Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Liam O wrote: »
    I do think the character centric nature of the previous episodes really helped but there was a ridiculous amount of plot armour and while I can accept that the trained fighters would be better equipped to survive, the fact Sam did and Lyanna Mormont killed a giant before she did (why wasn't she in the crypts?), kind of made me struggle slightly with the suspension of disbelief.

She answered that herself in the previous episode when Jorah advised her to go down.
    Sam should really have been done away with when Jon saw him crying in a ball, he even left him to go after Bran and Sam was swarmed, no idea how they'll explain he survived unless they just conveniently forget.

awec wrote: »
    Was the Night King motivation ever explained in the show or the books? I can’t remember.

The WWs are barely mentioned in the books and a Night King hasn't been mentioned.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

Pter wrote: »
    Hah bang on - thought the same when watching! :D

He has previous in drawing too much attention to the music... I thought the same about the music in the season 6 finale in the lead up to the sept getting wildfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

fitz wrote: »
    He has previous in drawing too much attention to the music... I thought the same about the music in the season 6 finale in the lead up to the sept getting wildfired.

Well id have to disagree with you there, but only because that particular song is one of my favourite pieces. I listen to it in work if im zoned in on a project. That probably says something about me, given the music was originally set to a mass murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Official episode name was "The Long Night" not Battle of Winterfell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I see complaints that more main characters did not die in this episode. I just don't see the point in building up a character like Dany, Jon or Jaime for years and investing in their arcs...to just have them whimper out as they are overcome by a horde of nameless wights on the battlefield. The deaths of major characters in the past have served the story on a significant level, but death-by-wights would have been a bit arbitrary and just 'we need to kill this character cause it's nearly the end'.
    Well, do we know that everyone survived? I just watched the end again, and the next episode preview, and there was one face I did not see anywhere:
    Samwell Tarly

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭5star02707

NOT TODAY!!!!

Gahh that line from Melissandre on Season 3 when she met Arya:

brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes!

Makes sense now! Also SAME SPOT where Arya received the dagger + Arya sneaking up on Jon!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

Well id have to disagree with you there, but only because that particular song is one of my favourite pieces. I listen to it in work if im zoned in on a project. That probably says something about me, given the music was originally set to a mass murder.

I've no problem with the piece itself, I just felt at the time it was too outside the canon he'd established for the score of the show, and it jarred me out of the scene.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Im thinking there is a Bran tie in and we may still find out.

Cant see the 1 flashback of the NK being created being all we find out about his past.

Hopefully. He was a mysterious character, it would be a bit frustrating if we don't get any back story whatsoever, other than knowing he was created by the children of the forest.

Like why is he so intent on killing the one eyed raven?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

bnt wrote: »
    Well, do we know that everyone survived? I just watched the end again, and the next episode preview, and there was one face I did not see anywhere:
    Samwell Tarly

He's there.

Visible in the trailer in a brief shot behind Danny, both carrying a torch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm avoiding reading any posts as I'm currently halfway through watching this but it's shot in such darkness and fog I feel like I cant see half of what's happening. The snappy cuts between the action doesn't help either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Waiting for Someone to come out and say that the White walkers were a climate change allegory and Arya being the one to kill them shows that it’s young people that will solve it. LAAAAAMMMMMMEE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thoroughly enjoyed it whilst being massively let down at the same time.

Wight dragon at the end who came back, was that Viserion (who I presumed was "killed" in the 2 on 1 dragon fight) or a wight Rhaegal (who may or may not have been "killed" in said dragon fight)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

He's there.

Visible in the trailer in a brief shot behind Danny, both carrying a torch
    You have to pause the video to actually see anything, but OK. I wasn't sure about Tormund, but he's in the same shot at far left.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Okay.

So I can put some more coherent thoughts as to why I didnt like that. I will try to put the criticisms in chronological order.

1. Game of Thrones is character driven and no character is safe. That was the most enjoyable part of the show. You just knew that no one was safe and it added to the tension. Ned Stark. Robb Stark. Stannis. Jon Snow. Tywin Lannister. Jamie's right hand. The Hound. The Mountain. Oberyn Martell. etc. I really really enjoyed the Scene in Episode 2 as a consequence where a lot of people I expected to be imminently dead were sitting around before a battle, Man I thought, this is going to be so powerful on a rewatch when all these characters die next week.

2. ENOURMOUS inconsistencies. Hello. I'm the Dorthraki horde. 50,000 Screamers. But we've lived our life like a candle in the wind. Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge. *Snuff*
    Hello. We are 100,000 Dead Army. We have broken in Winterfell. Yipee. We have killed EVERYONE except the 5 main characters. Sam- NO fighting skills. Alive. Check. The Onion Knight- Not a shread of combat ability. Alive- Check. Sir Brienne and Pod. On the field- survival check.

3. Sir Friend Zone. Sole Survivor of the Dothraki Horde attack. Teleports back to Winterfell ahead of the dead. Teleports into Winterfell ahead of the dead minus one horse. Teleports back over the wall. Over the 100,000 Dead to Dani to protect her from the horde who suddenly decide to obey the rules of Chivilery and attack one at a time.

4. Speaking of Chivilery. Reek, aka Theon the Peon completes his redemption character arc which no-one gives a **** about by playing matador with the Knight King. Oh look I'm out of arrows and the dead are running back and forth like duck hunt. Lets have a chat with Bran and chaaaaaarge. *Snuff*

5. Arya. I'm on the wall. Oh no. The wall is overfun and I cannot swing my broomstick. I guess I'll head inside and play the last of us. Sneak level increased to 56. I'n being chased by 50 dead but I am rescued by the knight brought back 7 times to save me so I can play Super Mario with the knight king.

6. I'm a dragon. Oh. I am also a dragon. Nice to meet you. Lets play in the Clouds and the dark. WTF is happening. Its so dark. Oh wait the night king has fallen off. Oh look dragon fire doesnt burn him. Oh look at that cheeky smile.

7. Hi, I'm Jon Snow. I'm BRILLIANT at hide and seek. Exit Dragon. Chase night king. Raises the dead- 50,000 Dothraki. 20,000 unsullied. Okay lads, one at a time. Oh my gf has started the barbacue. Great Sir Friend zone can I borrow your teleporter to somehow get past all the dead into Winterfell. Oh Look a dragon. Fire. HIDE, SEEK. Dodgeball chamption 2019.

The production was fantastic. The scene was set. Until it got more and more and more and more ridiculous.

I can suspend disbelief in a show that has dragons ffs. but that was an hour and a half cartoon that basically pissed away the 5 books and the last 7 seasons.

The Battle of the Bastards was the most realistic depiction of battle I have ever seen on a screen.

That was the most ridiculous. It was beyond bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Why wouldn't they start with the dragons?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Loved it, can't wait for the rest of the episodes.

Daenerys' army must be completely wiped out now.
    How many Dothraki were there?
    Drogo had 40k Dothraki screamers but it looked like there was about a quarter of that, could the rest all be in Essos still as Dothraki don't like sea travel?
    Maybe make a return and save everyone from Cersei, someone mentioned Bran sending the crows for allies to help them, could be an interesting theory.

The Hound getting his courage back after seeing Arya in danger was brilliant, I am looking forward to watching this episode again tonight.

unjedilike wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they start with the dragons?

Why would they lay out their forces like they're about to siege Winterfell?

"Where would you like the trenches, sir?"
    "Behind us."
    "And the trebuchets?"
    "In front of us, of course."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thoroughly enjoyed it whilst being massively let down at the same time.

Wight dragon at the end who came back, was that Viserion (who I presumed was "killed" in the 2 on 1 dragon fight) or a wight Rhaegal (who may or may not have been "killed" in said dragon fight)?

Viserion I think. He seemed to have his throat torn out in the fight.
    Obviously can't be "killed" unless he's burned or stabbed so kept battling on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Theon's death really just felt like a death for the sake of it, while other characters inexplicably survive.

Who did we lose? Dondarrion, both Mormonts, Edd?
    Melisandre
    Theon Greyjoy
    Lyanna Mormont
    Ser Jorah Mormont
    Lord Beric Dondarrion
    Edd Tollet
    Night King
    Viserion

I agree they went way to light on the character killing as well.
    Why did Melisandre die?
    Her mission was complete; the night king was defeated so she decided to end her life by removing her necklace (which had the red gem that sustained her). Worth remembering that she was very old and had a laundry list of bad things she'd done so was tired of life I guess and/or her god told her it was her time.

• Advertisement

Wait, 2 dragons are dead now? I missed that! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Is there any point to Bran now for the next three episodes?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I actually thought 2 dragons were dead. Just Drogon around Dany at the end?

The whole episode was so dark, at times it was very hard to see anything.

Arya killing the Night King: it does seem strange - she's had nothing to do with that story all along.

But

despite the too much plot armour (comparing it to the scene after the Battle of Hogwarts where there are rows of important characters dead), I'm glad the last 3 episodes will not be endless battle and about the Night King, who never had any lines, any character development or anything really.

Bring on the battle for the Iron Throne.
    Who will win?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I actually thought 2 dragons were dead. Just Drogon around Dany at the end?

The whole episode was so dark, at times it was very hard to see anything.

Arya killing the Night King: it does seem strange - she's had nothing to do with that story all along.

But

despite the too much plot armour (comparing it to the scene after the Battle of Hogwarts where there are rows of important characters dead), I'm glad the last 3 episodes will not be endless battle and about the Night King, who never had any lines, any character development or anything really.

Bring on the battle for the Iron Throne.
    Who will win?
    The dragon battle scenes were really hard to follow, so I must have missed the second dragon dying. I thought the only dead one was the NKs dragon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

When Jon fell off his (Rhaegal?), I don't think we saw it again.
    But I agree it was really hard to follow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wait, 2 dragons are dead now? I missed that! :o
    Only one; Viserion was the one who got turned in season 7 at the lake. The second one (Dany's) who got swarmed is most likely alive simply based on the fact he could fly away and and of course the third one is god knows were but was never really hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Is there any point to Bran now for the next three episodes?!

I think there will be, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The ads really do kill the mood. I watched it last week at 2am, never again. Got up at 7 to watch it today. Forward through those ads. Edge of the seat stuff, was unreal. I'll watch it again tonight.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Official episode name was "The Long Night" not Battle of Winterfell
    Blame the GoT Wiki; they put up the name you saw as I check their page a day or so in advance :)

• Advertisement

I think there will be, yes.

Agree, there has to be something more about Bran, otherwise that was one very long, drawn out, pointless arc that he had.

Advertisement