Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ad withdrawn. Seller has nothing else for sale. Have followed seller in case it reappears for sale.

Gardai contacted. That’s all I can do.

Does the seller history suggest that he is selling bikes regularly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you contacted adverts also? they have procedures which may assist - and a policy about how and when they will release relevant info to the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ad withdrawn. Seller has nothing else for sale. Have followed seller in case it reappears for sale.

Look at the comments and see if there was a particular person interested and then look at their profile. If they have something to sell make contact on that item and well there are numerous ways you can enquire about the bike. If they bought it etc. Ad withdrawn is usually a tactic to avoid paying adverts fees on sales. Has the seller got feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Look at the comments and see if there was a particular person interested and then look at their profile. If they have something to sell make contact on that item and well there are numerous ways you can enquire about the bike. If they bought it etc. Ad withdrawn is usually a tactic to avoid paying adverts fees on sales. Has the seller got feedback.

Adverts have stopped their 'success' fee afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

My bike which I listed on this thread back in May popped up when I did a search on Adverts 2 weeks ago. I bookmarked the page, headed down to the Garda station and showed them the seller profile. To put it mildly it was suspicious - nearly 100 bikes in the the withdrawn state and 6 current ads. Anyhow, to cut a long story short the Gardai came through for me. They set up a sting - made an offer on the bike and arrested the guy for possession of stolen property when he turned up with my bike. Having the serial number and a service history of every component on the bike left them in no doubt that it was mine. BTW they didn't think that this guy was the one that carried out the original theft.

My takeaways from all this:
    1. If it looks too good to be true on Donedeal/Adverts - it's probably stolen. There are a large number of sellers that fall into this category.
    2. Keep your serial number handy.
    3. Having good service records makes it so much easier for the Gardai to act.
    4. In the months after the bike is nicked do a periodic scan of the websites. In my case the bike was stolen in May and posted for sale in September.
    5. Once you give the Gardai the tools to trap the thieves they're more than happy to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

have you contacted adverts also? they have procedures which may assist - and a policy about how and when they will release relevant info to the gardai.

They don't... they have zero interest in the stolen goods listed on site and will just tell you to contact the Gardai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i mentioned (on this thread) a friend's bike which was stolen and then listed on adverts, the adverts admins were proactive in contacting me and asking how we wanted to deal with the ad, and gave me the exact info the gardai would need to request from adverts if the ad became 'evidence'.

anyway, my friend got his bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

when i mentioned (on this thread) a friend's bike which was stolen and then listed on adverts, the adverts admins were proactive in contacting me and asking how we wanted to deal with the ad, and gave me the exact info the gardai would need to request from adverts if the ad became 'evidence'.

anyway, my friend got his bike back.

YMMV... I contacted them previously and got a copy/paste reply about contacting Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lissard wrote: »
    2. Keep your serial number handy.

If you're currently not sure where you'd find your frame number today if you needed it, do this tonight.

1. Pick your online storage provider of choice (Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, iCloud etc)
    2. Take pictures of the frame numbers (bottom brackets) of each bike + a proper shot of the whole bike
    3. Store those pictures in a folder on one of the services in Part 1

If you want to you can add invoices to that folder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I have photos of each of mine in Google photos. I had even forgot I had taken them until I came across them when using the the pretty impressive Google photo search function when searching for something bike related from when I was in Italy and it came back with them.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    If you're currently not sure where you'd find your frame number today if you needed it, do this tonight.

1. Pick your online storage provider of choice (Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, iCloud etc)
    2. Take pictures of the frame numbers (bottom brackets) of each bike + a proper shot of the whole bike
    3. Store those pictures in a folder on one of the services in Part 1

If you want to you can add invoices to that folder too.

Just take a picture and email it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Or just tell Google photos to auto upload every pic you take and never have to worry about backing up pics again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mloc123 wrote: »
    They don't... they have zero interest in the stolen goods listed on site and will just tell you to contact the Gardai

Not zero interest, adverts are very proactive in this area and will cooperate with AGS in every way possible, however there is a procedure to be followed in order to make it 'legal' and create a forensic evidence trail that will stand up in court.

There are many such request about stolen goods every day, the only way to deal with them is to get AGS to make a section 8 request for the sellers IP address, internet provider, address, mobile phone number and activity history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Spate of robberies in my estate this past month. Some fairly expensive bikes taken. They came back last week and a guy heard them breaking into his shed. He chased them and called the garda. They hopped a wall into grounds that had security. They got chased there and hopped back into our estate and got lifted by the garda!!
    Young lads about 17 or 18 in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

mfceiling wrote: »
    Spate of robberies in my estate this past month. Some fairly expensive bikes taken. They came back last week and a guy heard them breaking into his shed. He chased them and called the garda. They hopped a wall into grounds that had security. They got chased there and hopped back into our estate and got lifted by the garda!!
    Young lads about 17 or 18 in the middle of the night.

What area is this?

Thargor wrote: »
    Or just tell Google photos to auto upload every pic you take and never have to worry about backing up pics again.

Careful there, if you take a photo of a receipt or other document google knows this and in it's wisdom likes to put these ones in an archive. So if can't find your receipt check the archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It asks you first if you want to archive things like receipts, well my Google does anyway. Might be a setting in there to either automatically do it or prompt for it.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It asks you first if you want to archive things like receipts, well my Google does anyway. Might be a setting in there to either automatically do it or prompt for it.

Does mine automatically I must have just clicked/tapped though the prompts at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Alanbt wrote: »
    What area is this?

Terenure/Templeogue

Thargor wrote: »
    Yes, never worry about backup - just start worrying about what Google does or will use them for instead.

• Advertisement

Yes, never worry about backup - just start worrying about what Google does or will use them for instead.

Or decides to start charging for the privilege of viewing your own photos :eek:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Or decides to start charging for the privilege of viewing your own photos :eek:

Which is close enough to what Flickr has done this week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is there any GPS tracker kit that can be hidden on the bike, to help locate a bike of stolen?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is there any GPS tracker kit that can be hidden on the bike, to help locate a bike of stolen?

Haven't used them myself, but these yokes have good coverage in urban areas

https://www.munstergps.ie/product-category/sim-free-gps-trackers/

Haven't used them myself, but these yokes have good coverage in urban areas

https://www.munstergps.ie/product-category/sim-free-gps-trackers/

Finding a somewhere to hide it could be tricky tho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not sure how good it is, but the Sherlock was mentioned in the Times last week. GPS tracker that takes the place of a bar end plug.

https://www.sherlock.bike/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

STOLEN SATURDAY 24TH NOVEMBER AT 5.25PM FROM OUTSIDE LITTLE NIPPERS HAIRDRESSERS, STILLORGAN. Absolute f**kers. My 10 year only son and I were in getting the hair cut and they lifted it. It's distinctive looking, not many around. It was not locked, mistake made and lesson learned.

Dinging wrote: »
    STOLEN SATURDAY 24TH NOVEMBER AT 5.25PM FROM OUTSIDE LITTLE NIPPERS HAIRDRESSERS, STILLORGAN. Absolute f**kers. My 10 year only son and I were in getting the hair cut and they lifted it. It's distinctive looking, not many around. It was not locked, mistake made and lesson learned.

Seriously what a shower of kuntz

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

Reported to the Guards on Sunday morning. To be fair they called me this morning and told me that are going to follow up with review of CCTV in the area.

• Advertisement

Reported to the Guards on Sunday morning. To be fair they called me this morning and told me that are going to follow up with review of CCTV in the area.

Take a drive round the area that'll be dumped somewhere once the novelty wears off.

Advertisement