this point?"

Wrong, it was legal to rent out your property for durations of your choosing up until the introduction of legislation to limit short lets. The enforcement is new, but the restrictions are also quite recent.

There was no law prohibiting this until recently- it is not the case that there was lax enforcement- it simply didn't exist. On the contrary- Airbnb and Booking.com supply the details of all rentals to the Revenue Commissioners- and have done for 3 years now- to ensure compliance with tax law.

• Advertisement

Certainly, if you're liscenced by the competent authority and aren't in violation of planning codes and laws surrounding use.

This is political, BTL landlords were acting the maggot with AirBnB, not in the least with not declaring to Revenue (thankfully partly-solved), and the social consequences were being felt. Many thought they hit the jackpot and f*ck the rest of society and having functioning cities - chickens are home to roost now. Feel free to lobby incumbent and prospective TDs at GE time trying to get them to feel sorry for you. If you can't turn a buck with these modest regulations then you always have the option to sell. Who knows, a young couple looking for a start in life might end up with the keys.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Certainly, if you're liscenced by the competent authority and aren't in violation of planning codes and laws surrounding use. This isn’t like your original analogy where you decide to set up a pub selling alcohol to the public in your house without planning.

This is political, BTL landlords were acting the maggot with AirBnB, not in the least with not declaring to Revenue (thankfully partly-solved), and the social consequences were being felt. Many thought they hit the jackpot and f*ck the rest of society and having functioning cities - chickens are home to roost now. Feel free to lobby incumbent and prospective TDs at GE time trying to get them to feel sorry for you. If you can't turn a buck with these modest regulations then you always have the option to sell. Who knows, a young couple looking for a start in life might end up with the keys.

You are still missing the point. You didn’t need a license, in this case planning, to let your house until recently, and I would class the authority in this as anything but competent.

Again, as others have posted on numerous occasions, Airbnb inform Revenue of ALL income a host earns, that does not happen in long term lets or lets on other platforms.

Acting the maggot? You mean maximising income while at the same time exiting a sector which has become ludicrously regulated with legislation which is ineffective (RPZ) and where errant tenants get protection and preferential treatment over the property owner?

I won’t lobby anyone, and I suspect most will continue to turn a buck, but it still won’t solve the housing crisis, it’s just a tiny bit of good PR for an under press housing minister. I think this legislation will be as successful in curbing short lets as the RPZ have been at capping rents. Last year rents went up on average 14% in Dublin and that was with tenants being able to bring a complaint to the RTB, DCC actually have to catch the guest in the house.

You are still missing the point. You didn’t need a license, in this case planning, to let your house until recently, and I would class the authority in this as anything but competent.

Again, as others have posted on numerous occasions, Airbnb inform Revenue of ALL income a host earns, that does not happen in long term lets or lets on other platforms.

Acting the maggot? You mean maximising income while at the same time exiting a sector which has become ludicrously regulated with legislation which is ineffective (RPZ) and where errant tenants get protection and preferential treatment over the property owner?

On your first point, you were almost certainly in violation of use laws, and probably weren't insured appropriately if you were operating it as a short term let year round.

A decision (prior to the institution of these laws) by ABP confirms this; i.e constant short –term rental in most cases would require planning permission as it amounts to a material (i.e. significant) change of use. In this instance, it was determined that there was a significant intensification of use, with regular movement of renters and servicing staff and the activity was fully commercial and let on a year-round basis. This was within the previous legal framework and the new laws double down on this principle.

Second point, good, I would hope so.

Third point, yes, acting the maggot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Has anyone got a link to the actual regulations by any chance? I haven't seen them. Are they published?

Fian wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to the actual regulations by any chance? I haven't seen them. Are they published?

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

You were acting illegally in the same sense that I would be if I ran a shebeen.

EDIT That's incorrect

You are acting in the same way as a cafe owner would be if he or she ran a shebeen.

I won’t lobby anyone, and I suspect most will continue to turn a buck, but it still won’t solve the housing crisis, it’s just a tiny bit of good PR for an under press housing minister. I think this legislation will be as successful in curbing short lets as the RPZ have been at capping rents. Last year rents went up on average 14% in Dublin and that was with tenants being able to bring a complaint to the RTB, DCC actually have to catch the guest in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks, but I am looking for the regulations which have been referred to in the media, not the recent primary legislation. The regulations which apparently provide for persons to continue with short term lets in their own home, with a 90 day limit if they are letting their entire home rather than a part of it.

Fian wrote: »
    Thanks, but I am looking for the regulations which have been referred to in the media, not the recent primary legislation. The regulations which apparently provide for persons to continue with short term lets in their own home, with a 90 day limit if they are letting their entire home rather than a part of it.

Its in the recent planning legislation- not the amendment to the RTA. I'll try get you a link later- amn't at a computer at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

An interesting lenghty piece discussing some of the issues around the changes to short term lets.

The uphill battle to police Ireland's new Airbnb rules

• Advertisement

I can’t read the article as it is a subscription piece, but Revenue automatically get all income information from Airbnb on host earnings, there are no illicit/cash payments through this platform. You probably could not find a more Revenue compliant business model. Anyone who is a host can easily print off the income statement at the end of each year, this is the same one Airbnb sends to Revenue and that is done whether the host likes it or not. So what will an audit of Airbnb hosts show that they don’t already know?

I can’t read the article as it is a subscription piece, but Revenue automatically get all income information from Airbnb on host earnings, there are no illicit/cash payments through this platform. You probably could not find a more Revenue compliant business model. Anyone who is a host can easily print off the income statement at the end of each year, this is the same one Airbnb sends to Revenue and that is done whether the host likes it or not. So what will an audit of Airbnb hosts show that they don’t already know?

It’s not subscription. Just register and read away for free.

It appears to be aimed at all short term lets and not just AirBnB. Businesses are regularly audited by revenue but they seem to be focusing on specific sectors in a sort of a blitz.

“The tax body may escalate its focus on 'short term accommodation' services following a letter campaign last year.

The Sunday Independent has learned that Revenue told a meeting of accounting and legal representatives that it is carrying out an analysis of the results of the letter phase of its 'short-term accommodation' project with a view to making a decision on a compliance project. Such projects target a specific sector to root out underpayment of tax through audits and other measures”

Good way to encourage another lump of property onto the sale market- the only pity is that it didn't happen a year ago.
    Its interesting that the property market is flatlining- while tax evasion can never be condoned- it shouldn't be allowed flourish before they do something about it.
    Proactive rather than reactive responses are what is called for.........

It’s not subscription. Just register and read away for free.

It appears to be aimed at all short term lets and not just AirBnB. Businesses are regularly audited by revenue but they seem to be focusing on specific sectors in a sort of a blitz.

“The tax body may escalate its focus on 'short term accommodation' services following a letter campaign last year.

The Sunday Independent has learned that Revenue told a meeting of accounting and legal representatives that it is carrying out an analysis of the results of the letter phase of its 'short-term accommodation' project with a view to making a decision on a compliance project. Such projects target a specific sector to root out underpayment of tax through audits and other measures”

Then that is not aimed at Airbnb, as underpayment is difficult if not impossible as Airbnb send info on host payments direct to Revenue. Sounds like a Revenue/Government puff piece.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/why-the-new-airbnb-regulations-are-unlikely-to-work-1.3929969

"And even if that doesn’t work, you might be covered by another exemption; if you’ve been in the Airbnb business for seven years or more, the council will be “statute barred” from any enforcement proceedings against the property. Although the Department of Housing says landlords “are always encouraged to regularise their position”, they won’t be legally compelled to do so. So why would they bother?"

Am I right in thinking this isn't correct given that the planning permission for most of the houses were talking about are for single family homes, they can't avail themselves of the 7 year rule?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/why-the-new-airbnb-regulations-are-unlikely-to-work-1.3929969

"And even if that doesn’t work, you might be covered by another exemption; if you’ve been in the Airbnb business for seven years or more, the council will be “statute barred” from any enforcement proceedings against the property. Although the Department of Housing says landlords “are always encouraged to regularise their position”, they won’t be legally compelled to do so. So why would they bother?"

Am I right in thinking this isn't correct given that the planning permission for most of the houses were talking about are for single family homes, they can't avail themselves of the 7 year rule?

In the event of someone claiming that the council is statute barred from planning enforcement, the onus of proof is on that person. 7 years accounst will have to be produced.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    In the event of someone claiming that the council is statute barred from planning enforcement, the onus of proof is on that person. 7 years accounst will have to be produced.

Even if it was produced, "section 157(4)(b) of the 2000 Act which provides that irrespective of the time that has elapsed, enforcement action can still be taken where a person has failed to satisfy a planning condition concerning the use of land".

Every planning application I've seen for a home states that its for a home and would be considered a use of the land. Airbnbing a whole property isn't like changing the use of a shed to a workshop its changing the whole property

4ensic15 wrote: »

I thought Airbnb only launched an Irish branch of its platform in late 2012-early 2013? Which would mean, if this is correct, that you'd have difficulty in trying to prove 7 years of short term leasing. If anyone knows exactly when Airbnb launched their Irish lettings- I'd be grateful if they could shed some light on it- I'm only going from memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I thought Airbnb only launched an Irish branch of its platform in late 2012-early 2013? Which would mean, if this is correct, that you'd have difficulty in trying to prove 7 years of short term leasing. If anyone knows exactly when Airbnb launched their Irish lettings- I'd be grateful if they could shed some light on it- I'm only going from memory.

The legislation is against short term accommodation, not Airbnb. There were other websites before Airbnb.

As it happens I did have my property on a home exchange website 12 years ago for a year or two, all other times it was occupied by myself and never rented out. I wonder if that counts, after all short term letting is not continually letting out of that property!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Then that is not aimed at Airbnb, as underpayment is difficult if not impossible as Airbnb send info on host payments direct to Revenue. Sounds like a Revenue/Government puff piece.
    Revenue don't do puff pieces. They regularly target individual sectors for compliance and they hit them hard. An audit is not to be wished on your worst enemy! ;)

is_that_so wrote: »
    Revenue don't do puff pieces. y! ;)

Government/Departments do though.

Given that Airbnb pass information on yearly income of all Hosts directly to Revenue, targeting that group for tax evasion considering there are no cash transactions to evade tax, seems odd. Revenue already have the income statement and the tax payers details.

I should add, my business has been through a Revenue Audit, you are correct, not a pleasant experience, but not too bad either.

I should add, my business has been through a Revenue Audit, you are correct, not a pleasant experience, but not too bad either.

They are firm but fair.
    They're not out to get you- but you had better be in a position to explain any questions they ask- and for any that you don't have an explanation for- just take whatever they say- its not worth the headache of fighting with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Government/Departments do though.

Given that Airbnb pass information on yearly income of all Hosts directly to Revenue, targeting that group for tax evasion considering there are no cash transactions to evade tax, seems odd. Revenue already have the income statement and the tax payers details.

True they do but if it's been announced I'd expect them to take a look at it. It may as you say turn up very little or it may find some "surprises". It's all about maximising compliance for them.

Never experienced one thankfully but I've been told that the nature of an audit depends on what they think you might be doing ...

is_that_so wrote: »
    Revenue don't do puff pieces. They regularly target individual sectors for compliance and they hit them hard. An audit is not to be wished on your worst enemy! ;)

If one has nothing to hide and are carrying on their business legally and above board, one has nothing to hide.

- but you had better be in a position to explain any questions they ask.

That is my point, in the case of Airbnb income, the question is answered before they ask, they will already have the Host income statement from Airbnb for the year being audited, how is that a crackdown?

• Advertisement

If one has nothing to hide and are carrying on their business legally and above board, one has nothing to hide.

You are missing the point, you literally cannot hide Airbnb income, the only way a guest can pay is electronically through the website, and details of those payments are forwarded to Revenue by Airbnb. It is the most tax compliant platform out there.

You are missing the point, you literally cannot hide Airbnb income, the only way a guest can pay is electronically through the website, and details of those payments are forwarded to Revenue by Airbnb. It is the most tax compliant platform out there.

I think it’s you missing the point. AirBnB aren’t the only company facilitating short term lets.

The platform may be fully compliant- however, it doesn't mean that all the hosts are......... I'd imagine there are plenty of people out there letting property on airbnb/booking.com etc- who are not declaring the income........ Its these noncompliant people that Revenue will be chasing.

I think it’s you missing the point. AirBnB aren’t the only company facilitating short term lets.

They are the one most in the media- and most in people's consciousness. If people are thinking of doing a short term let- or a short term rental- for a majority of people airbnb will be the one and only company who comes to mind. Even companies like booking.com- simply don't have the traction in people's minds that airbnb has. They may not be the only company out there- but for a majorty of people- they may as well be.

The platform may be fully compliant- however, it doesn't mean that all the hosts are......... I'd imagine there are plenty of people out there letting property on airbnb/booking.com etc- who are not declaring the income........ Its these noncompliant people that Revenue will be chasing.

The Conductor, I’m not sure if you are an Airbnb Host letting out your property, but in the hope of providing some clarity on the declaration of income, there is no Host out there who is not declaring their Airbnb income, because, it is sent to Revenue whether they declare it or not. There is no avoiding tax on Airbnb income

Reporting obligations

Airbnb Ireland is legally required under Sections 888 and 890 of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 to provide certain information in relation to Irish host earnings annually to the Irish Revenue.

Irish host earnings include:

All rental income earned by Irish resident hosts in respect of both Irish and foreign listings
    All rental income earned by non-Irish resident hosts in respect of Irish listings.
    The report is due by September every year and covers earnings for the previous year. If you received Irish host earnings during the calendar year, Airbnb is required to provide Irish Revenue with the following information (which we obtain from the details in your Airbnb account):

Your first and last name
    Address of your listing(s)
    Your address as associated with your payout method
    Amounts paid out in the reportable year, including cleaning fees
    Date of your first booking during the reportable year, by listing

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/1378/responsible-hosting-in-ireland

http://assets.airbnb.com/eyguidance/ie_new.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement