Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I find it very interesting that you take issue with this but haven't mentioned the callousness and indifference shown towards the women effected by our draconian laws when the 8th was still in place.
    That's why we changed the law and that's why we have made abortion safe and legal.
    Try to focus on that instead of overreacting to one comment.

Im talking about the topic and reacting to others comments being made, I don't think I should have to start every comment outlining the history of the topic and everything Im for and against so I can have an opinion.
    I was on the fence and voted to repeal but I want it to be safe but given the recent stories coming out, I question our health services ability.

I'll decide what I choose to focus on thanks, without your permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Im talking about the topic and reacting to others comments being made, I don't think I should have to start every comment outlining the history of the topic and everything Im for and against so I can have an opinion.
    I was on the fence and voted to repeal but I want it to be safe but given the recent stories coming out, I question our health services ability.

Again, what happened is nothing to do with our health service since repeal.

Prior to repeal this couple would have gone to the UK for an abortion.

Im curious to understand why you refuse to see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Can't stop misdiagnosis regardless of our laws

....... wrote: »
    Again, what happened is nothing to do with our health service since repeal.

Prior to repeal this couple would have gone to the UK for an abortion.

Im curious to understand why you refuse to see this?

I understood that the couple only sought an abortion due to the child being mis-diagnosed with a fatal foetal abnormality.

I understood that the couple only sought an abortion due to the child being mis-diagnosed with a fatal foetal abnormality.

Indeed.

This would have equally been the case pre-repeal.

Except they would have sought the abortion in the UK.

Do you understand this? Repeal has absolutely zero impact in this case.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

This would have equally been the case pre-repeal.

Except they would have sought the abortion in the UK.

Do you understand this? Repeal has absolutely zero impact in this case.

Yes I understand this. I'm upset that our health service failed these people with such tragic results, Do you understand this ?
    Just because mis-diagnosis happens doesn't mean I should just shut up on a message board. Do you understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Not really misdiagnosed though, Test #1 and Test #2 are a bit limited in accuracy sometimes

Test#3 two weeks later is as near 100% as you'd get

They didn't wait the two weeks for Test #3

Why did they not wait ? Time pressure maybe ?

Late geriatric pregnancy c/w baby rabies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes I understand this. I'm upset that our health service failed these people with such tragic results, Do you understand this ?
    Just because mis-diagnosis happens doesn't mean I should just shut up on a message board. Do you understand this?

you are putting it forward as a failing brought about as a result of the decision to repeal. Whether we voted to repeal or not this would still have happened and the couple would have been in a worse position that they were as they would have had to travel for their abortion.

Do you? So why would you have voted differently? Why would voting differently even be a consideration in this case?
    If I had heard this during the campaign I would have voted differently.

Our health service was failing FAR more people pre-repeal. It was failing thousands and thousands of women annually who wanted abortion services. They would have been worse off pre-repeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The history is very relevant, because you are implying something like this wasn't possible pre-repeal and that simply isn't true.
    It would have happened, just not here. They would have had the added trauma of having to travel to the UK.

• Advertisement

you are putting it forward as a failing brought about as a result of the decision to repeal. Whether we voted to repeal or not this would still have happened and the couple would have been in a worse position that they were as they would have had to travel for their abortion.
    Still would have happened yes, a sad truth. Maybe I expressed myself badly/too emotively after reading a comment. I was trying to convey I was on the fence like a lot of people during the campaign and stories like this with an attitude of hey gotta break a few eggs might have swayed peoples votes, who knows ? would it have swayed mine, I don't know really. Ill keep myself quiet next time

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Still would have happened yes, a sad truth. Maybe I expressed myself badly/too emotively after reading a comment. I was trying to convey I was on the fence like a lot of people during the campaign and stories like this with an attitude of hey gotta break a few eggs might have swayed peoples votes, who knows ? would it have swayed mine, I don't know really. Ill keep myself quiet next time

there is no reason for this tragedy to have swayed your decision on repeal. there is no link between the two.

The history is very relevant, because you are implying something like this wasn't possible pre-repeal and that simply isn't true.
    It would have happened, just not here. They would have had the added trauma of having to travel to the UK.

Im not implying that at all. I would be just as sad for these people no matter where the procedure took place pre or post repeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Hardcharger

You sound a bit hysterical and triggered.
    You won't get anyone to listen to your viewpoint or respect your opinion if you are being needlessly hostile, aggressive, and name calling.

Attitudes like yours are exactly why you lost the referendum. You only have yourself to blame here.

The referendum was lost because a majority of people are perfectly fine with murdering children

They danced and cheered with joy reviling in murder in Dublin Castle yard.

It is absolutely evil and obscene

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yeah the glee was perhaps a little misplaced considering the subject matter but it had to be done.

The referendum was lost because a majority of people are perfectly fine with murdering children

No they really didnt and that you interpret it that way is a true sign of the lengths that pro lifers will go to to twist a narrative.

They danced and cheered because finally Irish women no longer have to suffer a shameful and secret trip to a different country to access basic healthcare.

Women no longer have to be stigmatised by committing an illegal act.

Women no longer have to risk their health with online pills.

Living, sentient, conscious women, women who have other children, who have terrible news with wanted pregnancies, who have been raped, who have had contraceptive failure, whose circumstances change and pregnancy is no longer an option for them. All of those thousands of women, who were taking risks with online pills or skulking off to the UK or Germany or Denmark.

They cheered and danced because those thousands no longer have to suffer.

No one wants to have an abortion. But sometimes its the only choice left available.

If you could dial back the hate spewing for a minute to realise this, or put yourself in the shoes of someone who is suffering a crisis pregnancy you might have more empathy for real living sentient people.

Spoken like a person with a truly narrow, judgmental, hateful viewpoint who only sees a uterus and not the women attached to it.

She is a living breathing woman with a family and friends who love her. She has wants, needs and feelings all of which matter and should be respected.
    She is more important than the contents of her womb.
    She is worth far more than a pre 12 week gestated fetus.
    Her body, her life, her choice. Not yours to impose on or interfere with.

You don't have to like it but you should afford others the respect you'd expect yourself when it regards private medical matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Why do you care about the female unborn? You hate females.

Oh yeah his other post referred to women hitting "the wall" (the line of the non laid) and being hit with "baby rabies". Talk about proof he doesn't give a sh1t about the unborn! :D

Why do you care about the female unborn? You hate females.

Oh yeah his other post referred to women hitting "the wall" (the line of the non laid) and being hit with "baby rabies". Talk about proof he doesn't give a sh1t about the unborn! :D

Its all about control. He couldn't care less about any baby, be it male or female, the second it leaves the birth canal. All he cares about is getting one up on women in any way possible.

This Helen Lovejoy-esque faux concern is so transparent its almost funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If you could dial back the hate spewing for a minute to realise this, or put yourself in the shoes of someone who is suffering a crisis pregnancy you might have more empathy for real living sentient people.

You don't have to like it but you should afford others the respect you'd expect yourself when it regards private medical matters.

Do you guys think he's remotely likely to take your advice on board?

• Advertisement

Hmmm....brand new poster.
    Spewing hate against women.
    Contradictory hate filled posts in controversial threads.

Probably not.

Probably not but preaching tolerance is more likely to work than trying to convince him to change his opinion on the matter.

I believe its still important to call out hate spewing and demonstrate why repeal was a more compassionate choice for the people of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Probably not but preaching tolerance is more likely to work than trying to convince him to change his opinion on the matter.

Well given that he made this comment on the case under discussion
    The parents murdered their own child. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

I find it hard to see that he is any more likely to accede to what you are saying about respect regarding private medical matters than he is about the issue of abortion per se. I just don't see the point in engaging with this sort of poster on any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Spoken like a person with a truly narrow, judgmental, hateful viewpoint who only sees a uterus and not the women attached to it.

She is a living breathing woman with a family and friends who love her. She has wants, needs and feelings all of which matter and should be respected.
    She is more important than the contents of her womb.
    She is worth far more than a pre 12 week gestated fetus.
    Her body, her life, her choice. Not yours to impose on or interfere with.

Again I should point out I voted yes, but think there is very dubious morality here. Mentioning 'wants', no way 'wants' are more important that a 'gestated fetus'. That's genuinely appalling.

Totally get abortion for people who are raped or going to lose the child within minutes of birth or who could die themselves without the abortion. But having an abortion is a big deal, they should not be had lightly.

Having a child is one of life's greatest gifts, if not its greatest. The 'contents' of a womb are very, very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Again I should point out I voted yes, but think there is very dubious morality here. Mentioning 'wants', no way 'wants' are more important that a 'gestated fetus'. That's genuinely appalling.

Thank you firstly for simply ignoring my first post reply to you. It is always nice to make an effort and not have it returned. I guess.

To the point though, I am not sure what your issue is with the word "wants" but perhaps I can frame it in completely different language just to pre-empt the possibility of a battle of pedantic language debate between you and any interlocutor.

I believe morality is in the business of ensuring the well being of sentient agents. If you think I am wrong in this please let me know how and why!

"Wants" is merely a simple word to express that a sentient agent is in play. It might be a crass or base way to express that, but it is certainly sufficient. I would not fault its use.

The concerns of a sentient agent ARE more important than non-sentient agents which have no concerns. No concerns AT ALL. Of any type.

In that sense yes "wants" are more important that a gestating fetus of 12-16 weeks which is the age well over 95% of abortions by choice actually happen.

Because if we are going to have a moral and ethical debate, then our primary concern has to be with agents for whom we should have moral and ethical concerns. The mother is such an agent. The fetus is no more such an agent than a rock or a table leg.

If you can think of ANY reason why we should have moral and ethical concern for a non sentient construct..... you would literally change my view of abortion..... and actually my view of quite a number of other subjects too.... literally over night. And I would change those views without hesitation, reservation, embarrassment or hostility. In fact I would likely thank you for it and literally hold a party in your name. I love being shown where I am wrong. To be shown I was THAT wrong for THAT long..... I would laud you as my personal hero for as long as I draw breath.
    Totally get abortion for people who are raped

Do you get it? I genuinely hope you do because I do not. This is one of the areas where I disagree with my fellow pro choice people. I genuinely do not get why rape is relevant. And I never have.

Let me explain why.

If like me you do not think a fetus has rights..... then rape is not relevant. Any woman can get an abortion at any time. Rape simply has nothing to do with the situation.

If however you do believe the fetus has rights, specifically and most importantly a right to life, then those advocating a rape caveat are advocating a position that the fetus should forfeit that right..... one of the most primary rights we hold dear as a species..... because of a crime it was neither the perpetrator of, nor the temporal victim of.

Which for me is a hard moral position to parse. How often have you come across situations where bystanders forfeit rights for being the witness of a crime? Let alone their most fundamental rights?

There are a lot of posts and threads on this forum on the subject of victim blaming. Like blaming the victims of rape for wearing the wrong clothes or similar.

The opinion of Abortion you espouse here for me goes beyond blaming the victim into the realm of blaming, and then condemning, the bystander.

And that is a moral position I simply can not parse. So I truely hope you can "get it" because you would be the first person ever who can explain it to me. And I genuinely want to understand it. Is it anything more than an empathy for the victim of rape? Or is there something deeper than that I am missing?

Thankfully since I do not see a 12-16 week old fetus as a moral agent..... I do not have to force rape to be congruent to my views on abortion.

The referendum was “lost” because the majority of people showed compassion. Instead of having to leave the country to carry out abortions, they can now have one in their own country.
    The reasons they have abortions are theirs and theirs alone.

The main reason I voted to repeal the 8th was personal experience of a miscarriage. I wasn’t even given paracetamol for the horrendous pain until there was no longer a heartbeat and I was on the point of collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I like how you put it Mary. I put it a different way but I like yours too.

I think the reason we got the right vote in the referendum is that abortion more than any other subject has united us as a species in asking the question "What does it actually mean to be human" and forces us to ask the questions of "What are ethics, what is morality, where do these things come from, what are they for, and how can we improve them".

And the more and more we ask those questions, the more and more we realise that moral and ethical concern demands of us that we hang those concepts on things that actually deserve them. That while we might feel emotional when we see a tongue flapping around on a medical screen...... or while taxonomy might tell us that some blob of biological matter is "Human"...... that morality and ethics demands we go one step further than our emotive responses to arbitrary subjective lines in the sand.

And when we really understand what matters in our world, and our universe, we realise that in and of itself a fetus does not. Neither in and of itself.... and certainly not in relation to the concerns (wants!) of actual sentient agents like the pregnant PERSON housing it.

The only moment that a fetus matters is when there is someone for whom it justifiably matters TO. A pregnant woman who in the knowledge that there is a life growing inside her chooses to put her hands to herself and say the words eternal.... I am having a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Totally get abortion for people who are raped or going to lose the child within minutes of birth or who could die themselves without the abortion. But having an abortion is a big deal, they should not be had lightly.

Having a child is one of life's greatest gifts, if not its greatest. The 'contents' of a womb are very, very important.

I’m always interested in this. How would administering abortions to rape victims work in practical terms? Like, if we just allowed abortions for FFAs, danger to the mother’s health and rape. Bearing in mind that it’s hard to secure a conviction in rape cases and even if successful, the pregnancy would almost certainly be completed by the time the case concluded, what would be the process for a person who is pregnant via rape to be given an abortion? How would proof of rape be established within the abortion window?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I’m always interested in this. How would administering abortions to rape victims work in practical terms? Like, if we just allowed abortions for FFAs, danger to the mother’s health and rape. Bearing in mind that it’s hard to secure a conviction in rape cases and even if successful, the pregnancy would almost certainly be completed by the time the case concluded, what would be the process for a person who is pregnant via rape to be given an abortion? How would proof of rape be established within the abortion window?

In practical terms, for rape cases, it simply wouldn't work, for the reasons you just gave and why a period of access to abortion "on demand" was sought.

Advertisement