Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Necro wrote:
    I don't understand your point? There are no 'flanks' to attack per se, they move in a large mass as is evident from when they were standing in front of the flames. Are you suggesting the Dothraki try to swing around the sides - because the mass would just shift fairly quickly and overwhelm them like they did with the main forces.

I made the comment while watching that the wights move more like the sea rushing up onto the sand than anything resembling human.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭billyhead

What I would love to know is where did Ayra come from when she killed the NK i.e its like she was right above him and then came straight down. Also how come the NKs lieutenants didn't see here rock up towards him. The death of the NK was all a bit silly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I made the comment while watching that the wights move more like the sea rushing up onto the sand than anything resembling human.

Yeah, that's what I was kind of trying to get at. Comparing the undead horde to a military force is a bit silly as they don't care if they get hurt or trampled, unless you burn them or stab them with dragonglass they just keep coming. Trying to brute force through them would have horses and men atop them dragged under.

But meh, I don't want to keep banging on about this any more. There are no tactics in any book or online that would assist an assault on a massive undead force as they aren't real :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

Necro wrote: »
    I don't understand your point? There are no 'flanks' to attack per se, they move in a large mass as is evident from when they were standing in front of the flames. Are you suggesting the Dothraki try to swing around the sides - because the mass would just shift fairly quickly and overwhelm them like they did with the main forces.

And it's not width, it's depth I'm referring to. To attempt to flank them would mean travelling a huge distance, at speed on horseback. The horses would be shattered by the time they reached the rear and the mass would simply turn and hit them hard regardless.

Anyways the Dothraki aren't exactly trained cavalry. Someone compared them to the Mongols/Huns and that's more appropriate.

Unless they're in a circle there is no way not to have flanks. If your're talking depth then you just have flanks that are miles long. Regardless though, there's also no need for them to flank the undead army or go to the rear. Wight's have no ranged weapons. Mounted cavalry ride to within bow shot, shoot off a couple of rounds and retreat. Repeat as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

billyhead wrote: »
    What I would love to know is where did Ayra come from when she killed the NK i.e its like she was right above him and then came straight down. Also how come the NKs lieutenants didn't see here rock up towards him. The death of the NK was all a bit silly.

she's a ninja assassin with magical powers. use your imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Lads it’s getting comical. Never released boards was so full of screenplay writers or military commanders. They should take back the FCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

For all that are complaining about Arya killing the NK;
    Remember that Sam Tarly killed a walker first

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ckeng wrote: »
    Unless they're in a circle there is no way not to have flanks. If your're talking depth then you just have flanks that are miles long. Regardless though, there's also no need for them to flank the undead army or go to the rear. Wight's have no ranged weapons. Mounted cavalry ride to within bow shot, shoot off a couple of rounds and retreat. Repeat as necessary.

Once more, with feeling...

They are not an army, they are a mass of undead who continuously push forward.

They don't tire, they don't stop. If they don't have weapons they rip you apart with brute force, or nails, or teeth.

Trying to compare a military force to them and this idea of flanking a horde is insane. They'd simply turn and overwhelm them, as is what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

Yeah, that's what I was kind of trying to get at. Comparing the undead horde to a military force is a bit silly as they don't care if they get hurt or trampled, unless you burn them or stab them with dragonglass they just keep coming. Trying to brute force through them would have horses and men atop them dragged under.

But meh, I don't want to keep banging on about this any more. There are no tactics in any book or online that would assist an assault on a massive undead force as they aren't real :pac:

Posted my last reply before I read this post. I disagree, I just think you're reading the wrong books on tactics. But hey, it's a world with dragons and undead and Ed Sheeran so who really cares. There are far more important things to be doing than going round in circles with me. :)

ckeng wrote: »
    Posted my last reply before I read this post. I disagree, I just think you're reading the wrong books on tactics. But hey, it's a world with dragons and undead and Ed Sheeran so who really cares. There are far more important things to be doing than going round in circles with me. :)

I'm not reading any books on tactics :pac:

You are correct in a conventional sense of warfare but comparing an army of undead to an organised unit doesn't work. You're talking about mindless killing machines who don't feel any pain. But yeah, I think we'll just agree to differ :)

• Advertisement

This is getting stupid.

You don't need to be a military fuking commander to know that siege weapons go behind, trenches go in front, and your light cavalry doesn't charge the enemy while in a defensive position.

If you ignore these facts, or just accept them and don't let them hinder your enjoyment, cool. More power too you for having absolutely zero standards. Don't dare mock us who do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

These are war horses though, bred for battle not reconnaissance
    War horses are bred to carry heavy cavalry - these were Mongol style light cavalry who spent generations continuously wandering a continent- sounds like the perfect reconnaissance type horse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's a zombie army, commanded by an icy undead king who rides on a zombie dragon.

Once more, with feeling...

They are not an army, they are a mass of undead who continuously push forward.

They don't tire, they don't stop. If they don't have weapons they rip you apart with brute force, or nails, or teeth.

Trying to compare a military force to them and this idea of flanking a horde is insane. They'd simply turn and overwhelm them, as is what happened.

Throw all the feeling you want at it but does not change the fact that if the dothraki stayed in reach of ranged weapons only they could have run the length of the Undead taking out hundreds on each pass, until they force a charge.
    Then retreat drawing them into range of large ranged weapons. Then yes circle around and keep the attacks going from the sides while archers and infantry dealt with the frontal charge. The NK army was focused on the castle and narrowed in for that.

Trenches further out with archers actually firing through them. The undead stood looking through the fire for an age.

the NK army may have an advantage of berseker style rage attack but they have no formation, no defense, no caution. You keep assuming that just because they have no fear that any tactics will fail, when all that needs be done is whittle away at them constantly, bottle neck, arrange defenses smarter.

They were always going to be overwhelmed but the point was to force the Night King to make his move. As it stands it was only through sheer over confidence of the NK and the magic of Deus Ex Arya that contrived a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Throw all the feeling you want at it but does not change the fact that if the dothraki stayed in reach of ranged weapons only they could have run the length of the Undead taking out hundreds on each pass, until they force a charge.
    Then retreat drawing them into range of large ranged weapons. Then yes circle around and keep the attacks going from the sides. The NK army was focused on the castle and narrowed in for that.

Trenches further out with archers actually firing at them. The undead stood looking through the fire for an age.

the NK army may have an advantage of berseker style rage attack but they have no formation, no defense, no caution. You keep assuming that just because they have no fear that any tactics will fail, when all that needs be done is whittle away at them constantly, bottle neck, arrange defenses smarter.

hey were always going to be overwhelmed but the point was to force the Night King to make his move. As it stands it was only through sheer over confidence of the NK and the magic of Deus Ex Arya that contrived a victory.

And after all that, the NK would raise his hands in the air like he just dont care and lift the newly undead and those not dropped by dragonglass and fire.

Rewatching a 3rd time, big shout out to the 2 Wildlings left standing at the end, standing on the roof of a hut inside the walls of Winterfells with bodies all around them

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's a zombie army, commanded by an icy undead king who rides on a zombie dragon (of a show that had better standards once).

there you go

razorblunt wrote: »
    And after all that, the NK would raise his hands in the air like he just dont care and lift the newly undead and those not dropped by dragonglass and fire.

Lose 1,000s to gain several dozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

It's kinda funny, everybody has complained about how the show has lost its complexity in favour of becoming a straight up fantasy show full of mindless action in the last few seasons. A few of us suggest how they could have made the battle more interesting and dare I say it complex and nows it's "why are you complicating things,they are undead, it's a Fantasy show".

There's nowt as strange as folk as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

It's kinda funny, everybody has complained about how the show has lost its complexity in favour of becoming a straight up fantasy show full of mindless action in the last few seasons. A few of us suggest how they could have made the battle more interesting and dare I say it complex and nows it's "why are you complicating things,they are undead, it's a Fantasy show".

There's nowt as strange as folk as they say.

There's different types of viewers imo, when I say I miss the complexity of the show I miss the political aspect the actual "game" of thrones, the people in rooms saying clever things, those magic two hander scenes, like Cersei and Robert, Varys and Littlefinger, Tryion and Tywin, even Tywin and Arya in those scenes at Harrenhall. Those things to me are what make the show great, and all of those type scenes in the last few seasons have been lacking a little something for my taste (but I still love the show)

I literally don't care about battle scenes at all, there's nothing about two armies charging at each other that interests me at all. When I do a rewatch I often skip forward through battle scenes cos to me it's the kind of thing that once you've seen once or twice already you don't need to see again. Because of that I'm willing to forgive what others might see as tactical errors cos I'm like grand let's watch this spectacle and get it over with so we can see the good stuff. I appreciate that there are those who think only the battle scenes are any use so they probably experience the same frustration as I do when the dialogue isn't as sharp as I want it to be.

My point is we don't all want or care about the same things, essentially we're all watching different shows!! So arguing about it is lunacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lose 1,000s to gain several dozen?

There were undead still pouring into winterfell (fell before the walls) at the end when they all crumbled.

• Advertisement

There's different types of viewers imo, when I say I miss the complexity of the show I miss the political aspect the actual "game" of thrones, the people in rooms saying clever things, those magic two hander scenes, like Cersei and Robert, Varys and Littlefinger, Tryion and Tywin, even Tywin and Arya in those scenes at Harrenhall. Those things to me are what make the show great, and all of those type scenes in the last few seasons have been lacking a little something for my taste (but I still love the show)

Agree with you re: the dialogue. It's definitely suffered from the post book phase in that respect. As I said, it's a crying shame Martin couldn't have finished the novels before the show caught up.

It's still excellent - just not at the early season standards.

There were undead still pouring into winterfell (fell before the walls) at the end when they all crumbled.

Exactly, by their actions they did not do half enough damage to the NK army and fed more into the ranks

Agree with you re: the dialogue. It's definitely suffered from the post book phase in that respect. As I said, it's a crying shame Martin couldn't have finished the novels before the show caught up.

That we agree on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The anachronisms, for want of a better word, have really increased. Couple of clangers this week, Lady Mormont's "we're done here" springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

duploelabs wrote: »
    It's a zombie army, commanded by an icy undead king who rides on a zombie dragon.

Getting more of an African swallow vibe off things personally. How dare I!

Most likely dead dothraki. Even if previously existing (hardly credible), it was that density of wights that would be perfect to mow down by dothraki.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Visually great - good battle and all that but over all I felt it was woeful --- 8 years building up the WWs /NK and a little pin brick and he's gone with no insight into what he was after and all the other loose plot lines surrounding his story. I know the real story is about the fight for the Iron Throne but come on!! - If this was their grand plan they would have been better off just giving a whole season over the the WWs/NK and just be done with it instead of building it up like they did.

Hopefully Martin addresses all this in the final book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

fash wrote: »
    Most likely dead dothraki. Even if previously existing (hardly credible), it was that density of wights that would be perfect to mow down by dothraki.

I'd go with the opposite for the Dothraki, once they charge into the swarm of dead they come to a standstill. They take out the first few dead in front of them but get easily overrun. Following horsemen crash into them (it being pitch black save for the flaming swords). Dead climb over each other to get to the next live Dothraki.
    It'd be like running into water on a beach, great speed initaily but quickly lose momentum and as you get deeper the strength/pressure of the water knocks you over.

The density of dead was ideal for the trebuchets and dragons to blitz, and archers couldn't miss once in range

paulbok wrote: »
    I'd go with the opposite for the Dothraki, once they charge into the swarm of dead they come to a standstill. They take out the first few dead in front of them but get easily overrun. Following horsemen crash into them (it being pitch black save for the flaming swords). Dead climb over each other to get to the next live Dothraki.
    It'd be like running into water on a beach, great speed initaily but quickly lose momentum and as you get deeper the strength/pressure of the water knocks you over.

The density of dead was ideal for the trebuchets and dragons to blitz, and archers couldn't miss once in range

I'm talking the Wight stragglers who were still walking into the castle while the NK was in the gods wood

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm actually glad that I can watch an episode of GOT without needing to analyse every single decision made or feel the need to have everything 100% make sense. If I was like that I would have ruined one of the best TV experiences ever.

Sometimes you just need to enjoy something the way that it is presented. Is it perfect? No. But it's still miles ahead of everything else.

Advertisement