Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a man living in his van

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 93 Verified rep I'm living in my van, AMA

1874 wrote: »
    Supportive of the idea of tiny homes and even this, but Id notice and be concerned if I thought someone was living in a van and was just parking up in an estate. I think its a shame there arent places that people can park up and live like this without having to do it off the radar, maybe having access to hook up to water and electric, Id be a bit concerned about burning anything for heat and fumes/ventilation and any gas containers. I know on boats Ive been on, there was an isolated compartment for gas bottles and I think it's similar on campervans? basically the compartment has a vent that allows any potential leaked gas to drain away as its heavier than air, the pipe to the internal cooker is through a sealed section higher in compartment. A leak inside a living space would not be detected by a CO detecter and you are relying on the reliability of that device to work before you may be overcome by asphyxiation. I think many work vehicles have compartments to their sides, which store tools etc, it could be made very discreet, even a sealed box internally with a drain hole and pipe through some hole could be good for the same purpose.

Im not convinced about foilbacked/type bubble insulation, I really think thats better/aimed at radiant heat loss/gain, maybe better than nothing and I dont have experience, but when they insulate houses (properly) it isnt with that stuff. I really think insulation needs depth and thats not the kind of thing that works so well when space is a premium. Id think even a thin layer of Polysic (hard foam, kingspan type material) could be really good for heat loss.

Combined with airtightening the vehicle, would probably mean having some zip sealed access and for emergency egress (escape), could have a section velcro'd? Not sure if it's doable or if house type or other repurposed material could be customised for such a setup??
    Im looking into the ideas for a home, MHVR, basically recovers the heat and introduces fresh air, but would need a fan running constantly, and its not viable unless you're airtight.

What type of vehicle do you have, for me, couldnt do this in anything less than the largest LWB van available, like an Iveco or Mercedes, do you have a B licence? is that useable for this type of vehicle?

What applies to boats is exactly the same as campers - fire and ventilation are the big safety concerns.
    To get my camper cert I have to build a sealed cab for the gas bottle , with a sink hole in the floor in case of leak, as Gas is heavier than air.

Ive used hard insulation glued to the van panel walls, its ok, but not great. so I enhanced it with foil.
    The foil insulation, I was totally skeptical , until I tried some heavy grade industrial stuff, along with Foil tape, you can seal all the air gaps. The tick with that stuff is to create air pockets between two layers of it.
    I found it works great and will redo the whole van with it, a sealed foil tube inside a metal box essentially.
    Emergency exit - I still have access to all doors in teh van, once I do the inner insulation seal over the doors, I will have rip cords for emergency escape, velcro will be the cleanest I think.

I have a long wheel base, german van. For full time living, you need the long wheel base I think, you would be a bit cramped in a medium. so the hassle of LWB is worth it imo.
    Standard licence, 4 wheel, 3.5 tonne max. I wanted a 6 wheel, but that is the Class B, I have a class C, totally legal with 4 weels under 3.5 tn

While I admire this guy trying to save money excreta we also have to look at the tax and services situation. We the public in paying for services in the form of usage fees and taxes are subsiding people like this. So on the whole I appreciate what he is trying to do but it does come at a cost from the settled community and our taxes although indirectly. I dont think this would catch on in big way nor would I like to see it do so.

Dude, I'm in the high tax bracket and pay a metric tonne of taxes in this country, as we all do. I absolutely contribute 50% of my income when you add it all up, to the system, more than a lot of people, and I get virtually nothing in return.

How do you figure I cost the state Ireland anything or Ireland is subsiding me?

If anything I'm subsiding Ireland.

Would you consider writing a how to manual

I have thought of aggregating all the little bits I've picked up, I may do a few You Tube Videos eventually.

And not the super idealized American Camper type videos, Id like to do vids on the reality of doing it in Northern Europe, and in our culture.

Yes basically.

everything costs money , someone pays for it. If its not the van owner its someone else

Why do you presume I contribute nothing? What is your thinking exactly?

Reactions like this is exactly why I need to be low key about all of this.

kiely182 wrote: »
    have you got a backup plan in case you have mechanical problems with the van. ie if it has to go to a garage for a few days to get work done

Basically have to go to a B&B / or family /friends etc if in the right area , it has happened for a few days in the past, but nothing that I could not handle.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you. Seeing as the current job has you tied to big town / city location whats the plan once a small rural cottage fixer upper is bought?

I want to get a fixer upper, park up the van on the land, live out of the van while I fix up the house, although the van will now be stationary on my own plot every night.
    I should be able to relocate my work no problem to the country.

I want to get the house as off grid and self sufficient as possibly, so in the end I can work part time, and actually do the things I like to do in life.

Ive no kids, and if its staying that way, then I want to be in a situation where I do not have to work full time in a few years.

Im playing the game, and doing the rat race thing happily at the moment, but its a means to an end. Work to live, not live to work.

Well, I want to work hard everyday, but at, like, growing my own veg, or fixing my own roof etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Any questions I had were covered by other posters, just wanted to say this thread is a fantastic read.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

I want to get a fixer upper, park up the van on the land, live out of the van while I fix up the house, although the van will now be stationary on my own plot every night.
    I should be able to relocate my work no problem to the country.

I want to get the house as off grid and self sufficient as possibly, so in the end I can work part time, and actually do the things I like to do in life.

Ive no kids, and if its staying that way, then I want to be in a situation where I do not have to work full time in a few years.

Im playing the game, and doing the rat race thing happily at the moment, but its a means to an end. Work to live, not live to work.

Well, I want to work hard everyday, but at, like, growing my own veg, or fixing my own roof etc

I hear ya! Best of luck with it and keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Fair play, this is pretty cool. If it works for you why the hell not.

Do you park it down by the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkvanlife

I'm in the process of building my van at the moment. I have a similar plan. Live in the van to save up for a small plot or wreck of a house. Best thing I got was a wood stove with an oven built in. Like you I have a vsr and solar for the batteries.
    I think this will become more common over the next few years. If there's another economic crash, you still have a home even if it is a van.
    Best thing is to be able to wake up on a beach one day and in a woods another.
    Good luck with your van ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

While I admire this guy trying to save money excreta we also have to look at the tax and services situation. We the public in paying for services in the form of usage fees and taxes are subsiding people like this. So on the whole I appreciate what he is trying to do but it does come at a cost from the settled community and our taxes although indirectly. I dont think this would catch on in big way nor would I like to see it do so.

By that rational, people who have emigrated are bleeding the country dry....
    And not wishing to derail the thread, but talk about "the settled community" subsidising the OP attempts to put him into a category that has nothing to do with nim

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkvanlife

What taxes is he dodging?
    Don't confuse someone who works, pays taxes and doesn't cause trouble with the cousins.
    There will always be a begrudger who doesn't like anything new or any change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Great thread and very interesting subject matter. I work in a place that has paid for parking outside that is free from 8pm-8am and I do occasionally pass camper vans parked up when I arrive to work which I presume is someone sleeping there overnight. I havent paid attention to ordinary vans though - I must have a look!

I have some questions:

How do you have internet access?

Have you been sick since you began and what would you do if you were? (This question because I had a tummy bug 2 weeks ago and for about 2 days I could not be away from a loo and between loo sessions I was worn out and could only lie down and drink water).

I have an idea for you that could be useful - we use a pet sitter when we go away, and we usually ask them to do a combo of twice daily visits and 3 or 4 overnights in a week. If you advertised yourself as a pet sitter you could use their driveway while they were away and if asked to do overnights you could sleep indoors too. I mean, you could probably tell people that what you were doing - I know I would be delighted for our pet sitter to be parked in the driveway when we are away, make it look like we are there. It would only work if you were an animal lover yourself and 100% reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Well done , and continued success saving.

Is finding level ground a big prerequisite?, and if the ground isn't level which way do you prefer the bed to lean ?

Personally if I was ever fitting out a sleep van,the first luxury on my list would be some sort of air suspension that could be controlled to level the van , or if I bought a camper it's the first extra I'd fit , either that or maybe a bed leveller !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fair play OP, you're making a great job of dealing with the whole rental sh1t show. It saddens me that people have to do what you're doing in the first place, it shows just how broken our housing market actually is. But Im also in huge admiration of you for getting on with it on your own terms instead of moaning about it.

I've an Australian mate in London who works as an overland tour bus driver. He is soon to begin a van conversion before driving it all the way back home to Sydney. His intention is to then sell it in Sydney where you get very good prices for van conversions compared to the UK. Hoping to join him for a few weeks along the way, it sounds like a great way to see lots of places for cheap.

I have my heart set on the little wrecked cottage, move the van in and do the house up. Ill always have the van /vans, but its all to get a house of some description in the end.

Is the plan to live in the van for a total of four years before you buy a cottage? Or will it take longer? And what is your target savings amount before you can purchase the cottage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I have a long wheel base, german van. For full time living, you need the long wheel base I think, you would be a bit cramped in a medium. so the hassle of LWB is worth it imo.
    Standard licence, 4 wheel, 3.5 tonne max. I wanted a 6 wheel, but that is the Class B, I have a class C, totally legal with 4 weels under 3.5 tn

So the 3.5 tonne max is for the carrying weight of the vehicle, just looking that up. You wanted a 6 wheel, ie 4 wheel rear axis? I lost you, does the B licence still cover that?And the whole set up comes in under 3500kg?
    Did you have to get a CVRT? are they difficult to get?

I wondered had I any additional benefits of getting my licence in 1996, I saw that UK B licence drivers can drive with 7500 from that year, but it changed in 1997, I still have my original licence so I'll have a look but I think it was 3500 back then too in ireland, I just know when renewing licences I had a category accidentally removed and it took a bit of effort to get them to admit the mistake and put it back.

I dont think I could do it continually temporary, but I wouldnt mind having a setup that I could sleep in a vehicle, bring camping gear and maybe have it so I could have a fold away bed space or a space to put bikes or even a motorbike.

Interesting, and all that said,
    I still think the other poster is entitled to their view, Id have liked if they replied as to what they thought the state was losing out on or how that affects the rest of us day to day, I think that kind of debate can change peoples mind rather than the way it can go in boards, just shooing them off if we (posters all of us) dont agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like you’ve a head start in case of zombie apocalypse. Have you considered adding cool spikey wheel scythes, in preparation for just such an eventuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Fair play OP.

Feck the begrudgers.

Sure I suppose they want the OP to hand over 80% of his net to a REIT to rent a shoebox.

Man is paying PAYE, PRSI and USC. Pays for his waste and buys his water. Pays road tax.

Like the longterm plan of off grid as much as possible. The problem (and upside) in my experience is kids. I was down to no bins, no internet, no phone bill, €40 a month ESB and the house more or less paid for. Couple kids and tis all only going one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

1874 wrote: »
    I think its a shame there arent places that people can park up and live like this without having to do it off the radar, maybe having access to hook up to water and electric,

Once you go down the "official" route then all regulations would need to apply. Planning, rates, waste disposal, insurance, disabled access etc. etc., and the private operator would need to make a profit. Before you know it the charge could be €70 a week (just picking a ball park number)

Then you would have a homeless family living in one of them and Sinn Fein and Paul Murphy down protesting.

People would end up staying in them for a year and claiming squatters rights etc.

Recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Croagh Patrick, not the main car park, but down the lane to the sea side, burnt out old church on shore with small car park.
    I had a very odd night there, drove out of there quickly at about 4.30 in the morning spooked, never done that before or since.

Hi there OP

Your doing a great job on this thread, its one of the best we have had in my opinion.

I live an off grid life in the mountains of Kerry (we are still currently connected but that will change soon - we get power from solar with large batteries with hydro and wind coming this year). I admire you for living your dream, its what I did and I will never regret it, the old world is now a long way away now.

Anyhow can you elaborate on what scared you away from the car park ? Its just that I like a good spooky tale ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Litterly my ideal man. I've looked in to this myself. Tiny living vans. I have pass for swimming pool so showers wouldn't be short of. They work 6 am till 10pm. Only what's holding me back is the fact I have toddler and my beliefs would be found upon. Possibly beeing teased at school later. Kids are horrible to each other sometimes. But defenatley will be doing this when he is older.

Great thread OP and best wishes- I hope your dream house comes soon :)

A few questions for you

1. So you say you make the best coffee- what beans are you using?

2. When you’re driving around does all your stuff not get thrown around the van or how do you prevent that from happening?

3. How much do you reckon you’ve saved on rent in the last 2 years?

4. If there were all year camp sites with a decent negotiated rate per month like the have throughout Europe, would you consider using that instead?

5. You mentioned the general benefits of camper vaning, If I wanted to get a standard small camper van for leisure use, what sort of money would I need? Secondhand of course.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

I have to say this is one of the most fascinating threads I've ever read on Boards; i admire the OP's spirit & determination & am not all that surprised about the begrudgery from some quarters. There is a certain appeal about what he's doing & i imagine that it certainly puts things into perspective.

O.P. what is the worst thing/experience you've had since you began this?

What is the best experience since you began this?

What do you do for big events? i.e. Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, weddings etc?

What do you miss the most about 'settled' living apart from your dogs?

Do you think you have learned something new about yourself?

Thanks again & hope it works out well.

P.S. as others have said some YouTube video's would be the business but maybe upload them after you have the forever home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Fair play OP, I look at all the sh1te we've managed to fill every crevice of our house with. Would love to chuck it all out and go basic, but kids and Mrs G! might object a tad! :rolleyes:

A couple of questions please.....

You mentioned earlier about eating well without any take aways. Can you give us a rundown of what you've cooked in the last week please?

Have you given your van a name? If yes, can you share it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

OP,

I would go even more extreme. Theres still lot of fat to be cut from your budget,
    Bog roll and milk - they can be expensive. Catch my drift?

The cottage ruin sounds possible, but its hard to find a bargain, without local knowledge. I am talking sub 50K.

Govt dont want people going off grid, or going against the mainstream. They want people in debt, working, paying taxes, and being a good consumer.

Yes, this is the best post I have seen on Boards for a while.

p.s. do you miss paying 1500 per month in rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

everything costs money , someone pays for it. If its not the van owner its someone else

Why do you presume I contribute nothing? What is your thinking exactly?

Reactions like this is exactly why I need to be low key about all of this.

Where did I say you contribute to nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Where did I say you contribute to nothing ?

Would you ever click unfollow on the thread and leave it to function as it was intended.

There is no shortage of threads where you can go on with pedantic arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭popcornbowl

Is anyone else spotting high vans everywhere now and wondering if it's the OP?!

Great AMA, best of luck with it all OP, not an easy decision to make and definitely takes some balls! Definitely think a lot more with be following in your footsteps in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Hi OP, great thread. don't think I'd have the bravery to go this far, mainly because of the toilet situation as I literally go every half hour so I'd imagine I'd have to be emptying it too often.

My ideal world would be one of those mini houses in the middle of nowhere but that's very hard to achieve as even sites are too expensive. It would probably work out cheaper to buy a derelict building and knock it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Hi OP, great thread. don't think I'd have the bravery to go this far, mainly because of the toilet situation as I literally go every half hour so I'd imagine I'd have to be emptying it too often.

My ideal world would be one of those mini houses in the middle of nowhere but tha

t's very hard to achieve as even sites are too expensive. It would probably work out cheaper to buy a derelict building and knock it down.

Disposing of urine shouldn't be a problem, whenever its raining just let it flow out under the van, or drain it over grass on a dry day. Its not polluting or hazardous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement