Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

• 11-06-2019 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

logo.png

Releasing on May 15th 2020
    The game features an original story and delivers the definitive Avengers gaming experience. Assemble into teams of up to four players online, master extraordinary abilities, customize a growing roster of Heroes, and defend the Earth from escalating threats.

Marvel’s Avengers begins at A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco — including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

Featuring regular content updates, Marvel’s Avengers will take players on an epic journey delivered over multiple years. This game is what’s next for the Avengers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just picture North when Tony talks, he's way too recognisable. The presentation was disappointing as we still don't know how the game plays but apparently there is an open demo over the next couple of days so we should at least hear how it plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is the first feedback I've seen on the hands-off demo - PCGamesN. Will need to see more of course, but at the moment it all sounds rather bland. The real test (for me, anyway) will be seeing how well the different skill sets/play styles of the different characters work together. If all missions can be completed by just beating the crap out of the enemy with Hulk and/or Thor, then I don't see it having the longevity they want. If genuine teamwork and tactics are needed though, utilising all the heroes' skills, it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Does anyone else get the smell of mobile gaming off this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm really not sure about this one, it seems like a lot to try and do all at once and I'm afraid that the net result will be that everyone's not as polished a playing experience as we might like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a weird decision to stick relatively close to the MCU visual design and world aesthetics, but have completely different faces for the characters. It's jarring, and makes the character models look shoddier than they are; I keep squinting to try and 'see' Chris Evans, but it's clearly not meant to be him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a weird decision to stick relatively close to the MCU visual design and world aesthetics, but have completely different faces for the characters. It's jarring, and makes the character models look shoddier than they are; I keep squinting to try and 'see' Chris Evans, but it's clearly not meant to be him either.

Agreed. It certainly lends itself to that 'uncanny valley' problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I will say this and that's given how big marvel is right now you think the game would have been in a better visual shape.
    I still keep thinking about Spiderman for the PS4. It debuted with a bang and a lot of people were talking about it. Also had some gameplay elements to show too.

Some people believe "something" went wrong during this development. Which would explain why it went dark after being announced so long ago.
    Video game development can often be described as an egg and spoon race. But rather than having a brisk walk while balancing the egg you are full on dashing as fast as you can hoping you make it to the finish line with everything in tact.

I've never built a game (obviously lol) so I can only go on others words so game development really does seem like a messed up project to make. All teams working towards one goal and all hoping everything comes together before the penultimate deadline.

So perhaps, as others suggest, something went wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 danham

Hi there. I even haven't known that Marvel games exist. Can someone give some review or your personal experience on these games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

danham wrote: »
    Hi there. I even haven't known that Marvel games exist. Can someone give some review or your personal experience on these games?

The game mentioned above isn't due for release until May next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Use their faces and you've to pay them.

Yeah, I can understand why they didn't go with the MCU likenesses. But if you have to come up with new physical appearances, then do the same for the uniforms, vehicles etc (or take them from the comics/animated shows). Using the exact attire/ships as the movies means people will inevitably do double takes/draw comparisons with the film franchise, which the devs have been at pains to point out is completely unconnected to their story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    Use their faces and you've to pay them.

Which is fine and understandable, but the fact they persisted with almost identical versions of the uniforms, helicarrier, even the Avengers logo itself, makes the differences to the MCU stand out all the more.

There were fewer ducks to get in a row, but the Spider-Man game gave Parker his own definitive, unique costume to separate him from the movie iterations; hewing so closely to the MCU simply invites comparison.

TBH, the character models are kinda ugly anyway, likenesses aside. Rubbery and dead-looking, they kinda look like those Netherrealms designs from MK/Injustice games a few versions back. Everyone staring out with rictus expressions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Which is fine and understandable, but the fact they persisted with almost identical versions of the uniforms, helicarrier, even the Avengers logo itself, makes the differences to the MCU stand out all the more.

There were fewer ducks to get in a row, but the Spider-Man game gave Parker his own definitive, unique costume to separate him from the movie iterations; hewing so closely to the MCU simply invites comparison.

TBH, the character models are kinda ugly anyway, likenesses aside. Rubbery and dead-looking, they kinda look like those Netherrealms designs from MK/Injustice games a few versions back. Everyone staring out with rictus expressions...

I agree, the character models are ugly af, Spider-Man nailed it with its own world and feel. I was sceptical but their Peter Parker is miles ahead of the MCU for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Did they not also release the MCU Spiderman suits in the PS4 game? Can't recall really.

I reckon Crystal Dynamics were pushed to release something for E3, and I've great trust in CD to pull this off (their reboot of the TR franchise was brilliantly done, imo, and I've loved a lot of their releases over the years. I'll hold out hope, and giving that the feedback seems to be in relation to the character models, they have nearly a year to fix it. I'll wait for further updates as to the look of it.

Leaked phone footage from the SDCC gameplay demo. The footage is to be officially released next week apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks much better than what they showed at E3, still skeptical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Looks like it plays exactly like Spiderman, which was good fun IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, now I'm gonna get excited. That looks really good!

Man, I can see why in the movies Thor only ever beats up aliens & monsters, 'cos watching him smash a bunch of humans with Mjolnir looks nasty. Actually feel sorry for the bad guys getting destroyed :D:(

The art-style still not working for me; still just looks like the MCU stunt doubles via Netherealm art department...

• Advertisement

The official footage that was leaked previously. Not feeling it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Looks terrific, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Whoever is controlling Black Widow there is fairly crap at it. Wonder if it's the same person who couldn't get by the Cuphead tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Is there allot of micro transactions planned for it ? Seem to remember seeing something about it, hopefully not as it looks good.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is there allot of micro transactions planned for it ? Seem to remember seeing something about it, hopefully not as it looks good.

I think there is a lot planned, but it will all be free apparently.

Calhoun wrote: »

There will be a shh load, all the MCU milky skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    There will be a shh load, all the MCU milky skins.

Exactly. Look at all the skins Spiderman had in the PS4 game. 20 base (?) with another handful added after release (all free as far as I know, in fairness). Now think of all the Captain America, Iron-Man, Thor, Black Widow etc skins with added common, rare, epic, legendary nonsense on top of that. They will make a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

danham wrote: »

J. Marston wrote: »
    Exactly. Look at all the skins Spiderman had in the PS4 game. 20 base (?) with another handful added after release (all free as far as I know, in fairness). Now think of all the Captain America, Iron-Man, Thor, Black Widow etc skins with added common, rare, epic, legendary nonsense on top of that. They will make a mint.

You only got around 2 or 3 for free, the rest were all season pass skins. Also different studios, this is Square who ruined Tomb Raider and other games with nonsense loot boxes and xp grinds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Looks very "generic 3rd person action game" tbh, not a whole lot there beyond the official license.

Advertisement