Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC one of the previous videos or previews jumped between characters that the player controlled, though the "main" plot character was Kamela Khan. So you will control each avenger in separate chapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Don't click the below link if you don't want to know who the game's main villain is.

Some sites (e.g. WCCFTech) are claiming the achievements list for this has been leaked online. They're mostly the usual "Complete X" or "Achieve Y" quests, but it also reveals some of how the early story will play out, as well as supposedly giving away the main villain. An interesting choice, in truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Posted this on the division thread for some bizarre reason.

I'm still confused on what this game is. Sounds like a superhero version of division from those achievements. Sounds like it would be better if you could create your own hero like dc universe.

Wow, these are awful skins as a bonus. Go from an all colorful crew to an all grey crew.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1229127322500042760?s=19

Even includes hair dye for BW...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,111 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Press Release
    MARVEL’S AVENGERS CONFIRMED FOR PLAYSTATION 5 AND XBOX SERIES X
    Buy the Game and Receive a Free Upgrade from PS4 to PS5 or Xbox One to Xbox Series X
    Los Angeles, CA (June 22, 2020) – SQUARE ENIX® announced today that Marvel’s Avengers will be available on PlayStation®5 computer entertainment system and Xbox Series X when the consoles launch in Holiday 2020. Players who own the current-gen version of the game will be able to upgrade to the next-gen version at no additional cost, regardless if players are moving from PlayStation®4 to PlayStation®5 or Xbox One to Xbox Series X. Those moving their saves to next-gen will transfer their player profiles and progression so they can pick up right where they left off. In addition, cross-gen play will be supported so PS5™ players will be able to play with their friends on PS4™ and Xbox Series X players will be connected with their friends on Xbox One.

Featuring extremely fast load times, boosted resolution and fidelity, improved texturing and armor destruction, ray tracing, and more – Marvel’s Avengers will look and play great on next-gen systems. The PlayStation®5 experience will be seamless and dynamic, fully utilizing the ultra-high speed SSD, the PS5 DualSense advanced haptics, and immersive spatial audio. To fully customize their visual experience, PS5 will also provide players with their choice of Enhanced Graphics Mode or High Framerate mode.

https://press.na.square-enix.com/MARVELS-AVENGERS-CONFIRMED-FOR-PLAYSTATION-5-AND-XBOX-SERIES-X

That was more impressive than I thought it would be. It looks fairly deep in terms of unlockable skills, new characters etc as well. It's definitely gone up a bit in my estimation. We shall see what future "war tables" bring.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    That was more impressive than I thought it would be. It looks fairly deep in terms of unlockable skills, new characters etc as well. It's definitely gone up a bit in my estimation. We shall see what future "war tables" bring.

Yeah felt the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Gameplay looks woeful I think

Gameplay looks woeful I think

It's definitely nothing groundbreaking, but I still hope it might be fun with friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The gear and customisation stuff looks very much in the mobile grindathon ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

J. Marston wrote: »
    The gear and customisation stuff looks very much in the mobile grindathon ball park.

Easily solved with a €5 Avengers Battle Pack or for a limited time a bundle pack of 3 for €12.

It just looks very generic. Might work better like DC Universe if you could create your own character as I don't buy the "your Thor will play different to my Thor". I will probably end up picking it up anyway but not much hype from me at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The combat looks fairly bland alright, but I'd still be interested. Don't imagine it'll break any new ground, but could be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seems like they're trying to include too much and as a result everything will be meh. I've no excitement for this at all, and I agree with Zero that it would have been better to have your character as a newbie developing powers. I also worry that it will be too MP focused and the SP side will take a hit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Looks the same as destiny to me.

Looks like a generic load of ****e with the Marvel tag attached to it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The character models look a little better than that very first video. A bit more distinct from the MCU, even if hewing towards realism rather than something more artistic only invites comparison with the films.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Looks like a generic load of ****e with the Marvel tag attached to it

But it comes with a new hat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,297 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Looks the same as destiny to me.

nah, the core gameplay in Destiny looks (and is) fun. The gameplay in this looks boring AF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wonder if they should have tried to make a real good Ironman or Captain America game first. Everything about the premise of this game seems too broad in scope so when it looks somewhat basic it kinda makes sense. You are starting from nothing to make game where you have several superheroes with their own powers, weapons some have the ability to fly and the majority of them have never had a good game(I think some PS2 era Hulk games are liked, other than that its grim).
    Even the story is assuming we know this version of the universe even though its the first game set in it. I'm guessing most people might not even know who MODOK is, which won't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

This game actually looks worse than the spate of Marvel games around 2006-2009, Wolverine especially, while mediocre, was at least kind of fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Sieghardt wrote: »
    This game actually looks worse than the spate of Marvel games around 2006-2009, Wolverine especially, while mediocre, was at least kind of fun

Horrible memories of playing the demo

Open beta, lovely job.

Still not sure about this, but I do have to commend them on the amount of content seemingly on offer. Fans will be playing this for a while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Still not sure about this, but I do have to commend them on the amount of content seemingly on offer. Fans will be playing this for a while.

The fact that they’re willing to keep adding content for no extra charge is almost enough to sway me to buy it.

I feel like rewarding developers like this before EA come in and micro charge everything and push out an annual release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

Anyone have experience with amazon uk and beta codes? If I pre order this on amazon uk to get a beta code do they send the beta code straight away and can I cancel the order for the game then?

Philippe Therien, War Zones Director, and Lauryn Ash, Game Designer, did an AMA on reddit. If you just want the bullet points, DSOG has exactly that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watched the video they posted about what's in the beta and I was even more shocked by the banality and lack or originality on show. I just can't see this game working at all.

And they pull me back in.

I hate this platform exclusive bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In early 2021, there will be an in-game event to announce Spiderman joining the cast, but exclusive to PlayStation.

Edit: So those posts above me weren't there when I went to post... damn boards. I'd imagine Xbox will get their own exclusive character. Master Chief probably.

I hate this platform exclusive bullshit.

It doesn't make any sense in a game they really need the widest audience possible. If Spidey was xbox only, I'd probably say **** this game.

In early 2021, there will be an in-game event to announce Spiderman joining the cast, but exclusive to PlayStation.

Edit: So those posts above me weren't there when I went to post... damn boards. I'd imagine Xbox will get their own exclusive character. Master Chief probably.

They'd never add someone like Master Chief in. I'd say Marvel would want to keep it to their own stable of heroes. At best if Xbox were getting their own exclusive character, it'd be someone like Wolverine (X-Men.... Xbox Series X... his reveal teaser is him cutting an X in the screen with his claws.... this sh*t writes itself).

I don't particularly see the issue in Spider-Man being exclusive to PS versions. Being upset that Insomniac's Spider-Man games are PS exclusive, I can sympathise with that, that's a biggie. Spider-Man in the Avengers game though, he's an additional character where there's already 6+ characters (with probably more further down the line) and being exclusive means he has no impact on the plot/story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The argument essentially boils down to whether Square-Enix should agree to featuring the character at all if he's going to be Playstation exclusive due to Sony having the rights to him. How strong one feels one way or the other will probably vary based on whether it's free or paid DLC.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft were willing to shell out for their own fully exclusive character to be honest, I guess it'll depend on what the backlash from this move is.

I don't know if Sony have any kind of full exclusive rights to Spider-Man given that he can appear in multiplatform games like Ultimate Alliance 3 and Marvel V Capcom. I imagine it's just for solo games.

But given Sony own the movie rights to him and have that existing exclusivity deal for his solo games, I think organising deals like this one is extremely easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Penn wrote: »
    I don't know if Sony have any kind of full exclusive rights to Spider-Man given that he can appear in multiplatform games like Ultimate Alliance 3 and Marvel V Capcom. I imagine it's just for solo games.

But given Sony own the movie rights to him and have that existing exclusivity deal for his solo games, I think organising deals like this one is extremely easy.
    Once there are lawyers are involved, I don't think any of this is going to be easy which is probably why the video game rights issue is also so murky. While Activision did have the exclusive rights to make games based on the character previously, that deal is obviously over as is evident by them going so far as to pull all of their previous games from digital storefronts a few years back.

My understanding comes from the comment below made by the head of Marvel Games after the initial Spider-Man PS4 announcement.
    “We’ve had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them. But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We’re delighted about this partnership, and that’s something that’s going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There’s many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man.”

But I guess partnership can mean ****ing anything these days? Maybe you could just replace it with "big bag of money"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »

Ultimate Alliance 3 was July 2019, and Marvel V capcom's latest was 2017, and then the PS4 Spiderman game was 2018.

Would have agreed and said there was a chance of solo Spiderman games remaining PS exclusive with insomniac and him featuring in other games on multiplat, but the big Disney Sony deal was September 2019 and everything from games to toys was probably worked out there.

Sony announces "Even more PlayStation Advantages" for Marvel's Avengers
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290694406635499520?s=19
    Even More PlayStation Advantages:

We previously stated that we’re huge Marvel fans, but we’re also PlayStation fans. We are honored to be working with them to provide additional advantages to PlayStation players. PlayStation players will have exclusive access to certain Community Challenges, where the PlayStation Nation will work together to accomplish a goal in order to gain rewards specific to them.

When it comes to cosmetics, PlayStation players will have 30-day exclusive access to a Legendary Outfit, Legendary Emote, Epic Takedown, and nameplate for each Super Hero as they are released – this is also for the six launch heroes. In addition, we also have rewards for those with a PlayStation Plus subscription. For each Super Hero added to the game post-launch, Hawkeye included, all PS Plus members will receive a free bundle that contains a Rare Outfit, nameplate, and 100 Credits to celebrate the addition of another Avenger to the roster. At launch, we’ll have a free bundle for Ms. Marvel available for PS Plus members to embiggen our love for Kamala!

PlayStation 4 players will be the first to play the Beta! The Beta for those who pre-ordered on PS4 will take place from August 7-9 with pre-loading available on August 6. Following that, the Open Beta for all PlayStation players will be available from August 14-16 and August 21-23. You also do not need PlayStation Plus to participate in the Beta, so all your friends are free to join! For more information on the contents of the Beta, please see our previous PS Blog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,853 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/marvels-avengers-beta-impressions

Hands on by Mike Williams.

Also despite the disgusting marketing language used it's very obvious the spiderman thing is due to the deal Sony have for the insomniac games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Is the main character in this Ms Marvel or do you get to use who you like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Sony announces "Even more PlayStation Advantages" for Marvel's Avengers
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290694406635499520?s=19
    It's all just cosmetic ****e really ain't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is the main character in this Ms Marvel or do you get to use who you like ?

From what I can tell, the game is kinda mission based where you pick whomever you want. There are probably story missions, where you will have to select from a limited roster. Also heard talk of "character missions" which are probably unique missions for a particular character, maybe with specific unlocks for them behind them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I do like the Marvel films so was hoping the game might be half decent. This video doesn't paint a pretty picture though, the gameplay looks boring and that motion blur is awful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement