Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i want mine to be personalised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

fryup wrote: »
    *there's a discussion about cycle reg plates on newstalk now

I must say I've completely lost the respect I had for Ciara Kelly from the last couple of features she's run on cycling topics.

Completely talks out of both sides of her mouth - Claims to be pro-cycling and then allows any meaningful conversation to be completely derailed by giving huge airtime to the usual angry voices spouting the same old uneducated drivel about road tax, breaking red lights, not using "perfectly good cycle paths" etc etc ad nauseum

Not only does she leave this ranting to go completely unchallenged, even worse she half agrees with it with her "I hear you, I hear you" comments.

Is it too much to expect media people to challenge mis-information with facts, or is this just part of the Trump style "fake news" world we are in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Duckjob wrote: »
    Not only does she leave this ranting to go completely unchallenged, even worse she half agrees with it with her "I hear you, I hear you" comments.
    I think this is her style, she rarely directly challenges people she has on. She's at her best when monologuing, I think.

Lumen wrote: »
    I think this is her style, she rarely directly challenges people she has on. She's at her best when monologuing, I think.

Yeah but it makes covering serious topics such as this completely worthless. If she can't challenge, she should stick to covering fluff topics like Harry and Meghan.

Yeah but it makes covering serious topics such as this completely worthless
    We possibly have different opinions of what constitutes a serious topic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I must say I've completely lost the respect I had for Ciara Kelly from the last couple of features she's run on cycling topics.

Completely talks out of both sides of her mouth - Claims to be pro-cycling and then allows any meaningful conversation to be completely derailed by giving huge airtime to the usual angry voices spouting the same old uneducated drivel about road tax, breaking red lights, not using "perfectly good cycle paths" etc etc ad nauseum

Is it too much to expect media people to challenge mis-information with facts, or is this just part of the Trump style "fake news" world we are in now?

It's Newstalk. What did you expect? Their target market is Gammon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah but it makes covering serious topics such as this completely worthless. If she can't challenge, she should stick to covering fluff topics like Harry and Meghan.

That is BS. Her show is about people voicing their opinions, It's not her job to argue with every caller and voice her pinion over them. And frankly it's tiring that when ever a woman has a show 'Harry and Megan' or other celebrity gossip topics are suggested. You'd never make the same rant about male presenters.

meeeeh wrote: »
    That is BS. Her show is about people voicing their opinions, It's not her job to argue with every caller and voice her pinion over them. And frankly it's tiring that when ever a woman has a show 'Harry and Megan' or other celebrity gossip topics are suggested. You'd never make the same rant about male presenters.

Huh? Yes I would. The fact that Ciara Kelly is a woman is irrelevant. At least it was until you brought it into the conversation.

- Road Tax (in the sense of buying a right to use the road) not existing is a fact, not an opinion.
    - Study after study disproves the notion that cyclists break the rules at greater rates than other road user groups.

Huh? Yes I would. The fact that Ciara Kelly is a woman is irrelevant. At least it was until you brought it into the conversation.

- Road Tax (in the sense of buying a right to use the road) not existing is a fact, not an opinion.
    - Study after study disproves the notion that cyclists break the rules at greater rates than other road user groups.
    No you wouldn't and you know it. Anyway you are free to call and voice your opinion. It's not just this time that loads of nonsense was said on programme and I listen a lot less more people are allowed their opinion but give me a break with Harry and Megan bs.

meeeh wrote:
    No you wouldn't and you know it. Anyway you are free to call and voice your opinion. It's not just this time that loads of nonsense was said on programme and I listen a lot less more people are allowed their opinion but give me a break with Harry and Megan bs.

Actually, I'm quite fond of that jibe and have used it more than once when talking with friends in relation to both male and female media personalities.

But I'll bow to your superior knowledge about me :pac:

• Advertisement

We possibly have different opinions of what constitutes a serious topic. :)

Was thinking more about the overall topic of cycling and its role within a good sustainable transport plan, Not necessarily the idea of cyclist reg plates.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Something seriously messed up with some people...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/sheffield-magazine-under-fire-after-call-to-razor-wire-cyclists
    Sheffield magazine under fire after call to 'razor wire' cyclists

Editor Ian Macgill says piece in which he called for pavement cyclists to be taught a lesson ‘a piece of whimsy’
    Cyclists have called for a boycott of businesses advertising in a magazine that suggested stringing up razor wire to garrotte people riding bikes on the pavement.

The editorial in Grapevine magazine, which is delivered free to 23,000 houses in Sheffield each month, recounted a conversation between the editor, Ian Macgill, and an “old chum” in which the latter said pavement cyclists needed to be “taught a lesson” using wire at head height.

So messed up
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Cabaal wrote: »
    Something seriously messed up with some people...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jun/18/sheffield-magazine-under-fire-after-call-to-razor-wire-cyclists

So messed up
    :mad::mad::mad:

Nice.

Encouraging to murder is a crime itself, so somebody notify the prosecutors office please.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

12 element wrote: »
    made it into the GCN show; 9:40 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uev0lW46Ssw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's Newstalk. What did you expect? Their target market is Gammon.

I can't help thinking of it as GammonTalk now.

Been posted before, but it fits the new name the station now bears in my mind:
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/02/23/have-your-parents-been-radicalised-by-newstalk-know-the-signs/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I can't help thinking of it as GammonTalk now.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Mc Love wrote: »

It sounds similar to the law here, or at least what I anecdotally know of the law here, that a pedestrian always has the right of way. If a pedestrian steps off the path in front of a car the driver is at fault for not expecting it. Open to correction on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

She was looking at her phone though, and the lights were green, he was only doing 10-15mph and tried to stop. He even sounded his horn, I dont believe the liability should be as high?

• Advertisement

She was looking at her phone though, and the lights were green, he was only doing 10-15mph and tried to stop. He even sounded his horn, I dont believe the liability should be as high?

I agree with you but at the same time some here argued car driver should be automatically liable in collision with cyclist or pedestrian.

Personally I think road users should be responsible for their behaviour and I find judges decision ridiculous.

I don't have a huge problem with it in principle, since its essentially application of dutch liability principles where the smallest are protested most. It would just be nice if such principles could start being applied across the board as I think on balance it would do wonders for cycle safety.

I think the cyclist in this case was quite unlucky though. It doesn't sound in this case like he was acting particularly negligently, but I guess the fact that the accident happened should be a reminder to be more mindful at all times of other people behaving stupidly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as i think i mentioned in a different thread; as the judge ruled they were both 50% responsible, and both knocked out, can the cyclist not take a similar case against the pedestrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

He had time to sound his air horn but not stop... Don't you have to take your hand off the bars to operate those?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

She was found 50 percent liable because she wasn't looking where she was going. Another cyclist gave evidence saying he was behaving aggressively. I'd assume he could sue her too if he wanted to.
    Mr Hazeldean had come through a green traffic light, and had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his Specialized roadbike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking in a bid to avoid the pedestrian.

Ms Brushett's lawyers told the judge that she could not remember anything about the crash due to "post traumatic amnesia".

However she relied on the evidence of another cyclist who had witnessed the crash and confronted Mr Hazeldean immediately afterwards.

That witness had made a voice recording at the time, accusing Mr Hazeldean of "aggressive riding" and calling him "arrogant and reckless".

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

If a car sounded it’s horn and knocked her down would you not say the driver was responsible? The green light is only an indicator that you may proceed if it’s safe to do so. It’s not an absolute right to proceed. That he sounded the horn would indicate he had seen her on the road and probably went against him.
    The judgment seems fair. They both share equal responsibility for the outcome. Perhaps he will initiate his own proceedings against her now.

The legal principle is that you're not allowed to just run people over because they're twats.

This is the kind of nanny state political correctness gone mad nonsense we have to live with these days.

The legal principle is that you're not allowed to just run people over because they're twats.

This is the kind of nanny state political correctness gone mad nonsense we have to live with these days.

No you are not but the question is when should you be financially liable when they sue for their injuries? And if we move this to Ireland where the awards are overly generous and if there is no insurance to cover them (and even if there is) this is very high price to pay for someone else's stupidity.

meeeeh wrote: »
    No you are not but the question is when should you be financially liable when they sue for their injuries? And if we move this to Ireland where the awards are overly generous and if there is no insurance to cover them (and even if there is) this is very high price to pay for someone else's stupidity.
    Well, the awards are large when the counterparty is an insurer or business. I don't know that legal actions against uninsured individuals have the same outcomes (if they ever proceed).

• Advertisement

Well, the awards are large when the counterparty is an insurer or business. I don't know that legal actions against uninsured individuals have the same outcomes (if they ever proceed).

Well in the case above it will proceed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement