Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know More About Your Elves - #8 DvB

• 27-05-2019 9:29am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Monday one and all,

Here we are thread number 8 on this and this time the June bank holiday is upon us! :)

Sun is beginning to make and appearance and the nights are beginning to get warmer.... is summer on the way? :eek: :D

This week it's the turn of the wonderful DvB.... let's kick off.

First single you ever bought?

Favourite movie of all time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Favourite meal?

First Car?

Tea or Coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

First single you ever bought?

My first ever single was Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood, I remember not fully understanding the lyrics at that age & my folks being stunned by it.... so I loved it! To this day its still one of my favourite dance tracks of all time.

Movie is a real tough one as I have so many.... in fact I'd need to have a think as even narrowing that down to 5 or 6 would be tough. Let me come back to this one!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Favourite meal?

First Car?

Tea or Coffee?

Meal = Lamb vindaloo with peas pilau rice & a garlic onion & coriander naan on the side. yum!

Car = 1.1L ford fiesta, back in 1992, had it for about 2 years before buying the only car I ever bought brand new, a 1.4L Honda Civic.
    The fiesta had no power steering and was pretty basic & when I look back it was such a poor drive, but I loved it at the time!!

Tea/ Coffee = Depends on the time of day, early on I'd be lost without coffee, usually having 2 or 3 or sometimes 4 before lunch, but I love my tea too, generally only drinking it after my dinner in the evening now, which is probably my favourite hot beverage of the day.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Favourite holiday location?

Favourite Bank Holiday?

Favourite Sport?

Loughc wrote: »
    Favourite holiday location?

Favourite Bank Holiday?

Favourite Sport?

Holiday.

Have a few, Tenerife being the current favourite for a family sun european break. Been 3 times in the last 5 years. Love the canaries in general for sun holidays, Lanzarote is another spot we love as a family. Further afield, I loved San Diego & San Francisco & would love to go back some day.

Bank Holiday.
    Other than Christmas I love the October b/h weekend. We always go away as a family for the long weekend down the country, kilkenny, wexford & waterford being the last 3, this year we're heading to clonakilty. We see it as the last hurrah before the christmas as it breaks up the run from the end of summer through to christmas.

Sport.
    As a fan Football is really my favourite and am a huge Shamrock Rovers fan. I also love Rugby (Leinster) & American football (Cowboys) but my favourite sport to participate in was Hockey, only stopping playing due to a bad knee injury which left me gutted.
    I still help coach my kids Gaelic Football & Hurling teams & that fills the 'playing' void these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hi DvB !

Here mine:

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Who are your heroes in real life?

What are your favorite names?

otnomart wrote: »
    Hi DvB !

Here mine:

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Who are your heroes in real life?

What are your favorite names?

"It is what it is" is one I find myself using a bit, and the ironic thing is I hate that phrase. I reckon I have loads but I suspect others would spot them quicker than I would.

Heroes is a tough one, I tend to admire people I know rather than people we see through the media or news or such like. Top of the list would be my wife, and I mean that, she is an absolute legend and I have huge admiration for her and all that she does, she's a true hero on my eyes. I see her with the kids and know they have the best mum 2 kids could ever have.
    My dad would be another, he taught me to be the best I could be growing up and set me a fantastic example... hes a true gent and sticks by his principles even when it would be far easier to go with the flow. I hope I can be half the man he is given the hardships he's endured.

Names, dont really have favourites, but I love my 2 kids names, our girl we agreed on quickly as it had a meaning for both myself and my wife, our boy took a tad longer but it so suits him I cant imagine him as anything else, if that makes sense. Dont want to name them here but they top the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What is your favorite colour?

What is your favorite shop?

What is your favorite fast food?

What is your favorite drink?

What is your favorite colour?

What is your favorite shop?

What is your favorite fast food?

What is your favorite drink?

Colour = green
    Fast food = eddie rockets burgers with sweet potato fries
    Shop = penneys or diffneys for clothes, b&q is the one I could easily spend most in though.
    Drink = non alcoholic would be coffee or tea, alcoholic would be Guinness and in the summer months IPA and pale ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Four famous people (dead or alive) to have dinner with and why?

As my other stable holiday question is gone........Favourite way to relax?

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Four famous people (dead or alive) to have dinner with and why?

As my other stable holiday question is gone........Favourite way to relax?

Favourite way to relax is usually with a beer out in the back garden on a sunny day. That or curled up watching a good movie or TV show with a nice cup of tea.

4 guests alive or dead... that's a great one and I've thought about when done of the other elves were asked and came up with a different answer each time, this time i'll go for the world of entertainment though I could have a different 4 for sport, history and politics... anyway, Jim Morrison would be first, I'm a big fan of the doors and would love to have had a chance to listen to his tales of excess, Billy Connolly I'd have too to provide us with with a few jokes, Irvine Welsh as I'm a huge fan of his books and would love the chance to discuss his writing with him and lastly I'll go for paloma faith as I love her quirky sense of style and her music and she has strong opinions on a lot of subjects that I'd feel strongly about myself and would love to hear her talk about them in a small group setting.

Not the most exciting or inspired choice for many but I reckon they'd leave me both entertained and open minded... I suspect a few nice bottles of vino would be quaffed at it too 😂

Have given this a little bit of thought & I struggled to keep it to one but decided that in the interests of the thread I should make an effort, so on the basis its a film I admire greatly & have always considered a timeless classic & has never disappointed I'll go for Citizen Kane.

Many, many honourable mentions for varying reasons, The Empire Strikes back, the godfather, The deer hunter, Alien, The Thing, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Reservoir Dogs, Man bites dog, This is England, Blazing Saddles, could all have been the one depending on my mood, but when put on the spot, Citizen Kane ticks more of the boxes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some great honourable mentions there! Great list.

Some great honourable mentions there! Great list.

Agree, happily watch any of those.

Agree, happily watch any of those.

Lads, it could be 5 times as long, I kid you not.
    Back in the days when I had time to myself (seems like an age ago now :)) I was a movie nut & watched as many as I could.

DvB wrote: »
    Lads, it could be 5 times as long, I kid you not.
    Back in the days when I had time to myself (seems like an age ago now :)) I was a movie nut & watched as many as I could.

I only had this conversation yesterday I used to be a MASSIVE movie buff, there was nothing more than I used to love was load up on movies and watch away for the night.

Nowadays I'm so busy than I don't know if I could risk watching something for 2 hours that may or may not be any good.

I only had this conversation yesterday I used to be a MASSIVE movie buff, there was nothing more than I used to love was load up on movies and watch away for the night.

Nowadays I'm so busy than I don't know if I could risk watching something for 2 hours that may or may not be any good.

Getting serious doppleganger vibes here :) this could be me word for word.

Getting serious doppleganger vibes here :) this could be me word for word.

We should form a support group!

I very rarely get two continuous hours to watch a movie from start to finish (apart from kids movies) so usually record them and watch over a few sittings. Better than nothing however can be difficult if there is a tricky plot/storyline.

Anyway, keep the questions coming guys, am enjoying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Anyway, keep the questions coming guys, am enjoying this.

What's the most embarrassing thing you've done?

• Advertisement

Best advice you’ve ever been given?

Best advice you’ve ever been given?

Don't eat yellow snow:D

Sorry, couldn't resist that.
    Not sure if I can remember any specific advice but I always remember my dad telling me that I shouldn't let work get in the way of my life, always work to live & don't live to work, & that no one lay on their death bed & regretted not staying late some night to get some meaningless task finished.
    He was spot on too, I've been up to my eyes with work & have been finding it very stressful of late & have had to stop myself taking it out at home on the kids & can see how easy it is to lose sight of whats important.

Do you have a bucket list? If so how’s it going??

What's the most embarrassing thing you've done?

Loads!

Cant remember anything too 'juicy' for want of a better description but do remember fancying one of my sisters college mates back when I was in my late teens/eary 20's & when she came to stay over one christmas for a party we were having getting a tad drunk in an effort to overcome my chronic shyness in an attempt to impress her & falling over & landing behind the tv stand in the living room.... I was mortified!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Hiya DvB,
    Do food do you crave the most?
    What was your favourite childhood book?
    What’s your favourite Christmas movie?
    Thanks! :)

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Hiya DvB,
    Do food do you crave the most?
    What was your favourite childhood book?
    What’s your favourite Christmas movie?
    Thanks! :)

Food = I go through spells of craving different things, i dont really have a sweet tooth so I tend to crave spicy things if I go through a spell of not having any, I love doritos chilli heatwave but try to limit them as they are lethal, but i definitely get cravings for them or my other weakness in the snack world, hunky Dory buffalo crisps.

Childhood book = easy one this, Lord of the rings. I remember my dad bringing me a copy of the fellowship of the ring when I was about 9 or 10 & struggling through it, he then got me the second 2 volumes & i proceeded to read them at least 5 or 6 times.
    I also loved the famous five books by Enid Blyton when I was younger & read them all.

Christmas Movie + cant limit this to one, so I'll minimise it at 2 , Its a wonderful life & National Lampoons christmas vacation, both get a viewing every single year. Christmas Vacation in the run up, usually about 2 weeks before & its a wonderful life on christmas eve after we've gotten the kids to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

If you had a day to yourself, no obligations, could do anything you wanted, how would you spend it?

Do you have a bucket list? If so how’s it going??

I'm sure you just missed this one :D

I'm sure you just missed this one :D

Oops! I did indeed.

Not gonna lie, dont have one. Theres one or 2 things I'd love to see happen in my lifetime but all are out of my control to one extent or another (most sport related). Theres a few places I'd like to visit and I'd love to conquer my fears and learn to swim, other than that I'm happy as long as me and those I care about are happy and healthy.

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    If you had a day to yourself, no obligations, could do anything you wanted, how would you spend it?

Sleep. Well I'd have a lie in anyway. We get up at 5.45am mon-fri and at about 7-7.30 at weekends so a rest would be bliss. I'd have to have a think about the rest so I'll come back to this.

Advertisement