Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i read the books?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭

Basically id love to get deeper into the stories of the books but im not the biggest book reader personally. Ive read them in the past its just not usually my go to form of entertainment. My gf loves them i think she actually has the first book somewhere in the house.

Would anyone who has read them think it would be a good choice for me to take them on?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You could always get the audio books if you aren't that into reading.

They're definitely worth reading anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You could always get the audio books if you aren't that into reading.

They're definitely worth reading anyway.

Never actually taught of that! Does it take away from the experience in anyway though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

With a good narrator, an audio can be better.

These books are very long though and there's a lot of unnecessary stuff in the later ones, and the quality really drops off.

Why not try the first one and see how you feel?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I actually thought the books are on par with the show. Both really enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I asked the same question 2 years ago

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057702129/1

Im not sure how i feel, whether i'm glad i did, knowing now how much is left "unfinished" in them. I blow hot and cold on it.
    I suppose im glad i did now ive them read.
    They do give a lot of background stuff, and theres a lot more going om in them, but some of it a dose to get through.
    Theyre fairly different from the tv series

If you've plenty of time, go for it.
    If not, i dont think you'll have missed too much.

• Advertisement

I've taught about reading them before but because there so big and I don't read a lot I reckon I'd get draw out of the whole thing.

I guess the audio books could be a good solution around this then?

Got Audible downloading the first book now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I really enjoyed the books so I'd recommend them.

They can be long but you could just take your time with them. It's gonna be a while before the next one comes out anyway.

Definitely not. 100% no. Don't.

Your time could be better spend on other books that are either concluded, or will be barring a freak event. The ASOIAF books start great and then meander into nonsense, and he isn't even going to finish them.

Do you want to be sitting here a year from now pissed off that GRRM won't write? Or do you want to read great literature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I found the books painfully dull the longer they went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I loved A Game of Thrones when I first read it, however I started to really really struggle with the following books.

I recently started listening to the audio-books during work and the drive home, sometimes even before I go to bed and it's far better to listen to than to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Kilboor wrote: »
    I actually thought the books are on par with the show. Both really enjoyable

The books were on par with the a show? should that not be the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You should read the books but maybe leave it a while if you’ve seen the first couple of series at all recently, they are very similar early on I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    The books were on par with the a show? should that not be the other way around?

That's true, my point I guess was I watched the show first and enjoyed the books as much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

As I said to the last person who asked this question here, I honestly couldn't recommend starting the books to anyone at this stage, quite simply because I don't think the series will ever be finished. Why would you do that to yourself?

*glances mournfully at bookshelf which has been unaugmented since 2011*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Definitely not. 100% no. Don't.

Your time could be better spend on other books that are either concluded, or will be barring a freak event. The ASOIAF books start great and then meander into nonsense, and he isn't even going to finish them.

Do you want to be sitting here a year from now pissed off that GRRM won't write? Or do you want to read great literature?

What an utter rubbish response. What's great literature to you is probably complete nonsense to the op. Get over yourself ffs.

Double post

Lol dunno what to do now!

Read the 1st book. If you enjoy that continue with the rest. They are very good in my opinion. Yes, the later books do drag on a bit but they have their moments.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The books start out excellent, but the quality does go downhill as you progress. They do become quite tedious to get through. Overall they're not boring, but they do contain some very boring parts that will take a lot of effort to get through and you'll be sad every time you get to a chapter involving that character or characters.

If you're not a big book reader I think you'd struggle to get through them. They are definitely not light reading, they are more sit down and read for a few hours with your brain fully engaged material.

I'd second whoever suggested the Audiobook version.

Also the first book is pretty much an exact match to the first series of the show, so if you've watched the first season recently the book will have no real surprises.

The first book is the easiest one to read.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Yes, because while I feel the series is more enjoyable than the books, the ending is almost guaranteed to be better written in the books.

By whoever writes it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If you have re-watched GoT from season 1 recently, id hold off reading them for a year or two. Reason being, i havent actually read the books myself, back when i first watched the show, i binged like the first two seasons, and then slowly watched season 3 when it was released weekly. As you can imagine, when season 3 ended it was at its best and i was loving the story and i wanted more but didnt want to wait another year for an episode a week.

So i got a lend of the first book off a mate and from the get go, the book is so similar to the show, its like you're reading the script. So i kind of lost interest, and stopped. But if you can get passed the first book or two (not actually sure when the show diverts a lot from what story the show is telling) I'm sure it will be a great read.

I wanted to skip some books but my mate said you kinda need to read it from the start as while the story is similar in the early books, it does describe the look of characters differently and introduces more characters also..

I'm also not gonna bother with them until GRR finishes them as how annoying would it be to read a load of the books and it becomes a case that he never finishes them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

A lot of you may find it dull because you sped through it to find out what’s happening. Also they’re build up books compared to storm which ended with a bunch of action

On second read Feast was great. One POV in particular is hilariously nuts

Admit the concern further books not happening is real

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

nix wrote: »
    So i got a lend of the first book off a mate and from the get go, the book is so similar to the show, its like you're reading the script. So i kind of lost interest, and stopped. But if you can get passed the first book or two (not actually sure when the show diverts a lot from what story the show is telling) I'm sure it will be a great read.

I tried reading the first book and I don't know why, but I couldn't get into it. The second book was very good though and both storm of swords I found gripping from start to finish.

I couldn't bring myself to read Feast for Crows as it looked like a chore so I skipped right to Dance of Dragons (and I'm gonna admit it - just read the chapters of the characters I was interested in).

I've also found Stannis' single chapter from Winds of Winter to be excellent. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Why not read the couple of short stories he wrote set in the same world first.
    As others have said the books probably won't finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I read them and found them very tough to read as the series progressed.

Can anybody recommend any other fantasy series that would appeal to GoT fans?

I have the first book physically and on audio here so when I get a chance I'll check both out and see!

Thanks for all the replys!

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

The first book is great, Ned is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Books are great. I think the complaints about the quality dropping is that after the 3rd and all the action it slows down a bit. This took me out of it too and I needed to take a little break. On 2nd read Feast may be my favourite. Great world building. So much he doesn't know where to go with it now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I’ve been lurking on this forum lately but felt compelled to reply to this to give my own view, or experience I suppose. I started the books having seen episode 1 of season 1. Well I ripped through each and every one that had been published by then. I loved the characters, I almost cried (did cry) at..you know.. that ceremony. Nothing will best reading those plots and side plots for the first time. I really liked every single book. The TV series, whilst I have watched every episode, has not replicated that feeling for me after season 1.

All of the above said, like others have called out, all of that investment is feeling like it’s probably in vain because the author can’t or won’t progress the books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I read them and found them very tough to read as the series progressed.

Can anybody recommend any other fantasy series that would appeal to GoT fans?

You should check out the "what are you reading" list here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93

My 2 cents

In terms of the huge cast of characters and the politics I am not sure whats a good recommendation- Malazen book of the fallen is often mentioned but I have struggled with it myself.
    Keep in mind though before you judge other authors for not generally attempting the GoT, RR Martin appears to have given up/having major trouble tying it all together so its not fair to say he's written an epic when other authors at least attempt to finish their series.

In terms of a different take/subverting the genre and you like dragon-****. I would say Lucius Sheppard
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1830230.The_Scalehunter_s_Beautiful_Daughter

And Michael Swanwick are both much more skilled writers than Martin
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25781.The_Iron_Dragon_s_Daughter?ac=1&from_search=true

In terms of a bit Grim-dark stuff.
    Black Company
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/140671.The_Black_Company?ac=1&from_search=true

Princes of Thorns
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9579634-prince-of-thorns?ac=1&from_search=true

IMO are both well worth a look.

Finally if you enjoyed the more heroic stuff and action definitely look at David Gemmel's Legend

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/618177.Legend?ac=1&from_search=true

Advertisement