Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Well done Enduro...95:46:44 incredible...

https://www.facebook.com/TheSpineRace/videos/232228557699558/

And he finished with a hop skip and a jump as only Enduro could, huge congrats Eoin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Another great performance by hot2trot at the Athens 48hr race..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I think all these events and achievements need threads of their own...
    Well done to hot2trot...ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

jamule wrote: »

Paddy had a top 10 finish in the Vibram Hong Kong 100k yesterday morning, finishing ahead of USA's Tim Olson which is no mean feat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there somewhere that has the history of ultras, the early days? I was searching earlier and see there were some studies published in the 80s and 90s which I was surprised by...from not knowing much, really. Wiki has some results from then and 70s too, but only results and not really anything around how ultras came to be. The Europe section is a little brief too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Is there somewhere that has the history of ultras, the early days? I was searching earlier and see there were some studies published in the 80s and 90s which I was surprised by...from not knowing much, really. Wiki has some results from then and 70s too, but only results and not really anything around how ultras came to be. The Europe section is a little brief too.

Ultras have been around since the 1800's. Remember reading somewhere something about some world records in the ultras existing from late 1800's up until the 1970's and 80's. How verifiable those things are is anyone's guess as there's been claims of sub-4 miles back in the 1850's. I don't think they had garmins or jones counters back then.:)

I don't know any books or anything on the history but I know there was races lasting days in the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Ultras have been around since the 1800's. Remember reading somewhere something about some world records in the ultras existing from late 1800's up until the 1970's and 80's. How verifiable those things are is anyone's guess as there's been claims of sub-4 miles back in the 1850's. I don't think they had garmins or jones counters back then.:)

I don't know any books or anything on the history but I know there was races lasting days in the 19th century.

No records of Ultras started until Dean Karnazes started running.... Anything prior to that was make believe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Here's something I found that will probably get you started.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrianism

Appartently, ultrarunning started in the 17th Century and was called "foot racing" and it evolved into pedestrianism during the 19th Century before a controversial rule called "heel to toe" and "straight legged" were introduced and spawned racewalking as we know it today. I presume the people who didn't like the rule just kept ultrarunning. It's wikipedia so not gospel but it's probably a good start to dig deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Is there somewhere that has the history of ultras, the early days?

A bit USA-centric, but interesting enough (or so I thought):

http://ultrarunninghistory.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Live results from the 100k currently underway in Perth, Scotland incorporating the Anglo-Celtic Cup. Leaders through 42k in 2h50!

https://my5.raceresult.com/115873/results?lang=en#0_F88260

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Live results from the 100k currently underway in Perth, Scotland incorporating the Anglo-Celtic Cup. Leaders through 42k in 2h50!

https://my5.raceresult.com/115873/results?lang=en#0_F88260

You might want to add that our very own Artiefufkin is taking part and doing very well indeed, presently in 8th place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

You might want to add that our very own Artiefufkin is taking part and doing very well indeed, presently in 8th place!

And finished in 7th in 7:36:00....
    Fantastic run....

Excellent run also from Aidan Hogan, 12th in 8:01

I know we haven't got Enduro running it this year but the Barkley is on again this weekend and there will be somewhat regular updates on twitter.

https://twitter.com/keithdunn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Two Irish running: Carol Morgan and Billy Reid. Good weather this year by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Carol M out it seems. Weather has 'closed in' as well. Dropping like the proverbial.......

No finishers this year

Exactly wrote: »
    No finishers this year

Nobody managed even 4 loops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DinoF

Enduro wrote: »
    Two Irish running: Carol Morgan and Billy Reid. Good weather this year by the sound of it.

Not quite as good as you thought, Eoin ;). Billy was in a vest on the first loop and 5 layers on the second in the sleet! A wise decision made along with Stephanie Case and Nicky Spinks to stop at the point of no return at the Garden Spot before a trip into more remote country.

Carol was carrying a knee injury which slowed her to the point that she could not meet the cut off for the first loop. She spent the whole day on her own navigating herself though, so pretty good experience if she got the chance to go again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great race report by Enduro on last week's UTMB Ushuaia.

Excellent result, finishing 8th overall and 2nd M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Yesterday the UTMB unveiled their new entry process for the UTMB Mont-Blanc here .

A reconfiguration of the entry process was badly needed in light of the ever increasing numbers applying however the new qualification system is quite disheartening. Just 10 points are needed to enter the UTMB draw going forward however if you use the "stepping stones" system and finish a number of UTMB branded races (which are in fantastic places), you get automatic entry. It's a win win for the UTMB branded juggernaut but unfortunately creates a class divide between those who can afford to go to the stepping stone races and those who cannot.

Interested to hear other peoples thoughts?

Admission of guilt: While I'm not in agreement with the new system and I'd like to say that I would boycott UTMB events, I have guaranteed entry to the 2020 UTMB CCC race and I've every intention of being at that start line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Neady83 wrote: »
    Yesterday the UTMB unveiled their new entry process for the UTMB Mont-Blanc here .

A reconfiguration of the entry process was badly needed in light of the ever increasing numbers applying however the new qualification system is quite disheartening. Just 10 points are needed to enter the UTMB draw going forward however if you use the "stepping stones" system and finish a number of UTMB branded races (which are in fantastic places), you get automatic entry. It's a win win for the UTMB branded juggernaut but unfortunately creates a class divide between those who can afford to go to the stepping stone races and those who cannot.

Interested to hear other peoples thoughts?

Admission of guilt: While I'm not in agreement with the new system and I'd like to say that I would boycott UTMB events, I have guaranteed entry to the 2020 UTMB CCC race and I've every intention of being at that start line

All brands are the same eventually. Sounds like the IronMan crap in the Tri world. I would be loathe to support a brand that makes it difficult for people to access these races due to their expense. The logistics of some endurance events already make them expensive although not as bad as having to transport your 6,000 euro Tri bike as well.

Maybe one idea would be to have a number of places for 'locals', say that race that Enduro did the brilliant report on above, they could have some spots for Argentinians/Chileans or something. Just throwing that out there off the top of my head.

I first realised that about triathlons while watching a CommonWealth games a few years ago. African clean sweep in all the distance running events and then BINGO, the Triathlon. White-boy party time. Sure one of those things must cost absolutely thousands to enter and compete in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Becoming more like Ironman. Great events but it’s those with money that benefit most.

The decision to reduce points is a good thing. People were putting a lot of stress on themselves with multiple Ultras per year.

But the stepping stones is complete bull****. Sure, I’ll fly to Oman or Ushuaia, no bother. Their race their rules etc.

Apparently there’s a lot of unhappiness building in Chamonix locally, whatever about the massive tourism boom it brings.

It’s a step back in fairnesss. You have great races like Lavaredo used as qualifying races but not being treated equally. I remember Lake District 50/100 telling utmb to shove it when asked to pay for privilege of having UTMB points.

All that said, it’s a stunning race. The support is insane, the whole town is brilliant for that week. It’s class.

Therein lies the rub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'm fairly neutral on it. It will definitely work in my favour, as it happens. But at the moment I don't actually need it to, as it happens. The old system works perfectly well for me.

The problem here is that there are way more people trying to get in than there are places. In comparison to a lot of the other iconic trail ultras UTMB have the system that best gives both average runners and elites an opportunity to get in. In comparison WSER and Hardrock are extremely difficult to get into, and keep it that way. There's going to be a lot of unhappy people no matter what the system used is.

Its a bit like the points system for getting into college in Ireland... a lot of people dislike it, but in practice it is very fair and better than any alternatives I've looked into.

There's a lot of things that can get conflate here that shouldn't. Points for completing races are ITRA managed, not UTMB. They are different organisations. ITRA is a non-profit international governing body. UTMB is a race organising company which has never claimed to be non-profit.

ITRA is IMO working very well. It does a good job of managing the race points system, and has established a very professional organisation that is definitely helping to build the sport {in contrast to the IAU, for example). The money that races pay to get points for their races goes to fund ITRA, not the UTMB.

UTMB are commercial race organisers. They've done an amazing job, and frankly deserve the rewards coming their way. The whole sport is gaining from their achievements. Having seen close up what goes on, and having had conversations with people who work with the organisers, and with the organisers themselves, to me it is nothing like Ironman. Its much better than that.

Frankly they could "do an ironman" and put an extra zero onto their race entry fees if they were that way inclined. The races would probably become even more over-subscribed if they did (look at MDS for an example of that working).

So I don't think its about the money. I do think they want to drive growth in the UTMB franchised races, and the UTWT races. This looks like a useful nudge in that direction.

Money will always be an advantage to getting into most races. that's reality. Money will enable you to travel to "soft points" races for the old system. The new system just puts an emphasis on a more focused bunch of races in a second alternate system. As it happens, these are mostly excellent races. I would see this as a good thing.

I'm glad to see that the Elite entry system seems to remain in place. One of the great things about the UTMB is the depth of the elite field, which is far far better than almost every other race. That makes for great racing, and a great spectacle. Without UTMB we probably wouldn't see a lot of the elites race each other apart from the occasional small battle here and there. (I'm not an Elite according to UTMB standards, so I don't personally benefit from this)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

Hi to all. Doing the Energia24 in Belfast in june and wanted to ask if somebody is familiar with the logistic of the race like that. Somehow thinking that will be able to be wake up and run/walk for 24 hour without sleep ( but still want to have the tent). Is there place on the course where somebody from my crew will be able just to pass me the drink, are the aid station well maned and what type of food is available? . Are somebody aware of some check list that is good to have with you, just to keep the mind in place and just run on that day? Tnx

sutrra wrote: »
    Hi to all. Doing the Energia24 in Belfast in june and wanted to ask if somebody is familiar with the logistic of the race like that. Somehow thinking that will be able to be wake up and run/walk for 24 hour without sleep ( but still want to have the tent). Is there place on the course where somebody from my crew will be able just to pass me the drink, are the aid station well maned and what type of food is available? . Are somebody aware of some check list that is good to have with you, just to keep the mind in place and just run on that day? Tnx

The organisers do provide some stuff but in the main it is your own responsibility to make sure you have what you need. They have room for everyone to set up a tent and a table beside the route, and you will be passing it at every mile so to have your crew pass you food and drink is trivial. Bring your own stuff - do not rely on the organisers!

Not only is it perfectly possible to run through the night, it is the done thing to do. Personally I would not even contemplate having a snooze - not only will you lose hours of time, I get so stiff after a break that I probably would not be able to get started again. It's a 24 hrs race and everyone should try and be on the course for as close to 24 hours as possible.

Checklist? Don't over-complicate things. Just run.

So, James Williams started his LEJOG record attempt today. He has some pedigree at ultra events up to 100miles, and has completed Marathon de Sables. Not sure if he has any other multiday experience.

Apparently has been knocking out 40-50k most days before work and I see on Strava he has 4900km logged this year. Amongst his team of advisers is listed Mimi Anderson. Would seem to be a worthy contender.

Website here https://www.jamesrunsfar.com/lejog-2019

Tracker here: http://live.opentracking.co.uk/lejog19/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Amongst his team of advisers is listed Mimi Anderson.

****** Alarm bells ringing ******

Advertisement