Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bagel Factory

Options
  • 01-05-2019 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Noticed today, that the Bagel Factory is gone. It's closed with Sale/Lease signs on the windows. Anyone know if they are gone for good or have they moved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Town>Dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Sounds like Chopped has closed all of a sudden as well. That didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

iseegirls wrote: »
    Sounds like Chopped has closed all of a sudden as well. That didn't last long.

No way? Jesus everything is going downhill. Not good to see places closing down and they spending hundreds of thousands opening new areas in a shopping centre and we cant keep 2 businesses already in town..

Apparently the owner of the bagels factory has a very ill family member and needed to go away to mind her or something. No more mexican bagels :(

Jeez that place had bad luck. A young girl that worked there only died a year or two ago aswell.

No way? Jesus everything is going downhill. Not good to see places closing down and they spending hundreds of thousands opening new areas in a shopping centre and we cant keep 2 businesses already in town..

Apparently the owner of the bagels factory has a very ill family member and needed to go away to mind her or something. No more mexican bagels :(

Jeez that place had bad luck. A young girl that worked there only died a year or two ago aswell.

Absolutely loved the Bagel factory. Staff were always kind and the deals were pretty good. It sort of a unique niche in the city. Definitely will be missed and I find it very sad it had it had to close. Wish the best for the owners.

Metalman, chopped, and bagel factory in recent weeks. I hope this isn't the sign of something bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Economic recessions persist for so long in Waterford that they overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Absolutely loved the Bagel factory. Staff were always kind and the deals were pretty good. It sort of a unique niche in the city. Definitely will be missed and I find it very sad it had it had to close. Wish the best for the owners.

Me too, Nice staff, Nice bagel, reasonable price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

I was very surprised to see it was closed yesterday. The staff were always very friendly, I hope they will reopen somewhere else soon, as the place always seemed to be pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Metalman, chopped, and bagel factory in recent weeks. I hope this isn't the sign of something bad.

2/3 were new shops, and a lot of new businesses go under in their first year. Sometimes things just don't work out.

However, what's the typical person who's knocking around Waterford city centre on a Tuesday lunchtime, or after the shops close every evening?

In terms of those working in town, would it be fair to say that most are those who are working in the shops themselves? There's not a lot of residential and there isn't a lot of office workers. If you had more office workers you'd have more people out looking for lunch. Shoppers are unlikely to be stopping for lunch if they're only popping in for a couple of hours, particularly on weekdays where a lot of them are probably retired people.

Similarly in terms of the pub, who'd be down around the Quay on a midweek night? A small volume of residents, maybe some people from the hotels, but it appears that there's a huge exodus from the city centre once the shops close. That would definitely make trading in town that bit more difficult than somewhere like the Dunmore Road for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hardybuck wrote: »
    2/3 were new shops, and a lot of new businesses go under in their first year. Sometimes things just don't work out.

However, what's the typical person who's knocking around Waterford city centre on a Tuesday lunchtime, or after the shops close every evening?

In terms of those working in town, would it be fair to say that most are those who are working in the shops themselves? There's not a lot of residential and there isn't a lot of office workers. If you had more office workers you'd have more people out looking for lunch. Shoppers are unlikely to be stopping for lunch if they're only popping in for a couple of hours, particularly on weekdays where a lot of them are probably retired people.

Similarly in terms of the pub, who'd be down around the Quay on a midweek night? A small volume of residents, maybe some people from the hotels, but it appears that there's a huge exodus from the city centre once the shops close. That would definitely make trading in town that bit more difficult than somewhere like the Dunmore Road for example.

A few undesirables and teenage groups would be prob frequent hangers around in red square after the shops close. Hopefully more tourists will be around the area for the summer.

For a city centre we have a low number of pubs (Gingerman, City Arms and JK Walshs) which they could be absolutely dead after 6pm on a weekday but do a lot of lunch trade during the day. Tbh Tullys/downes and Tom Mahers would not be city centre but would be livelier esp tullys weekdays and would have an ok crowd going in. Pubs on the quay/Viking triangle can be quite mixed in clientele but reg/Uisce Beatha/Katy Barry's/Itty Bittys are nice places. Jordons is a legendary place but something about it I'm sure off

The high street restaurants do ok in the evening time as do to an extent McDonalds/Supermacs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    A few undesirables and teenage groups would be prob frequent hangers around in red square after the shops close. Hopefully more tourists will be around the area for the summer.

For a city centre we have a low number of pubs (Gingerman, City Arms and JK Walshs) which they could be absolutely dead after 6pm on a weekday but do a lot of lunch trade during the day. Tbh Tullys/downes and Tom Mahers would not be city centre but would be livelier esp tullys weekdays and would have an ok crowd going in. Pubs on the quay/Viking triangle can be quite mixed in clientele but reg/Uisce Beatha/Katy Barry's/Itty Bittys are nice places. Jordons is a legendary place but something about it I'm sure off

The high street restaurants do ok in the evening time as do to an extent McDonalds/Supermacs

Decent overview of the status quo.

So it appears that unless the mix of businesses in city centre changes to include more offices, and more residential units open in there too, then it will be very difficult for the pubs and many of the lunch spots to keep business going during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Sad to hear this - the stars and stripes was a lovely sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Despite all the closures, we still have the likes of Gino Gellatnai the ice cream shop near Dunnes still open and doing very well all year round! Ice cream must really be a big thing for some people. Im delighted its doing so well but if I had to put bets on any shop closing soon after creation it was that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Didn't realise Chopped was gone. Still I loved the Bagel Factory, the staff were great and so was the food

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

The Bagel Factory is owned by Abrakebabra so there's potential it may join their other units in City Square to replace Chopped.

Went into abrakebabra the other day for something, they said at 5-50pm that they were only doing takeaways.

I'm pretty sure the older one served up to longer hours?

Went into abrakebabra the other day for something, they said at 5-50pm that they were only doing takeaways.

I'm pretty sure the older one served up to longer hours?

They need Des Bishop back in there to sort things out.

jesus how things have changed in the area since that show.

That was were Apache is now, the Kentucky and another chipper (Moes i think) was across where Abra ended up. There was a shop where Centra is now. Revolution was only been build

Wonder how Hilbillies will do down in the new unit ??. Prob another Kebab place will move into the old premises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Id love to see Des back in another few shops around the city, he was great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Chopped was struggling a while. They had very limited staff and stock as a cost saving exercise which compounded the problem as they couldn't provided appropriate service when busy.

But the main issue in Waterford is extremely high rents and rates. The amount businesses need to make just to cover rent and rates is eye watering. Once you add payroll, PRSI , stock, services etc its extremely hard to make a living unless you own the building.

The only businesses that can pay these high rents/rates are and operates on low profit margins are chains. However they generally need more floor space than the average commercial space in Waterford City. Hence the high number of empty retail units in and around city centre

I have heard stories of commercial landlords preferring to leave their units empty rather than lowering rents.

I was seriously considering opening up my own business in Waterford City but have had serious second thoughts when looking into the overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

PTH2009 wrote: »
    jesus how things have changed in the area since that show.

That was were Apache is now, the Kentucky and another chipper (Moes i think) was across where Abra ended up. There was a shop where Centra is now. Revolution was only been build

Wonder how Hilbillies will do down in the new unit ??. Prob another Kebab place will move into the old premises

Is that what's happening? Hillbillies is going in where Abra was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Chopped was struggling a while. They had very limited staff and stock as a cost saving exercise which compounded the problem as they couldn't provided appropriate service when busy.

But the main issue in Waterford is extremely high rents and rates. The amount businesses need to make just to cover rent and rates is eye watering. Once you add payroll, PRSI , stock, services etc its extremely hard to make a living unless you own the building.

The only businesses that can pay these high rents/rates are and operates on low profit margins are chains. However they generally need more floor space than the average commercial space in Waterford City. Hence the high number of empty retail units in and around city centre

I have heard stories of commercial landlords preferring to leave their units empty rather than lowering rents.

I was seriously considering opening up my own business in Waterford City but have had serious second thoughts when looking into the overheads.

What's the logic behind that?

Adyx wrote: »
    Is that what's happening? Hillbillies is going in where Abra was?

Yep

I'm not happy about my experience in Abrakebabra. I felt belittled and beguiled by the lack of awareness for me, the paying customer.

I'd like to open my own rival chain in the now former premises of "Chopped" that sells identical foods in a passive aggressive response to dominate the kebab chain market.

Thanks.

Few quote from the City Square manager in the News & Star this week regarding Chopped:

"model didn't really suit a shopping centre"

"unfortunately the offer really only fills that 12.30 to 2.30pm lunchtime slot and when you have a shopping centre that opens from 9am till late it wasn't sustainable"

"it just happens that the appetite wasn't there in Waterford for the Chopped offerings"

Also stated that a few companies have been in touch about the vacant unit, but I'd believe that when I see it - considering the amount of vacant units in City Square that have been lying idle for over a year, especially in Nexts old space - about 10 years.

What's the logic behind that?

Really the not much logic at all. But a belief that someone else will pay the asked rental price

Few quote from the City Square manager in the News & Star this week regarding Chopped:

"model didn't really suit a shopping centre"

"unfortunately the offer really only fills that 12.30 to 2.30pm lunchtime slot and when you have a shopping centre that opens from 9am till late it wasn't sustainable"

"it just happens that the appetite wasn't there in Waterford for the Chopped offerings"

Also stated that a few companies have been in touch about the vacant unit, but I'd believe that when I see it - considering the amount of vacant units in City Square that have been lying idle for over a year, especially in Nexts old space - about 10 years

I think Chopped would work in Waterford, it was just a terrible location. No one is going into the city square in the evenings for food.

If it was on Michael street even or a street with decent footfall it would have done much better in my opinion.

tbh never saw that Chopped could do well there, and every time I passed there was nobody or very few people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

Chopped said this to me on Twitter:
    “We have taken the regrettable decision to close our location in Waterford. We will continue to seek franchise opportunities and aim to open another outlet in the area as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. HQ”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Chopped is the most ridiculous food fad ever in this country. Wtf is the point of pulverising your food into tiny bits like that before eating it anyway? Horrible. No loss!

Advertisement