Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Even if he beat RDA and never got the Mayweather fight he still would have bitten off more than he could chew. Remember him angling for a Woodley fight at WW? Either way he was always going to fall on his own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Even if he beat RDA and never got the Mayweather fight he still would have bitten off more than he could chew. Remember him angling for a Woodley fight at WW? Either way he was always going to fall on his own hype.
    Yeah he definitely would have went for Woodley if he beat RDA. And Woodley was in his prime. Dodged a bullet there. But I don't respect welterweights begging for fights with former featherweights. It would be like Mcgregor calling out TJ Dillashaw to fight him at lightweight. He hated the chap and I'm sure he would have loved to thump the head off him but he didn't even entertain the idea.

On mcgregor I can see him fighting twice more in the UFC, once in boxing and losing all 3 sadly. For a man who always spoke about making what you're worth he'll likely never make close to what he had the potential too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Yeah he definitely would have went for Woodley if he beat RDA. And Woodley was in his prime. Dodged a bullet there. But I don't respect welterweights begging for fights with former featherweights. It would be like Mcgregor calling out TJ Dillashaw to fight him at lightweight. He hated the chap and I'm sure he would have loved to thump the head off him but he didn't even entertain the idea.

On mcgregor I can see him fighting twice more in the UFC, once in boxing and losing all 3 sadly. For a man who always spoke about making what you're worth he'll likely never make close to what he had the potential too.

He could have fought for another 2 years after Eddie and really cemented his place then retired and partied as hard as he wanted.

Instead he chose the party lifestyle after Eddie and now his legacy is tarnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Won’t Happen.

He’s out tonight with a cigar hanging from his mouth and looks to be enjoying himself.

His days are numbered but I always said enjoy the ride cause it won’t happen ever again.

And so I did:)

Isn't that for his oul lads birthday?
    Can't really expect him to sit in the corner with a lucozade for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Tazzimus wrote: »

Exactly. Especially since they changed the recipe for it. Horrible stuff these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

clsmooth wrote: »
    Exactly. Especially since they changed the recipe for it. Horrible stuff these days.

That aspartame wrecked it like it wrecks everything!

I see Dana pushing 'Conor has never turned down a fight' which rang true before but if he is not agreeing with money, card placement, title/non title, etc, then yes, he is turning down fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's the only Tony vs. Conor you're likely to see anytime soon

I'd say that they slim fitting Hugo Boss would come in handy for grappling defense. Not to mention plenty of coinage in hand to use for ammo. Tony by KO

Mods can feel free to move or I'll delete post if anyone gets knickers in twist at a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Why does one have such low standards for how an elite sportsperson looks after themselves?

Would you expect Ronaldo to be smokin a cigar?!

Why does one have such low standards for how an elite sportsperson looks after themselves?

For a photo op, probably.

He's an adult, he can look after himself however he wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Not Rondaldo.....but someone better

bvuzntfieaa3wwp-1946328.jpg

and it's a cigarette tbf :D

Oh my everyone's at it

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Different sports but Fury is the darling of viral videos and content these days, especially after last night. A position McGregor owned for years. He needs a fight soon to stay relevant to the casuals imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I do wonder if he'll regret sitting out for so long when all is said and done. Sure, he's made a fortune, but time as an elite sportsman is limited and when it's gone, it's gone. Feel like he's wasted it slightly in terms of his legacy, despite all his achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Still Ill wrote: »
    I do wonder if he'll regret sitting out for so long when all is said and done. Sure, he's made a fortune, but time as an elite sportsman is limited and when it's gone, it's gone. Feel like he's wasted it slightly in terms of his legacy, despite all his achievements.

"Get in. Get rich. Get out"
    - Conor McGregor (2014)

CTE is serious business. As much as I want to see Conor fight, the old Conor. I can't begrudge any fighter getting out once they hit life changing money. It's depressing to see people fighting past their best before date. Especially when they don't need to. BJ Penn for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mellor wrote: »
    - Conor McGregor (2014)

CTE is serious business. As much as I want to see Conor fight, the old Conor. I can't begrudge any fighter getting out once they hit life changing money. It's depressing to see people fighting past their best before date. Especially when they don't need to. BJ Penn for example.

Watched the new Ali documentary and I was nearly yelling "why didn't you stop then?" at the telly after Zaire. By Manilla I was screaming it and by Holmes I was almost in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Just read this, then flicked on the Toronto Raptors Championship parade...all the players smoking big stoagies! Give Conor a break lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Just read this, then flicked on the Toronto Raptors Championship parade...all the players smoking big stoagies! Give Conor a break lads. :)

After they have won the championship.

- Conor McGregor (2014)

He hasn't gotten out though. He keeps referencing the fact that he plans on fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    He hasn't gotten out though. He keeps referencing the fact that he plans on fighting.
    Sure. But at the same time, even if he decided he was out 100%. It would still benefit his brand keep up the notion of a return. And his brand is his income these days. I'm not saying he's out (or that he's in) btw. Only he knows that tbh.

It was just a reference to the "plan" earlier in his career. And a reminder of the actual risks for fighters. I think it's funny when that people when act like a fighter is obliged to keep fighting, that they owe it to the fans or their legacy.

Sure. But at the same time, even if he decided he was out 100%. It would still benefit his brand keep up the notion of a return. And his brand is his income these days. I'm not saying he's out (or that he's in) btw. Only he knows that tbh.

It was just a reference to the "plan" earlier in his career. And a reminder of the actual risks for fighters. I think it's funny when that people when act like a fighter is obliged to keep fighting, that they owe it to the fans or their legacy.

I tend to disagree, I think his continued inactivity coupled with him constantly calling people out and talking about plans to fight makes him look like a bit of a plonker. If he retired he'd go straight into the hall of fame and would be heralded as one of the most important figures in the history of MMA.

I don't disagree about the risks fighters take, of course that's obvious. But piss or get off the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

MSG in November could be the return. Or maybe Las Vegas in September. Hopefully it will be vs Ferguson, I don’t wanna see the Diaz fight until both guys are somewhat back to their best.
    Kavanagh seemed pretty confident he can win a rematch with Khabib. The only one standing in way of that rematch is Khabib himself and his team. If his injury has healed surely Conor team should go for Ferguson in September and assuming he wins, Khabib then at end of year.

• Advertisement

Ferguson should not be fighting anyone but Khabib next. If he has any sense he'll wait for that fight

Ferguson vs Conor would be a bigger ppv and paycheck for tony than him vs Khabib. And if he beats Conor which he will be favored to do he can fight Khabib at end of year. He had a pretty easy night with Cowboy so he should be fresh for Vegas in September. MSG would be too late for winner to fight again at end of year.

Dana if you are reading this please book Ferguson vs Conor for Las Vegas in September. And if you need help arranging fights I am open to a highly paid job offer.

Tony vs Conor makes sense to be honest. Dana could stick an interim belt on the line to please the WME crowd while giving Conor his main event PPV points he demands and a payday that Tony would be pretty stupid to turn down. If Conor wins it sets up a rematch with either Khabib or Poirer which would be an easily marketed fight and Khabib couldn't technically turn it down or else he'll be stripped. Whereas if Tony wins he gets his payday and Conor can just retire knowing he just wasn't good enough at LW.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Tony vs Conor makes sense to be honest. Dana could stick an interim belt on the line to please the WME crowd while giving Conor his main event PPV points he demands and a payday that Tony would be pretty stupid to turn down. If Conor wins it sets up a rematch with either Khabib or Poirer which would be an easily marketed fight and Khabib couldn't technically turn it down or else he'll be stripped. Whereas if Tony wins he gets his payday and Conor can just retire knowing he just wasn't good enough at LW.

Yep. And he can always do the Diaz fight at end. My dream is that he beats Ferguson, then wins the rematch vs Khabib to take back the belt. And then Diaz gets a shot at the belt as crazy as that is!! Maybe even a big summer stadium show in Aviva how great would that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

The only fight for Ferguson that makes sense right now is Khabib. From an entertainment perspective Ferguson and McGregor would be good, but saying that fight makes sense right now is a stupid statement. McGregor needs to fight the likes of Gaethje or Iaquinta since Cerrone is out, hes rank number 3 on pure entertainment value.

Ferguson should not be fighting anyone but Khabib next. If he has any sense he'll wait for that fight
    Doff wrote: »
    The only fight for Ferguson that makes sense right now is Khabib. From an entertainment perspective Ferguson and McGregor would be good, but saying that fight makes sense right now is a stupid statement. McGregor needs to fight the likes of Gaethje or Iaquinta since Cerrone is out, hes rank number 3 on pure entertainment value.

Khabib vs Poirer is 4 months away. It will take another 3 months after that to have the Ferguson fight, and that's only if either of them don't have a single injury to deal with, which is highly unlikely. The idea that Ferguson is going to wait a minimum of 7 months to fight for a title and actually turn down the biggest financial earning in his lifetime is a stupid one. He just fought Cowboy because he needed to get back in the cage and start earning a living again. They want Conor back as soon as possible. Gaethje or Iaquinta aren't going to be names that will make Conor come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think Dustin knows he's in for the fight of his life. This moment is what it's all about - a dangerous man, despite the seeming skill-set disadvantage.

I'm hoping he can minimise damage early on, keep some gas in the tank and get to work. Tall order stuff, but he might be the man for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Yep. And he can always do the Diaz fight at end. My dream is that he beats Ferguson, then wins the rematch vs Khabib to take back the belt. And then Diaz gets a shot at the belt as crazy as that is!! Maybe even a big summer stadium show in Aviva how great would that be.

It's nice to dream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Tony and Conor should be prepared to step in as a late replacement. I have a feeling Dustin won't make the fight.

Advertisement