Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Bankers looking for Bonuses back and 500k limit lifted

Options

Comments

Why shouldn’t they be entitled to bonuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

If you do not like the job leave and search your fortune somewhere else... simples.

Same in RTE etc.etc....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

For state-controlled banks, sure, have a limit and disallow bonuses.

But the State shouldn't prohibit people working in private industry from receiving bonuses. If they're so inherently bad, then they should be banned/taxed at 90% in all jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

More power to them.

If I was to be blamed for everything from house prices to a protected snail in Australia getting squashed, I’d want a big bonus as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In the jobs market you have to pay for talent, having a cap limits Ireland in that regard. Also, it was largely a populist measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    In the jobs market you have to pay for talent, having a cap limits Ireland in that regard. Also, it was largely a populist measure.

How hard is it to run a bank? I mean it's not new technology,it's been done now for hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sure. How did that work out before when they weren't capped?

There is a lack of balance with large institutional share holders not really giving a monkeys providing the dividends keep rolling in, and rank and file being shown the door because of the branch rationalisation program.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Why shouldn’t they be entitled to bonuses?

Maybe because their complete mismanagement of financial risk bankrupted the country? What have they done since? Apart from all decide to introduce and increase transaction fees, reduce deposit rates and sell underperforming loans.

Maybe because their complete mismanagement of financial risk bankrupted the country? What have they done since? Apart from all decide to introduce and increase transaction fees, reduce deposit rates and sell underperforming loans.

So why should someone working there now not be entitled to a bonus because someone else messed up 15 years ago? Total nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

True but we know it doesn't guarantee quality either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Yep, but in reality that doesn't work.

We wouldn't get the best bankers in the world if we offered massive salaries.
    We wouldn't get the worst if we offered low salaries.

There's hardly any correlation between pay and performance at that level of expertise.

So why should someone working there now not be entitled to a bonus because someone else messed up 15 years ago? Total nonsense.

Why should a state owned bank pay ridiculous wages and "bonuses" ?
    For example the state owns 71% of AIB

https://aib.ie/investorrelations/shareholder-information/other-shareholder-information

Do you think the public want to reward employees ?
    The high ranking employees there are either
    a) the same muppets who destroyed the bank or
    b) new muppets who joined knowing the full history of the bank and the limitations imposed on it.

If they're not happy, let them move.
    I don't see why they should be paid more than the US President. (leaving the politics of who is president now aside)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

kneemos wrote: »

How hard is it to run a bank? I mean it's not new technology,it's been done now for hundreds of years.

Hmmmm, Its a lot harder than you think. Banks are very complex organisations.

Yep, but in reality that doesn't work.

We wouldn't get the best bankers in the world if we offered massive salaries.
    We wouldn't get the worst if we offered low salaries.

There's hardly any correlation between pay and performance at that level of expertise.

Quality and talent costs money

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I've seen no evidence of quality or talent.

kneemos wrote: »

It ranges from complex to highly complex depending on what type of financial institution/bank (commercial, investment, clearing, and so on)

The technology, products, services, demands, regulations are constantly changing and fluid

How would you?

People "see" talent on a football pitch because they watch football. It's unlikely they read bank appraisals and reports and follow the performance of individuals working in the banking sector

The latter is only really visible to people quantifying them in the sector

I have.

Both our main banks have been transformed from bankrupt basket cases to profit making entities, making decent returns for their shareholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

STB. wrote: »

Given that the banks (i.e. the taxpayer) look set to pay €350 million in fines for screwing people on trackers, these mother****ers should not be getting an extra dime on top of their salaries.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/banks-tracker-mortgage-fines-may-reach-350m-1.3910130

Given that the banks (i.e. the taxpayer) look set to pay €350 million in fines for screwing people on trackers, these mother****ers should not be getting an extra dime on top of their salaries.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/banks-tracker-mortgage-fines-may-reach-350m-1.3910130

People who got screwed on trackers were idiots.

Entering complex financial deals without knowing what they were doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why should a state owned bank pay ridiculous wages and "bonuses" ?
    For example the state owns 71% of AIB

https://aib.ie/investorrelations/shareholder-information/other-shareholder-information

Do you think the public want to reward employees ?
    The high ranking employees there are either
    a) the same muppets who destroyed the bank or
    b) new muppets who joined knowing the full history of the bank and the limitations imposed on it.

If they're not happy, let them move.
    I don't see why they should be paid more than the US President. (leaving the politics of who is president now aside)
    The State will divest itself of that 71%. Both AIB and the State want that to happen. I see you've covered your bases on "muppets" although the first bunch have gone. We also get dividends from AIB, about €330m to the taxpayer this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

The company wouldnt exist and be wound up only for state bailout

Whenever the banks pay back 100% on the money put in...then maybe think about more bonuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Allinall wrote: »
    I have.

Both our main banks have been transformed from bankrupt basket cases to profit making entities, making decent returns for their shareholders.

That was achieved by a capital injection of somebody else's money that didn't belong to them.

Any business will thrive if handed truck loads of money that doesn't belong to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

People who got screwed on trackers were idiots.

Entering complex financial deals without knowing what they were doing.

That does not change the fact that the banks are culpable and that we will pay twice. Once for the fines and again when they pass on the fines as increased charges to us.

Like I said - they should not get an extra dime on top of their salaries.

That was achieved by a capital injection of somebody else's money that didn't belong to them.

Any business will thrive if handed truck loads of money that doesn't belong to them.

Capital doesn’t mean profit.

That does not change the fact that the banks are culpable and that we will pay twice. Once for the fines and again when they pass on the fines as increased charges to us.

Like I said - they should not get an extra dime on top of their salaries.
    We get dividends on their profits!

is_that_so wrote: »
    We also get dividends from AIB, about €330m to the taxpayer this year.

We pay €14 million a DAY in national debt interest, never mind paying off the principal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-still-paying-14m-a-day-in-interest-on-national-debt-1.3860907

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

That sounds a lot like what bankers were saying before 2008. If I remember correctly it went along the lines of "If you pay peanuts you get monkeys". The reality at that time was that bankers took risks to earn big bonuses. The reality now is that the financial institutions pushing to pay the biggest bonuses today will be the first to go under when the next bust arrives. History continually repeats itself and we never learn.:rolleyes:

_blaaz wrote: »
    The company wouldnt exist and be wound up only for state bailout

Whenever the banks pay back 100% on the money put in...then maybe think about more bonuses
    It was preferable to a banking system collapse. AIB will pay back all of its money as will BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Capital doesn’t mean profit.

Capital for the transformation from bankruptcy which you were applauding them for.
    Which profit figures do you think are exceptional and on what management decisions or policies gave rise to those profits?

Advertisement