Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket sales on www.tickets.ie

Options
  • 18-06-2019 4:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Right, a Wexford man here, attempting to buy tickets (four adult and one child) for Leinster Hurling Final. It’s an unfortunate fact that we haven’t been to Croke Park too often in recent years, and when we were last there (Leinster Final 2017) I got my tickets at the office in Wexford Park, but now the County Board for some strange reason is not selling direct to the public this time. So, all things considered, this is my first time trying to use www.tickets.ie

To say the seats you’re offered there are not exactly attractive would be an understatement. Started the hunt yesterday, for Cusack Stand Lower, and was only being offered tickets in sections 314 and 315 – which according to the map here, are actually around the corner of the pitch, in what most would consider the Davin Stand rather than the Cusack.

Thought it might have been because the children’s seats are there, so did a few searches for adult tickets only, but still just got offered 314/315, or 301 at the other end – which the map suggests could even be behind the end line. Nothing at all available along the sideline itself.

A search for the Hogan Stand (if we were to pay full price for the child) isn’t much better. For the last few hours, all it’s been offering is section 336 – just as bad as 301, only at the other side of the field.

So, question to those who get to head to Croke Park more often – is it always this way? Do tickets.ie only ever have ‘bad’ tickets? Or do better tickets become available after they sell off all the ‘bad’ ones first?

And before anybody suggests buying them in the shops instead (Centra/SuperValu) – have already inquired in two of them too, and they also only had tickets for 314/315.

I suspect that the better tickets (i.e. more central) are going to the County Board, but as already pointed out, Wexford has decided not to sell to general public – only to members of a supporters club called Cairde Loch Garman. They’re currently pushing memberships at €25 each, but even at that, you can buy a limit of four tickets per membership, and we need five. So we’d actually need two memberships.

Apologies for long post, but am very frustrated about this!
    Z238.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You normally get whatever is available first come first serve. A lot of tickets in the better areas especially for games with demand go early that morning when they first go on sale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

With all due respect, I don't think that's the case here. Ticket sales went live online at 10.45 a.m. yesterday morning, and I started trying almost immediately. Mad and all as we Wexford folk are for the big occasion, I seriously doubt that every single seat from section 302 to 311 was sold in the first ten minutes.

It's not Garth Brooks we're talking about here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I have seen them selling the bad tickets first and then a few days later better ones show up.

Maybe ticket master got a share of them as well. If you factor in what the clubs and supervalues get or sold as well then it's possible.

I've been to a lot of games in Croke Park and bought plenty of tickets on tickets.ie ticket master before that. I'm nearly always in same area or section the same tickets go up at the times advertised.

I'm not sure what happened here but the tickets could of been split around different places. Tickets.ie might not of gotten certain areas right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

recyclebin wrote: »
    I have seen them selling the bad tickets first and then a few days later better ones show up.

I find the same. I generally just keep checking back until a reasonable seat appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You can pick your actual seats on Ticketmaster. Not great areas but 311 has a good few.

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/leinster-gaa-shc-final-kilkenny-v-wexford-dublin-30-06-2019/event/180056BF9DC3825C

They have another link for Bord Gais Energy Rewards. I can't see if these are better seats though.

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/bge-rewards-leinster-gaa-shc-final-kilkenny-v-wexford-dublin-30-06-2019/event/180056D1E3CEB2E5

Didn't actually realise they're on Ticketmaster as well. Any mention of sales here (local radio, Wexford GAA social media accounts, local press, etc.) only mentions tickets.ie for online sales.

311 is at least a small improvement. And I happen to have a Bord Gais Energy Rewards account, so hopefully something a little better again might show up there....

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Season ticket holders will normally get a lot of the good seats in the Lower Cusack - as a Galway Hurling season ticket holder for the last few years we always got fairly good ones 305-309. Unfortunately no trips to Croker this year :o(

For other games that I go to, I normally wait until they open up the upper decks - GAA will do all that they can to avoid this and will stick you in the front row of 301 instead of opening the Upper Cusack but if the attendance will be big enough, and i would have thought you'll get over 40,000 for the Leinster final, they will open up closer to the match and you can get much more central tickets with a better view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Leave it till the Thursday of the match. By then the central uppers will be open. Usually Cusack first and then Upper Hogan if it sells well.

Wexford will easily bring 40k if the 2017 final is anything to go by and they have an even better chance this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Leave it till the Thursday of the match. By then the central uppers will be open. Usually Cusack first and then Upper Hogan if it sells well.

Wexford will easily bring 40k if the 2017 final is anything to go by and they have an even better chance this year.

This is dead right by Diabhal Beag, don't buy until the Wednesday/Thursday as tickets come back from clubs and they open other sections/levels due to demand. Far better tickets to be found nearer to the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The middle of the lower Cusack (303 to 310 ish) usually go to season tickets

Hogans are usually going to clubs

That leaves Canals and the corners for the online retailer

As others have said, wait a while and decent upper level ones become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And look for aisles ff gg hh jj kk etc etc. You'll be dry. Anything else ie a, b, c, d etc and you're out in the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

What kinda crowd is expected for the leinster football final. Got desperate tickets for me and my sons last time out, I'm hoping to get better or even good upper level this time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I've been on my hobby horse about this for the last while with tickets.ie. For the Leinster semi finals we were right beside the tunnel the ref comes out of with the kids tickets. I've bought in 301 for the match on Sunday but only after coming up with way worse than the semi final about six times. Interestingly when I searched adult tickets only I was being offered 308 which is pretty decent. I think it's bad form to be sticking people with bad tickets, especially the prices they are now, when they bring kids.

Thanks again to all for the replies. Think we'll just hold off on buying tickets until middle of next week, and see what's available then - particularly if they open the upper deck of either stand. They can't be any worse than what's on offer right now, and might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This was really slow for the Munster final this morning. Got in eventually and got 4x tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

recyclebin wrote: »

That's exactly what they do. Wait until next week. You would get better tickets already through super Valu I would think.

Only once maybe twice at the most did i get a weird setup with tickets from tickets.ie. Ticketmaster gave me much more problems years ago.

Nearly every game ive bought tickets for over the last few years since they became the official sellers ive been given seats in same area or a little bit back depending on demand.

I always go for Cusack lower and get 308 row d on wards. Obviously some of the later games or games featuring teams that attract more fans i ended up back a bit further but still in the same section nothing crazy.

The only time in recent memory i seen something strange happen was last season in the super 8s when i ended up getting two really random seats on there own a good bit back first thing that morning then noticing later that day and the next day better closer seats being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SuperValu sell tickets from the same tickets.ie portal that the general public have access to. You won't get access to better tickets just by going into a shop.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    SuperValu sell tickets from the same tickets.ie portal that the general public have access to. You won't get access to better tickets just by going into a shop.

Yes, and have come to realise that Centra is the same. So basically, no difference between SuperValu, Centra, and tickets.ie as regards where you can get tickets for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Duffryman wrote: »
    Yes, and have come to realise that Centra is the same. So basically, no difference between SuperValu, Centra, and tickets.ie as regards where you can get tickets for.

Totally correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Right, a Wexford man here, attempting to buy tickets (four adult and one child) for Leinster Hurling Final. It’s an unfortunate fact that we haven’t been to Croke Park too often in recent years, and when we were last there (Leinster Final 2017) I got my tickets at the office in Wexford Park, but now the County Board for some strange reason is not selling direct to the public this time. So, all things considered, this is my first time trying to use www.tickets.ie

To say the seats you’re offered there are not exactly attractive would be an understatement. Started the hunt yesterday, for Cusack Stand Lower, and was only being offered tickets in sections 314 and 315 – which according to the map here, are actually around the corner of the pitch, in what most would consider the Davin Stand rather than the Cusack.

Thought it might have been because the children’s seats are there, so did a few searches for adult tickets only, but still just got offered 314/315, or 301 at the other end – which the map suggests could even be behind the end line. Nothing at all available along the sideline itself.

A search for the Hogan Stand (if we were to pay full price for the child) isn’t much better. For the last few hours, all it’s been offering is section 336 – just as bad as 301, only at the other side of the field.

So, question to those who get to head to Croke Park more often – is it always this way? Do tickets.ie only ever have ‘bad’ tickets? Or do better tickets become available after they sell off all the ‘bad’ ones first?

And before anybody suggests buying them in the shops instead (Centra/SuperValu) – have already inquired in two of them too, and they also only had tickets for 314/315.

I suspect that the better tickets (i.e. more central) are going to the County Board, but as already pointed out, Wexford has decided not to sell to general public – only to members of a supporters club called Cairde Loch Garman. They’re currently pushing memberships at €25 each, but even at that, you can buy a limit of four tickets per membership, and we need five. So we’d actually need two memberships.

Apologies for long post, but am very frustrated about this!
    Z238.jpg

Contact your local club to see if they have any. Even if you are not a member, they may have enough to facilitate your request. The tickets the clubs get are usually better than those on general sale.

Normally that's good advice, but not this time. For what it's worth, I'm actually a club official and a coach of an underage team, but that makes no difference here.

While I mentioned in my OP that Wexford Co. Board is not selling direct to the general public this time, I omitted to mention that they're not selling through clubs either. The only thing they're doing with their allocation (so far, anyway) is selling to members of that Cairde Loch Garman supporters club - in effect, putting a €25 levy on each transaction.

I think this is outrageous and I'm surprised there hasn't been more uproar locally, but that's a whole other story.

I know Kilkenny are putting tickets out through clubs there, and so are both Tipp and Limerick in Munster, so I simply don't understand why Wexford are doing things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you're a Bord Gáis customer sign up to their loyalty programme. Tickets are available for the Leinster final and you get a free match programme and a cup of tea. Not sure where the tickets are located though.

Tried that too!

Two issues:
    1 - It'll only tell you where the seats are AFTER you've already paid for them. They might be somewhere better than the tickets.ie selection, but they might be just as bad. Buying them would basically be a shot in the dark.

2 - Can only buy four tickets. As stated up top, we're looking for five. Could always buy a bundle of two and another of three, I suppose, but ideally we'd all like to be together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭kksaints

Normally that's good advice, but not this time. For what it's worth, I'm actually a club official and a coach of an underage team, but that makes no difference here.

While I mentioned in my OP that Wexford Co. Board is not selling direct to the general public this time, I omitted to mention that they're not selling through clubs either. The only thing they're doing with their allocation (so far, anyway) is selling to members of that Cairde Loch Garman supporters club - in effect, putting a €25 levy on each transaction.

I think this is outrageous and I'm surprised there hasn't been more uproar locally, but that's a whole other story.

I know Kilkenny are putting tickets out through clubs there, and so are both Tipp and Limerick in Munster, so I simply don't understand why Wexford are doing things differently.

Well, you need to pay for Davy Fitz somehow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Wow, that's strange! That's just opening it up for touts so. Makes you wonder where all the good tickets are so if they are not distributing any through the clubs. Season tickets would only account for so many.

Maybe a bit of a back story here:

Two years ago, ahead of 60,000 turning up to the Leinster Final, Co. Board put tickets on public sale from Wexford Park in what was the usual way. There were horrendous queues and all sorts of traffic & parking problems in the area. They got a lot of flak from local residents.

Ever since, it seems to have been policy to direct people to Centra, SuperValu and tickets.ie for tickets intead. That’s fine for the likes of Wexford Park (even high demand games like Kilkenny last week), because it’s all unreserved seating anyway – so long as you buy a ticket for the stand or the uncovered seating at the other side, you can still get a good seat anyway, so long as you turn up early enough on the day.

Doesn’t work that way with Croke Park though.

I know the excuse they’ll give is that ‘we’ve been telling people to use Centra, SuperValu and tickets.ie for the last two years without any complaints’, but that’s not comparing like with like.

Also to point out that while that Caride Loch Garman thing was set up two or three years ago, this is the first time they’ve really been pushing it. This whole ticket thing just smacks of opportunism to me.

Maybe another thing to point out is that we don't have a huge number of season ticket holders in Wexford. Reckon people generally buy them because of how it can entitle them to an All-Ireland ticket if their county gets that far. And sadly, despite progress under Davy in recent years (whatever people think of him!), All-Ireland tickets still haven't been an issue for us....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭LilNiall

Is it true Centra & SuperValu just get their tickets from tickets.ie? No tickets on tickets.ie for the Ulster Final but advising people they are on sale with Centra & SuperValu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

LilNiall wrote: »
    Is it true Centra & SuperValu just get their tickets from tickets.ie? No tickets on tickets.ie for the Ulster Final but advising people they are on sale with Centra & SuperValu.

Ulster final sold out since this day last week

Advertisement