Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Zen0 wrote:
    The seller seems remarkably uninformed on the matter of bike sizing.

The fact that he couldn't tell him it was a medium even though it shows it in the pictures is a but of an alarm bell alright.
    I'd say he's 100% legit, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Zen0 wrote:

The fact that he couldn't tell him it was a medium even though it shows it in the pictures is a but of an alarm bell alright.
    I'd say he's 100% legit, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

KOR101 wrote: »
    2 kryptonite locks and still stolen. They were determined thieves.

Keep us posted.

No developments to report anyway. I phoned Santry Garda Station over 10 times now but the garda to whom I reported the theft never seems to be available to take my call. I left messages also but she hasn't bothered to get back to me.
    I've no expectation for getting the bike back. I just want to know what the CCTV showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Zen0 wrote: »

That was my immediate thinking reading the ad.

Seems to know very little about it - more than a bit of a red flag

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

blackwhite wrote: »
    That was my immediate thinking reading the ad.

Seems to know very little about it - more than a bit of a red flag

Yeah! I've PM'd oscar anyway. Hope he sees it soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Had my 2015 Giant Defy 5 stolen the other day in Sandyford. 60 euro abus lock cut in two places with a power tool (Cuts looked very clean)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I need to show my wife this thread. She went for a short spin this morning and when she came in there was no sign of the bike. I asked where it was, she said she left it in front of the house. Cue an argument with her point being sure she's going back out on it at lunch so there's no need to bring it in. FFS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

All - i've edited the posts which identify the bike which was stolen and the one which is for sale which bears some resemblance.
    As the original poster has been contacted, it's best not to leave the posts up - if it's a legit sale, it's not fair on the seller, and on the other hand, if it is potentially the bike in question, we don't want to alert the seller to the fact that the bike may have been spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tomas81

So my son is a a young guy who cycles where ever he is going he loves it. Last week while at home he left his Kings cross Whyte bike which be paid a substantial sum of money for unlocked in the shed.

It was stolen from the shed, and has vanished as they do. Anyone ever find bikes after theft or is there anyway of trying to locate it, he is heartbroken as he saved 875 euro for it and it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

lousy :(

keep an eye on the selling sites like donedeal i guess?

lousy :(

keep an eye on the selling sites like donedeal i guess?

Yeah have been watching them for him. It's hard to accept when it was taken from your own home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Home insurance cover it?

Unfortunately it’s highly unlikely you’ll see it again. Been there before myself too. Scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just seen this thread.

My son's Kings cross Whyte bike was stolen from the house a few days back. If any you guys see one for sale please post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

Hauk wrote: »
    Yeah! I've PM'd oscar anyway. Hope he sees it soon!

Thanks a mil all of you for your help.

My bike had the left STI shifter replaced with a different one and this one in the photo looks like it has both the same. I also had MTB clip-in pedals and the handlebar tape was of the brand Fizik. Attaching a picture of the tape I had on.

Capture.png

The tyres were Continental Grand Prix 4000S II If I recall correctly.

I madly want it to be true, but I am not confident it is my bike. The profile also only has 1 more bike ad among over 60 past ads.

Oscar D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't pay much heed to the pedals and bar tape, they're easy to change, but sourcing a matching shifter is a bit more difficult/hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Paint your rear hub neon yellow or orange, will make it very easy to spot the bike online or on the street if it does get nicked.
    Thats how i found my bike 2 years later driving through ballyfermot lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Great if people want to tell us they got their bike back, but if any poster wants to start boasting about how they will beat the snot out of anyone they can take a break from posting.

On topic, a neighbour prevented one of my bikes being taken last week as he was out walking his dog in the morning. Management company have been informed of other bikes being stolen in the past 2 months but they have not informed residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Weepsie wrote: »
    Great if people want to tell us they got their bike back, but if any poster wants to start boasting about how they will beat the snot out of anyone they can take a break from posting.

On topic, a neighbour prevented one of my bikes being taken last week as he was out walking his dog in the morning. Management company have been informed of other bikes being stolen in the past 2 months but they have not informed residents.

How did they stop it being stolen? Is it in a garden shed or lockup area?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was in a communal shed. It actually didn't have cranks on it, was just out there while I fought with the seized seatpost. Neighbour was walking their dog at 4.30 in the morning. They weren't getting far on a steel bike with no cranks on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

italodisco wrote: »
    Paint your rear hub neon yellow or orange, will make it very easy to spot the bike online or on the street if it does get nicked.
    Thats how i found my bike 2 years later driving through ballyfermot lol

I would rather have my bike stolen than paint my hub neon orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭longford76

2 bikes stolen from garden shed in Greystones, Co. Wicklow. Reported to the guards.

Boardman Adventure 8.9 - distinctive orange bike and not many of these about from what I've seen (or haven't seen).

Jamis Beatnik black singlespeed bike.

Both have some modifications done to them that I would be able to point out if I got to see them again but not holding out too much hope.

Pictures attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Has there been a major increase in the number of bikes being stolen of late?
    The @stolenbikesdub acc on twitter has been very active ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has there been a major increase in the number of bikes being stolen of late?
    The @stolenbikesdub acc on twitter has been very active ..

I believe it's just more are reporting.

It's actually worse then the Gardai make it out to be.

Many people don't even bother reporting and the guys doing the crime see near to no time at all.

These crims have no issues doing in broad daylight in the city centre so imagine how easy it is for them in someone's garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

longford76 wrote: »
    2 bikes stolen from garden shed in Greystones, Co. Wicklow. Reported to the guards.

Boardman Adventure 8.9 - distinctive orange bike and not many of these about from what I've seen (or haven't seen).

Jamis Beatnik black singlespeed bike.

Both have some modifications done to them that I would be able to point out if I got to see them again but not holding out too much hope.

Pictures attached.

Bummer - whereabouts in Greystones are you, and how did they get into the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Weepsie wrote: »
    That may be standard operating procedure for Management companies. They probably don't want tenants to know about all the problems because it upsets them. My one is very tight lipped but they do seem to be proactive where they can. For example, the razor wire at the top of the bike cage didn't work, so they welded metal sheets on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Vitus Vitesse stolen from hallway in Cabra Drive. Thief looks like they followed me to the property, then returned on another bike and stole from the hallway which wasn’t locked as we had someone just pop in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

That poor kid who was buried on Friday was stabbed after going to a house and reclaiming his stolen bike:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4105617/knife-used-stab-azzam-raguragui-found/
    Investigators have established that the row is over a bike belonging to Azzam that had been stolen earlier in the day.

Azzam — who aspired to be a doctor — and his pals went to the thief's house and he left with his bike.

That evening, the same group — who are Muslim and were fasting as part of Ramadan — were in Finsbury Park ahead of making their way to nearby Clonskeagh Mosque to pray.

They were then targeted by another group linked to the thief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rechuchote wrote: »
    That poor kid who was buried on Friday was stabbed after going to a house and reclaiming his stolen bike:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4105617/knife-used-stab-azzam-raguragui-found/

Absolutely crazy but we are following in the UK's footsteps as there is no policing or proper penalties to anyone doing wrong.

Advertisement