Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,824 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

threeball wrote: »
    That entire situation is farcical.

Yeah Galway and Clare win 2 games and are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That entire situation is farcical.

It's complete stupidity that the McDonagh teams get in at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭threeball

Limerick went up to fulfill a fixture today, they will be a different beast in Two weeks

Doubt that. Tipp have their number. When limerick couldn't work it through the middle they were goosed. No plan b. Tipp will go though you or over you. Forwards far better than limerick too and didn't even fire today.

PTH2009 wrote: »

The GAA come up with the most convoluted competitions you could imagine. An outsider would laugh in your face if you explained it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Doubt that. Tipp have their number. When limerick couldn't work it through the middle they were goosed. No plan b. Tipp will go though you or over you. Forwards far better than limerick too and didn't even fire today.

Hannon massive loss today , totally different game in 2 weeks time . Injuries will play a big part .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

C__MC wrote: »
    It's a farce laois and westmeath are back in for two hidings. Th

Should be Clare v Dublin
    Cork v galway

Winners advance.

Disagree, both laois and westmeath will be at home and gives that level of team something to aim for.
    Clare and galway know the rules and cant have any complaints. Letting the teams that come 4th remain in all Ireland would be a farce.

The GAA come up with the most convoluted competitions you could imagine. An outsider would laugh in your face if you explained it to them.

Finish in the top 3 and you're through? That's hardly convoluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Farcical system where it's possible limerick will lose three games and still be in a quarter final

Bringing in teams from division 2 to the competition after some of the main division one teams have been eliminated isn't ridiculous or convoluted? Tell me one other sport where that would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

And they both lost twice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Disagree, both laois and westmeath will be at home and gives that level of team something to aim for.
    Clare and galway know the rules and cant have any complaints. Letting the teams that come 4th remain in all Ireland would be a farce.

To get two trimmings, I disagree totally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

I think it’s a very good system. Not perfect, but no system will be perfect where you have 7 to 9 teams at top level and where you are trying to offer the next 3 or 4 an opportunity to join the elite.

Everyone knows what you have to do at the outset to qualify so being salty when knocked out will gain no sympathy from the 8 Counties still involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can remember when it was rolled out on rte tv during the fixtures show they do, and Ger Canning sounded lost half way through explaining the hurling set up.

I'm not saying Clare or Galway should be in it still but laois and westmeath certainly shouldn't. They do not deserve to enter the competition at such late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Grats wrote: »

Clare lost two alright, but Galway (for what it's worth) only lost against Dublin.

Bringing in teams from division 2 to the competition after some of the main division one teams have been eliminated isn't ridiculous or convoluted? Tell me one other sport where that would happen.

They shouldn't get back in, but 4th shouldn't either. 4 out of 5 teams getting through would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Grats wrote: »

Galway only lost once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm not saying Clare or Galway should be in it still but laois and westmeath certainly shouldn't. They do not deserve to enter the competition at such late stage.

What does it matter. They're unlikely to win anyway, the big counties knocked out have had their chances for 2019. If there was an upset to happen, think what a result like that could do for hurling in Laois or Westmeath.

eigrod wrote: »
    I think it’s a very good system. Not perfect, but no system will be perfect where you have 7 to 9 teams at top level and where you are trying to offer the next 3 or 4 an opportunity to join the elite.

Everyone knows what you have to do at the outset to qualify so being salty when knocked out will gain no sympathy from the 8 Counties still involved.

One game against top opposition is absolutely no good to them and totally undeserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

One game against top opposition is absolutely no good to them and totally undeserved.

It’s an additional game for them. An opportunity to test themselves against one of the top 9. Right idea in my opinion. Otherwise you’re closing the door to emerging Counties forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Would prefer the combination of the league and provincial round robins into one based on the 2 provincial groups like the rugby pro14 is done. Each team would play each other once (9 rounds of matches). This would remove the need for teams to have a bye in each round making it fairer for everyone and also reduce the amount of repetitive/ “meaningless” matches. The top team in each province would progress to their provincial finals while the top 2 teams overall play off in the league final. The bottom 4 in each group would play off in provincial quarter and semi-finals. Munster and Leinster champions play in the All Ireland final.

Kilkenny have already played Wexford 3 times this year and will play them again, potentially twice if both reach the AI final. Same for Limerick and Tipp.

There’s no denying the new format has brought a buzz to proceedings but that doesn’t mean it’s without fault.

Additionally could you imagine the benefits a team like Carlow (who were arguably unlucky in their games this year) would get from playing 9 top level matches compared to the 4 currently.

They shouldn't get back in, but 4th shouldn't either. 4 out of 5 teams getting through would be ridiculous.

Again when did I say 4th should be still in. Please quote me.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Limerick only looked at half-pace today. They are in a Munster final despite themselves.

Anthony Daly more or less said they would prefer to finish 3rd just as they did last year when he saw their line-up.

It will be interesting to see how they approach the Munster final.

Again when did I say 4th should be still in. Please quote me.

Some have and I'm not going to individually reply to ever post. Live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Last Stop wrote: »
    Would prefer the combination of the league and provincial round robins into one based on the 2 provincial groups like the rugby pro14 is done. Each team would play each other once (9 rounds of matches). This would remove the need for teams to have a bye in each round making it fairer for everyone and also reduce the amount of repetitive/ “meaningless” matches. The top team in each province would progress to their provincial finals while the top 2 teams overall play off in the league final. The bottom 4 in each group would play off in provincial quarter and semi-finals. Munster and Leinster champions play in the All Ireland final.

Kilkenny have already played Wexford 3 times this year and will play them again, potentially twice if both reach the AI final. Same for Limerick and Tipp.

There’s no denying the new format has brought a buzz to proceedings but that doesn’t mean it’s without fault.

Additionally could you imagine the benefits a team like Carlow (who were arguably unlucky in their games this year) would get from playing 9 top level matches compared to the 4 currently.

I think there is a case made to abolish the league and provincials and have a single 10 team top division and each team to play each other once from march through june with a break in the middle for club games. Top team is crowned league champions. Top 2 through to all ireland semis and 3-6 into AI quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Should the fourth place teams play the Mickey mouse teams from mcdonagh? And then rest of tournament remain as is.

Hard to see how two two loss teams from munster qualified while a one loss team from leinster are out.
    Very unfair on galway.

Some have and I'm not going to individually reply to ever post. Live with it.

You quoted me and you were wrong so back it up or be man enough to admit it.

Should the fourth place teams play the Mickey mouse teams from mcdonagh? And then rest of tournament remain as is.

Hard to see how two two loss teams from munster qualified while a one loss team from leinster are out.
    Very unfair on galway.

Doesn't matter how many wins or losses they have. Finish top 3 and go through, don't finish top 3 and don't go through. Everyone knew this before the championship so there's no need for the lemons now.

You quoted me and you were wrong so back it up or be man enough to admit it.

No, I'm not into these tactical boards games you're playing. What I said was right so you'll just need to wind it in or get over it because I'm not one bit worried about what you're thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Limerick going all out to win the AI by losing 3 matches :D

Advertisement