Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shakedown at Dublin airport, Circle-K / McDonald's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

spurious wrote: »
    Many waiting there are for pickups. Looks like a new motorway service style place opening across the road from the skoda dealers on the old airport road. It may have some waiting/parking spaces.

Yeah that’s why they have a clamper van there. The guy told me that people were parking there and then going to collect/drop off people! Got to the stage where there was no parking for customers. I can see where they’re coming from but think clamping someone for needing to use the toilet is a bit harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110445527

Thread here about the same issue. Seems like theres very little recourse for appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Has anyone a recent picture of the sign warning of clamping in operation? I am pretty sure it does not state McDonalds customers on the sign. It only states "customers". You cannot know is it's McDonalds or Circle K customers. :) Just appeal on the grounds the sign does not state McDonalds, so you cannot know to which car park or company it applies.

Edit: Unless they've changed the signs recently^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There's no way that the 'walk away' bit is legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Passing today and took a picture. No mention of McDonalds or Circle K. "Customers" could relate to either company.

Appeal on that grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Passing today and took a picture. No mention of McDonalds or Circle K. "Customers" could relate to either company.

Appeal on that grounds.

it seems to me they need to define what the site is as it isn't necessarily obvious that there are two sites there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Titanucd wrote: »
    Just a quick heads up for anyone heading to Dublin Airport and planning to use the McDonald’s or the Circle K on the way out of the airport.

If you’re going to McDonald’s go to their car park! If you’re going to circle K DO NOT PARK IN MCDONALDS!

Dropped the daughter to the airport this morning. Decided to get a coffee and a muffin before heading home. Looked like McDonald’s was drive through only and I was bursting for a wee! So I parked in McDonald’s and walked across to circle K. Felt the sweet relief of urinating after holding it for ages and toddled back to my car to drive around and get my coffee.

I parked at 04:21. I returned at 04:26 to find a clamper walking away from my car! He said I was clamped because I left the premises!

€125. That’s right €125 for a piss!

Paid it with my card and immediately filled out the appeal online but I won’t hold my breath!

Worst thing is the guy had been sitting in his van parked behind me and could easily have just told me not to park there if I wasn’t going into McDonald’s but decided to be a dick and let me walk off.

Either way I doubt I’ll get anywhere with the appeal because no doubt the clamper will have been “technically” correct.

TLDR: read the damn post! I’m trying to make sure nobody else gets stung!

If the times are correct then appeal under using the NTA's guidelines.

Legal Bit SI 421 of 2017
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Vehicle_Clamping__Signage_Regulations_2017.pdf Part 2 Section 5 Subsection a and A

Appeal on that grounds.

Thanks for that. When they turn down the first appeal I will appeal to the NTA and use this as exhibit A! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

Appeal on that grounds.

Same outfit who is doing the shakedown in Hollywell, in Swords too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/113/enacted/en/html

And more open for debate but you could argue that immobilising is a form of taking possession.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/112/enacted/en/html

A publically accessible car park may be private property but it's definitely a public place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/113/enacted/en/html

And more open for debate but you could argue that immobilising is a form of taking possession.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/112/enacted/en/html

A publically accessible car park may be private property but it's definitely a public place.

But they would have lawful authority and reasonable cause to clamp/relocate a car. They are PSA and NTA regulated. You can’t make a criminal case of a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Same outfit who is doing the shakedown in Hollywell, in Swords too.

What shake down in holywell?? You mean the park and ride people who take up spots in little Harvard??

peteb2 wrote: »
    What shake down in holywell?? You mean the park and ride people who take up spots in little Harvard??

Less park & ride & more vulture related.

Less park & ride & more vulture related.

Former resident. Problem was the offices setting up and enforcing their spots. Forced people into little Harvard spots and we couldn't pick up kids so RFC and permits brought in! Perfectly sensible.

Former resident. Problem was the offices setting up and enforcing their spots. Forced people into little Harvard spots and we couldn't pick up kids so RFC and permits brought in! Perfectly sensible.

Offices own buildings & are in hock to vulture.

Offices own buildings & are in hock to vulture.

We're dragging this off thread.....but offices aren't owned by Albany homes or any David Daly related firms. They are owned by a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

We're dragging this off thread.....but offices aren't owned by Albany homes or any David Daly related firms. They are owned by a doctor.

Actually the offices are owned by a company which is a subsidiary of another company. there is a charge by a vulture fund agains't the company that was registered on the 30th November 2018.

The charge is against 4 properties, one in Hollywell, one in Rolestown and two in Malahide.

whattow never mention Albany Homes or any David Daly related firms, and i can confirm they ain't owned by a Dr either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

ants09 wrote: »
    Actually the offices are owned by a company which is a subsidiary of another company. there is a charge by a vulture fund agains't the company that was registered on the 30th November 2018.

The charge is against 4 properties, one in Hollywell, one in Rolestown and two in Malahide.

whattow never mention Albany Homes or any David Daly related firms, and i can confirm they ain't owned by a Dr either.

Now we are reaaaaally dragging things off topic :D Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Homer wrote: »
    Now we are reaaaaally dragging things off topic :D Jesus wept

If you think so then report the post.

I was just reply to the poster above me

• Wording is purposefully vague to maximise profit.

Similar happened to a wan I know. She parked in a Subway (I think) went in, got her food, put it in the car and went to garage next door.

Came back and two Subway employees were blocking the clamper trying to clamp her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

ants09 wrote: »
    If you think so then report the post.

I was just reply to the poster above me

DONE!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Back on topic. This thread has nearly run its course by the looks of it

Well I was hoping that McDonalds or DAA would have made some sort of comment but it probably didnt get any traction outside of this page.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Back on topic. This thread has nearly run its course by the looks of it

Oh Don't close it until I let everyone know how my appeal went please!:)

I'm fully expecting it to be overturned!**

** Lies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Well I was hoping that McDonalds or DAA would have made some sort of comment but it probably didnt get any traction outside of this page.

Ive never seen a representative from either post on boards. Wishful thinking on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Titanucd wrote: »
    Oh Don't close it until I let everyone know how my appeal went please!:)

I'm fully expecting it to be overturned!**

** Lies :(

Told you earlier, if they don't overturn it themselves then the NTA should overturn it, purely based on the grounds of the elapsed time not being 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why didn't you then go into McDonalds and say your car clamped and you being a customer buying burgers in their premises

That is exactly what I would have done.

Also, isn't it illegal to clamp a car without giving ten minutes grace?

GBX wrote: »
    Ive never seen a representative from either post on boards. Wishful thinking on your part.

I didnt mean here. I meant on facebook or something like that.

At least they didn't park a broken up banger with a clamp on up in the parking spaces :eek:.

So the latest on this:

I hadn’t received any acknowledgment that my appeal had been received when I filled in their online appeal form so last Friday I rang them and they assured me that it would have been received but they didn’t email acknowledgment ever!

I rang again this morning and the guy I spoke to said:

You did it online? Ohh you would have been better off emailing it!

So I emailed the appeals address asking them to confirm they had received it and got an auto reply saying thanks for your appeal!

I’m going to have to start again amnt I?

Think it might be time to talk to Joe! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Read Section 20 of the Vehicle Clamping Act 2015.

If you don't get a response within 21 days of your original submission of appeal just escalate to the NTA and mention to the NTA that the clamper failed to comply with Section 20 of the Act, which is an offence it can be fined for.

Advertisement