Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

Will probably need a nap later though

CONFIRMED.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Glad to get another week of training in this week and sticking to the planned mileage. Weekend away last week everything was sandwiched at the start of last week and the end of this week but got it done.

Had an interesting feeling this morning on LSR. Felt very sluggish coming up to halfway and a little past halfway I got a great surge of energy and ended up feeling great through for the whole second half . Never had that feeling before, ever. I always started feeling great and slowly declined the further I ran. What was it?!

Either way another solid week of base building and committing to the planned days. Rearing to go for the start of the plan

Will probably need a nap later though

The better feeling in the second half of the run could be a sign that your aerobic capacity is improving and you are seeing the benefits of slowing it down and running more regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Reached the end of my first training plan with the Cork half as my target race. Preparations had gone well for this race apart from a boozy trip to London the weekend before. I felt I was in good shape and was confident of getting under 1.40, possibly too confident.

Cork Half Marathon report

Parked up in work right next to city hall, drop my bag in and headed to the start line. Randomly met my brother-in-law and did a warmup mile with him. Conditions were as expected, although warmer than what was forecasted.

Mile 1 to 4
    Lined up next to the 1.40 pacers, who I planned to stick with like glue. Start was fast and had a few barriers in the middle of the road to avoid straight away. Small change to the route this year going around Pairc Ui Chaoimh instead of the narrow path around Atlantic pond, which was good. Headed back towards the city centre again and could feel the wind for the first time. Tried to shelter as much as I could. Good crowds heading out the south link. Took 1st gel at mile 4

Mile 5 to 9
    Was starting to feel the pace here with the all the small hills, twists and turns of Ballyphehane - couldn't find a good rhythm. Was quite worried that I was feeling this way so early in the race, similar to the way Mallow 10 went. Pacers were now ahead of me but within sight and I tried to cling onto the back of them. Farranlea road was a tough uphill part but was shorter than I envisaged. Took 2nd gel a bit early at mile 8. Kept telling myself to get to the turn at the straight road and the hard part would be over. The 2nd pacer had dropped back by the end of model farm road so was able to go past him

Mile 10 to the finish
    Got to the turn and was expecting the wind to carry me home, mentally I thought the race finished there. It's only then did I realised I had 3 more miles to run! My legs had gone by then, any hope of me pushing on were over so I just tried to keep the pace constant, while hurting constantly. Many a thought of why did I take up running went through my head, that I would never do a half marathon again etc. but kept putting one foot in front of another. Last mile and I had nothing, sheltered behind some runners to get me home but they went even slower! Went past them onto the Grand parade, turned the corner at pace expecting the finishing line to be right there. But it turned out it was halfway down the street. I couldn't slow down in front of the crowds so kept going as fast as I could across the line.

Chip time 1.39.27, 7.29avg

Was delighted with achieving my target time but I didn't imagine me suffering as much as I did. Has me questioning if I'm setting myself too fast a target or if it was a perfectly planned race if I managed to get that time! My mile spilts were all very constant throughout. Maybe the conditions & course played a part.

Anyway, with a week of recovery to come I'll be starting my 18 week DCM plan next week - which I can't wait to start. Looks like a very challenging but interesting plan. It will do a lot of training on longer endurance runs and plenty of miles - which I definitely need. I have built two extra weeks into the plan to account for going on holidays start of July & also doing the Charleville Half in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

What plan are you following?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Treviso, well done on achieving your target for the Cork half!

What plan are you following? I'm on the boards beginner 16 week plan but I'll miss a week due to holidays so I'd like to do a 17 or 18 week plan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

It's a P&D plan that my wife has done for numerous DCMs in the past. It's similar to the half marathon plan I followed but with a lot more miles. I like the progression long runs at the weekend. 5 days a week running as well.

rizzee wrote: »
    Treviso, well done on achieving your target for the Cork half!

What plan are you following? I'm on the boards beginner 16 week plan but I'll miss a week due to holidays so I'd like to do a 17 or 18 week plan too.

The boards plan in the OP is 18 weeks, is that the one you will be following?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The boards plan in the OP is 18 weeks, is that the one you will be following?

Yes sorry, my mistake. I mean I'd like to add a week or two extra in so a 19/20 week plan then. Maybe with the extra 2 weeks in I can do them the same as week #1 in the plan? (starting 24th June)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just thought I'd post a bit of a report on my 16th (I think) Women's Mini Marathon yesterday! As I've been sticking to training slowly by heart rate since February, this is the first time I had decided to throw caution to the wind a little bit, just to see what I could do if I pushed it and ran by feel rather then HR... I thought it might be useful for the experts here to analyse it all for me too!
    Bear in mind I don't do races these days, nor parkrun.
    My times are dropping week by week, it was taking me 13+ mins per mile on average for the first month, but that has dropped to around 11:45 per mile in the 3+ months since I started running by HR. I'm finding the progression to faster miles is quicker now that I'm getting a bit of fitness about me.

So, to give a bit of background, my fastest mini marathon was probably 10 years ago, which I did in just under 54 mins. In recent years, I have always finished in anywhere between 60 and 70 mins. See? I told you I'm not a fast runner!

On my way to the start area yesterday, I had a little disaster, which must surely have played its part... I bloody twisted by ankle when my foot went into a dip in the footpath :( I went down in a heap, scraping my left knee and hurting my right ankle... this is something that happens to me fairly regularly, I think because I have flat feet since birth, and my physio tells me the ligaments down in the foot department are "floppy" :o (I wear custom-made orthotics and stability runners).

But, I'm a stubborn fecker, and I had traveled all the way to Dublin, and I hadn't missed one in 16 years, and as I walked it freed up a bit... so my stubborn self ran the distance like a big bloody eejit. Actually, it didn't feel that bad once I got going!

Here goes:
    Mile 1: 10:11
    Mile 2: 9:53
    Mile 3: 10:08
    Mile 4: 9:52
    Mile 5: 10:05
    Mile 6: 10:24 (getting tired, plus quite a punishing uphill 1km finish:o)
    Average mins/mile: 10:05

Each time my watch buzzed at the end of each mile, I looked at it in surprise, because weirdly, I didn't feel I was going *that* much faster than I do on my easy training runs. Felt pretty comfortable most of the way, though the heat was an unexpected drag if the forecast was anything to go by.
    For the record, my average HR was 172, my normal average is in the high 130s.

Has anyone any thoughts or observations on it all?
    I'm in for the Clontarf HM on July 6th too, that'll be the longest I'll ever have run up to that point. My longest LSR to date is 16.5km, twice, on the 2 Saturdays prior to this weekend.

Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Treviso wrote: »
    Reached the end of my first training plan with the Cork half as my target race. Preparations had gone well for this race apart from a boozy trip to London the weekend before. I felt I was in good shape and was confident of getting under 1.40, possibly too confident.

Cork Half Marathon report

Parked up in work right next to city hall, drop my bag in and headed to the start line. Randomly met my brother-in-law and did a warmup mile with him. Conditions were as expected, although warmer than what was forecasted.

Mile 1 to 4
    Lined up next to the 1.40 pacers, who I planned to stick with like glue. Start was fast and had a few barriers in the middle of the road to avoid straight away. Small change to the route this year going around Pairc Ui Chaoimh instead of the narrow path around Atlantic pond, which was good. Headed back towards the city centre again and could feel the wind for the first time. Tried to shelter as much as I could. Good crowds heading out the south link. Took 1st gel at mile 4

Mile 5 to 9
    Was starting to feel the pace here with the all the small hills, twists and turns of Ballyphehane - couldn't find a good rhythm. Was quite worried that I was feeling this way so early in the race, similar to the way Mallow 10 went. Pacers were now ahead of me but within sight and I tried to cling onto the back of them. Farranlea road was a tough uphill part but was shorter than I envisaged. Took 2nd gel a bit early at mile 8. Kept telling myself to get to the turn at the straight road and the hard part would be over. The 2nd pacer had dropped back by the end of model farm road so was able to go past him

Mile 10 to the finish
    Got to the turn and was expecting the wind to carry me home, mentally I thought the race finished there. It's only then did I realised I had 3 more miles to run! My legs had gone by then, any hope of me pushing on were over so I just tried to keep the pace constant, while hurting constantly. Many a thought of why did I take up running went through my head, that I would never do a half marathon again etc. but kept putting one foot in front of another. Last mile and I had nothing, sheltered behind some runners to get me home but they went even slower! Went past them onto the Grand parade, turned the corner at pace expecting the finishing line to be right there. But it turned out it was halfway down the street. I couldn't slow down in front of the crowds so kept going as fast as I could across the line.

Chip time 1.39.27, 7.29avg

Was delighted with achieving my target time but I didn't imagine me suffering as much as I did. Has me questioning if I'm setting myself too fast a target or if it was a perfectly planned race if I managed to get that time! My mile spilts were all very constant throughout. Maybe the conditions & course played a part.

Anyway, with a week of recovery to come I'll be starting my 18 week DCM plan next week - which I can't wait to start. Looks like a very challenging but interesting plan. It will do a lot of training on longer endurance runs and plenty of miles - which I definitely need. I have built two extra weeks into the plan to account for going on holidays start of July & also doing the Charleville Half in September.

Congratulations again. Your splits paint a very different picture. They were fairly even throughout and there was no drop off in pace. That's great determination - well done!

Try not to get too caught up in a time for DCM yet. You've plenty of miles to run and Charleville and any tune ups you do will help decide a target.

DBB wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post a bit of a report on my 16th (I think) Women's Mini Marathon yesterday! As I've been sticking to training slowly by heart rate since February, this is the first time I had decided to throw caution to the wind a little bit, just to see what I could do if I pushed it and ran by feel rather then HR... I thought it might be useful for the experts here to analyse it all for me too!
    Bear in mind I don't do races these days, nor parkrun.
    My times are dropping week by week, it was taking me 13+ mins per mile on average for the first month, but that has dropped to around 11:45 per mile in the 3+ months since I started running by HR. I'm finding the progression to faster miles is quicker now that I'm getting a bit of fitness about me.

So, to give a bit of background, my fastest mini marathon was probably 10 years ago, which I did in just under 54 mins. In recent years, I have always finished in anywhere between 60 and 70 mins. See? I told you I'm not a fast runner!

On my way to the start area yesterday, I had a little disaster, which must surely have played its part... I bloody twisted by ankle when my foot went into a dip in the footpath :( I went down in a heap, scraping my left knee and hurting my right ankle... this is something that happens to me fairly regularly, I think because I have flat feet since birth, and my physio tells me the ligaments down in the foot department are "floppy" :o (I wear custom-made orthotics and stability runners).

But, I'm a stubborn fecker, and I had traveled all the way to Dublin, and I hadn't missed one in 16 years, and as I walked it freed up a bit... so my stubborn self ran the distance like a big bloody eejit. Actually, it didn't feel that bad once I got going!

Here goes:
    Mile 1: 10:11
    Mile 2: 9:53
    Mile 3: 10:08
    Mile 4: 9:52
    Mile 5: 10:05
    Mile 6: 10:24 (getting tired, plus quite a punishing uphill 1km finish:o)
    Average mins/mile: 10:05

Each time my watch buzzed at the end of each mile, I looked at it in surprise, because weirdly, I didn't feel I was going *that* much faster than I do on my easy training runs. Felt pretty comfortable most of the way, though the heat was an unexpected drag if the forecast was anything to go by.
    For the record, my average HR was 172, my normal average is in the high 130s.

Has anyone any thoughts or observations on it all?
    I'm in for the Clontarf HM on July 6th too, that'll be the longest I'll ever have run up to that point. My longest LSR to date is 16.5km, twice, on the 2 Saturdays prior to this weekend.

Thanks all :)

How's the ankle today?

I'm glad you didn't pay too much attention to the HR monitor for the race - I don't think it's really recommended, particularly for shorter distances. I know myself my HR is always elevated before a race. Sounds like you paced it well - well done!

What's the plan to take you up to Clontarf?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

t
    I bloody twisted by ankle when my foot went into a dip in the footpath :( I went down in a heap, scraping my left knee and hurting my right ankle... this is something that happens to me fairly regularly, I think because I have flat feet since birth, and my physio tells me the ligaments down in the foot department are "floppy" :o (I wear custom-made orthotics and stability runners).

Well done on your 16th mini marathon, that's an amazing 'run streak' in itself.

I used to have that 'floppy ligaments in ankle' problem. It started when I badly twisted my ankle and didn't do anything about it. For over ten years that ankle used to just 'let go' without any warnings when walking on uneven surface, or decent pavement with a slope to that side. Chronic ankle instability is the right term for it, and it's because the tendons that gets stretched when your ankle is going beyond it's safe limit, are already too stretched / loose that they don't provide the vital feedback to the brain to warn as that you are above to roll the ankle. Without feedback or signal, you just go on and twist your ankle, and this repeats over and again. Went on for years.

Funnily enough, running is what fixed it for me. When I started C25k, that ankle would swell after each run for a day or two. Ran thru it, and never had an issue with that ankle since, I have had that 'nearly about to twist' feeling couple of times and were able to save myself from twisting it fully. Feels like it self repaired itself with the help of running.

Sorry this is probably of not much help to you as you are already running. Perhaps cycling might help. :pac:

Hi Huzzah!
    Thanks for that... Ankle isn't too bad, I got out for a nice run last night as it felt OK enough at that stage.
    I'm following the HH Novice 1 Half Marathon plan. Though it's a 12 week plan, I started it a few weeks earlier, so I'm a little ahead on the length of my LSRs... I'm at Week 11 if you go by the runs I have done, but there's just under 5 weeks to go!
    The plan recommends a 10k race 3 weeks out from the HM, the mini marathon landed 5 weeks in advance.
    I wonder, seeing as I'm a little ahead of myself, what should I do? Tread water and keep the LSRs at about the 16k mark? Reduce the LSR a little for a couple of weeks? Or continue to progress by adding to it over the next few weeks?

Jayney positron... Snap! I've been twisting my ankles since I was a kid, which is quite a long time ago now :D
    That's interesting about the stretched ligaments not giving feedback quickly enough, makes perfect sense... I seem to have developed a strategy that when I feel the ankle giving way, I let myself fall so as not to yoink it any further in my attempts to save myself :o
    I wear really good quality hiking boots in my outdoorsy job, which have saved me many, many times... An ankle has buckled but the boots provide the support they need, and no damage done.
    Who knows, maybe running is helping, and Sunday was an unfortunate blip? I'm doing a couple of S&C sessions a week too, and foot-strengthening exercises from the physio, all of which will hopefully help :o

Yes sorry, my mistake. I mean I'd like to add a week or two extra in so a 19/20 week plan then. Maybe with the extra 2 weeks in I can do them the same as week #1 in the plan? (starting 24th June)

When you say "miss a week" do you mean no running for the entire week? That would not be a good idea.

You'll find different opinions on making plans work around holidays. My philosophy to date has been not to alter the plan and just try do as much of it as I can during the week away. Others like to add a week to the plan, but even in that instance they will still be doing a decent amount of running during the week away.

Hi Huzzah!
    Thanks for that... Ankle isn't too bad, I got out for a nice run last night as it felt OK enough at that stage.
    I'm following the HH Novice 1 Half Marathon plan. Though it's a 12 week plan, I started it a few weeks earlier, so I'm a little ahead on the length of my LSRs... I'm at Week 11 if you go by the runs I have done, but there's just under 5 weeks to go!
    The plan recommends a 10k race 3 weeks out from the HM, the mini marathon landed 5 weeks in advance.
    I wonder, seeing as I'm a little ahead of myself, what should I do? Tread water and keep the LSRs at about the 16k mark? Reduce the LSR a little for a couple of weeks? Or continue to progress by adding to it over the next few weeks?

I would keep this week super easy and allow yourself recover from the race and also to allow your ankle some recovery time. I would also keep the week of the half the same as the plan to allow for a taper.

Then, maybe do an 8m, 9m and 10m LSR in the remaining weeks? If you'd like to increase your LSR one of the weeks, we could maybe look at that but I don't think I would do a 10m LSR every weekend.

When you say "miss a week" do you mean no running for the entire week? That would not be a good idea.

You'll find different opinions on making plans work around holidays. My philosophy to date has been not to alter the plan and just try do as much of it as I can during the week away. Others like to add a week to the plan, but even in that instance they will still be doing a decent amount of running during the week away.

Thats a good point. I was just going to keep the step count up on the days away and good bit of swimming.

Thats a good point. I was just going to keep the step count up on the days away and good bit of swimming.

Consistency is key. You're trying to build up the weekly mileage incrementally, by putting a non-running week in the middle of the plan you would set yourself back a bit. At the very least, a few easy miles every second day will keep you ticking over. It's also a great way to get to know your surroundings.

Everyone will have occasions, events, weddings, holidays, etc that will disrupt the training. Try your best to plan around these in advance so that the disruption is minimised.

Just 3 weeks to go now until the plans start. How is everyone getting on with building some consistency into their training?

From looking at some of your activities on Strava, I see that most of you are doing a great job of slowing it down, and steadily building the mileage. Great work. I also noticed that some of you haven't log any runs in a while, or are running very sporadically. Any issues we should be aware of? These next three weeks are crucial to building some consistency by running regularly and gradually adding miles.

The topic of fuelling came up during the week. We touched briefly on Hi-5 gels, which I myself used last year. Other popular products I am aware of are Maurten gels, cliff blocks and tailwind. I have minimal knowledge of those, but I know people who have had good results with each of them. There's no time like the present to start sampling any of the above, and see what agrees with you. If anybody reading can fill us in on a bit more on tailwind, cliff blocks, Maurten gels, or anything else that's out there, it would be much appreciated!

One other quick word for now: One of the best things you can do to aid your training is to get a good night's sleep. Sleep aids recovery and allows you be fresher for the next run. Most of us are guilty of not getting enough sleep, and it's not always easy to get to bed in a timely manner, but any bit of improvement in this department will pay dividends.

• Advertisement

The topic of fuelling came up during the week. We touched briefly on Hi-5 gels, which I myself used last year. Other popular products I am aware of are Maurten gels, cliff blocks and tailwind. I have minimal knowledge of those, but I know people who have had good results with each of them. There's no time like the present to start sampling any of the above, and see what agrees with you. If anybody reading can fill us in on a bit more on tailwind, cliff blocks, Maurten gels, or anything else that's out there, it would be much appreciated!

You read my mind! I've been thinking about fuelling a lot lately, wondering what the options are. I'll be reeeally interested to see what people have to say about the different products.
    One thing I'm wary of is that my tummy needs little excuse to turn turk on me :o, so I'm a bit worried that gels are going to be a challenge. I suppose I'll just have to give them a shot, but if anyone has found one brand to be easier on the tummy, I'd be mad interested to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

DBB wrote:
    You read my mind! I've been thinking about fuelling a lot lately, wondering what the options are. I'll be reeeally interested to see what people have to say about the different products. One thing I'm wary of is that my tummy needs little excuse to turn turk on me , so I'm a bit worried that gels are going to be a challenge. I suppose I'll just have to give them a shot, but if anyone has found one brand to be easier on the tummy, I'd be mad interested to know!

Well when it comes to the Hi5 brand, I know there's the choice of isogels vs energy gels. Isogels are more diluted and you (usually) don't need water at the same time. Energy gels are a denser in texture and would usually need to be washed down with water. I've never had tummy issues with either, but I do think the isogels would be kinder to the tummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck novices this i’m A graduate of the amazing Dubgals year and this thread was invaluable to me. Words of advice slow down those long runs and listen to the experts here they know what they are talking about enjoy the journey there will be tears there will be days you want to give up but there is no feeling like crossing that finish line :) good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You read my mind! I've been thinking about fuelling a lot lately, wondering what the options are. I'll be reeeally interested to see what people have to say about the different products.
    One thing I'm wary of is that my tummy needs little excuse to turn turk on me :o, so I'm a bit worried that gels are going to be a challenge. I suppose I'll just have to give them a shot, but if anyone has found one brand to be easier on the tummy, I'd be mad interested to know!

I agree that the High 5 Isogels - which I think might be called Aquagels now - are great. I had a few issues with others until I tried them. They are almost like a drink in a way and taste like melted Mr Freezes. However, check out the Maurten gels. I used them for DCM last year and in my last two halves. They are very different to other gels (and more expensive). Apparently they are absorbed differently and get to work faster. I’ve had no issues with them. They are a funny jelly like texture, sweet and the best part is they aren’t sticky at all if you spill some on your hands.

Just 3 weeks to go now until the plans start. How is everyone getting on with building some consistency into their training?

From looking at some of your activities on Strava, I see that most of you are doing a great job of slowing it down, and steadily building the mileage. Great work. I also noticed that some of you haven't log any runs in a while, or are running very sporadically. Any issues we should be aware of? These next three weeks are crucial to building some consistency by running regularly and gradually adding miles.

One other quick word for now: One of the best things you can do to aid your training is to get a good night's sleep. Sleep aids recovery and allows you be fresher for the next run. Most of us are guilty of not getting enough sleep, and it's not always easy to get to bed in a timely manner, but any bit of improvement in this department will pay dividends.

On the question of gels, for me Maurten gels are game changers. I won't get into the science behind them but they are the next generation of gels with the added benefit that you don't need water with them.

Hmmm... I like the idea either of gels that don't need water, or a fuel that dissolves in your water that I can sip on as I go along (Tailwind?)
    The reason being that I'd assume (perhaps wrongly) that if you need to wash a gel down with water, you've got to take a fair old glug of water? That's a non-runner for me, guaranteed to give me tummy pains. I have to take regular, tiny sips, and swallow very gently. It has taken a long time for me to finally cop onto this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hmmm... I like the idea either of gels that don't need water, or a fuel that dissolves in your water that I can sip on as I go along (Tailwind?)
    The reason being that I'd assume (perhaps wrongly) that if you need to wash a gel down with water, you've got to take a fair old glug of water? That's a non-runner for me, guaranteed to give me tummy pains. I have to take regular, tiny sips, and swallow very gently. It has taken a long time for me to finally cop onto this :D

You don’t need water with either Isogels or Maurten except maybe to wash the sweet taste away but you don’t need a good glug for that.

Tailwind is supposed to be brilliant but I’ve stayed away from it as the thought of mixing it en route is a pain and I don’t want to run with a back pack. I know others carry it in a small bottle the whole way round the course and it’s really concentrated so they take a good glug at each water station washed down with water - prob not going to work for you that way. It may do if you were to wear a back pack though. I trained with one and found it great so you could get used to it.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    You don’t need water with either Isogels or Maurten except maybe to wash the sweet taste away but you don’t need a good glug for that.

Tailwind is supposed to be brilliant but I’ve stayed away from it as the thought of mixing it en route is a pain and I don’t want to run with a back pack. I know others carry it in a small bottle the whole way round the course and it’s really concentrated so they take a good glug at each water station washed down with water - prob not going to work for you that way. It may do if you were to wear a back pack though. I trained with one and found it great so you could get used to it.

+1 to all of this. Even in the unlikely event that Tailwind offers any benefits over Maurten it seems a logistical mess to actually use it. I remember stories last year of people filling straws with the powder to carry with them. As for backpacks....why would you!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

I had a spare hour and was thinking about this the weekend so I went in to runzone in Rathgar. Wasn't busy so didn't feel too guilty asking the lad a few questions. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Think I have my next pair of runners picked out!

When we were chatting about the gels he directed me to the hi 5 just because thats what DCM will have. I'll have support as a dub at various different points if I needed anything specific but it made sense to look at what will be available.

If anyone is considering hi 5 then the options are that you can have either a syrupy type texture or more aqueous ones.

Then whatever your preference you can pick either caffeinated or decaffeinated depending on what you wanted.

Within each category was 2 flavours.. So plenty of choice.

I picked up the more aqueous one with caffeine as I wouldn't like the thicker ones. Looking forward to giving them a go.

• Advertisement

Skyblue46 and Kellygirl, many thanks. Great feedback there.
    What are opinions on caffeinated vs uncaffeinated?
    Why was I under the impression that backpacks, aren't allowed in the marathon? Did I dream that?! I have one from my mountain biking days, not sure about hoiking it around on LSRs :o

Advertisement