Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I watched the Tony v Cowboy fight last night. If Tony fought like that against Conor I don't think it would end well for Tony. He'll keep on hitting, but he leaves himself way too open to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Are we talking peak McGregor? peak McGregor beats both Ferguson and Cowboy on that showing ............he also puts on a hell of show against Khabib

Peak McGregor is now most likely consigned to the history books .......'when the history books are written I show up'

but I'm sorry to say the game's probably up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

We'll see where this investing in himself schtick goes, if he actually comes back improved or just ****es off into retirement with his big pile of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Khabib Poirier presser was very dull. As expected just lots of respect between the 2 fighters and no trash talking.
    Hopefully Conor is back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Shaved his beard anyway, big news I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ush1 wrote: »

What time did he have a **** at

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks for that. I went over to instagram and spotted a comment from Dillon Dannis and now I remember that douche bag exists.

Effects wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I went over to instagram and spotted a comment from Dillon Dannis and now I remember that douche bag exists.

Proper douche

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

I expect that news to be front page of MMA Fighting, Junkie etc in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dillon's an absolute gentleman in person.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »

Lots of dick heads are absolute gentlemen in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Lots of dick heads are absolute gentlemen in person.

Everyone's a dickhead to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

ASOT wrote: »

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Douche bag?

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Everyone's a dickhead to someone.

Of course but all I was getting at is he's nothing like his online persona in person, well any of the multiple times iv met him. Absolute clown on social media though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mellor wrote: »
    Charles Oliveira fights at lightweight. Most submissions in UFC history.
    Davi Ramos is an ADCC champion. Elite BJJ doesn't describe it.

Thats being pretty pedantic. Yes, technically you are right but you know what I meant. Perhaps I should have said "155 has no elite BJJ practitioners who are actually good enough to get a fight with Khabib."

Davi Ramos and Oliveira are both on a decent streak, but neither are in the top 10 and neither is fighting Khabib anytime soon. Many say the UFC rankings are a farce and I'm not saying I disagree but the fact remains its highly unlikely people outside the top 10 is even going to be considered.

You could argue that we could get some sort of pullout freakshow like when Khabib fought Al, but even then I'm pretty sure Al was in the top 10 at the time.

Oliveira probably needs to extend his win streak against top opposition to get a shot. That isn't going to happen tbh.

Tony is the only one in actual contention that has the credentials to hang with Khabib on the ground. Conor, Poirier, Cerrone, Gaethje, etc. The result is the same against all of them. If they get taken down the fight is over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Kirby wrote: »
    You could argue that we could get some sort of pullout freakshow like when Khabib fought Al, but even then I'm pretty sure Al was in the top 10 at the time.

He was ranked #11 at the time.

Axwell wrote: »
    He was ranked #11 at the time.

And Dana actually wanted unranked Felder to fight instead but the commission wouldn't allow unranked v champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,051 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats being pretty pedantic. Yes, technically you are right but you know what I meant. Perhaps I should have said "155 has no elite BJJ practitioners who are actually good enough to get a fight with Khabib."
    What you meant was clear. It's still disagree.
    I wasn't suggesting that Oliveira or Ramos should fight a Khabib next. I'm using those two to point of that elite BJJ is a poor approach to beating him.

Khabib's overwhelming advantage is grappling. So far from being the way to beat him, a grappler on the mat is at a massive disadvantage (think Gunni v Maia.)

Fresh wrestlers will get caught in guilotines and triangles all day. But a good wrestler with a decent submission base can be BJJ kryptonite. Khabib has more than a base in submissions.

I agree that Tony probably has the best chance of catching Khabib in a sub. The way Khabib shut down the legs will nullify any 10th Planet Rubber Guard offence. But if Tony goes back to his paragon Brabo game he could lock one up in a scramble.

Although they probably do still talk, knowing kavnaghs personality, tweets like these are sly digs at Conor.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1138797936786251776?s=19

• Advertisement

Although they probably do still talk, knowing kavnaghs personality, tweets like these are sly digs at Conor.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1138797936786251776?s=19

Not a fan of kavanagh at all. He is far more arrogant than Conor, except he tries to disguise it by acting all intellectual and thoughtful. He would be nothing without Conor.
    And as for idiot clown younger Showbiz brother......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Khabib Poirier presser was very dull. As expected just lots of respect between the 2 fighters and no trash talking.
    Hopefully Conor is back soon.

So you'd prefer name calling, insult shouting, can throwing, belt stealing, acting the maggot childish behaviour over respectable, professional behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

evil_seed wrote: »
    So you'd prefer name calling, insult shouting, can throwing, belt stealing, acting the maggot childish behaviour over respectable, professional behaviour?
    You weren't asking me but I'll respond anyway. I miss the early UFC Conor press conferences. He used to make jokes then and have a laugh with the other fighters while also slagging them. He also used to let them speak and react to what they were saying instead of the more recent version who just cuts them off to shout insults at them. Probably the Aldo ones are where he went full on at them, probably due to the fact Aldo doesn't speak English so Conor could just keep going on an on.

evil_seed wrote: »

Yes.

Autecher wrote: »
    You weren't asking me but I'll respond anyway. I miss the early UFC Conor press conferences. He used to make jokes then and have a laugh with the other fighters while also slagging them. He also used to let them speak and react to what they were saying instead of the more recent version who just cuts them off to shout insults at them. Probably the Aldo ones are where he went full on at them, probably due to the fact Aldo doesn't speak English so Conor could just keep going on an on.

Agreed.
    Everyone loved the old Conor. But things started to change in the build up to the 2nd Nate fight, and with Mayweather build up it all just turned over the top nasty. I think Conor just list the plot a bit really when he became a global megastar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not a fan of kavanagh at all. He is far more arrogant than Conor, except he tries to disguise it by acting all intellectual and thoughtful. He would be nothing without Conor.
    And as for idiot clown younger Showbiz brother......

Always found him very approachable and pleasant. A fantastic trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Danzy wrote: »
    Always found him very approachable and pleasant. A fantastic trainer.

Fair enough on that; but he knows when to turn-it-on imo.

Can see right-thru-him

And with Mayweather build up it all just turned over the top nasty. I think Conor just list the plot a bit really when he became a global megastar.

It just became about making as much money as possible.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Douche bag?

Jaysus

You don't think he's a douche bag. What term would you prefer?

• Advertisement

So khabib wants to fight again end of the year. Assuming he beats Poirier, surely someone in Conor’s team must be telling him he has to beat Ferguson in September/October and then maybe Khabib May agree to lucrative rematch and chance at redemption/title.

Advertisement