Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Apology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nobelium wrote: »
    Not quite, correct she didn't want to marry him, and she didn't have to put the child up for adoption, but she didn't want to care for it. She could have kept her child and her job, just like previous female guards did at the time. It was her choice to put the child up for adoption.

I’m lost !

She could have kept the child and her job but decided not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just trying to understand this.

So the guy wanted to marry her, but she said no way and instead put the child up for adoption against her will?

Job or her baby was the bottom line

She made the decision to give up her child

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

I’m lost !

She could have kept the child and her job but decided not to?

Correct. Other female guards who found themselves in a similar situation at the time did exactly that.
    Edgware wrote: »
    The Commissioner and Minister doing the PR job and announcing an apology. The correct approach would be to meet Majella in person.

The Garda regulations of the time obviously had a catch all charge " bringing the Garda Siochana into disrepute"
    I do know of a female Garda who became a single mother also around that time and she received a transfer to near her family home and kept the baby. Does that mean different approaches to this situation occurred in different Garda areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

dudara wrote: »
    ^^Put yourself in the shoes of a woman in Catholic Ireland back then. Many women gave up their children rather than face the social “outrage”. It was a different time, and while we would like to believe that we would behave differently if we were in her shoes, I’m not so sure that we would.

The whole of Irish society was deeply dysfunctional back then. People like to lay the blame at the feet of the Catholic Church, but I would say the whole of society was messed up......even the general population were dysfunctional.

And also turned down the offer of marriage from the dad?

• Advertisement

Incorrect, she could have kept the child and her job, like others did, but she didn't want to look after the child.
    The Commissioner and Minister doing the PR job and announcing an apology. The correct approach would be to meet Majella in person.

The Garda regulations of the time obviously had a catch all charge " bringing the Garda Siochana into disrepute"
    I do know of a female Garda who became a single mother also around that time and she received a transfer to near her family home and kept the baby. Does that mean different approaches to this situation occurred in different Garda areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Seemingly the father of the child was fined £90 for shagging a fellow garda recruit. But no apology for him from Drew or Charlie, nor any offer to give him back the £90 plus interest.

Equality my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

And also turned down the offer of marriage from the dad?

Seems so

Seemingly the father of the child was fined £10 for shagging a fellow garda recruit. But no apology for him from Drew or Charlie, nor any offer to give him back the £10 plus interest.

Equality my hole.

No. He was fined 90 quid

This was after he asked her to marry him and she said no.

Confusing story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

she didn't want to look after the kid.

Repeating this doesn't make it true, and I've no idea how you came to this conclusion.

She was 22 and getting a lot of pressure from all sides.

• Advertisement

Seemingly the father of the child was fined £10 for shagging a fellow garda recruit. But no apology for him from Drew or Charlie, nor any offer to give him back the £10 plus interest.

Equality my hole.

£ 90, but yes he was charged, faced a disciplinary inquiry and found guilty and charged. Her charges were dropped, she faced no disciplinary inquiry, and was just cautioned. The male guard also offered to marry her, but she refused and didn't want to look after the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

90 pounds was my first weekly wage at that time. Not sure how much a garda recruit would be on.

riemann wrote: »
    Repeating this doesn't make it true, and I've no idea how you came to this conclusion.

She was 22 and getting a lot of pressure from all sides.

Other female Gardai who found themselves in the same position kept their children and their job.
    I do know of a female Garda who became a single mother also around that time and she received a transfer to near her family home and kept the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why are people acting like she is completely to blame for her situation because she didn't want to get married (to a person who I assume was a casual partner) in a country where divorce wasn't an option at the time?

I haven't heard the interview but from the article I read, it seems like she would have kept the child if she wasn't put under pressure to adopt from all sides.

The male guard also offered to marry her, but she refused

She owes him £90.

Other female Gardai who found themselves in the same position kept their children and their job.

I don't think you can say she just didn't want to look after the child. That's simplistic. Probably knew she didn't have the wherewithal to do it by herself and didn't want to marry him.
    But I do think she made her choice and I don't agree with her blaming others for that decision.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why are people acting like she is completely to blame for her situation because she didn't want to get married (to a person who I assume was a casual partner) in a country where divorce wasn't an option at the time?

I haven't heard the interview but from the article I read, it seems like she would have kept the child if she wasn't put under pressure to adopt from all sides.

Who's blaming her for not getting married ? and she could have kept the child if she wanted to look after it. Other unmarried female guards at the time did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

She didn't want to get married, she didn't want to look after the child, and now she wants to sue the state . . .

You just made that up.

Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Elemonator wrote: »
    In fairness, she is due a lot of compensation.

The horrible concept of illegitimate children are just imaginary sticks religious nutjobs use to beat others they think are inferior.

I'm the child of a man who had an extra marital affair, should i sue his wife for my existence and the subsequent years in state care because she wasn't doing a good job on my father (a state employee at the time) in bed? My mother was only a school girl who wasn't even at junior cert age when he shacked up with her so can't blame her.

Allinall wrote: »
    Shame on you.

Shame ? lol some things never change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

She owes him £90.

what were the wages of the day in comparison to the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Shame ? lol some things never change

Yep.

Arseholes will always be arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

She owes him £90.

For what?

MrFresh wrote: »
    For what?

Getting him into trouble, of course. :rolleyes:

Allinall wrote: »
    Yep.

Arseholes will always be arseholes.

If the pair of them had used that orifice then the problem would never have arisen.

This is from The Sun, not sure if it's correct but if it is, the Archbishop only got involved because she herself through CURA made the situation known to him.

"In 1985, with the disciplinary proceedings still hanging over her, Majella was told by a colleague that they heard she was going to be sacked.
    In turn, Majella spoke to Mena Robinson, from CURA, the Catholic Church's Crisis Pregnancy Agency.
    A meeting followed between the then Garda Commissioner Larry Wren, Archbishop Kevin McNamara, and and Ms Robinson in the Archbishop’s Palace.
    Majella told the documentary: "Mena came back to me after that meeting, and told me that Archbishop McNamara turned to Larry Wren and said ‘If you sack Majella, you’re opening the gates to England’."

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

judeboy101 wrote: »
    She knowingly had sex outside marriage and an illegitimate child with a fellow recruit , in a time where rightly or wrongly, would bring disrepute to the office of garda. What did she think would happen?

You are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm the child of a man who had an extra marital affair, should i sue his wife for my existence and the subsequent years in state care because she wasn't doing a good job on my father (a state employee at the time) in bed? My mother was only a school girl who wasn't even at junior cert age when he shacked up with her so can't blame her.

Why not blame the person who "shacked up with" and impregnated an underage girl and then seemingly abandoned her and the child? It doesn't seem like the two women in the situation described had much choice over what happened.

Sixtoes wrote: »
    You are scum.

Translation: I disagree with you but haven't the ability to articulate why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Translation: I disagree with you but haven't the ability to articulate why.

You are scum also. Get a life you prick.

Mod

Banned

Advertisement