Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When casting made a balls of it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ted1 wrote: »
    Brilliant in the Usual Suspects and good in Gone in 60 seconds

You sure as do not remember him in the Usual Suspect

I've read previously that it was either Kevin Spacey for K-PAX or George Clooney for Batman and Robin....although it may have been Tom Hanks for Larry Crowne either...

George Clooney Batman and Robin I was thinking about. I had George Clooney in my head

Samuel L Jackson in pretty much everything apart from pulp fiction and django unchained. He just plays himself all the time. Cant stand him in most things

Scrub you mouth out with soap and water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Most of the casting in soap operas is pretty ridiculous,of the top of my head Lucy Fallon? in corrie,22/23 in real life playing a 15/16 year old but never looked the part. The new Ben in EE is badly cast(imo),Gabby in Emmerdale,born and bred in yorkshire but sounds very posh,Kerry and her daughter,only 8-10 years between them in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Jaden Smith as The Karate Kid.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Nobelium wrote: »
    Not if you know anything about acting . . . he's really not

Elaborate, explain with examples why he is such a poor actor? Pick a scene of his that proves he is a poor actor

ziedth wrote: »
    Outrageous statement to be honest. Apart from GOT where he went for it a little too much I would say he is a pretty decent actor and can be very good on occasion.

I can't remember the name of the actors or characters off hand but the TV show revolution where the power stops world wide etc but they completely miscast the whole show. Only one who came out of it alright was the guy who played gus in breaking bad.

Revolution
    Pile of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

When they recast Tracey Barlow in Corrie with Kate Ford. She just has the same sneery face in every scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Kevin Costner in Robinhood: Prince of Thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

Nobelium wrote: »
    Not if you know anything about acting . . . he's really not

He is though. Very good in Peaky Blinders, also The Wind that Shakes the Barley and 28 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jaden Smith as The Karate Kid.:confused:
    If you haven't seen After Earth, don't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gregory Peck as Ahab in Moby Dick

Patrick Stewart as Ahab in Moby Dick

Danny Glover as Ahab in the Moby Dick cover Age of the Dragons. A truly awful film.

The best Ahab is of course Ricardo Montalbán in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's actually a bunch of actors that seem to rotate around tv shows and I groan every time I see them.
    Not really a miscast, more of a lazy casting kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

They have made a hames of the Jafar casting in the Aladdin live action remake. He could play the role well but he does not look anywhere near sinister enough. That was the whole point of Jafar.

Wil Wheton in TNG

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

coredev123 wrote: »
    He was absolutely fantastic when he played Charles Haughey in the RTE drama. He nailed it.

He was also brilliant as John-Boy in Love/Hate.

No No No

He plays the same character everytime I see him

CJH, Game of Thrones, Dave Allen and some new thing that I see previews for.

same school of acting as Lena Headey

No No No

He plays the same character everytime I see him

CJH, Game of Thrones, Dave Allen and some new thing that I see previews for.

same school of acting as Lena Headey

You leave Carcetti alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ Simpson - wtf?! Talk about "any black guy will do..."

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Robert Sheehan as Darren in love/hate.

Couldn't really take him seriously as the that type of character.

Aiden Gillen was unbelievable too

640px-Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg

• Advertisement

Elijah Wood as a football hooligan in Green Street. I actually haven't even seen but it just seems so wrong for Frodo to be a hooligan.

MV5BMjExNTg3NzYwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcxMTEzMQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,677,1000_AL_.jpg

^^
    I think he was meant to be an unlikely hooligan - a nerdy american who arrives in England and gets mixed up in that scene. It felt a bit strangely cast nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

quickbeam wrote: »
    Linda Hunt, a woman, playing Billy Kwan a man, in The Year of Living Dangerously

You mean the role she won an Oscar for? Surely you jest?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Elijah Wood as a football hooligan in Green Street. I actually haven't even seen but it just seems so wrong for Frodo to be a hooligan.

MV5BMjExNTg3NzYwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcxMTEzMQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,677,1000_AL_.jpg

To be fair the character is an american tourist who isn't a hooligan but having said that he's dreadful in it, like really really bad. Fight scenes are pretty well shot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

It's gotta be Jimmy Rabbitte's younger son in The Commitments... Can I borrow your hairdryer ? That accent is definitely not Barrytown.

https://youtu.be/92nBF9qLr1w ( minute 1. 43)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jared Leto as the joker can fu*k off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

DS Steve Arnott in Line of Duty. Surprised to see three pages go before this...

Hal3000 wrote: »
    It's gotta be Jimmy Rabbitte's younger son in The Commitments... Can I borrow your hairdryer ? That accent is definitely not Barrytown.

https://youtu.be/92nBF9qLr1w ( minute 1. 43)

nor is Andrea Corr's very convincing!

still a great film though :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Zaph wrote: »
    You mean the role she won an Oscar for? Surely you jest?

No jest. I don’t doubt her talent as an actor but casting a woman to play a man makes no sense unless it was in a trans context. Like, why not have Jack Nicholson play the lead in The Iron Lady. He’s an excellent actor, I’m sure he’d pull it off.

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    No jest. I don’t doubt her talent as an actor but casting a woman to play a man makes no sense unless it was in a trans context. Like, why not have Jack Nicholson play the lead in The Iron Lady. He’s an excellent actor, I’m sure he’d pull it off.

Then you get the usual offended brigade giving out that a non-trans person portrayed a trans person, as happened with Boys Don't Cry.

I haven't seen that film yous are talking about but gender cross acting was normal once upon a time mainly due to women not being allowed to perform. It's also common in animated stuff. Cate Blanchett played Bob Dylan too in the film I'm Not There (havent seen it either)

So at what point does it become unacceptable for an actor to portray a character? Surely it must depend on what the film itself is trying to achieve.

Edit: actually I know where I draw the line - when Tom Cruise plays an Irish man in Far and Away! now THAT's Offensive :D

Advertisement