Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IndyCar 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Its official. https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11651485/sky-sports-to-broadcast-indycar-on-sky-sports-f1-in-2019

How do i get SS F1 on Virgin?

Tickets arrived this morning for COTA too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I signed up for Eir recently with their Sky Sports package for 12 month only to find out that they don't have the F1 channel which I'm disgusted with. Not sure how I can actually watch F1 or IndyCar this season. I don't want to double pay for Sky Sports on Now TV, just to get the one channel I don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I've a Freesat setup with eir sports free from my broadband. It is tempting to get SS F1 but I'm not interested in paying sky for anything other than F1 channel. So it may be a Now TV option for me unless something else more convenient comes up.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Very disappointed by this. Had been getting back into IndyCar the last few years (had given up after ChampCar's heyday). I only have EirTV. Not paying extra to try watch this or F1. Will be sticking to IMSA/WEC and some NASCAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Rosenqvist and Ericsson P1 and P3 in first practice 🤔

• Advertisement

How impressive was Herta too. Top 3 in every quali group and then gets binned because of a schoolboy error.
    Wickens was the only surprise last year, hopefully we have multiple contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Haven't watched an Indy race live in a while, I forgot that in the US, advertising is more important than seeing the racing.

Solid start from Rosenqvist, been a big fan of his since his F3 days. Would love to see him do well on his debut. Meanwhile Ericsson running around at the back, reminding everyone why the wrong Swede has been in F1 all these years

skipper_G wrote: »
    Haven't watched an Indy race live in a while, I forgot that in the US, advertising is more important than seeing the racing.

Solid start from Rosenqvist, been a big fan of his since his F3 days. Would love to see him do well on his debut. Meanwhile Ericsson running around at the back, reminding everyone why the wrong Swede has been in F1 all these years

i think the problem is they havent been able to handle or received handover for the split screen. Plus the complete outage.

Apart from up to first pit stop period coverage has been woeful. Hopefully they care enough to fix it.

Great start to the season for Rosenqvist as a rookie. Decent racing, good pass too. Looking forward to the rookies progressing through the season.

I'm using the word rookie lightly as these guys are seasoned racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

i think the problem is they havent been able to handle or received handover for the split screen. Plus the complete outage.

Sky seemed to be literally taking the raw NBCSN feed, because there were periods were the American ads were playing! Whereas every other country (including Germany, Brazil, and the countries covered by viasat) had the specific international feed with a graphics package from last year (but not the ****ty old ESPN International one, thank god!) but no ads, just a track-audio-only feed.

People are rather mad Sky didn't have that international feed and that they didn't run it completely ad-free like they do for F1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Vic_08

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Sky seemed to be literally taking the raw NBCSN feed, because there were periods were the American ads were playing! Whereas every other country (including Germany, Brazil, and the countries covered by viasat) had the specific international feed with a graphics package from last year (but not the ****ty old ESPN International one, thank god!) but no ads, just a track-audio-only feed.

People are rather mad Sky didn't have that international feed and that they didn't run it completely ad-free like they do for F1.

They sort of fixed it for the second race today, still the NBC feed but went to no commentary, no graphics track feed when the many yank ad breaks were on.

The US presentation style can be annoying especially the constant product shilling but I guess as it is Sky that if they had done it in house the alternative would probably have been even worse; Croft and Valsecci anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They sort of fixed it for the second race today, still the NBC feed but went to no commentary, no graphics track feed when the many yank ad breaks were on.

The US presentation style can be annoying especially the constant product shilling but I guess as it is Sky that if they had done it in house the alternative would probably have been even worse; Croft and Valsecci anyone?

It was definitely better yesterday but still very poor. By having Indycar on Skysports F1 the theory is that they should have new followers who found it inconvenient to track down the races every weekend (similar story to the NFL). New viewers would not have had a clue who they were looking at without the graphics on screen. I even noticed that some of the commentary-free & graphicless feed was replays from earlier in the race so you cannot even be certain that it is live.

The one great thing though is I can now do series link. So pros and cons really.... Valsecci's overexcitement to overtakes etc would be too much though... whilst being funny for 10 minutes that would certainly be a con :) I often think that his over-enthusiastic post-qualifying interviews in F1 could inspire a very funny sitcom character.

What a weekend.
    Have to say i really enjoyed it. Had An airbnb 10 mins from the track, very easy drop off even on Sunday.
    Non Indy highlight was the Super trucks. Great entertainment. The 1st Lights race was great, i didnt get there early enough for second race. Very early schedule not really sure why.
    The race was fantastic, pass after pass at T12. Was actually sat next to Satos manager/spotter in the stands, was good to ask him some random stuff before the start.

Was hoping for a Rossi/Power battle before the yellows came out, he was fast after the restart but i think the reds faded, i know Satos boss was worried about him at the end.

Wasn’t too much of a procession, there was a concern it might be. Good track, quite well set out. Extortionate prices tho, was at one stall and i saw two price lists. $2 Soda and then Indy price list was $5. Ridiculous.

Got a selfie with Ericsson in the pits after the race and ‘accidentally’ stumbled onto the victory circle too next to Hertas car, covered in sparkling cider.

In LAX now, starting the journey back tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,952 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Indy road course race at the moment, rain on the way which could mix it up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,952 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Borderline wet conditions, some on wet tyres some on slick

Decent race. Nice to see some proper driver without push to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Nic_Col wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised. First turn is the most likely overtaking opportunity but it's very tight and is the straight even long enough to gain any meaningful DRS benefit?

Looks a bit dated too. Investment required. Hopefully all the grass and gravel isn't replaced with tarmacked run offs and silly stripy paint. The only positive I can see is maybe this track might actually punish drivers who go off track.

Truth be told, the track is an old relic from a past long bygone that is utterly unsuitable for modern racing, let alone Formula 1. The one and only reason it's going to be back on the calendar is to cash in on the Verstappen craze in the Netherlands paired with the fact the population is well off thus there'll be an huge financial return. It's also close to the UK and Ireland, only a short flight away...I might actually go :D

What's going to happen is that in the 12 months leading up to the event the track will be butchered and "Tilkeified", vast runoff areas, straightened corners, maybe a couple of chicanes just for kicks.

Runoff areas are likely to be added...we can bellyache all we want about them, gritty unforgiving "real men" sandtraps will not happen in the "skinny soy spice pumpkin latte" age :D
    Cool_CM wrote: »

We Europeans usually fail to understand how much of a delicate process it is to drive an oval track: you need minimal steering inputs in order not to scrub off speed and to avoid unsettling the car (which is set up pretty much for zero downforce), yet the IMS corners are quite sharp at 400Kph and the walls come up hard and fast. Usually an ex-F1 driver's first impact with an oval is an...impact (ask Nigel Mansell), Fernando has done absurdly well up to this point, this CAN indeed happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Truth be told, the track is an old relic from a past long bygone that is utterly unsuitable for modern racing, let alone Formula 1. The one and only reason it's going to be back on the calendar is to cash in on the Verstappen craze in the Netherlands paired with the fact the population is well off thus there'll be an huge financial return. It's also close to the UK and Ireland, only a short flight away...I might actually go :D

What's going to happen is that in the 12 months leading up to the event the track will be butchered and "Tilkeified", vast runoff areas, straightened corners, maybe a couple of chicanes just for kicks.

Runoff areas are likely to be added...we can bellyache all we want about them, gritty unforgiving "real men" sandtraps will not happen in the "skinny soy spice pumpkin latte" age :D

We Europeans usually fail to understand how much of a delicate process it is to drive an oval track: you need minimal steering inputs in order not to scrub off speed and to avoid unsettling the car (which is set up pretty much for zero downforce), yet the IMS corners are quite sharp at 400Kph and the walls come up hard and fast. Usually an ex-F1 driver's first impact with an oval is an...impact (ask Nigel Mansell), Fernando has done absurdly well up to this point, this CAN indeed happen :)

Absolutely, and it was a proper concrete barrier Mansell hit too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Lexie Flaky Milkshake

Personally while Alonso has done great in his career to date i think the victory at the Indy 500 will elude him in the same way that a third F1 title did along with the likes of Mansell who never won in Monaco, Senna never won in France,Prost never won in Japan,Jacques Villeneuve never won in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Are we in danger of seeing Fernando Alonso being bumped ? , only 31st in qualifying when running on his own.

McLaren may have underestimated the challenge of Indy and the difference between an alliance with a powerhouse like Andretti and current team up with Carlin.

A lot of track time has been lost with electrics , crash and delays in building up spare cars

Had a cut tire on his qualifying run. Looks like he'll be in the back row shootout unless he gets out again and posts a major improvement.

Hinch in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,326 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very likely major embarrassment for Alonso and McLaren. At this point with about an hour left in qualifying they have not qualified. Alonso was just out again to try but was 34th, only top 30 make it.
    They don't appear to have the top speed required and their dropoff after the first lap is more than most cars too. Qualification is done on your average speed over four laps.

If he doesn't make it today he'll get another go tomorrow to get one of the last three places. But his pace is terrible, as is Chilton. If Hinch doesn't try to qualify the spare car today (he's only done a shake down lap in it) he'll be favorite to take one of the three places tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Wow, heard Alonso wasn't fast during the week but never imagined he'd be struggling to qualify!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjOFe5avKc

Live stream from turn 1, gives a great sense of the crazy speeds at this track!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,326 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Alonso about to go again, it's on Sky F1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think it's a big boost for the sport/ event for people to see that alonso cannot just turn up and win. That would show it to be
    an inferior sport.
    I'd say the majority of the paddock out there are pretty happy that he is struggling. Nothing makes you look as bad as a blow in turning up and wining.

Advertisement