Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I know we probably don't know all the facts, maybe the swing broke? If not, then this is pretty incredible and not a good reflection on the government!!

The swing didn't break Bailey fell off as her hands were full and not holding on according to the hotel. She claims she should have been supervised. If the case has got this far PIAB either refused a payment / it was not enough for Bailey or the hotels insurance company is going to fight Bailey. Insurance companies normally only do this if they know they'll win. Either ways terrible PR for Bailey and by extension FG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The swing didn't break Bailey fell off as her hands were full and not holding on according to the hotel. She claims she should have been supervised. If the case has got this far PIAB either refused a payment / it was not enough for Bailey or the hotels insurance company is going to fight Bailey. Insurance companies normally only do this if they know they'll win. Either ways terrible PR for Bailey and by extension FG

Don't know about anyone else in this thread, but I for one have sat in that swing dozens, if not hundreds of times since nights out in Sophies became a thing, I don't think I've ever actually held on to the ropes and I've never done myself even the slightest injury. A massive number of my social circle regularly go to the same place, and my Instagram is regularly filled with photos of people on those swings, generally not holding on to the ropes either.

She must be either incredibly clumsy, or she must have been completely and totally piddley-eyed to fall off. Either way, 100% not the hotel's fault.

I can easily see nights out in Sophie's ruined by this if she wins. We'll end up with some bouncer standing next to the swings and shouting at anyone not sitting on them properly, a la Father Ted's "keep your hands on the sides!!!" funland ladder sketch :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I know we probably don't know all the facts, maybe the swing broke? If not, then this is pretty incredible and not a good reflection on the government!!

And so what if it did? You just get up and get on with it. I'm not usually a reactionary voter or anti government for no reason but this is disgraceful and if any Fine Gael candidate canvasses me I'll ask them straight out what their opinion is on swing-gate.

I just read up on her father and he appears to have a litany of controversies throughout his political life. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree but if it did, Ms. Bailey would probably sue the tree....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Supcycle

Laughable

McCrack wrote: »
    I know popular opinion is against claims yet I know most people would be straight down to a solicitor if they suffered an injury arising from negligence

In this case the swing should not be in a pub, swings are normally in playgrounds

Putting a swing in a pub invites drunk people onto it and drunk people can fall injuring themselves. Pubs selling alcohol have a duty of care and providing a swing on their premises in my view breaches that

The bolded bit is the part I and I'm sure many others would disagree with. If you can't handle your drink it should be your responsibility to choose to refrain from certain behaviours, nobody else's. The pub should have a duty to do absolutely nothing except call an ambulance if someone has an accident thanks to their own f*ckwittery.

Do shops selling cigarettes or fattening foods have a duty of care? Should you be able to sue the newsagents if you get cancer after buying a packet of 20 every day for the last five years? Feck off with that sh!te, in my view.

• Advertisement

Don't know about anyone else in this thread, but I for one have sat in that swing dozens, if not hundreds of times since nights out in Sophies became a thing, I don't think I've ever actually held on to the ropes and I've never done myself even the slightest injury. A massive number of my social circle regularly go to the same place, and my Instagram is regularly filled with photos of people on those swings, generally not holding on to the ropes either.

Every child ever that has sat on a swing was told to hold on. Any adult that would sit on a swing would know to hold on and most if they fell off would laugh it off as their own stupidity and feel slightly embarrassed, however our betters such as M Bailey believes she should be compensated for her own stupidity. She and a**holes like her are why festivals/businesses etc are closing being cancelled due to insurance costs.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Many people have already said that the swing didn’t break. Even if it did, most people would have the decency to chalk it down as an accident and not take someone to court over it. I feel genuinely sorry for the owners/managers of the hotel that they have to deal with this court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Does anything actually surprise any of you anymore seriously like....

We have laws which aren't followed or implemented unless you work and they can hit your pocket, murderers walking free.

Example guy kills 2 men with a screw driver, he is out on day release to see family and how is this even allowed....
    These absolute monster is a dangerous extremely dangerous individual....

We have the young girl murdered and tortured by 2 young 13 year olds and they will never see real time or have to answer for their sick crimes then we have bailey and the compo culture which you could well mistake with those in the ethnic minorities and their insurance scams ....

I actually dont trust the green party or believe they should even still exist but Eamon Ryan was on the radio today actually shouting down this madness stating basically we are fooked if this is awarded... Suppose similar to the award to the girl whom thought it was perfectly fine to hold onto the side door of a team and then awarded a cool half a million.... Brain damage etc but still well able to have a kid....

This fookin country and its legal system is a farce.....

Again another complete scammer..,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This bint will cost the FG party many thousands of votes. Couldn't have come at a better time for them. Hope she loses her shirt (shes already lost a seat )

Mairim Lord has an opinion piece in the Times about this, some of the comments are hilarious. It's getting legs, I'd say party HQ is fuming with Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

McCrack wrote: »
    I know popular opinion is against claims yet I know most people would be straight down to a solicitor if they suffered an injury arising from negligence

In this case the swing should not be in a pub, swings are normally in playgrounds

Putting a swing in a pub invites drunk people onto it and drunk people can fall injuring themselves. Pubs selling alcohol have a duty of care and providing a swing on their premises in my view breaches that

The claim is completely ridiculous in my opinion but I would agree with you that a swing has no place in a pub/restaurant. It appears to be another one of those stupid hipstery gimmicks that places use to attract customers not because they are serving good food and well run but because they use have a load of stupid gimmicks to make them trendy such as serving cocktails in jam jars, food on slates rather than plates and chips in metal baskets that make them go soggy.

Any pub/restaurant that provides adult swings is only asking for trouble if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I must say the journal/boards have done a serious hatchet job on FG in the last 24 hours.

4 headlines about FG candidates on the journal.

Nothing on any other party!!

Leaving aside this idiotic woman it does make you wonder.

it does make you wonder.

Nope not really. They're the government.

Nope not really. They're the government.

Who is?

FG?

Wrong.

I must say the journal/boards have done a serious hatchet job on FG in the last 24 hours.

Have you considered the possibility that FG are and have been utterly gaffe-prone since coming to power in 2011, primarily because (a) they don’t know anything about good PR, and (b) they’re so out of touch that they don’t give a bollocks if they come across like a bunch of entitled bollockses?

Have you considered the possibility that FG are and have been utterly gaffe-prone since coming to power in 2011, primarily because (a) they don’t know anything about good PR, and (b) they’re so out of touch that they don’t give a bollocks if they come across like a bunch of entitled bollockses?

I just think it’s funny the usual brigade think there is some media conspiracy in favour of FG when it’s clear that is not the case as seen by the last 24 hours.

Bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The claim is completely ridiculous in my opinion but I would agree with you that a swing has no place in a pub/restaurant. It appears to be another one of those stupid hipstery gimmicks that places use to attract customers not because they are serving good food and well run but because they use have a load of stupid gimmicks to make them trendy such as serving cocktails in jam jars, food on slates rather than plates and chips in metal baskets that make them go soggy.

Any pub/restaurant that provides adult swings is only asking for trouble if you ask me.

Hipstery gimmicks.... Trying to look trendy.... Superficial sh1te with no real substance... Gimmicky rather than being well ran and delivering a good service..... One wonders what would attract Leo and the Blueshirts to this hotel in the first place!

Who is?

What
    FG?
    Yeah that's how you spell FG
    Wrong.

So FG are the government.
    As an aside any of the 'hatchet' jobs untrue?

What

Yeah that's how you spell FG

So FG are the government.
    As an aside any of the 'hatchet' jobs untrue?

Well there is others who aren’t in FG that are in government.

Are you been serious here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭emo72

people are saying bad things. because shes done a bad thing. cant make it any more basic than that for you. sorry if it reflects bad on the party. maybe the party should think about the quality of people it has. they're not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hipstery gimmicks.... Trying to look trendy.... Superficial sh1te with no real substance... Gimmicky rather than being well ran and delivering a good service..... One wonders what would attract Leo and the Blueshirts to this hotel in the first place!

Nail on the head

Are you been serious here?

Yes is any of the stuff untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have to disagree with you on the hatchet job, they have done it themselves and this clown falling off a swing has sharpened the hatchet big time. No blue shirt vote here this time in this house. How stupid does bailey think people are with this claim.

emo72 wrote: »
    people are saying bad things. because shes done a bad thing. cant make it any more basic than that for you. sorry if it reflects bad on the party. maybe the party should think about the quality of people it has. they're not good.

I’m not disagreeing.

There is a story this week about a boy who was sexually abused by a terrorist which was affiliated with a certain party.

Found guilty.

The man has said how the party consistently lied and told him to F off when he made complaints.

It’s all there with a simple google.

Now one has to wonder why this isn’t on the journal or on boards?

I suppose this girls crime is worst than child abuse.

As I said there is certainly some bias going on
    with the journal/boards this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Now one has to wonder why this isn’t on the journal or on boards?

You cannot be a poster on Boards and complain when something isn't posted on Boards. You are more than free to make a thread.

Your post is nothing more than whataboutery and it's pretty obvious what you're trying to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I just think it’s funny the usual brigade think there is some media conspiracy in favour of FG when it’s clear that is not the case as seen by the last 24 hours.

Bit of perspective.

I think its very funny when the same poster defends FG to the death across many threads anytime they are rightly or wrongly critisized.

Obvious as daylight. Deflection tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,193 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Your post is nothing more than whataboutery and it's pretty obvious what you're trying to do.

Isn't that all he ever does tbh?

You cannot be a poster on Boards and complain when something isn't posted on Boards. You are more than free to make a thread.

I have called this woman an idiot and disgrace.

I just think there is a hatchet job the last 24 hours.

I’m even surprised this thread is still open seems there is some amount of accusations etc going on when everyone knows boards closes any discussion about legal affairs.

Anyway good night all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

pjohnson wrote:
    Isn't that all he ever does tbh?

Being truthful, I don't recognise the poster so I have no idea!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement