Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

troyzer wrote: »
    I would imagine academy players get more at the provinces, no?

I mean, even a non test player like Adam Byrne is probably making enough to fund half of the squad.

Dunno what exactly they're on now but academy players a few years ago were on €8,000 a year along with accommodation & food paid for - and it had just been brought up a fair bit at that stage.

It's possible the 7s players also have their food & lodgings paid I suppose, haven't looked into it or read the statement yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    I would imagine academy players get more at the provinces, no?

I mean, even a non test player like Adam Byrne is probably making enough to fund half of the squad.

Academy players are on below minimum wage in most cases and as said in the article, they've lined the Sevens contracts up with development contracts as they feel it's still a developmental game for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭nerd69

It's a shame I can see us not lasting in the world series with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Bazzo wrote: »
    Dunno what exactly they're on now but academy players a few years ago were on €8,000 a year along with accommodation & food paid for - and it had just been brought up a fair bit at that stage.

It's possible the 7s players also have their food & lodgings paid I suppose, haven't looked into it or read the statement yet.

They don't get their food and lodgings paid for and as far as I'm aware the players themselves were under the impression that their wages would rise quite a bit if they qualified for the world series so this could get messy if they don't. The IRFU are asking them for more commitment, more travel, at a higher level, with more money coming into the Union with no extra pay, that won't go down well if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

On Sky Sports too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

New Zealand absolutely ferocious at the breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ireland match schedule for today:
    vs. England - 12:04
    vs. New Zealand - 14:48
    vs. Scotland - 17:54

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ireland look really good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Conroy a nervous wreck.

• Advertisement

Solid win. Conroy very poor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Great win Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

troyzer wrote:
    Solid win. Conroy very poor though.

Hope he'll learn from that.

Ah lads. Love this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭nerd69

Beating England 2 years in a row in England is a serious statement really hope they can keep this team together

Honestly though. We'd be much better off letting England win it and try qualify for the Olympics!

nerd69 wrote: »
    Beating England 2 years in a row in England is a serious statement really hope they can keep this team together

If they don't up their pay they won't.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    If they don't up their pay they won't.

Don't really see how the IRFU can justify it as a 'developmental game' any more when the team is performing at the top level and winning against tier 1 nations.

Don't really see how the IRFU can justify it as a 'developmental game' any more when the team is performing at the top level and winning against tier 1 nations.

They can't justify it. They expect the likes of Dardis to turn down advances from foreign clubs for basically no money, Nucifora is just exploiting the Irish want to play for and in Ireland that is ingrained in irish Rugby and was a strength but he's beginning to use it as a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

D14Rugby wrote: »
    They can't justify it. They expect the likes of Dardis to turn down advances from foreign clubs for basically no money, Nucifora is just exploiting the Irish want to play for and in Ireland that is ingrained in irish Rugby and was a strength but he's beginning to use it as a weapon.

Let’s take a step back. They have been funded to achieve World Series status. They will undoubtedly see a significant bump as World Series funding and increased sponsorship kicks in.
    Until a short while ago these guys were playing in the European sevens series which to be frank is similar level to where our international basketball team is.
    Sevens is a drain on resources and whatever commitment we make comes at the expense of women’s XV, AIL and the other aspects of the game. We should fund it, but let’s not kid ourselves these teams are ever going to be on top cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

No one is saying they should be on top money. Just more than what they’re on now given the increase in standard and commitment it will require. It’s taking advantage of them to not.

If the irfu see it purely as a development team still given everything then fine I guess (although that would be fairly disappointing and disrespectful) as they’ll lose the best players to contracts elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

They're not a world series team until next year. Obviously they won't get pay increase until then.
    I thought they're current pay was a well know fact.

The players welfare union is currently working on getting pay increase.

They're not a world series team until next year. Obviously they won't get pay increase until then.

Nucifora was giving the impression that they want a full world series with the current pay levels before it's reviewed.

Presumably he wants the assurance that Ireland are competitive at the top level and can guarantee the revenue to support themselves to allow bigger contracts.

The issue is that Nucifora has said they won't get a salary increase, and has mooted suggestions from the squad of getting sponsorship for them.

At the start of this season, the players were attempting to hold out for a larger contract, but conceded on the word that if they reached the world series their contracts would be renegotiated and brought up to a higher standard required for a full time world series core team. But Nucifora and the IRFU are now saying this won't happen.

Let’s take a step back. They have been funded to achieve World Series status. They will undoubtedly see a significant bump as World Series funding and increased sponsorship kicks in.
    Until a short while ago these guys were playing in the European sevens series which to be frank is similar level to where our international basketball team is.
    Sevens is a drain on resources and whatever commitment we make comes at the expense of women’s XV, AIL and the other aspects of the game. We should fund it, but let’s not kid ourselves these teams are ever going to be on top cash

Nucifora has openly and conclusively said they won't see a pay increase despite the increased income.
    You're seriously underestimating how lucrative the main 7s circuit is.
    If anything it has been funded at the "expense" of the mens 15s team.

The issue is that Nucifora has said they won't get a salary increase, and has mooted suggestions from the squad of getting sponsorship for them.

At the start of this season, the players were attempting to hold out for a larger contract, but conceded on the word that if they reached the world series their contracts would be renegotiated and brought up to a higher standard required for a full time world series core team. But Nucifora and the IRFU are now saying this won't happen.
    Might change their mind when there's a walk out. Once there's the tiniest bit of media attention I can see them conceding.

Might change their mind when there's a walk out. Once there's the tiniest bit of media attention I can see them conceding.

The issue is, at that point you've already shown a serious level of disrespect to the players to force them to have to walk out and potentially miss a world series event, after telling them the season before they would be rewarded for their hard work after accepting a measly contract.

Some of the players have offers from abroad to play 15s or play with club side 7s teams. Why would they want to stay and represent a union that only decides to pay them a fair amount to save their own face from the media, and not because they value the players.

Well that was a nice piece of pathetic tackling.....

When you hear the rough number players were told they'd get a year ago if they qualified for the series and the number they're now being told they'll get, I'd be striking anyway.

• Advertisement

These lads are unplayable

Advertisement