Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cillian Murphy's looking rough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

"Ruth, of Spring Garden Street, North Strand, Dublin has 158 previous convictions, mostly for shoplifting and public order offences.

Judge Melanie Greally sentenced Ruth to three years imprisonment, but suspended the final 18 months on condition that she keep the peace and be of good behaviour and follow all direction of the Probation Service for 18 months post release."

Why are the final 18 months being suspended - with 158 previous convictions it's very doubtful she'll keep the peace - lock her away for the full 3 years - ridiculous stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Those people don’t know the meaning of the word sorry. They know that it will get them a lower sentence though.
    Shame on a system that cuts sentences for people with such high offending rates. It clearly isn’t working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

People need to understand what happens when someone like this get jailed. The Governor of the jail (not the Courts) takes the decision to release them when they feel like it.

I saw a guy sentenced to 90 days in jail on a Monday (handcuffed and taken off) and much to my surprise the following Monday he was in to see me. He said he spent one night in Cork jail and let out the following morning (this guys had nearly 50 convictions). All petty stuff.

Apparently that is the norm.

So in reality she will be stuck in there for a few months and then out the gap when they need to free up some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I swear your honor, I've learned my lesson. The 159th time is the charm!

So in reality she will be stuck in there for a few months and then out the gap when they need to free up some space.
    I imagine that's a particular problem given that we have only two women's prisons in the country. I think there are only about 150 places in total, so you'd wonder about the consistency with which sentences can be completed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

'People' like her need to be put into work camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Always nice to see a photo of one of the recipients of our tax euros.

Yes - it doesn't say she's a welfare queen, but what are the chances she's not????

Christ, I haul my bum out of bed at 5.45am every weekday, drive an hour each way and pay nearly half of what I earn for this sh%$e...

Is there any political party who has the balls to grasp the welfare nettle??

seasidedub wrote: »

Christ, I haul my bum out of bed at 5.45am every weekday, drive an hour each way and pay nearly half of what I earn for this sh%$e...

Here's a back-of-the-envelope calculation that should put your mind at rest.

A worker on 50k a year, who works 39 hours every week, will put 15 minutes of their tax contributions towards all jobseekers expenditure.

That's assuming that nobody on a jobseekers payment has funded their own welfare payments through their taxes (so even 15 minutes is obviously an overstatement).

A small fraction of that time will go towards long-term layabouts (and they definitely do exist, of course).

I wonder how many people spend longer than 15 minutes complaining about this problem, in real life or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just one small mistake, 158 times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Another specimen who should never be allowed to see the light of day ever again in order to protect innocent people from her,

but if your a judge of a politician you dont care about that sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Another specimen who should never be allowed to see the light of day ever again in order to protect innocent people from her,

but if your a judge of a politician you dont care about that sort of thing

Legal industry couldn’t thrive if they killed their golden goose by locking up their most regular customers. Same as drug dealers, they need the addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-sentenced-unprovoked-attack-tourists-dublin-hostel-4626716-May2019/

Battering tourists is now acceptable especially if you've 26 previous convictions.

There's nothing wrong with our justice system...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hal3000 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/man-sentenced-unprovoked-attack-tourists-dublin-hostel-4626716-May2019/

Battering tourists is now acceptable especially if you've 26 previous convictions.

There's nothing wrong with our justice system...
    I was looking for the suspended part....and yep there it is...vile.
    Scar two people randomly for life and that's the sentence?!!

What is a ‘pro-social’ partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What is a ‘pro-social’ partner?
    I think its a posh way of saying someone who works to help other people e.g. volunteering

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

A worker on 50k a year, who works 39 hours every week, will put 15 minutes of their tax contributions towards all jobseekers expenditure.

That's assuming that nobody on a jobseekers payment has funded their own welfare payments through their taxes (so even 15 minutes is obviously an overstatement).

A small fraction of that time will go towards long-term layabouts (and they definitely do exist, of course).

I wonder how many people spend longer than 15 minutes complaining about this problem, in real life or online?

15 minutes of my time is 15 minutes too much for the likes of her. I'll gladly pay taxes for health, good infrastructure, European style day care (which I benefited from in Finland and know how great it is to not have to pay 1000e a month to a creche) for carers, the disabled etc etc. But for her and her ilk? A nanosecond is too much.

Apparently no physical scarring for the shop worker, which is some relief at least

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Can I take legal action against the state for putting my personal safety at risk by leaving these types to walk the streets ? 158 previous of which several were for assault... 18 months and she will be back on the streets back to her routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What about the cost in terms of Garda time, courts, solicitors, judges, prison, FLA etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

There is no place in society for this scum bag to be here

Just scum and I hope she gets a kettle of boiling water and sugar poured over her face

• Advertisement

Just scum and I hope she gets a kettle of boiling water and sugar poured over her face
    You on the other hand sound like a very peaceful, balanced chap

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

You on the other hand sound like a very peaceful, balanced chap

158 previous convictions and the ugly filthy scum bag **** is still too thick to learn right from wrong

No harm in trying the boiling kettle method on it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The issue here is that this assumes that long-term welfare dependency by working-age adults is confined only to JSA.

Of the able-bodied adults that I know who choose long-term welfare dependency, half of them are on JSA, but the other half are not.

Geuze wrote: »
    The issue here is that this assumes that long-term welfare dependency by working-age adults is confined only to JSA.

Of the able-bodied adults that I know who choose long-term welfare dependency, half of them are on JSA, but the other half are not.
    I've deliberately exaggerated the figure (by assuming everyone on jobseekers allowance or jobseekers benefit is a layabout who has not made contributions (which contradicts the meaning of J- Benefit), and it still only comes to a pathetic fifteen minutes, for a service that will always exist for you and your family members should you need it.

Believe me, the numerical liberties are taken in favour of the outrage, and it still only comes to fifteen minutes, making all of those exaggerated assumptions.

I wonder what the figure for genuine layabouts is. A minute? 30 seconds?

Quite a far cry from 50% of your income figure that often gets thrown around, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

You seem perfectly happy giving your valuable time to these lazy slobs so they can sit around doing nothing all day.

But the majority of us are not. And the amount of time is irrelevant, it could be 15 minutes or 15 seconds. Society expects everyone to contribute, those who don’t want to, should not expect the rest of us to foot their bill.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

But the majority of us are not. And the amount of time is irrelevant, it could be 15 minutes or 15 seconds. Society expects everyone to contribute, those who don’t want to, should not expect the rest of us to foot their bill.

What should we do if they can't or won't contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

seasidedub wrote: »
    Is there any political party who has the balls to grasp the welfare nettle??
    no
    they weep for de most vulnerable in society and dont give two hard boiled shytes for their multiple victims

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Phased reducing down of any welfare until either they get a job, or the welfare goes to zero.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

The Running Man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

no
    they weep for de most vulnerable in society and dont give two hard boiled shytes for their multiple victims

Like most posters here too...

Advertisement