Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

votecounts wrote: »
    Disgusting comment

But true, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Phil.x wrote: »
    Listen, thats the new reality, they didn't want the baby once they heard it "wrongly" had a deficiency and decided to participate in this "new" throwaway process.

With great powers comes greater responsibility.

A deficiency?
    Maybe educate yourself on what Edwards syndrome actually is before you make such ignorant comments.
    Most babies with this condition die at birth or soon after, for goodness sake. Only 12% of that make it to their first birthday.
    Dismissing it as if it’s some sort of minor inconvenience is really nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Phil.x wrote:
    But true, sadly.

Actually it's not true as you don't know what the couple went through before they opted for abortion . Yet you claimed it was 'throwaway'. I suspect you are trolling, although it might be better if you educated yourself on the condition that the couple was told the foetus had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Poor little one, it’s him/her my sympathies are with.

Of course we don’t know all the ins and outs. A test probability is just that, a possible outcome, even with a high probability of abnormality, it’s not a definite. People have now the right to chose, and every choice in life has consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Jaster Rogue

Prehaps one of the nastiest comments I have ever seen on Boards. You think anyone would consider abortion so flippantly. Pathetic.

While I disagree with the poster's general tone, you're naive to think there aren't people in the world who consider abortion flippantly. In the UK 1 in 5 pregnancies result in abortion. There are women there who have had 6 and 7 abortions.

Only a matter of time before it's normalized into Irish society. Another step in the process of devaluing human life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

While I disagree with the poster's general tone, you're naive to think there aren't people in the world who consider abortion flippantly. In the UK 1 in 5 pregnancies result in abortion. There are women there who have had 6 and 7 abortions.

You're naive to think I will accept nonsense figures that were shown to be false during the Ref campaign.

Leaving aside the fact that that statistic was debunked several times over during the referendum, would you consider someone so ‘flippant’ that they ended up needing 6/7 abortions to be the kind of person who would be a good mother?

Do you think it’s in the best interests of an innocent baby to force them on an irresponsible woman who doesn’t want to be a parent?

All it does it weaponise children into real life punishments to be bestowed on their careless mothers.

You need to consider what kind of life these children will be born into.
    It’s not very pro-life to not consider the consequences of forcing women like that to have babies they do not want.
    Taking away the choice is not the answer.
    There’s already enough unwanted, unloved, neglected kids in the world without adding more to it.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    A deficiency?
    Maybe educate yourself on what Edwards syndrome actually is before you make such ignorant comments.
    Most babies with this condition die at birth or soon after, for goodness sake. Only 12% of that make it to their first birthday.
    Dismissing it as if it’s some sort of minor inconvenience is really nasty.

Maybe educate yourself on the case, the health baby didn't have trisomy 18,edwards syndrome.

The test for this condition isn't fully conclusive, maybe educate yourself about that in case you find yourself in that situation.

Leaving aside the fact that that statistic was debunked several times over during the referendum, would you consider someone so ‘flippant’ that they ended up needing 6/7 abortions to be the kind of person who would be a good mother?

Do you think it’s in the best interests of an innocent baby to force them on an irresponsible woman who doesn’t want to be a parent?

All it does it weaponise children into real life punishments to be bestowed on their careless mothers.

It’s not very pro-life to not consider the consequences of forcing women like that to have babies they do not want.
    There’s already enough unwanted, unloved, neglected kids in the world without adding more to it.

Wow.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Listen, thats the new reality, they didn't want the baby once they heard it "wrongly" had a deficiency and decided to participate in this "new" throwaway process.

It's not a simple deficiency though. If I was told I could have a child which will suffer their entire life, which will probably only measure in days after birth, I would make the exact same decision, and I would be doing it out of mercy for the baby, not because they might be inconvenient for me or aren't what I was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Millions of people have been born as unwanted children and have been adopted by people who cannot have children themselves.

Abortion is necessary in a variety of situations, but to dehumanise people simply because their mother doesn't want them isn't something that anybody should support.

I think you're beginning to strain to make your point at this stage.

Maybe educate yourself on the case, the health baby didn't have trisomy 18,edwards syndrome.

The test for this condition isn't fully conclusive, maybe educate yourself about that in case you find yourself in that situation.

Are you having a laugh? They believed at the time of procuring the abortion that the baby had Edwards syndrome.
    The fact that they thought the baby had the condition is very relevant to the case so I’m baffled as to why you are trying to dismiss the relevance.

Edwards syndrome is not a mere ‘deficiency’ as you so eloquently put it, it’s a serious life limiting condition that causes most children with it to die at birth.
    It was undoubtedly with this in mind that the parents decided to go ahead with the termination.

You appear to be neglecting to consider the fact that you have hindsight on the matter, which the parents didn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

kowloon wrote: »
    It's not a simple deficiency though. If I was told I could have a child which will suffer their entire life, which will probably only measure in days after birth, I would make the exact same decision, and I would be doing it out of mercy for the baby, not because they might be inconvenient for me or aren't what I was looking for.

It’s easy to be pro-life when it’s someone else who has to suffer.

While I disagree with the poster's general tone, you're naive to think there aren't people in the world who consider abortion flippantly.
    And why not?

It does sound counter-intuitive to deny the personhood of a foetus, especially if you've been raised (as most us will have been) in a Christian environment. But lets put aside our instincts and employ logic instead: A foetus the size of a pear is no more a person than a pear is the equivalent of its parent tree.

At the heart of things is the contrast between the organisational complexity of the parent structure and its offshoot. To equalize the two is to say that the eating of a pear is the moral equivalent of felling a pear tree (the latter being a crime, I hope).

This is so bonkers when it is applied to pear trees, that when you quite naturally extend the principle to human beings, and you start to wreck people's lives with your absurd dogma, that people lose their patience very rapidly when you say things like "AND, I've heard some women are flippant about it".

By the way, if you've read this post as somehow thinking that I'm making an equivalence between human adults and adult pear-trees, do us both a favour and lets not engage. Because that's obviously ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Lets explore your mind for just one daunting moment.

What is your objective in saying such a nasty thing?
    Even if you believe their actions were throwaway (casual; not taken seriously), and regardless of how you got that notion, why would you deliberately come on here to post it?

To be a nasty person? To upset someone else who might have had an abortion, is that the objective? Enlighten me. What's the desired outcome from posting that?

Simple, to score points innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The hypocrisy of the Pro choice side here is unbelievable.
    They took their opportunity to run with their modern Ireland poster victim Savita Hallipinavar to push through their agenda, and now they declare this is tragedy is a once off, an anomaly...

Sadly this is the way this country has gone, this poor baby was written off the moment their was a possibility of a problem.
    The new hip liberal generation who don't face a challenge, they take the soft option, as long as their lifestyle doesn't take the hit...

These want to be parents should have been encouraged to wait and hope that things may turn out well, and at least to give every medial avenue a chance. They were steered towards the soft inhumane option by the agenda of their hospitals senior obs, who was incidentally a poster girl for the repeal campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The 8th amendment would have given a legal right to life to this poor defenceless innocent human life, and prevented his or her killing. Sad but true. All the right on lefty liberal 'woke' brigade : are you proud now?

Chances are this couple likely would have headed to England.

#loveboats

nullzero wrote: »
    Millions of people have been born as unwanted children and have been adopted by people who cannot have children themselves.

Abortion is necessary in a variety of situations, but to dehumanise people simply because their mother doesn't want them isn't something that anybody should support.

I think you're beginning to strain to make your point at this stage.

You’re putting words in my mouth now, I never suggested that those born in less than ideal circumstances can’t lead prosperous happy lives or anything of the sort.
    I’m not dehumanising anyone.

I reject the notion that someone against abortion can judge & criticise a woman they deem to be ‘flippant’ (aka a sl*t) for getting abortion after abortion, while not considering the fact that a woman that irresponsible is not the kind of person we should be forcing into motherhood.
    That is all I am suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

They took their opportunity to run with their modern Ireland poster victim Savita Hallipinavar to push through their agenda, and now they declare this is tragedy is a once off, an anomaly...

Sadly this is the way this country has gone, this poor baby was written off the moment their was a possibility of a problem.
    The new hip liberal generation who don't face a challenge, they take the soft option, as long as their lifestyle doesn't take the hit...

These want to be parents should have been encouraged to wait and hope that things may turn out well, and at least to give every medial avenue a chance. They were steered towards the soft inhumane option by the agenda of their hospitals senior obs, who was incidentally a poster girl for the repeal campaign.

An awful lot of speculation here.

Tell me this, what medical avenue can be explored to treat a child with Edwards Syndrome?

kowloon wrote: »

Well then you didn't do your homework now did you, you'd be in the same situation at the couple on the news.

Mercy for the baby!!... please open your eyes.

• Advertisement

Well then you didn't do your homework now did you, you'd be in the same situation at the couple on the news.

Mercy for the baby!!... please open your eyes.

Sorry do you understand the concept of what hindsight is?

Can you confirm if you are aware that at the time of getting the abortion, they believed the child did in fact have Edwards syndrome?

Pro choice side, when does a foetus cease being foetus and become a baby?
    When does a foetus have a right to life? The ten or so seconds after it's born and draws a breadth?
    Do you consider them fair fame up to this moment, if not astetically perfect they can still be cast aside? Because that's the way it's going.

The beginning of social eugenics.

Pro choice side, when does a foetus cease being foetus and become a baby?
    When does a foetus have a right to life? The ten or so seconds after it's born and draws a breadth?
    Do you consider them fair fame up to this moment, if not astetically perfect they can still be cast aside? Because that's the way it's going.

The beginning of social eugenics.

This was all done to death in the run up to the referendum.
    There was at least 10 threads across boards on it.

amcalester wrote: »

An awful lot of speculation here.

Tell me this, what medical avenue can be explored to treat a child with Edwards Syndrome?

The presence of that condition hadn't been definitely confirmed when they made their decision along with obs.
    There is no indication the mother was at risk medically nor was there a threat of a sudden miscarriage.
    In that instance why the rush by obs to proceed with abortion?
    Was it under the hospitals new direction of liberal Master or maternity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Im the most staunch anti abortion person on boards, but I've always had respectful back and forth debate.
    Because I genuinely believe that life is s gift from God and we all have a soul.
    This is a serious wake up call for Ireland and the reality of the repealing of the eight amendment

You’re putting words in my mouth now, I never suggested that those born in less than ideal circumstances can’t lead prosperous happy lives or anything of the sort.

I reject the notion that someone against abortion can judge & criticise a woman they deem to be ‘flippant’ (aka a sl*t) for getting abortion after abortion, while not considering the fact that a woman that irresponsible is not the kind of person we should be forcing into motherhood.

Maybe sterilization would be a better way for such an irresponsible person to ensure that they didn’t have children foisted upon them???? I find the notion of your post to be pure BS. There’s many a way to avoid pregnancy, multiple abortions seems like a lazy birth control method, lazy and wrong. But as you were.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'm not putting words in your mouth at all, I'm responding to the words you wrote.
    You're one of the main culprits of making this thread about repeal.
    I'm struggling to remember the last post you made that actually references the case at hand.

Triple check, quadruple check. If it’s a much wanted baby wouldn’t you ???????

screamer wrote: »
    Maybe sterilization would be a better way for such an irresponsible person to ensure that they didn’t have children foisted upon them???? I find the notion of your post to be pure BS. There’s many a way to avoid pregnancy, multiple abortions seems like a lazy birth control method, lazy and wrong. But as you were.......

I find the notion that you just invented an entire narrative on my behalf to be even more BS.

To confirm I don’t not condone multiple abortions in lieu of birth control and I in no way indicated that I support it in my post. I don’t appreciate you implying that’s what I was insinuating.

I pointed out that if someone is very ‘flippant’ & they do not want to have a baby, they are probably not ideal candidates to have forced motherhood foisted on them.
    I made a simple observation and you are adding arms and legs onto it to suit your own theories.

• Advertisement

Sorry do you understand the concept of what hindsight is?

Can you confirm if you are aware that at the time of getting the abortion, they believed the child did in fact have Edwards syndrome?

The test isn't fully conclusive......can you not grasp that??? or are you happy with sweeping you're little secret under the carpet.

Advertisement