Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

The main points seem to be
    14 years of age and older

used on bike paths and bike lanes only ... not on footpaths

max speed of 20kmph

given same access as bicycles such as some one way streets

For use on other than bike lanes a special licence is required

Approved protection required I think .... headgear.

Yes for age, yes for banning them from footpaths, no to 20kmh, it would be better mirroring the lowest category of e-bikes and cap them at 25kmh. And yes to mandated headgear.

Basically mirror bikes & lowest category of e-bikes. Sorted.

I'd allow them out of bike lanes i.e. on the road only with a licence and/or some sort of an insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

McGiver wrote:
    In England it's enforced, lack of lights at night at least from my personal experience, and I've heard helmets too. Gardai don't see to be able to enforce anything here.

McGiver wrote:
    And yes to mandated headgear.

Helmets aren't mandatory for cyclists here so why would you want to introduce something additional for scooters that will be of as much protection as a builders vest if you get hit by a motor vehicle, and would potentially only offer some slight protection in other limited circumstances where you might take a spill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

ED E wrote: »
    You're greatly exaggerating the risk of a small 36V lipo pack. As long as you don't charge one while visibly damaged (post crash) they're about as dangerous as a laptop.

Really?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMxMr51zk4k

antodeco wrote: »
    And so should bicycles, which they don't. They are meant to, but they don't. No helmet wearing, lights, going through lights, cutting across the front of your car without notice.

As mentioned, it should be based on the person not vehicle. An idiot is as dangerous on a bicycle as a scooter and vice versa.

What I ment was that only scooters that meet a EU or Irish standard would be allowed on the road. Ie one is fitted with EU approved, factory fitted headlights, brakes etc.

A €2 set of lights from Aldi wont do.

Also the helmets would potentially need to meet EC22.07 regs like motorbike helmets.
    Any future law will need to be boilerplated to stop bogie sellers saying something is legal (like now) when its not.

A question for anyone that owns one of these scooters.. What wording is on the tyres?
    Could someone post everything that is on the tyre? Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

prinzeugen wrote: »
    What I ment was that only scooters that meet a EU or Irish standard would be allowed on the road. Ie one is fitted with EU approved, factory fitted headlights, brakes etc.

A €2 set of lights from Aldi wont do.

Also the helmets would potentially need to meet EC22.07 regs like motorbike helmets.
    Any future law will need to be boilerplated to stop bogie sellers saying something is legal (like now) when its not.

Mandatory helmets? Let's not get into the helmet hysteria again.

grogi wrote: »
    Mandatory helmets? Let's not get into the helmet hysteria again.

If e-scooters are classed as MPVs you need a helmet that meets ECER22-05 regulations, ie a motorbike helmet. Its the current law.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

prinzeugen wrote: »
    What I ment was that only scooters that meet a

Minor correction. It's ECE 22-05 not -07

KildareMan wrote: »
    Minor correction. It's ECE 22-05 not -07

You are correct! I dont know how it went from 05 to 07 in my head in the few seconds it took from looking at my helmet to posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I was unaware there was a tax bracket that these scooters are covered under. Electric motorcycle/scooters are €35 a year to tax.
    Of course it would have to be registered and adhere to EU regulations.
    Are EU regulations taken into considering by the manufacturer? Has anyone managed to get one registered yet?

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32013R0168

It may require installing seat/saddle and having the correct lights amongst other things but at least it's possible.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I was unaware there was a tax bracket that these scooters are covered under. Electric motorcycle/scooters are €35 a year to tax.
    Of course it would have to be registered and adhere to EU regulations.
    Are EU regulations taken into considering by the manufacturer? Has anyone managed to get one registered yet?

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32013R0168

It may require installing seat/saddle and having the correct lights amongst other things but at least it's possible.

EU law in not the issue. Its domestic law.
    In the UK, you can register motocross bikes without lights (daytime MOT) and quad bikes for road use.

Both illegal here. It would be almost impossible to get a certificate of conformity for them. Even if you could that would be for one specific model, not all e-scooters. The manufacturer has to apply to get the certificate of conformity btw.

Its complicated but look on ebay for one that is already road registered. Then buy the same model and make it road legal for Ireland. You will still need a license, tax etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I wonder does greatly increased regulation increase the changes that some companies will decide to offer insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Saw two of these scooters impounded this morning on Wilton terrace.Fair play to the gardai.These things are an absolute death-trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

magentis wrote: »
    Saw two of these scooters impounded this morning on Wilton terrace.Fair play to the gardai.These things are an absolute death-trap.

Why?
    (not why we're they impounded, why are they a death trap?)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Going through a junction today (I had a green light) and a cyclist went straight across in front of me. I had to emergency break. I stopped safely. No danger to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

No they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

antodeco wrote: »
    Going through a junction today (I had a green light) and a cyclist went straight across in front of me. I had to emergency break. I stopped safely. No danger to me.

The amount of cyclists that I see every day cruising through red lights, usually not wearing a helmet, is crazy. Cyclists will often go onto the path if the road is blocked.

I’ve never once seen someone on a scooter acting irresponsible.

They don’t go as fast as a bike, are easier to dismount and take up less space. A perfect solution for commuting IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Sono

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I mentioned it before, there are idiots using all modes of transport. A safe escooterist is safer than a dangerous cyclist, and vice versa. Every day I nearly get hit by a cyclist going through lights, swerving off the road into my path etc. I've had 1 escooter do it. Percentages of both mean they're probably the same amount.

• Advertisement

RSA looking at escooter regulations across the Europe. Oh my oh my, that won't end up well. Instead of looking at what's there and then thinking outside of the box and trying to improve it, I bet they'll make a bad copy of some likely already deficient regulation from England. Because they won't bother translating German, Dutch, French etc laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

quarryman wrote: »
    The amount of cyclists that I see every day cruising through red lights, usually not wearing a helmet, is crazy.

Why do you think it’s crazy to not wear a helmet ? Look up the studies and you’ll see valid reasons for not wearing one

Drivers would be better served wearing helmets and neck braces. Do our call them
    Crazy if they don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Motorbikes are much much more dangerous. Many bike riders die every day. And they are not banned. So why would you ban something what's much slower and safer? Doesn't make any sense, does it?

Martynet wrote:
    Motorbikes are much much more dangerous. Many bike riders die every day. And they are not banned. So why would you ban something what's much slower and safer? Doesn't make any sense, does it?
    Small difference sure. Hence Motorbikes require:
    Driving licence
    Insurance
    Mandated gear

The licence is significant. You injure or kill a weaker road user, you lose it.

ted1 wrote:
    Why do you think it’s crazy to not wear a helmet ? Look up the studies and you’ll see valid reasons for not wearing one
    Not this bullshít thing again. No more.

It's like telling bricklayers not to wear a helmet. Yeah you'll die instantly if a brick falls on your head, that's the benefit. You won't suffer!

This is antiscientific nonsense and it's totally against common sense and medical evidence.

And don't tell me that so many governments are so stupid that they've mandated wearing helmets just out of impression that helmets may work but in reality they don't.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2598379/

Martynet wrote: »

Pure rubbish.
    Many bike riders, on a global scale die every day for sure. As do cyclists, car drivers, lorry drivers, bus passengers etc etc etc.

Pure rubbish.
    Many bike riders, on a global scale die every day for sure. As do cyclists, car drivers, lorry drivers, bus passengers etc etc etc.

Exactly! And are those banned? No. So why ban another, new mode of transport.

McGiver wrote: »
    Small difference sure. Hence Motorbikes require:
    Driving licence
    Insurance
    Mandated gear

The licence is significant. You injure or kill a weaker road user, you lose it.

Most of the scooter riders wear helmet and hivis. And let me tell you, most of them wouldn't mind paying insurance. But it's impossible at the moment, because irish insurance companies are stuck in the past. Same as irish law.

Martynet wrote: »
    Most of the scooter riders wear helmet and hivis. And let me tell you, most of them wouldn't mind paying insurance. But it's impossible at the moment, because irish insurance companies are stuck in the past. Same as irish law.
    You can't insure something that is currently illegal.

• Advertisement

You can't insure something that is currently illegal.

It's illegal because you can't get insurance! Gards said it too. They care more about insurance than registration. Which is also impossible. Because you need a new category for NEW types of personal transport, which is far from "moped" category.

Advertisement