Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot training

Options
  • 15-08-2018 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Looking to start fully integrated pilot program this sept or nov with AFTA in cork 73000 euro.
    We have a good bit in savings but want to get a loan to pay for the whole lot hopefully being snake to use the savings as some form of collateral,
    Wondering if there is any institution that anyone knows off that would let me borrow and maybe defer payments for 12 months or even 24 ad a job would be gauranteed at the end. Or even pay interest only payments for first year or two. Boi never heard of such a thing and it’s practically more than a mortgage to pay it back, meeting aib but not confident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Why AFTA if you don’t mind?

I went the modular route. Took me just less than two years and I’m flying the 737 for the same price as AFTAs integrated course. (Albeit I’m on the old contract deal, it’s significantly cheaper now with my current company)

I’d honestly consider other options than them. You’ve got numerous flying clubs around the country for PPL/Hour building, few options of doing the ATPL, and then head off to Sweden, Spain or Poland to complete the CPL/IR.

Plus the upside with modular, you can do it in your own time, work 2/3 days a week on the side and be in a position to make your own decisions while not having your hand held throughout the training. (Few people might disagree with me there on the last one)

Best of luck with the decision, feel free to ask more questions. Like I said, there’s other options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hilisa

b757 wrote: »
    Why AFTA if you don’t mind?

I went the modular route. Took me just less than two years and I’m flying the 737 for the same price as AFTAs integrated course. (Albeit I’m on the old contract deal, it’s significantly cheaper now with my current company)

I’d honestly consider other options than them. You’ve got numerous flying clubs around the country for PPL/Hour building, few options of doing the ATPL, and then head off to Sweden, Spain or Poland to complete the CPL/IR.

Plus the upside with modular, you can do it in your own time, work 2/3 days a week on the side and be in a position to make your own decisions while not having your hand held throughout the training. (Few people might disagree with me there on the last one)

Best of luck with the decision, feel free to ask more questions. Like I said, there’s other options out there.

Was thinking modular but having been at their open day and seeing that all graduated are in the airline within 3 weeks to 3 months, and have one airline constantly looking for pilots from them and two others guaranteeing a job at end of training now it seems like a good option. Financing it will be what puts a stop to the dream by looking at things.
    It’s all I want to do. If I go modular I will have to go full time anyway as I can’t work part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

If you have the cash why not pop over to Florida and smash out the PPLin 2 months(disclaimers everywhere) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

hilisa wrote: »
    Was thinking modular but having been at their open day and seeing that all graduated are in the airline within 3 weeks to 3 months, and have one airline constantly looking for pilots from them and two others guaranteeing a job at end of training now it seems like a good option. Financing it will be what puts a stop to the dream by looking at things.
    It’s all I want to do. If I go modular I will have to go full time anyway as I can’t work part time.

I was modular, I got a interview 2 weeks after finishing. Friend of mine, 1 week.

Most modular guys I know got interviews and jobs within 2-6 weeks.

Don't believe everything a guy with 4 stripes tells you, remember its a business and they're out to make profit.

**** Update: NO AIRLINE GUARANTEE JOBS. Don't get caught out with that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The lads I know all went modular while still holding down a full time job just used holidays and weekends for the training, Get the class 1 medical done first to be safe put it this way I was shocked when I failed my initial one with the eye sight tests as they are more intrusive than other medical you would do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

hilisa wrote: »

Were you at the open day on Sunday hilisa, can I ask if you were impressed by them & their facilities? Unfortunately I couldn't make it there but my research on this and other forums shows AFTA have a good rep. Best of luck saving the money - I'm in a similar position as yourself, its tough going but all going well I reckon I'll have the money raised for the Integrated programme in about 2 years time.

Can I ask what airline is constantly looking for pilots off them and where you heard this? Also what are the two others guaranteeing a job after the training that you refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Interested to hear how you got on,with fully integrated route. I would like to pursue this. Funds are not an issue. It seems in my mind that the fully integrated course is most direct and will take the least amount of research by me :)

It's also helpful that it's carried out completely in Ireland which would suit me for family needs.

I would like to hear opinions on both. Realistically how quick can the modular route be? I have a pretty flexible job at present and can take all the unpaid leave that I might need so may be an option.

Following on; If I passed everything how likely is it that I'd get work where I can be based in Ireland (which is necessary for me)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Rule number 1: Pass Class 1 Medical

Rule number 2-10: See Rule Number 1!!

Now once you have that and if you can do it go integrated. Get it all done in 16-18 months. NFC have a great course that runs 3 times a year.

Job after that time. Well you could get a job within a month or maybe 6 months. Nothing is guaranteed. Depends on what you want. You may desire a legacy carrier and end up doing the mail run on Shortts SD60 out of Aberdeen!!

A good resource is Flight deck friend or pilot jobs network.

Finally, see rule number 1!

Getting Dub as a base would be almost impossible the lads I knew on the 738 got sent to Spain and the UK, My other mate was lucky to get Dub but he not from Dublin.
    And he being moved on shortly he was also saying that FR are not charging 30k for the TR these days but you are bonded for a number of years.

Getting Dub as a base would be almost impossible the lads I knew on the 738 got sent to Spain and the UK, My other mate was lucky to get Dub but he not from Dublin.
    And he being moved on shortly he was also saying that FR are not charging 30k for the TR these days but you are bonded for a number of years.

How old is that information? These days and with the exodus of pilots the chances of getting DUB if it is a preferred base are quite high. You will be asked for a choice of 3 bases and most times you will get one of those.

The type rating is now €5k but you are bonded for 5 years.

However expect to go for command upgrade within 4 years as you will be doing close to the maximum hours each year.

• Advertisement

Ah my mates did the TR back in 2010 the other lad 2016, Two other lads I know who are TRI/TRE were looking at the sandpit.
    Last time I heard from them their mises put a stop to it also a few bases are losing aircraft with crew giving options for other bases.

Medical first I suppose. Then see what options are. Just wondering, if I went down the Cork route with Afta, do you walk out the door ready to apply for jobs or do you still have to find some flight time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

If someone is willing to spend all that money on training and their aim is to join FR at the end of it then the industry is truly doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't follow that last comment.
    Surely Ryanair are a reasonable place to get a job and build your way to something better with more money and better conditions.

basill wrote: »
    If someone is willing to spend all that money on training and their aim is to join FR at the end of it then the industry is truly doomed.

For me, 75k to buy a new career within 14months that pays pretty well isn't a bad deal. My career at present is pretty boring, my undergrad will take me back to graduate Land where they work for 35-45k in a lab and that's if you're willing to commute to Dublin at peak times.

I dunno if Ryanair is good or bad to work for but I'd assume one could move on to bigger and better things. I need to do a lot of research obviously but is the dream aerlingus!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@Milhous, you need to stay current and you need to put money aside for the ME-IR renewal in year two, which has to be done in a live aircraft. Fellas tend to forget that when they get the new license in their hot little fists and have visions of instant employment.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    @Milhous, you need to stay current and you need to put money aside for the ME-IR renewal in year two, which has to be done in a live aircraft. Fellas tend to forget that when they get the new license in their hot little fists and have visions of instant employment.

Yeah I suppose best thing to do is talk to the Afta and see what the craic is. It's kind of advertised as a ready to hit the sky package but I'm sure it's not that simple.

basill wrote: »

Spoken from someone that only sees the public side of Ryanair.

You will not get a better quality of training than at Ryanair. Where else can you join a company and within 4-5 years have your command?

Sure you do your time and then the grass is always greener elsewhere. Nice to be 25 and be right seat on a 777 in the sand pit.

Most ex guys tell me that it is a hard life but the money is good and the training stands to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seems to me, if there are airline jobs available, the cost and time frame to employment are pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

How old is that information? These days and with the exodus of pilots the chances of getting DUB if it is a preferred base are quite high. You will be asked for a choice of 3 bases and most times you will get one of those.

The type rating is now €5k but you are bonded for 5 years.

However expect to go for command upgrade within 4 years as you will be doing close to the maximum hours each year.

I was told i will likely not get Dublin as a first base, pilots I know in the company say it isn't even unlikely but nigh on impossible for the first year or 2 at least because there is a long waiting list. Line training alright might be out of Dublin for the few weeks it lasts, but you will be sent elsewhere afterwards they told me.

Anyway I wanted to post to say that I got a job 2 weeks after graduating (not with the company mentioned above) and if I would do anything different looking back it's that I would do modular training. Integrated training made absolutely 0 difference to the job opportunities presented to me and my school played very little role in my achievements. Thankfully I got my integrated course for basically a modular price so didn't spend much more than what's reasonable

• Advertisement

Spoken from someone that only sees the public side of Ryanair.

You will not get a better quality of training than at Ryanair. Where else can you join a company and within 4-5 years have your command?

Sure you do your time and then the grass is always greener elsewhere. Nice to be 25 and be right seat on a 777 in the sand pit.

Most ex guys tell me that it is a hard life but the money is good and the training stands to them.

With all respect, I see many guys go from Ryanair to Aer Lingus but I'm yet to meet anyone go from Aer Lingus to Ryanair, that's just one example, so it's far from the best company around. I have nothing against Ryanair and no doubt they have good training and pilots, but this claptrap that Ryanair are the best at this and the best at that as if they invented flying and they hold the secret formula to being a good pilot only ever comes out of their own training department. It's boring and tiring at this point for everyone else, and there are plenty of other equally if not better training departments out there. Not all other airlines are cowboys roaming the skies as you all seem to think, and some even have a good company atmosphere and are given many reasons to like their company and be passionate about it, supplementing their excellent training and creating an all round good package.

Anyway thread drift aside, to the other guy asking, AFTA will not get you a job interview in Ryanair if you go self sponsored, you will apply as any other candidate and be subject to the online assessment to go to the actual assessment like anyone else. Don't believe the hype about them offering special routes in, they are non existent routes unless you are specifically on the ryanair cadet programme from the get go (which would be a great start and i'd advise trying to go for it btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

1123heavy wrote: »
    With all respect, I see many guys go from Ryanair to Aer Lingus but I'm yet to meet anyone go from Aer Lingus to Ryanair, that's just one example, so it's far from the best company around. I have nothing against Ryanair and no doubt they have good training and pilots, but this claptrap that Ryanair are the best at this and the best at that as if they invented flying and they hold the secret formula to being a good pilot only ever comes out of their own training department. It's boring and tiring at this point for everyone else, and there are plenty of other equally if not better training departments out there. Not all other airlines are cowboys roaming the skies as you all seem to think, and some even have a good company atmosphere and are given many reasons to like their company and be passionate about it, supplementing their excellent training and creating an all round good package.

Anyway thread drift aside, to the other guy asking, AFTA will not get you a job interview in Ryanair if you go self sponsored, you will apply as any other candidate and be subject to the online assessment to go to the actual assessment like anyone else. Don't believe the hype about them offering special routes in, they are non existent routes unless you are specifically on the ryanair cadet programme from the get go (which would be a great start and i'd advise trying to go for it btw).

Ryanair has a load of pilots from all different backgrounds, I know people who were ex garda, ex electricians, ex mechanical engineers, I also know Captains and F/O’s that came from Aer Lingus, Cityjet, Stobart, Emirates, Etihad etc etc, the list is endless, just because you haven’t heard of anyone coming from one airline to another doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, you need to remember, Dublin alone has well over 500 pilots, you’re not going to know them all.
    Also saying that EI has just lost a good few engineers too that made their way to RYR cause RYR were offering better money, shifts and allowances, it all goes in cycles.
    I agree with your comments about AFTA though, unless specifically on the RYR cadet programme, a person from any other school has just as good a chance as a person from AFTA to get into Ryanair, it doesn’t make a difference where you do it or how you do it

billie1b wrote: »
    Ryanair has a load of pilots from all different backgrounds, I know people who were ex garda, ex electricians, ex mechanical engineers, I also know Captains and F/O’s that came from Aer Lingus, Cityjet, Stobart, Emirates, Etihad etc etc, the list is endless, just because you haven’t heard of anyone coming from one airline to another doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, you need to remember, Dublin alone has well over 500 pilots, you’re not going to know them all.
    Also saying that EI has just lost a good few engineers too that made their way to RYR cause RYR were offering better money, shifts and allowances, it all goes in cycles.
    I agree with your comments about AFTA though, unless specifically on the RYR cadet programme, a person from any other school has just as good a chance as a person from AFTA to get into Ryanair, it doesn’t make a difference where you do it or how you do it

What are the steps between afta and getting a job as first officer? It's a tad confusing. Where does one get the flight time?

Anybody know these guys. They seem to take you through the works.
    https://nfc.ie/modular-atpl/

As someone mentioned earlier there doesn't seem to be any real benefit to the fully integrated over modular!?Allowing me to keep my current job, whilst not necessary, it would not be a bad thing.

billie1b wrote: »
    t

Of course they have people who had various previous careers, like what has to be a majority of airlines across the globe. I wasn't talking about though.

I am sure people have gone from the airlines you mentioned to Ryanair. Before taking the dive and going into flying I spent sometime working in an office role for a few of the airlines based in Dublin. I can say without any doubt that most FOs from the likes of Stobart and Cityjet would be inclined to go to Aer Lingus and build their career there. It's mostly captains (often the older ones) that would tend to go to Ryanair because of the seniority system in Aer Lingus and the fact they'd lose their command, Ryanair is more attractive to those. There are of course outliers, but they're the exception more than the rule.

milhous wrote: »
    Anybody know these guys. They seem to take you through the works.
    https://nfc.ie/modular-atpl/

As someone mentioned earlier there doesn't seem to be any real benefit to the fully integrated over modular!?Allowing me to keep my current job, whilst not necessary, it would not be a bad thing.

You may think it not necessary but you need to have something to fall back on in case it takes you a little longer to get a flying job than you hope. I would always advise someone to keep their current job where possible.

1123heavy wrote: »
    You may think it not necessary but you need to have something to fall back on in case it takes you a little longer to get a flying job than you hope. I would always advise someone to keep their current job where possible.

Does anyone know the time frames for both? I like the idea of throwing myself into it.
    I believe whether intentional or not that going the modular route life would get in the way. I'm not sure if the integrated route is more Monday to Friday but that would suit. Wife and kids etc.

milhous wrote: »
    Does anyone know the time frames for both? I like the idea of throwing myself into it.
    I believe whether intentional or not that going the modular route life would get in the way. I'm not sure if the integrated route is more Monday to Friday but that would suit. Wife and kids etc.

The integrated route will have you occupied from morning till night 7 days a week for the ground school period. The flying then depends on how often you fly at your school, it varies a lot from place to place.

The modular route can be done whilst still keeping your current life somewhat for the ground school part, you aren't under so much pressure and can take the exams as you wish.

If you train with FTE Jerez you will spend the first 6 months in the classroom. NFC will have you flying in week 1.

• Advertisement

If you train with FTE Jerez you will spend the first 6 months in the classroom. NFC will have you flying in week 1.

Yes I've read an aerlingus blog of a pilot who trained in Jerez and then went straight in with them. I looked at their website, it's an impressive outfit. Unfortunately my wife said I cant head to the south of Spain for 62 weeks.. Well unless I take the kids with me 😂

Advertisement