Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should i read the books?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Read the books and dont bother with the tv show.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

nix wrote: »
    If you have re-watched GoT from season 1 recently, id hold off reading them for a year or two. Reason being, i havent actually read the books myself, back when i first watched the show, i binged like the first two seasons, and then slowly watched season 3 when it was released weekly. As you can imagine, when season 3 ended it was at its best and i was loving the story and i wanted more but didnt want to wait another year for an episode a week.

So i got a lend of the first book off a mate and from the get go, the book is so similar to the show, its like you're reading the script. So i kind of lost interest, and stopped. But if you can get passed the first book or two (not actually sure when the show diverts a lot from what story the show is telling) I'm sure it will be a great read.

I wanted to skip some books but my mate said you kinda need to read it from the start as while the story is similar in the early books, it does describe the look of characters differently and introduces more characters also..

I'm also not gonna bother with them until GRR finishes them as how annoying would it be to read a load of the books and it becomes a case that he never finishes them :(

Book 1 is pretty much an exact match to season 1. Book 2 is close.

From book 3 onwards the TV show diverges. They basically cut some characters, merge some characters, give some characters storylines to other characters instead etc.

I don't think the books themselves, especially the later ones, would transfer well to TV, unless they planned on having about 15 seasons.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Books are great. I think the complaints about the quality dropping is that after the 3rd and all the action it slows down a bit. This took me out of it too and I needed to take a little break. On 2nd read Feast may be my favourite. Great world building. So much he doesn't know where to go with it now :p

I think it's more the poor editing, overly elaborate story arcs and introduction of new characters that make the later books so difficult to get through. It just all points to GRRM getting bored of writing about the same characters, so he just introduces some new ones instead.

The last few books really should have been decimated by a decent editor, with half the stuff left out.

Every time I turned the page and saw it was an Iron Islands chapter I had to force myself to read on. They were complete garbage.

With the state of everything in the books right now it is hard to see how he writes his way to an ending in the 2 books that he has "planned". I think this is part of the problem, he has written himself into a corner and doesn't know how to get out of it. Too much detail, too many characters, very hard to bring it together into some sort of sane ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

If you're not a big reader I wouldn't bother with the books. The first one is exactly like the first season of the tv show. The second one is similar and the third is where they start to diverge. The last two looks are terrible. Long, drawn out waffle that goes nowhere. There is no way he'll be finishing the series so it's pointless investing in the books at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

awec wrote: »

I think it's more the poor editing, overly elaborate story arcs and introduction of new characters that make the later books so difficult to get through. It just all points to GRRM getting bored of writing about the same characters, so he just introduces some new ones instead.

The last few books really should have been decimated by a decent editor, with half the stuff left out.

Every time I turned the page and saw it was an Iron Islands chapter I had to force myself to read on. They were complete garbage.

100% agree with this. It's like the publisher is afraid to edit him.
    Every time I've considered a re-read (many), I've baulked at having to read the Iron Isles stuff again and Dorne - I'm just not interested. Dorne comes in too late for me to care.

I did see somewhere on the main wiki about how to read the books in a different way chapter by chapter more chronologically. Would take a lot of effort though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

awec wrote: »
    Book 1 is pretty much an exact match to season 1. Book 2 is close.

From book 3 onwards the TV show diverges. They basically cut some characters, merge some characters, give some characters storylines to other characters instead etc.

I don't think the books themselves, especially the later ones, would transfer well to TV, unless they planned on having about 15 seasons.

Every time I turned the page and saw it was an Iron Islands chapter I had to force myself to read on. They were complete garbage....

Oh the f*cking Iron Islands.... I've said it before: HOW do you make a viking race boring?

By giving them an unrealistic religion.
    Make every single one of your new characters unlikeable or forgettable.
    Have a character who's plan is so telegraphed as going to fail that you immediately lose interest
    Euron's plan to go to Dany, kidnap/kill her and take her dragons. Yeah, OK.
    Have your stupidly bloodthirsty vikings/berserkers ...... have an election. Yep

Between Dorne and The Iron Islands I don't know which is worse.

The problem is also that the series has passed the books. Storylines that seemed to be total gamechangers - I mean that would have MASSIVE impact on the last books are simply ignored in the series. I'm not talking about minor characters being merged/dropped. I'm talking about potentially changing who was eventually going to sit on the throne.
    John Connington/whatshisname

Now you know they are not going to have a big impact because it would be too much to cut. Unlike, say,
    Lady Stoneheart

I enjoyed the books initially. They are not the best written, are seriously bloated but at least there was a lot of pages :) But yeah, as others have said, there are better series out there either completed, almost completed or being written by more reliable authors. If you haven't started, don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

But yeah, as others have said, there are better series out there either completed, almost completed or being written by more reliable authors. If you haven't started, don't.
    To be fair to Martin he did apologise to fans after missing, an already extended deadline, for finishing Winds of Winter.

That extended deadline was December 2015.

ogsjw wrote: »
    The first book is great, Ned is great.

neds-dead-baby-neds-dead.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I listened to a couple of them as audiobooks while walking in hills and forests, which I think added to the immersion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I listened to a couple of them as audiobooks while walking in hills and forests, which I think added to the immersion.

I much preferred the audiobooks.

I find you can get weighed down when reading, some conversations can get confusing and especially at the start it's difficult to keep track of all the characters (Little finger, Lord Baelish, Peter being all the same character for instance. Eddard, Ned, Lord Stark)

The audiobooks have some great narrators. Plus you can mix Feast and Dragons the way it should be read too.
    http://afeastwithdragons.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Started reading the books about 10 years ago -

Loved Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords. Honestly, think they the best fantasy books i've read.

Twice, started Feast for Crows and just could get into it - the introduction of the Iron Islands and Dorne plots were too much for me.

I finally got around to finishing Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons this year, and I now think they are right up there. Slower in pace, but still hugely rewarding.

Theon's chapters, in particular, are extraordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,509 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't want put time and effort into reading them if there not finished,
    So I will hold off until they are if they ever are ,

Annnnnnnd I'm out:

IGN article on a 60 mins interview
    ......... The show will be very close, though, thanks to “several days of story conferences” that took place at Martin’s house in Santa Fe, New Mexico. “I don't think Dan and Dave's ending is gonna be that different from my ending because of the conversations we did have,” he said.

“But they may be on certain secondary characters, there may be big differences,” he explained, saying that “there's no way to get in all the detail, all the minor characters, all the secondary characters."........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm pretty sure GRRM said from the beginning that he gave the ending to the show runners and how it ended in the show is how it's supposed to end in the books. The only difference was in how they got there. Given the early success of the show, I don't think GRRM could've predicted how much of a sh!t show it would turn into and I guess he's sorry for being involved in this mess.

Well too bad. A lot of this is his fault. If he thinks he can do better, he has two books to make it right. I don't think we'll ever see those books because while the show runners had to come up with something, GRRM has had nearly ten years and produced jack sh!t. If he wanted to save his story he could've released a book. But he hasn't. Until he does he is in no position to criticise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Honestly, the books are a complete waste of time. There's no chance of Martin ever finishing them. Besides, nobody should ever have to read A Feast For Crows.

The Malazan series to name just one is much better. And finished as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement