Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

What would George RR Martin actually add to a Souls game, which are more about the atmosphere and the nuggets of lore than intricate world-building and character development? I’d be more excited to see him work with someone like Naughty Dog.

Probably start out like GTA 5 and end up like Space Invaders..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What would George RR Martin actually add to a Souls game, which are more about the atmosphere and the nuggets of lore than intricate world-building and character development? I’d be more excited to see him work with someone like Naughty Dog.

At this point he is looking for absolutely anything and everything to distract himself from actually finishing the books.

But I won't say no to creating my own head-canon ending via a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's even true it might not even be Souls inspired. From do a lot of different types of games from Mech simulation, stealth games to turn based RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Before GRRM confirmed anything, the rumour was about From's next project; "an open-world title on which George R.R. Martin is one of the lead writers, with various kingdoms to visit and abilities to obtain from killing the leaders of those kingdoms." A lot of people, myself included, assumed/hoped it was GoT-related.

Gematsu report the project is codenamed GR, has been in development for three years, and has horse riding in its open world. It will be officially announced at Microsoft’s E3 2019 press conference, at least according to their source.

Another rumour I read, but whose source I can't find now, is that it isn't anything to do with Westeros - it will in fact be based on Scandinavian legend, with GR standing for Great Rune.

Edit: Great Rune source (WCCFTech). All speculation at this stage, but not long until a supposed reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

FromSoft + Norse mythology + G.R.R. Martin = sign me up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Horse riding......Assume that means white horses!!!!

Uhhh poor black female donkeys being left out again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd rather they didn't do GoT and explore something else cause it'll never be able to get out from under the shadow of the TV series - hell, the books will be hard pressed to get away from it at this stage which is maybe why he's taken so long to get the next in the series finished.

If we're going to get a GoT game, then give me Total War Westeros, then have Total War Essos as a sequel and have a mega-map campaign ala Warhammer and for the third part, do a Northern Invasion of the Night King and all will be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shiminay wrote: »
    ...it'll never be able to get out from under the shadow of the TV series - hell, the books will be hard pressed to get away from it at this stage...

I'm pretty sure this season made sure the books will be better...

I'm optimistic, because its From I'm of the opinion it'll be hard and not enjoyable for me. But, considering who's involved, I'd imagine they'll put in a mode for people who just want to enjoy the story. Early days to make any judgements yet though.

Didn't realise they were behind Armored Core on the PS, I actually really enjoyed those games even with the turn based combat.

Rumour:
    the game may not be fully open world due to technical limitations of the engine used by From Software, so it’s likely that we should expect something akin to the Dark Souls games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If he is involved it make longer than Star Citizen for development

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Personally, I hope it's Dragon's Dogma 2.

The original was already "the best GoT game", and it has important dragons!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Personally, I hope it's Dragon's Dogma 2.

The original was already "the best GoT game", and it has important dragons!

FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre called and said GTFO of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

*Imagines naked Crow Women, and coitus...!*

c415dfc7d94c38f3195681c632cb216a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Theory video I came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's called Elden Ring

ELDEN RING, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki – creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series; and George R.R. Martin – author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date. Hidetaka Miyazaki, President and Game Director of FromSoftware Inc. known for directing critically-acclaimed games in beloved franchises including Armored Core, Dark Souls, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. George R.R. Martin is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of many novels, including the acclaimed series A Song of Ice and Fire - A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast For Crows, and A Dance with Dragons. As a writer-producer, he has worked on The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast, and various feature films and pilots that were never made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

OMG ELDEN RING ITS GOING TO BE THE BEST GAME EVER.

Shame it's gonna take like 10 years to make since GRR Martin is so slow to do everything.

Also can we get a thread name change to the games title? When a game name is unknown a thread is created and used, then the game releases and the same thread is used but it's not simply the game name but some other explanatory title triggers me for some reason

Miyazaki and Martin is a strange team up to be honest. Miyazaki is all about ambiguity, then Martin would want to really hard tell a story with alot of dialogue. Maybe Miyazaki will take a back seat in the storyline and world building of this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Wonder if we'll see a March/April 2020 release for this. Think Demons was 2009,DS1 2011,DS2 2012 then 2015 for Bloodborne and 2016 for DS3. Could have dates wrong. 2020 is possible given that it was reported that they were working on two other games alongside Sekiro.

This news pleases me greatly. After finishing Sekiro NG+ and trying to play other games I got bored and ended up going back to DSR and now playing DS2:SOTFS and plan on playing the other three straight after. Since discovering this series in 2017 I've more or less played them constantly. I played other games alright but always get an urge to try a new build (though usually end up just sword and boarding my way through again). Looking forward to the trailer tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Apparently this has been in development for 3 years so we could get a possible 2020 release date

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Elden Ring it is...

A "dark fantasy action RPG".

Lots more info in this interview with Miyazaki...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/

• Advertisement

^Good read, thanks. My main takeaways;
    • Dark fantasy action RPG
    • Greater focus on RPG elements, but still has From-flavoured combat
    • Wide variety of weapons/magic etc - can approach enemies with different strategies to suit your play style
    • Miyazaki says he's not sure if "open world" is the correct phrase to use, but he goes with it - "the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically. It is without a doubt our biggest title yet in terms of sheer volume."
    • Big boss battles, of course
    • They approached GRRM, he liked their ideas and developed the over arching mythos for the game world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Pity there was no indication of a release window. Not even a "coming 2020/2021" tagged on at the end of the trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

This looks like it's just the next Dark Souls which I'm fine with because Sekiro wasn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pity there was no indication of a release window. Not even a "coming 2020/2021" tagged on at the end of the trailer.

Probably same date as Winds of Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

titan18 wrote:
    Probably same date as Winds of Winter

Genuinely feel he wanted to wait until the TV series ended but the Game of Thrones last season has left everyone with such a bad taste in their mouth that imo the "A Song of Ice and Fire" brand has never meant less in the last decade than it feels like it does right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wish we'd seen some gameplay at least :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

lawlolawl wrote: »
    because Sekiro wasn't very good.

WHOA WHOA WHOA THERE COWBOY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Elden ring??? ELDEN RING?????? Get off your own f*cking ring and finish Thrones you procrastinating b*stard :)

I hope it's not gonna be episodic. You'll have a better chance of seeing Half Lift Episode 3 if it is.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

daheadonu wrote: »
    Apparently this has been in development for 3 years so we could get a possible 2020 release date

Oh you innocent Summer Child......

• Advertisement

It's rumoured that this will be shown to journos at Gamescom, later this month.

Advertisement