Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shakedown at Dublin airport, Circle-K / McDonald's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

But your point is irrelevant as those who parked and had no intention of going to McDonald's could just make a purchase after being clamped to escape the unclamping fee.

As happened in this case,if he had gone into McDonalds on his way back from shop and then back to his car,but he came straight back from shop to car on seeing car clamped

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Vehicle_Clamping__Signage_Regulations_2017.pdf

Even within this scenario you should afaik have a 10 minute grace period, report the clamping company to the relevent authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

tcawley29 wrote: »
    But they didn't do it first, personally I think the clamper was right here.

All the clamper knows when they arrived is that a car parked and two people left the car to go somewhere other than McDonalds

There were spaces closer to circle k. If I’d wanted to go to circle k purely I would have parked there. I parked in the McDonald’s one cos I was going back there *immediately* after buying one thing. Which I did *immediately* after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

McDonald's customers having trouble with clampers is nothing new..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You need to go back and do them over.
    Park in McD. Enter Mcd. Have friend dressed similar exit Mcd, walk in the general direction of your car then stop turn around and head off site leaving car at Mcd.
    Clamper will jump into action.
    When clamper is in action, report to mcd manager that they are clamping your car while having your lunch.
    Sit back and watch the head scratching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mickdw wrote: »
    You need to go back and do them over.
    Park in McD. Enter Mcd. Have friend dressed similar exit Mcd, walk in the general direction of your car then stop turn around and head off site leaving car at Mcd.
    Clamper will jump into action.
    When clamper is in action, report to mcd manager that they are clamping your car while having your lunch.
    Sit back and watch the head scratching.

Clamp goes on and they won't remove it until its paid, then you have to appeal to get your money back.
    Best to have a cordless angle grinder with you and tell them they have 60 seconds to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Clamp goes on and they won't remove it until its paid, then you have to appeal to get your money back.
    Best to have a cordless angle grinder with you and tell them they have 60 seconds to remove it.

thats the route i would go down too.

or call the guards, if your receipt shows you in mc ds at the time they clamed you then its theft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Can we try that in english this time please?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sad story.....

One of our drivers was clamped ( we deliver items to customers in Dublin city, we have a clamping budget.........) on Dolier Street (kinda normal cars park in the loading bays and dont get clamped...) so he was clamped and the clamper a smug type chap like from the OP knew our van and waited for the go ahead to unclamp (how ****ing nice) he mentioned to our driver about his bonus for every clamp used. Our driver kinda got upset about being clamped and the dudes boast about getting more money so may have abused him a teeny bit.

So our driver was unclamped and moved to his next delivery/collection spot, loading bay taken by a car.....clamped by the same extremely happy clamper guy.

And again on to the next spot...clamped again by what now must be pure coincidence the same guy....

In the end it was 4 clamps in one day, we average 8 a year between 11 vans servicing Dublin City, in every case there was a car parked in the designated loading bay area that we normally use that didnt get clamped......

TLDR them fcukers will remember your reg if you abuse them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sad story.....

One of our drivers was clamped ( we deliver items to customers in Dublin city, we have a clamping budget.........) on Dolier Street (kinda normal cars park in the loading bays and dont get clamped...) so he was clamped and the clamper a smug type chap like from the OP knew our van and waited for the go ahead to unclamp (how ****ing nice) he mentioned to our driver about his bonus for every clamp used. Our driver kinda got upset about being clamped and the dudes boast about getting more money so may have abused him a teeny bit.

So our driver was unclamped and moved to his next delivery/collection spot, loading bay taken by a car.....clamped by the same extremely happy clamper guy.

And again on to the next spot...clamped again by what now must be pure coincidence the same guy....

In the end it was 4 clamps in one day, we average 8 a year between 11 vans servicing Dublin City, in every case there was a car parked in the designated loading bay area that we normally use that didnt get clamped......

Tldr the driver has no idea what he is doing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

quad_red wrote: »
    There were spaces closer to circle k. If I’d wanted to go to circle k purely I would have parked there. I parked in the McDonald’s one cos I was going back there *immediately* after buying one thing. Which I did *immediately* after.

I understand what happened but you were not a customer when you were clamped.

It's a brutal situation to be in but unfortunately it's just an expensive lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭This is it

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sad story.....

Your driver is not the sharpest tool in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

What would happen if there were two people in the OP's car and one went into McD and one went into CircK? Should you still get clamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

OP, that Circle K / McDonalds site is a mess, one of the busiest in the country for traffic with poorly designed entry and exit roads and lots of taxis and cars.
    Unfortunate to hear of this carry on there taking advantage of it. Imagine this was a tourists first experience of Ireland. Add Dublin Airport / DAA to your social media list of people to get onto. It’s only going to get worse there as some genius has decided to build office blocks in the airport, it’s like the bloody IFSC in there now. Imagine trying to catch a flight at rush hour, airport and office traffic double whammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

My brother in law and the family came into dublin airport yesterday (moving back to Ireland!) and in the jigs and reels a bag got left at dublin airport. Had to drive him 2 hours back to Dublin airport today to get the bag.

After I dropped him at Terminal 2 I made my way over to the McDonalds on the airport campus. Plan was to get two cans of Monster and two scratch cards (an in-joke from our days driving long distance in the states) and two burgers from McDonalds.

Stopped at McDonalds and walked to the Circle-K 20 metres away to get the Monster first (made sense to get hot food second given I didn't know how long he was going to be). Did glance at the signs saying they were for customers only which was fine - i was getting food. Was approx 60 to 100 seconds in CircleK and walked back towards McDonalds. I glanced over at my car and to my ****ing astonishment it was clamped.

Cue one of the most enraging experiences I have ever had as two smug clampers informed me that the McDonalds car park was only for customers. They dismissed my attempts to say I was going into McDonalds and said that the small signs made it 'clear'. So they sit on their bonnets waiting to clamp people instantly.

The signs were tiny, half way up poles. In the third paragraph they said that if people 'left the site' they would be clamped. Even if I had read that I would have assumed that meant people trying to use the mcdonalds car park who were going to the airport. There was no mention of CircleK

So I am now 125euro down because I chose to get the two f**king cans of drink first before getting the burgers.

This is such sharp practice. I appealed to the clampers and said I was only two mins to which the guy smugly replied 'it was less than that'. The other guy said they'd done 'loads of people today'.

Is there any way to appeal this or am I wasting my time? I've been clamped before for forgetting to renew my parking at the train station which was upsetting but my fault etc. but never anything like this.

Absolutely gutted.

It wouldn't have mattered either way.. If you got food first and then left to go to the petrol station the outcome would be the same

It is sharp practice as you say but them's the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i know the object of the exercise is to stop people parking there to avoid car park charges but the clampers are taking advantage of this to make money and the site owners should jump on this straight away. It's not clear where the circleK ends and McD's starts and they should be regarded as one site for the purposes of the original intention

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Isambard wrote: »
    i know the object of the exercise is to stop people parking there to avoid car park charges but the clampers are taking advantage of this to make money and the site owners should jump on this straight away. It's not clear where the circleK ends and McD's starts and they should be regarded as one site for the purposes of the original intention

Tbh it's pretty clear(or was when I was last there) where circleK ends and McD's starts, there's a small wall separating them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

You are a victim of both McDonald's and Circle K refusing to tackle the main issue,which is taxis and limousines taking 90% of the parking in both businesses.
    Mytaxi have introduced a queueing system for non permit taxis called a virtual rank(uber do too,to a lesser extent),where the driver has to be in the grounds of the airport to keep their place.
    As anything over an hour in the zone 18 pick up car park is €7.50, we park the only place in the airport where it's free and stay with our cars.The clamper then has very few vehicles to have a chance to clamp....and you were one.

Doesn't matter there should still be a 10 minute grace period for the payment to be effected, even if the payment is buying a burger.

Suppose you needed to get cash from the ATM to pay for the burger

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Doesn't matter there should still be a 10 minute grace period for the payment to be effected, even if the payment is buying a burger.

Suppose you needed to get cash from the ATM to pay for the burger
    Pay by card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The receipt you then get from McDonalds for burger purchases should qualify you for use of their car park

The time on the receipt would be after the clamping. No go there I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Root cause : Dublin airport is a shytehole

Nobelium wrote: »
    Root cause : Dublin airport is a shytehole
    You do realise that the Circle K and McDonald's premises are leased from the DAA and how they are run has nothing to do with them ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

vandriver wrote: »
    You do realise that the Circle K and McDonald's premises are leased from the DAA and how they are run has nothing to do with them ?

Horseshyte that the DAA can't put in any lease terms and conditions.

Would you think it's unreasonable that you have to use a business to park there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

lawred2 wrote: »
    The time on the receipt would be after the clamping. No go there I'd say.

No doubt the clampers watched his movements after parking his car and by him not directly going into McDonalds gave them the go ahead to clamp his car,probably cameras would back up this happening as well,but if he did collect a McDonalds meal whilst on way back from shop,how would that work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah what happens if you go straight into McDonalds to order, go to the shop while they're making the food (they're slow as **** compared to what they used to be anyway) and go back in to pick it up? Can the dirty bastards clamp you in that scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Would you think it's unreasonable that you have to use a business to park there?

Of course it's reasonable that the business's can protect their parking which is the bedrock of their commercial operation.
    However the OP did use a shop and had the intention of using a second one.

He was ambushed, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Angle grind that clamp off.

• Advertisement

Pay by card.

Customers choice, maybe he needed more cash for later.

Advertisement