Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Options
  • 27-04-2019 7:17am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate stickied Season 8 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

Note - No spoilers required for the current episode in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well that was one hell of an episode. Between Avengers Endgame and the Battle of Winterfell, this weekend has been an emotional roller coaster ride. No complaints from me it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'll get to sleep sometime around Thursday after that.

Hole. Eee. FCUK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

The best episode of television ever made. No doubt in my mind. If you disagree you can fvck off and get in the sea.
    Epic. In every sense.

Lady Mormont though. 💔💔💔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Are you on drugs?

It's spectacular television, but it's bloody underwhelming story wise.

Night King dispatched with 3 episodes to go...The Hound survives...WE'RE GETTING CLEGANEBOWL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm underwhelmed. That was mediocre at best. Visually spectacular, story and character wise, ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

All I could think of after that episode was, as the Hound put it once; who taught you that ****e? I've been merciful enough on Cogman and D&D but this episode hammered it home to me that the ideas ran dry a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Rollercoaster but I felt very underwhelmed after.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Got up at 3 to watch it, couldn't get back to sleep so now I'm at work!

What an episode. One of the best I've ever seen.

Firstly the music was something else.

I was nervous from the get go, it was incredibly well done.

Where to start with it though?

The charge of the Dothraki, the extinguishing of the swords one by one, Mormont and Ghost surviving the first wave. I loved the vunerability of the characters, Edd, Jaime, Brienne, POD, Jorah all standing their ground but you could see the fear. Brilliantly Theon was the only one who looked assured and calm.

I love all the call backs from the dagger used in the attempt on Bran's life to it saving him, "what do we say?" and the same location where Arya got the dagger being the end of the Night King.

I loved the darkness too, the night is dark and full of terrors as they say.

I have a few small gripes, ice dragon should have been left die originally or set ablaze by Daenarys.
    I like Sam fronting up but I think once he brokedown and curled up that should have been the end of him.

House Mormont though, they might be small but they are brave.

Valar Morgulis!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I loved the last two weeks,

That was rubbish. Crap. I feel ive been conned for 7 years.

1. Ever major character survives with magical plot armour.

2. The dothraki are wiped out in seconds but Jamie of the left handed survives with Brienne and Pod.

3. Jon Snow is literally invincible.

4. The night king took 20 mins to Kill Bran.

5. Ayra manages to ninja her way to the night king.

6. The editing. Ffs. I enjoyed the music around the season 7 finale re the wildfire. It didnt work there. Stabbing to Strings. No thanks.

I defended this show against the filler episode idiot comments. The crowd got their blood but that was a ridiculous cartoon.

Ill have to rewatch it for any redeeming features but what a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Bran sent the crows to Danys other allies , Darios etc

I loved the last two weeks,

That was rubbish. Crap. I feel ive been conned for 7 years.

1. Ever major character survives with magical plot armour.

2. The dothraki are wiped out in seconds but Jamie of the left handed survives with Brienne and Pod.

3. Jon Snow is literally invincible.

4. The night king took 20 mins to Kill Bran.

5. Ayra manages to ninja her way to the night king.

6. The editing. Ffs. I enjoyed the music around the season 7 finale re the wildfire. It didnt work there. Stabbing to Strings. No thanks.

I defended this show against the filler episode idiot comments. The crowd got their blood but that was a ridiculous cartoon.

Ill have to rewatch it for any redeeming features but what a let down.

1. Fair point, may have had more scope. Could have thrown Sam and Pod in with zero effect.

2. The Dothraki are a swarming cavalry, that was always going to happen that way, they were unlikely to be disciplined like the Unsullied.

3. They were going well until they walked him into the respawn area!

4. TV sins going to TV sin

5. All her training led her to do just that

6. I have no complaints

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Theon's death really just felt like a death for the sake of it, while other characters inexplicably survive.

Who did we lose? Dondarrion, both Mormonts, Edd?

Why did Melisandre die?

Production wise that was excellent IMO, great TV.

Story wise it was alright for me, not amazing, not bad either. Felt a little bit clichéd in parts. Arya just seemed to come out of nowhere at the end. White Walkers spent the episode just standing about until they died.

Some rambling thoughts

The initial scene of the the fire wielding Dothraki charging then darkness was cool.

I expected Ghost to do something more, protect Dany at the last second?

The crypt setup was fine but the plot armour was strong.

Jon vs Undead Dragon did feel very video gamey

Arya was fine but she went from sneaking about for what felt like hours to master sneak at the end.

I prefer the intrigue of Kings Landing so think that's going to be more effective for deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Yeah not great. What was the point of building up The NK and white walkers for all those years for it to be ended like that by a character who has had nothing to do with the NK story all these years? (A character who had one of the worst major character arcs -Braavos /faceless men) I see they did throw in some lame foreshadowing last season to make themselves look clever but really it was a letdown story wise.
    It’s like Star Wars/a marvel movie now , ridiculous plot armor on the characters the masses love , Dondarrion and the night watch lad are not major characters to kill off , neither were the 2 Mormonts or Theon either tbh.

this is not the Game of Thrones that dragged me in years ago

White Walkers have a "group" of undead they control don't they? So if you kill one you could potentially obliterate thousands, deliberately held back by the NK?

Melisandre was, presumably kept alive until her task is done, similar to what she said about Beric.

I'd like to know if Arya actually snuck into the Deadwood or threw on a WW face.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'd like to know if Arya actually snuck into the Deadwood or threw on a WW face.

I think it would have worked great if a wight jumped at the NK and he looked confused. Maybe thinking it was Bran before Arya takes her wight face off.

The rest of the Walkers did nothing. I was expecting them to take out the Winterfell Generals (Brienne, Beric, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

awec wrote: »
    Why did Melisandre die?
    She should have died many years before, it was only her magic keeping her alive for this long. With her job done, she reverted to her real old lady form and died.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I thought that was one of the best TV episodes I have ever seen when I finished.

The tension throughout was insane, as you just didn’t know who would die. The music for the last 10-15 minutes was great.

I understand a few people’s frustration as we’ve been building up to the NK battle for so long and it’s one battle, but it was an epic battle imo.

Clegane bowl is on!

Daith wrote: »
    Some rambling thoughts

The initial scene of the the fire wielding Dothraki charging then darkness was cool.

I expected Ghost to do something more, protect Dany at the last second?

The crypt setup was fine but the plot armour was strong.

Jon vs Undead Dragon did feel very video gamey

Arya was fine but she went from sneaking about for what felt like hours to master sneak at the end.

I prefer the intrigue of the Kings Landing so think that's going to be more effective for deaths.

I see complaints that more main characters did not die in this episode. I just don't see the point in building up a character like Dany, Jon or Jaime for years and investing in their arcs...to just have them whimper out as they are overcome by a horde of nameless wights on the battlefield. The deaths of major characters in the past have served the story on a significant level, but death-by-wights would have been a bit arbitrary and just 'we need to kill this character cause it's nearly the end'.

Sure...maybe the plot armour was at times a little too strong in this episode, but I didn't want to see death just for the sake of death. Even Theon's death felt a bit forced, and that was with his death actually serving his arc/story of redemption in Winterfell.

I am very impressed overall by this episode and had a blast watching it, but do have criticisms, like - That was it the Night King and the Whitewalkers? I would have liked to at least hear a few words from the NK, or see him in 1 v 1 combat with Jon or a human...but in the end he was just evil for the sake of it and he was dispatched by a prison shanking from Arya. No problem with Arya being the one to do it, just I feel a little underwhelmed by the NK and the Whitewalkers after years of a good build-up.

I wasn't expecting some mad theory to come to fruition in the show like Bran = NK, but some more substance would have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

not sure how to feel about it really...the Battle wasn't a patch on Hardhome or Battle of the Bastards ....the night King has been built up for years and now he's kiled so easily ( sort of) with 3 episodes to go...it was clear as day that someone was goingto kill the NK as the were overwelmed. Also what was Bran doing to whole time with his white eyes, warging into a crow?!

Daith wrote: »
    I think it would have worked great if a wight jumped at the NK and he looked confused. Maybe thinking it was Bran before Arya takes her wight face off.

The rest of the Walkers did nothing. I was expecting them to take out the Winterfell Generals (Brienne, Beric, etc)

What is the threat of the WW though? In the past its just their swords (and that weird strength) they had, Valyrian Steel and Dragonglass would have done them in, Mormont, The Hound, Beric, Brienne would all have fancied their chances and if they simply walked it they could have been stabbed by any grunt with Dragonglass and lose the hundres/thousands of the undead under their control.

They definitely could have done something better with Arya for sure, though I've read that in the background when the NK is going for his sword one of the WW looks behind him momentarily as if he's heard something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Great TV and rivetting in the moment but let down in hindsight by some really silly decisions.

Having Jon and Dany surrounded by hundreds of undead and living to tell the tale could have been done so much better considering they both had dragons. Jon especially should have been completely wrecked within seconds when the NK lifted everyone.

Nothing on the NK's motivations bar him wanting to end humanity for some unknown reason(maybe this was previously explained but I don't remember).

I do think the character centric nature of the previous episodes really helped but there was a ridiculous amount of plot armour and while I can accept that the trained fighters would be better equipped to survive, the fact Sam did and Lyanna Mormont killed a giant before she did (why wasn't she in the crypts?), kind of made me struggle slightly with the suspension of disbelief.

While watching I was blown away and thought it was great, it could be another where reflection isn't kind to it however...

razorblunt wrote: »
    What is the threat of the WW though? In the past its just their swords (and that weird strength) they had, Valyrian Steel and Dragonglass would have done them in, Mormont, The Hound, Beric, Brienne would all have fancied their chances and if they simply walked it they could have been stabbed by any grunt with Dragonglass and lose the hundres/thousands of the undead under their control.

They definitely could have done something better with Arya for sure, though I've read that in the background when the NK is going for his sword one of the WW looks behind him momentarily as if he's heard something.

I actually seen that myself watching the episode. It wasn't in the background, it was a close-up of a WW in the midst of the tension. At the time I thought 'Right, someone is gonna run in here for the save...but Jon is busy on the battlefield so who?'

I've no problem with Arya or her stealth - She was on home turf in Winterfell, we even saw her sneak up on Jon in the Godswood in the broad daylight in a recent episode, we've seen her train to be stealthy over the years, all of that.

My problem is with the lack of substance to the NK and the Whitewalkers. Even some conversation between Bran and the NK before Arya makes the save would have helped, or anything deeper than 'NK was evil just cause'.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Enjoyed that. The battle scenes being punctuated by silence was a nice touch.

Delighted with the Arya scenes. The fear when she is inside the castle sneaking around and being chased. The final blow after it seemed the NK would just snap her neck. Good stuff (Im a total Arya fanboy though).

Deaths were a bit underwhelming. Beric; meh, Theon (his arc was completed with the death), Jorah; meh it was his second chance since Sam cured him anyway, EVERY OTHER SOLDIER of major or minor note; meh, Lady Mormont; took out a giant, liked the juxtaposition - not much else she was going to do. One of the dragons (i think, right?); yeah fair enough, one of them was bound to die. Did anyone else of note die (im probably forgetting one).

Episode was a bit weak for not killing off some of the main characters.

Dothraki charge was excellent. The darkness and sense of chaos was excellent.

Didnt get to see the WW fighting - bit of a let down.

I saw all this; it was a good episode.

Mad to think the Winter is Coming arc is essentially closed now and its all about the battle for the throne (alone). That rhymes and you know it rhymes. Admit it.

Cersei to win; calling it now. North / Vale / Dany's lads / everyone but Cersei is fooked now.

I see complaints that more main characters did not die in this episode. I just don't see the point in building up a character like Dany, Jon or Jaime for years and investing in their arcs...to just have them whimper out as they are overcome by a horde of nameless wights on the battlefield. The deaths of major characters in the past have served the story on a significant level, but death-by-wights would have been a bit arbitrary and just 'we need to kill this character cause it's nearly the end'.

Exactly this. Even the Sand Snakes locked in the Kings Landing dungeon with the poison, etc, felt more emotional than Edd getting killed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was the Night King motivation ever explained in the show or the books? I can’t remember.

awec wrote: »
    Was the Night King motivation ever explained in the show or the books? I can’t remember.

Im thinking there is a Bran tie in and we may still find out.

Cant see the 1 flashback of the NK being created being all we find out about his past.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Thoroughly enjoyed it, a few niggles aside:

Music took me out of it a couple of times towards the end...Ramin Djawadi re-used some compositional techniques that are core to his Westworld themes, and it started to sound like music from that show.

Dragon fight was a little tough to follow.

Dany sitting around after saving Jon was ridiculous. Take off again, you dope.

They totally copped out on the main character deaths, but I'm kinda ok with that. This episode was never going to give them a lot of time to focus on any one person. I'm expecting plenty more deaths before the end, and hopefully the remaining three episodes will give them a chance to give those send offs more attention than they would have got here.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    Music took me out of it a couple of times towards the end...Ramin Djawadi re-used some compositional techniques that are core to his Westworld themes, and it started to sound like music from that show.

Hah bang on - thought the same when watching! :D

Advertisement