Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like some plastic with that?

Options
  • 12-06-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

People may be ingesting ‘credit card’s worth’ of plastic each week.

Link

Bon Appetit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ah for the days when all we had to worry about was eating spiders in our sleep. Simpler times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have no idea what that means nor do i care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I have no idea what that means nor do i care.

That's the plastic eating away at your insides.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We're all living longer though. Must be good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

We're gonna die anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Any research/findings commissioned by an activist group can be taken with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My flexible and tasty friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any research/findings commissioned by an activist group can be taken with a grain of salt plastic.

FYP

We are living longer because plastic doesnt break down like that crappy flesh stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

That would explain where all my money is going!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Who cares, almost all food we eat is detrimental to our health these days

Even the moralistic, high horse healthy eaters are consuming very little to what they believe they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

BeerWolf wrote: »
    People may be ingesting ‘credit card’s worth’ of plastic each week.
    So is the 'credit card' now the SI unit of plastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So is the 'credit card' now the SI unit of plastic?

Just as "the size of Belgium" is the internationally recognised unit for rain forest depletion.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

My "credit card's worth" is zero. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Even the moralistic, high horse healthy eaters are consuming very little to what they believe they are

Hate to break it to you, but plastic isn't food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That’s right. Even the salads are made of processed shrapnel . Greens, eggs the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It’s probably affecting your masculinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Plastic ingested by sea life (from plankton-size up to large fish) has been shown to have detrimental effects. These can include disruptions to the endocrine system, affecting the organisms' hormones. This has caused changes to fertility and feeding behaviour in some cases (one paper I read was on oysters: ingestion of micro-polystyrene caused a reduction in sperm count, egg size and occurrence, and feeding behaviour was changed. Another concerned medaka, a type of fish found in rice fields; after exposure to micro-polyethylene, estrogen receptors in females were reduced, affecting fertility).

Research in the area is moving pretty fast, I won't be surprised if we see new findings on humans soon. We know humans are consuming plastic; the next finding of note would be plastic passing from the digestive system into the bloodstream, rather than simply passing through the body. After that, it may be a case like that of marine organisms, or it may have no adverse effects. My money would be on the former. Some common additives to plastic are already known to act as endocrine disruptors and carcinogens in humans, so if they have the potential to pass into the human body it may well have an effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was surprised when it said water was the highest culprit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Conchir wrote: »
    Plastic ingested by sea life (from plankton-size up to large fish) has been shown to have detrimental effects. These can include disruptions to the endocrine system, affecting the organisms' hormones. This has caused changes to fertility and feeding behaviour in some cases (one paper I read was on oysters: ingestion of micro-polystyrene caused a reduction in sperm count, egg size and occurrence, and feeding behaviour was changed. Another concerned medaka, a type of fish found in rice fields; after exposure to micro-polyethylene, estrogen receptors in females were reduced, affecting fertility).

Research in the area is moving pretty fast, I won't be surprised if we see new findings on humans soon. We know humans are consuming plastic; the next finding of note would be plastic passing from the digestive system into the bloodstream, rather than simply passing through the body. After that, it may be a case like that of marine organisms, or it may have no adverse effects. My money would be on the former. Some common additives to plastic are already known to act as endocrine disruptors and carcinogens in humans, so if they have the potential to pass into the human body it may well have an effect.

Yesh, it's sad. Plastic was one of the very worst things ever invented. I cannot believe sometimes how much plastic there is in the world. How much utter crap made out of plastic we buy. How much everything is wrapped in it. The always differing shapes and complex pre-moulded forms it has taken on even to enclose a stupid memory stick which in its turn is made of plastic. Ugh. And then all the things that do not look like plastic but really are - fake materials in clothing or furnishings that are essentially plastics. And it is saturated in chemicals. We are fcuked. Okay, I'm going to go on a little walk now to cheer mysef up in a non-plastic woods. Bah. :(

Another reason to grow your own water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sometimes I have to eat my cards to stop me buying crap from Amazon.
    Just as "the size of Belgium" is the internationally recognised unit for rain forest depletion.

How many football fields is there in a Belgium?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Zorya wrote: »
    Yesh, it's sad. Plastic was one of the very worst things ever invented. I cannot believe sometimes how much plastic there is in the world. How much utter crap made out of plastic we buy. How much everything is wrapped in it. The always differing shapes and complex pre-moulded forms it has taken on even to enclose a stupid memory stick which in its turn is made of plastic. Ugh. And then all the things that do not look like plastic but really are - fake materials in clothing or furnishings that are essentially plastics. And it is saturated in chemicals. We are fcuked. Okay, I'm going to go on a little walk now to cheer mysef up in a non-plastic woods. Bah. :(

Unfortunately though, it's a very complex issue. Plastic has really made the modern, globalised world we live in. Things like transport and trade rely heavily on plastic; without it, planes, cars and trucks would be much heavier, requiring more fuel to run. Plastic has also done wonders for food safety, though it has gone completely off the scale in the West with plastic packaging. Plastic is also used in medicine.

It comes down to a number of things, from consumer choices to waste and water management, and to plastic alternatives. No single approach will solve it. One thing you see often is that we should just move to biodegradable plastic; that ignores the fact that biodegradable often only means something in an industrial composter built specifically for that; discarding biodegradable plastic in the sea or a field will do nothing. Management of plastic after its use is probably more important an issue than moving to biodegradable.

That's before you get into the fact that plastics are products of the fossil fuel industry; I think it's something like 6-8% of global oil production goes towards plastic.

Maybe Graphene can come to our rescue. There is plenty of discussion about it as a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Conchir wrote: »
    Unfortunately though, it's a very complex issue. Plastic has really made the modern, globalised world we live in. Things like transport and trade rely heavily on plastic; without it, planes, cars and trucks would be much heavier, requiring more fuel to run. Plastic has also done wonders for food safety, though it has gone completely off the scale in the West with plastic packaging. Plastic is also used in medicine.

It comes down to a number of things, from consumer choices to waste and water management, and to plastic alternatives. No single approach will solve it. One thing you see often is that we should just move to biodegradable plastic; that ignores the fact that biodegradable often only means something in an industrial composter built specifically for that; discarding biodegradable plastic in the sea or a field will do nothing. Management of plastic after its use is probably more important an issue than moving to biodegradable.

That's before you get into the fact that plastics are products of the fossil fuel industry; I think it's something like 6-8% of global oil production goes towards plastic.

Yeah, I know it's complex, though I did not know as detailed as that - and I also think there is no going back. Another Pandora's Box we humans opened that cannot be closed. Even substitutes will be man made efforts most likely and in a few decades we will discover we are somehow coated in that too.
    But aside from all the necessary things like transport, medical devices etc., there is just so much unnecessary stuff. Waffle makers, constantly updated coffee making machines, another plastic gizmo for the baby, 4 triply plastic wrapped pears that never ripen anyway. We have got to stop buying this crap. Meh. My cheering woodland walk was way too short, because I am quite sick at the moment. Bah again. Shakes fists weakly at omnipresent plastic. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's good there is so much recent attention on this plastic stuff.
    We really need to get to cleaning up all that crap asap.
    By "we" I mean to make the nations that pollute the seas to do it, with our help of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

biko wrote: »
    It's good there is so much recent attention on this plastic stuff.

You just know a whole bunch of people have already, or will dismiss the recent attention as the next hyped up climate nonsense by do-gooder leftists. Hopefully the fact that they can show actual pictures of plastic waste rather than studies and other and scientific nonsense it'll be harder to dismiss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This thread needs to be moved to the politics café before it starts getting nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I really wish they wouldn't sell plastic bottles of coke etc around schools. The kids in Dublin seem to buy them constantly and just f*ck them around the place. You shouldn't be allowed sell them anywhere near schools because of this, never mind how unhealthy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Something something credit crunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

biko wrote: »
    By "we" I mean to make the nations that pollute the seas to do it, with our help of course.

So pretty much every nation on the planet to some extent?

Advertisement