Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime? Really?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I would have loved to come across the two rats and thrown their poxy phones in the Liffey.

FAO ohnonotgmail

This is internet hardman nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,309 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

FAO ohnonotgmail

This is internet hardman nonsense.

I agree but so was the nonsense you posted so dont go feeling all superior

Good, I’m glad for her that it didn’t happen. But it very easily could have. And if that happened to any internet hard chaws like yourself, you wouldn’t brush off the resultant injuries like they were nothing. You’re fooling nobody. Well, I believe you wouldn’t be bothered at witnessing it happening to somebody else. In which case... go you?

We've already dealt with the coulda, woulda, didn'ts of this case. :rolleyes:

I agree but so was the nonsense you posted so dont go feeling all superior

What is hard about going about life in a normal way without feeling terrified all day every day???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

My cousin is quite a small chap, but woudn't be a dwarf, maybe he's 5ft 2, if someone leapfrogged over him would it be a hate crime ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

What is hard about going about life in a normal way without feeling terrified all day every day???
    Where was that said?

This is about a person with dwarfism being leapfrogged over - what are you on about? Or are you making stuff up in your quest to show how lacking in empathy you are?

He leapfrogged over her out of the blue, which would *obviously* give her a fright. She was on her own, unable to defend herself, and oh yeah... she has dwarfism, making it extra difficult to defend herself, and it was the sole reason she was targeted. So you know full well it wasn't just a standard, minor incident.

I don't know that it was a hate crime but i really don't care what some rag or sh1tty website calls it. It was a rotten thing to do to someone, and the edgy downplaying of it (really kills some folk to show empathy) is also rotten.

Where was that said?

This is about a person with dwarfism being leapfrogged over - what are you on about? Or are you making stuff up in your quest to show how lacking in empathy you are?

He leapfrogged over her out of the blue, which would *obviously* give her a fright. She was on her own, unable to defend herself, and oh yeah... she has dwarfism, making it extra difficult to defend herself, and it was the sole reason she was targeted. So you know full well it wasn't just a standard, minor incident.

I don't know that it was a hate crime but i really don't care what some rag or sh1tty website calls it. It was a rotten thing to do to someone, and the edgy downplaying of it (really kills some folk to show empathy) is also rotten.

Point is tho, to do this to ANYONE is asshole behaviour.
    Like I mentioned earlier my cousin is quite small, but not a traditional dwarf.
    He has been slagged all his life, in school and in college.
    It really drove him as he did really well academically and professionally now - but he could never scream hate crime or anything like that.

These lads didn't assault her, she was in no danger, asshole behaviour and all but calling this a hate crime is a dangerous road to go down.

Point is tho, to do this to ANYONE is asshole behaviour.
    Like I mentioned earlier my cousin is quite small, but not a traditional dwarf.
    He has been slagged all his life, in school and in college.
    It really drove him as he did really well academically and professionally now - but he could never scream hate crime or anything like that.

These lads didn't assault her, she was in no danger, asshole behaviour and all but calling this a hate crime is a dangerous road to go down.

they did assault her. you just dont understand what assault is.

they did assault her. you just dont understand what assault is.

My understanding of the article is he cleared her, didn't touch her.
    Didn't verbally abuse or intimidate her.
    Now if you are telling me that's assault then I think you're the one with the problem understanding what assault is.

Again, very dangerous road we go down if this is the definition of assault.
    What about calling someone "fatty" ?
    or speccy four eyes ? is that hate speech to those of us visually impaired ?

Now if you are telling me that's assault then I think you're the one with the problem understanding what assault is.

You dont need to touch somebody for it to be assault. this has been gone over multiple times on this thread alone. It is not that hard to understand. I have bolded the relevant part of the Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/enacted/en/print#sec2
    2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

(a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are talking about a future event that we have no idea of the outcome. I'm talking about an event we do know the outcome of. Your point is nonsense.

Why are you so desperate to avoid answering?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You dont need to touch somebody for it to be assault. this has been gone over multiple times on this thread alone. It is not that hard to understand. I have bolded the relevant part of the Act.

So by that definition you could claim assault for an awful lot of situations.
    I've been in a lot of heated arguments and situations with random people in public over the years. I walked out of them no harm done to me mentally or physically but i could claim based on my belief of the situation s I was assaulted!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I imagine the staredown and being hurdled would be intimidating.

🤪

calling this a hate crime is a dangerous road to go down.

What danger arises from calling this a hate crime ?

Perhaps introducing the savage rape and murder of a young teenager and talk of swinging machetes around family members isn't the way to go about it?

Maybe it is or maybe it isn't. Have you any more compelling suggestions?

So by that definition you could claim assault for an awful lot of situations.
    I've been in a lot of heated arguments and situations with random people in public over the years. I walked out of them no harm done to me mentally or physically but i could claim based on my belief of the situation s I was assaulted!?

this was not an argument. this was not 2 people engaging with each other. this was one person (or rather 2) deciding to pick on somebody because she was smaller than them.

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

Bollox, sure anyone could say that so about passing cars ffs!!

this was not an argument. this was not 2 people engaging with each other. this was one person (or rather 2) deciding to pick on somebody because she was smaller than them.

According to the bolded piece of text if I feel there is a danger of something happening to me in that situation that's assault? Even if it doesn't happen if I deem the situation a threat to me I can claim its assault?

What danger arises from calling this a hate crime ?

Because it's the thin end of the wedge, you call this a hate crime, then you can start calling anything a hate crime.

Hate crime is a stupid expression anyway, it's a crime or it's not.

According to the bolded piece of text if I feel there is a danger of something happening to me in that situation that's assault? Even if it doesn't happen if I deem the situation a threat to me I can claim its assault?

Exactly, this is the can of worms, and like I said, what about a 5ft2 person that gets leapt over, is that an assault too ?
    or would they dismiss that because officially this person is not a "little person" ?

• Advertisement

Bollox, sure anyone could say that so about passing cars ffs!!

I gave you the full link but you clearly did not bother your arse to click on it. This is the next bit of the act. I think you can describe driving a car as "acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life". You are arguing from a position of ignorance. Resolve that problem and you might start posting intelligently.
    (3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They didn't intimidate her? Jesus Christ but this thread is bring the level of contrary here to a new height of stupidity

Where was that said?

I was replying to another poster. If you don't know the context i'd advise reading the thread. :rolleyes:

causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

She didn't notice anything until he landed, after he landed he walked away so why would she believe, on reasonable grounds, that he was going to subject her to anything when he was walking away from her??

Why are you so desperate to avoid answering?

It's in the post you quoted.

Here it is again Your point is nonsense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

She didn't notice anything until he landed, after he landed he walked away so why would she believe, on reasonable grounds, that he was going to subject her to anything when he was walking away from her??

She fecking obviously noticed him going over her head
    'A whoosh followed by a thud'

If somebody landed in front of me after jumping over me i would assume that being attacked was a possibility. It is not a normal thing to do no matter how much you and others try to normalise it.

and just in case you didnt bother to read the article your description is inaccurate. he did walk away after jumping over her but then turned around and walked back towards her.
    "One nudged the other, pointed to me and they both laughed. As a little person, this behaviour is sadly part of my everyday experience. As a teacher, I have a deep yearning to make these moments educational and want to help people learn that it is unkind and unjust to make derogatory remarks about people with dwarfism, but I’ve become accustomed to sensing when it is safe and unsafe to do so. I took a deep breath and kept walking.

"It seemed to happen in slow motion. A whoosh, followed by a thud.

"One of the boys landed in front of me. He had jumped over me, leap-frogged over my head from behind. I couldn’t believe it.

"I couldn’t make sense of it. He walked to the end of the road, turned around and walked past me again with a frightening grin. I was furious and scared."

If somebody landed in front of me after jumping over me i would assume that being attacked was a possibility. It is not a normal thing to do no matter how much you and others try to normalise it.

and just in case you didnt bother to read the article your description is inaccurate. he did walk away after jumping over her but then turned around and walked back towards her.

He walked to the end of the road. Then gave a "frightening grin" :rolleyes:

It was frightening though!!

• Advertisement

Your continuing internet hardman act is very tedious indeed.

Advertisement