Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Diamond League

• 06-05-2019 6:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there's no thread already, so thought I may as well set one up! Should be an interesting year ahead as we lead up to the World Championships in Doha.

Season kicked off last Friday night, in the same stadium where the World's will be held later this year. Dina Asher-Smith kicked picked up where she left off last year in the 200m and Hellen Obiri had a nice win in the 3000m over Genzebe Dibaba. Guliyev, Manangoi and El Bakkali all won in the 200m, 1500m and 3000m respectively.

The biggest story going into the night was, of course, that Caster Semenya lost her hearing with the IAAF, so this would be her last time running middle distance without medication. Sure enough she won easily in 1:54.98, putting her 15th on the all-time list. She has insisted she's not going to take medication, but also states that she won't be retiring, so remains to be seen whether or not she'll move up to longer distances where the rules wouldn't apply. She tested the waters recently by winning the 5000m at the South-African championships in 16:05.97.

Anyway, hope there's enough interest in the thread to keep it going, but there seems to be a fair few athletics fans on here so I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be. Next stop will be Shanghai on Saturday, May 18th.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The women's 3000 was a pretty great race, super finish by Obiri to blow Dibaba away, but some performance by Rengeruk. Took a nasty fall in the pack around 6 minutes in, but got back up and managed to place 3rd

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Forgot to mention also that this year is, as things stand, the last year of diamond league 5000m races as 3000m will be the longest distance from next year on :( Hope the athletes take a stand to this, it makes zero sense to me. Why have 3000m at the diamond leagues when they're not championship/Olympic events? It's bad enough we never so rarely get to see 10,000m races.

Obiri looks in super form, and surely the current favourite to retain her crown at the world's. I don't think she's even back to her best yet, lots more to see from her I reckon. I'm looking forward to her continued rivalry with Hassan over the distance, another athlete I think we've more to see from at 5000m level.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Only just managed to get round to watching the highlights. Nike really need to supply their kit in colours other than blue. They had a range of different colours for London Marathon which helped spot who was who, but that was just daft in one of the races with over half the field wearing identical kit. They can only be deliberately trying to make it more difficult to watch for people.

Shanghai Diamond League today, entry lists here. Will be shown on Eurosport 2 at 2.30pm.

Missed the broadcast, but this is some photo-finish in the 100m!
    PHOTOFINISH_0010040.JPG

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Reckon Lyles could go close to Bolts 200m wr.

Caster Semenya will be running the 3,000m at Prefontaine, be interesting to see how that goes. She's up against some field though; Obiri, Hassan, Dibaba and Ayana! Very intrigued to see how Ayana gets on if she runs, would be her first race since London 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

going top watch it now

link for anyone who missed it , first race is barr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlINeE1Vfk0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Stockholm Diamond League is up tonight. Live Eurosport. Highlights on BBC, on Saturday.

Thomas Barr in 400m H, against Warholm.
    Final event is 10000m which will soon be a thing of the past in DL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Stockholm Diamond League is up tonight. Live Eurosport. Highlights on BBC, on Saturday.

10000m is never part of DL usually anyway. Besides the day before the main Eugene programme I’ve never seen a 10k on a DL programme.

I hope they keep the TV coverage going past the usual 2 hours to show it.

• Advertisement

Deferred on Eurosport, no? Barr's up in 10 minutes. Live blog here: https://www.diamondleague.com/news/single-news/news/detail/News/stockholm-live-updates-1/

28064212 wrote: »
    Deferred on Eurosport, no? Barr's up in 10 minutes. Live blog here: https://www.diamondleague.com/news/single-news/news/detail/News/stockholm-live-updates-1/

Was live on Eurosport Player. Perhaps not on TV.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    10000m is never part of DL usually anyway. Besides the day before the main Eugene programme I’ve never seen a 10k on a DL programme.

I hope they keep the TV coverage going past the usual 2 hours to show it.

Yes, rarely run , but from next year, never again.
    I remember a great race at Brussels DL a few years ago.

The stadium is practically empty for the 10000m. Only the die-hards remain! Maybe this tells us something........ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Barr was well back in 3rd there. Don't know his time exactly but on first impression he seemed to be high stepping more than normal, very 'bouncy' stride but kinda going up and down on the spot in a way. I might have a look back at other races and compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

The stadium is practically empty for the 10000m. Only the die-hards remain! Maybe this tells us something........ :D

What a shame then cos that was a fascinating 10,000

I won't spoil it for anyone; here's a recording of the whole thing on YT.

Impressive!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEUdiyZ_ecA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Itziger wrote: »
    Barr was well back in 3rd there. Don't know his time exactly but on first impression he seemed to be high stepping more than normal, very 'bouncy' stride but kinda going up and down on the spot in a way. I might have a look back at other races and compare.

Time isn’t good but good placing and more diamond league points. Very cold and breezy evening which isn’t ideal for fast times.

Warholm is a freak who can run fast in just about any weather but he’s the exception.

Barr beat some good athletes there.

Bit of a crazy women's 5000m race, Obiri took a heavy fall with 3 laps to go and then it was anyone's race. Nearly had a shock winner in Canadian Gabriela DeBues-Stafford, but she wound up in 4th, albeit with a Canadian record. Tirop took the win, and should be a medal contender in Doha.

Caster Semenya's ban has been temporarily lifted, so for now she's free to run again.

Caster Semenya's ban has been temporarily lifted, so for now she's free to run again.

Common fecking sense at last, I did not hear them complain about Michael Phelps having
    1. Double jointed ankles
    2. Disproportionate arm length relative to body
    3. Most critically, genetic mutation allowing him to produce less than half the lactic acid of rivals.

All successful athletes have huge genetic advantages over your standard person (and even more pronounced at elite level).

Should Basketball be capped at a height of 5'10" (Average height)?
    Boxers only have a set reach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Common fecking sense at last, I did not hear them complain about Michael Phelps having
    1. Double jointed ankles
    3. Most critically, genetic mutation allowing him to produce less than half the lactic acid of rivals.

All successful athletes have huge genetic advantages over your standard person (and even more pronounced at elite level).

There's a thread for that argument already, you'll find it there on the main page somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

1. Double jointed ankles

Semenya is only allowed to compete until her appeal is heard, this is not a ban lift and it is highly unlikely that it will be overturned by CAS.

Before I get in the fatal flaw of your argument which is a logical fallacy called false equivalence. A few points about your points. Micheal Phelps does not have a genetic mutation that allows him to produce half the lactate of his rivals. Athletes will in general have a higher lactate tolerance or higher rate of lactate clearance. Lactate is fuel so a high clearance rate means he has a very strong aerobic system, a high tolerance like another swimmer who produces twice the amount of Phelps means that swimmer has a very powerful anaerobic system(much stronger than Phelps). This isn't a one way street where lower means better, if you tested ever elite swimmer in those events, you would find that some would have much less lactate production than twice Phelps(very aerobically strong swimmers)and others would have more than twice(very anaerobically strong swimmers). For the hell of it, someone might come along and produce more than twice Phelps Lactate in a few years and dominate and the same media outlets will say that he has an incredible tolerance to lactate. It's the way psyiology works.

On the boxing point re reach. Boxing is already a divided sport within male competition when it comes to weight.

The basketball comparison has been shot down by almost everyone already as a false equivalence. Better comparisons would be along these lines.

Would it be ok for Phelps to compete in Women's swimming?
    Would it be ok for Anthony Joshua to compete in Women's boxing?
    Would it be ok for Lebron to compete in the WNBA?

Stretched but more relevant questions in this debate.

The line is drawn on Biological SEX. Making comparisons within unprotected division in MALE sports with Phelps and Basketball is a false equivalence. It sounds good and wins over people but those arguments are logically irrational, they make no sense in this debate. Women are protected in sport because if they weren't, a female athlete would never win a world title or at any sport.

Caster Semenya, Francine Niyonsaba or any of the other 6 or 7 46XY DSD athletes who have already been officially effected by the CAS ruling are not Female in a sport where the dividing line is a SEX line. This is not a Micheal Phelps type advantage over other men, this is about the difference between male and female performance(the most significant performance gap in this species). These athletes are intersex, have genetic male chromosome profiles, some have testosterone levels in excess of the average males(albeit with less sensitivity) and underwent male puberty. The comparison you make with Phelps advantage in the male division is like comparing grains of sand in the Sahara when there's a much wider picture when you stand back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rome Diamond League on now on Eurosport.

Barr a distant 4th in the Hurdles, predictably won by a wide margin by Benjamin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

What a finish to the 5000m mens race !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

4Ad wrote: »
    What a finish to the 5000m mens race !

Some great races last night, also men's 800m and women's 1500 & 100m

A super 1500m performance from Muir considering she was bumped early on.

As above, great 1500 race. Didn't actually notice Muir got bumped, but she'd have been in a much better position to win had she not been so far back during the first couple of laps. I think I read it was her second fastest 1500 ever? I'd be shocked if she doesn't medal in Doha later this year. Must've stung a bit to lose to her bestie though :)

Start lists for Oslo out. Irish representation in Thomas Barr in the hurdles and Paul Robinson in the 3,000 metres. It's also the season debut of Emma Coburn in the 3,000 metres steeplechase, really looking forward to seeing how she gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Start lists for Oslo out. Irish representation in Thomas Barr in the hurdles and Paul Robinson in the 3,000 metres. It's also the season debut of Emma Coburn in the 3,000 metres steeplechase, really looking forward to seeing how she gets on.

Don't be too surprised if Robinson lines up as pace maker, unless Bideau has pulled some major strings I would imagine that given the field and his form shown since return from injury that is the reason for his inclusion (IIRC he did pace making duties last year for one of the DL meets)

• Advertisement

KSU wrote: »
    Don't be too surprised if Robinson lines up as pace maker, unless Bideau has pulled some major strings I would imagine that given the field and his form shown since return from injury that is the reason for his inclusion (IIRC he did pace making duties last year for one of the DL meets)

Right you are. Robinson leading them out now. Taking them through 1500.
    And he did a poor job , according to commentator.

Barr 2nd! A European record for Warholm!

Well paced, as ever by Barr. Came through well in the final 100m.
    Not in the same postcode as Warholm!

Not a bad Dream Mile! A bit of a shock winner.

Wouldn't have picked Lewandowski out of that line-up.

Forgot to comment on Thursday night. Great win for Lewandowski, and solid opener for Coburn in the steeplechase. Bit shocking to see Chepkoech beaten, perhaps we'll see a comedown this year.

As for tonight, brilliant women's 1,500 race! 3:55.47 WL win for Dibaba, Hassan setting a NR in second with 3:55.93. It's now looking like the 1,500 is Dibaba's best bet for Doha, although obviously a lot can happen between now and then, but right now I'd put her and Muir as the top two at the World's. Is Hassan still trying to decide what to race in Doha? Because I thought the 5/10k was what she was focusing on going forward. Great to see McColgan and Debues-Stafford get PB's too.

What happened to El-Bakkali in the steeplechase, just a bad race? Fell away with at about 800m and then just gave up.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow night's Pre Classic in Palo Alto (Hayward Field in Eugene is being renovated) looks likely to be a humdinger. Many of the track records are around a while. The men's 2 mile is from '62!

Live from 9 p.m. on Eurosport.

Flotrack has a preview that suggests a few* of the stadium records will be revised.

*All of them.

Been looking forward to this all week, such a stacked field. The women's 3,000m could be amazing, I wonder if we'll see a sub 8:20.

Cracking meet so far.

The 2 miles was a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Cracking meet so far.

Thrilling finish..

Cracking meet so far.

Absolutely, and the women's 3000m was similar quality.

Muir's under pressure at the bell!

• Advertisement

Bit late to comment, but holy sh*t what a brilliant meet last night! Sifan f*cking Hassan what a beast, 8:18.49! That's possibly the new clean world record. And how about Klosterhalfen almost breaking 8:20 too! Don't think many thought Gidey would be the one setting the pace and almost winning. Such an exciting race, it's actually a distance I wouldn't mind seeing being brought back to the World's/Olympics. I wonder is there any chance this may the IAAF's long term plan, what with their cutting the 5k from the Diamond League circuits?

I'm very surprised that Ayana was a total non-factor, I wonder when was the last time she finished dead last in a race? I know it was her first race in quite some time, and she's returning from surgery, but I didn't think she'd return to competition until she knew she was ready to compete. Obviously just needs more time, and anyway the 3,000 isn't her preferred distance by a long shot. Defending the 10,000m in Doha is, apparently, the priority.

Delighted with how well Emma Coburn ran, her second fastest steeplechase ever, and with a fall. It's a shame, because I think she could've cracked the magical sub-9 barrier otherwise, or at least PR'd. Courtney Frerich opened her season with a 9:09 finish, I trust she'll get faster as the year goes on.

Some return to form for Kipyegon, hasn't raced since 2017 and beats an in-form Muir immediately on her return. I'm a bit disappointed for Laura tbh, I kinda feel she needed that win, Kipyegon is only going to get better as the year goes on, although Laura can obviously go faster too.

Good stuff happened on the men's side too, Chelimo coming from nowhere to almost win the two miles was great fun to watch. Also nice to see the Ingebrigsten's get PR's in the mile also.

All out on the razz? :pac:

Lausanne tonight. An odd end to the men's 5k. Gebriwhet took off with a full out sprint with 700m to go, celebrated the win, and then found out he still had a lap to go! :o Kejelcha won and Gebriwhet suffered on that last lap like never before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lausanne tonight. An odd end to the men's 5k. Gebriwhet took off with a full out sprint with 700m to go, celebrated the win, and then found out he still had a lap to go! :o Kejelcha won and Gebriwhet suffered on that last lap like never before.
    Strange one indeed. If he'd looked up and seen the clock ticking over at 12:02 I think he'd have figured it out. :)

Noah Lyles 19.50. That's out there.

A super meet. Lyles, Fraser-Price, the men's PV, the men's 1500m. Some great times behind Lyles. And Ingebritsen the younger so close to 3:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

With good pacing, Cheryuiout has a legitimate chance at El G's 1500m World record in Monaco.

He went through 800m in 1:49 in Lausanne which is insane(3:39 mile pace or 3:24 1500 pace) and that was with a 53 first lap!!! At 1100m, Cheryuiout was still dead on EL G's World Record split of 2:32.5 and just a couple of tenths outside at 1200m but EL G had gone out much slower for the first 800.

El G 1500 WR splits(3:26.00)v Cherouiyt 1500 Luasanne.

400m: 54.3 v 53.86
    800: 1:50.7 v 1:49.41
    1100: 2:32.5 v 2:32.4
    1200: 2:46.3 v 2:46.62
    1500: 3:26.00 v 3:28.72

The end result might look like a huge difference but Cherouiyt was hanging on World record pace through 1200 despite the idiotic early pace. Anytime El G attempted to go through 4/8/1200m quicker than his WR splits, he caved just as bad as Cheryuiout and EL G never opened up with a 53/1:49 which is insane.

El G also had incredible pacemaking in that World Record as his pacemaker would burst on to the global scene just months later and would become the second fastest miler of all-time and Olympic Champion in 2000, Noah Ngeny. He managed to take EL G through 1200+ that day.

With just how fast the Monaco track is compared to Lausanne(which is a more sprint biased track) and really good pacemaking, I think Cheryuiout is a legitimate threat to that World Record in Monaco this year.

Wow at Gebrhiwet doing a Salpeter :pac:
    At least it was only a diamond league race!

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the tactics properly, but if Jakob didn't hang near the back and leave himself so much work to do then wouldn't he be able to better challenge for the win? Either way I doubt he's that worried yet, should be a medal contender in Doha.

Entry lists for Monaco are out. Dibaba Vs Hassan in the women's mile is the race of the night for me, I wonder if they'll get closer to the world record. Irish representation in Ciara Mageean as well, whilst the very not-Irish Beatrice Chepkoech will be trying her hand at what (I think) is her first ever flat mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

At the time, I actually thought that it was a really astute (and bold) tactical move, go hard early and hope you have enough of a gap and enough strength to hold on when the wheels invariably come off with 200m to go. I hadn't considered that he was thinking he only had 200m to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Fusitive wrote: »
    With good pacing, Cheryuiout has a legitimate chance at El G's 1500m World record in Monaco.

I'd agree that he's the best chance and probably the only one capable of threatening at the moment. but it's worth remembering how rare anything under 3:28 is. Only 5 athletes have managed it.

Or even times under 3:30. Only 32 athletes have ever managed to dip 3:30, fewer than the 35 that have run under 9.9 for 100m (remember when 10s was the magical barrier for the 100m?) and fewer than the 49 that have ran under 2:05 for the marathon!

Under 3:28 would still be stunning.

I think they're the pacer splits at 400m and 800m posted above so Cheruiyot's paces were slightly less insane, but probably still too fast from 400m - 1000m. But what impressed me and would give me hope that he might go faster is that he actually held it together quite well.

Only one person in the race ran the 700m-1500m section faster than him (Jakob) and only two closed faster than him (Jakob & Filip Ingebrigtsen)

A significant difference between him and El Guerrouj's pacing was that El Guerrouj finished so quickly, apparently running 40s for the last 300m! Cheruiyot ran closer to 42.
    Maybe I'm not fully understanding the tactics properly, but if Jakob didn't hang near the back and leave himself so much work to do then wouldn't he be able to better challenge for the win? Either way I doubt he's that worried yet, should be a medal contender in Doha.

While there's a lot of conjecture about optimal pacing in the 1500m, I don't think there is any doubt that Jakob left some time on the track. The optimal 1500m time will always involve a positive split (2nd half slower). Jakob's split from 700-1500m was 2 whole seconds faster than his first 800m split. That's huge (and the only negative split in the race). His last lap was 54.86, compared to Cheruiyot's 56.67.

Doha's so far away but I suspect the Ingebrigtsens have planned their seasons appropriately. And Jakob is such an intelligent racer - he doesn't have the speed of the very top 1500m guys but, as long as he stays fit, he will be going under 3:30.

Here are the relevant splits from the first 6:

first 800m / last 800m (final lap)

Cheruiyot 1:49.8 / 1:52.77 (56.67)
    J Ingebrigtsen 1:53.3 / 1:51.26 (54.86)
    Souleiman 1:50.3 / 1:54.29 (57.29)
    F Ingebrigtsen 1:51.9 / 1:53.02 (56.32)
    Musagala 1:50.9 / 1:54.53 (57.33)
    Tefera 1:50.6 / 1:54.59 (58.19)

• Advertisement
Advertisement