Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like some plastic with that?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This thread needs to be moved to the politics café before it starts getting nasty.

Everything should be moved to the politics cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

"Plastic pollution is so widespread that people may be ingesting 5g a week, the equivalent of eating a credit card, a study commissioned by the environmental charity WWF International said on Wednesday."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

The people used for the study calls results into question. 'Kids with a Cadbury Eclair addiction were randomly selected to measure plastic consumption in humans'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There’s no doubt that the vast majority of us are consuming some plastic on an annual basis.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

We're gonna die anyway.

why not get there quicker

Any research/findings commissioned by an activist group can be taken with a grain of salt.
    Keep your head buried in the sand then.

If there's plastic in bottled water, then doesn't this mean that there must therefore be plastic particles in fizzy drinks, juices, coffee and alcohol too? In fact wouldn't there be more plastic these than water? There should be more clarity on whether this is tap water (urban supply or private well) or bottled water. If there are "3.8 fibers per liter" in EU tap water, then I can't see that coming to a credit card size of plastic per week!

What I'd actually be more concerned about is the size of the plastic particles that are ingested, and not the total weight consumed per week. I heard someone on the news say that one source could be that the plastic in bottled water is slowly being dissolved. If that's true, then such particles can't be seen with the eye, and I can't see such a source adding up to the weight of a credit.
    I'd like to get a straight answer to this.

And why is honey mentioned?

Conchir wrote: »
    This has caused changes to fertility and feeding behaviour in some cases (one paper I read was on oysters: ingestion of micro-polystyrene caused a reduction in sperm count, egg size and occurrence, and feeding behaviour was changed. Another concerned medaka, a type of fish found in rice fields; after exposure to micro-polyethylene, estrogen receptors in females were reduced, affecting fertility).
    And yet no one can come up with an answer as to why male sperm counts are down.

Advertisement