Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

During peak recession the centra beside the Regency hotel had a chicken fillet roll and a can of coke on offer for €2

It moved to €3.50 the year after.

Cant beat quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Insomnia had a coffee and a sandwich for €5 during the recession if I remember correctly. Up to €6.75 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cant beat quality.
    Can't eat quality

More like.

Chicken fillet rolls are rubbish, beige on beige crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Actually just bought a chicken fillet role and bottle of water for 3.30 in a local deli counter last week, no parking outside but thats grand for me.
    Dont know what youre looking for tbh.

A chicken fillet roll from a deli counter with convenient parking, I'd assumed I'd made that fairly clear, and there's hundreds of places around the country that tick all those boxes so happy days. I got a roll and a can in a Spar with a carpark the other day for €4.00, bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

:P
    A chicken fillet roll from a deli counter with convenient parking, I'd assumed I'd made that fairly clear. There's hundreds of places around the country that tick all those boxes so happy days.

Why are you getting so annoyed haha.
    Fair enough, theres hundreds that tick all the boxes, so whats the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The filling station deli is Spiddal has always been excellent but it's now becoming a Centra.

:P

Why are you getting so annoyed haha.
    Fair enough, theres hundreds that tick all the boxes, so whats the problem?

There's not. You got a bee in your bonnet about parking outside doors and fighting the big man brand names. I know some people think it's honourable to be seen helping small businesses but the same people always assume that all small business are worth helping just because of what's not above the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A roll and coke near the Regency for €2.

Hardly still doing it that cheap?

I'm in there a fair bit, might have to go down for my lunch break on chicken fillet roll Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You might have met a strict person at the deli counter who tried to charge you for a portion of coleslaw as well. There's one near me and I always go out of my way to avoid her when getting food at the deli counter.

The other reason it might have being expensive is. It's sold by weight. Centra near me before used sell medium filled rolls for €4 but large rolls were sold by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A severe lack of mustard in this thread :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

There's not. You got a bee in your bonnet about parking outside doors and fighting the big man brand names. I know some people think it's honourable to be seen helping small businesses but the same people always assume that all small business are worth helping just because of what's not above the door.

Not at all, I shop in centra and supervalu too, just saying I notice a price difference with smaller businesses. You dont have to agree, its grand.

Do super valu still persist with the soft rolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fieldog wrote: »

I'm in there a fair bit, might have to go down for my lunch break on chicken fillet roll Friday :)

Keep your head down

Why did you go to one?
    Because it's next door to the building where my friend works, and I was starving.

I sometimes eat from so-called Deli counters, that's not the problem. I just don't expect to pay over 8 quid for one of their sandwiches (probably made from chicken on the eve of the sell-by date) and a poxy bottle of water (upon which margins are already massive, btw).
    I applaud your refusal to pay. I'd just have paid for it otherwise. I handed back a pint in the Glen of Aherlow hotel a number of years ago. €4.95 in the middle of nowhere.
    In fairness, it was about 3.30pm and the shop was empty. I reckon we've all overpaid for pints, especially because you're usually with mates and the place is packed. Retailers/ publicans are definitely aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fieldog wrote: »

Na it only lasted at that price for less than a year. Last time I was there it was €3.50 but that was about 5 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Don't worry, we are already starting a recessionary period and it will be fairly dramatic. Lets check the price of that roll in December.

A roll and coke near the Regency for €2.
    Fcuk sake. I could nearly pay for a taxi to the Regency and buy my sandwich for that price.

Work it off on my walk back to the office.

No doubt about it lads. We're being gouged and we're going through the same phase we were during the last boom.

In a few years, there'll be some unemployed former Centra owners here, all misty-eyed from the days when they were charging punters minimum-wage for a sandwich and own-brand water. That's also my point. It's all such a waste. Charge a sustainable price and build loyalty -- the basics of running a business, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

quokula wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a local non-chain shop in my life that had a deli counter?

You need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

5.50 in my local shop, coffee and chicken roll/wrap,fcuk that op, that would feel a little bit like rape if I had to pay 8 euro for it, no way would I pay that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I'd pay and give out to someone later who couldn't do anything about it.

Hahahahahahahahaha! What a reply. So accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Was it a moody Eastern European who slapped it together for you?
    For 6.20 I'd want an Eastern European with the roll. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

How did people manage years ago when there wasn't 'deli's' or bottles of water. I think they brought a packed lunch with them. i don't mind paying money for food but 2 something for water really gets me especially as everyone has good quality water nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

For 6.20 I'd want an Eastern European with the roll. :pac:

Be careful what you say , I hear Igor likes a good roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Most expensive roll I have ever purchased in my life and only did as I was extremely hungover and unaware of the price was 6.50 for a breakfast roll in Killarney, I twigged it at the counter and told them it was 3 euro dearer than our capital, I don't think Centra really cared with the amount of yanks buying souvenirs and shíte in the shop...

Fieldsman wrote: »
    How did people manage years ago when there wasn't 'deli's' or bottles of water. I think they brought a packed lunch with them. i don't mind paying money for food but 2 something for water really gets me especially as everyone has good quality water nowadays.

Years ago, you weren't expected to have a Skype chat to some lad in Connecticut at 7pm GMT, or eat through your lunch break because "this is a startup and we have to behave like a team"

Don't blame employees for this. We're not the ones choosing to work extra hours so we can live 40km outside the city. I've had it up to my guts with that sentimental old sh1te.

Some people were born at the right time, and more luck to them. Just stop gloating.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I was having an utterly **** day but this thread is a delight and has genuinely cheered me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

White roll, spicy chicken, butter, lettuce, cheese, ketchup, €4.50.

Unbelievable feed. Put it with a bottle of Lucozade Citrus and you’ve the hangover cure of the Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A lot of people turn up their nose at the humble chicken roll. They're probably the sort of people that eat avocado on toast and drink half caff decaff mocha choco bambinos at Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Years ago, you weren't expected to have a Skype chat to some lad in Connecticut at 7pm GMT, or eat through your lunch break because "this is a startup and we have to behave like a team"

Don't blame employees for this. We're not the ones choosing to work extra hours so we can live 40km outside the city. I've had it up to my guts with that sentimental old sh1te.

Some people were born at the right time, and more luck to them. Just stop gloating.

That’s correct but you could still make a hang sandwich at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

A lot of people turn up their nose at the humble chicken roll. They're probably the sort of people that eat avocado on toast and drink half caff decaff mocha choco bambinos at Starbucks.

I think people are turning up their noses at the price. That’s my understanding of this thread.

Advertisement