Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bahanaman wrote: »
    With all Kilkenny's injury problems do people think Brian Cody will play his strongest side when ye come to Dr. Cullen Park to face our lads in the second round of leinster?
    Cody will be fielding his strongest available players, should be a good occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    When a young boy or girl pulls on a Kilkenny Jersey regardless of code, they deserve respect and support from Kilkenny GAA supporters. To say "correct attitude" is blindness to what is currently happening in the current development of hurling. 20 something lads got an opportunity to pull on the Kilkenny jersey last night, to play for a team managed by the greatest Hurler of all time. Lads who are not on the Kilkenny minor hurling squad, yet probably all club hurlers. Are you really so blinded that you have nothing positive to say about that?

There are plenty of positives there of course but I stand over my original opinion. The issue raised was Greenspurs club ran a couple of U11 football training sessions and then switched to hurling. The suggestion was made that this was a bad thing?

It was absolutely not a bad thing. It's the same playing pool at that age group. I see no reason to waste time on an inferior sport at the expense of the greatest sport in the world.

Hurling is faster, more exciting and more fun for an 11 year old. These are formative years where players are getting bigger and improving dramatically. Why dilute that. Get the hurling into them and forget paying lip service to football.

Better doing one thing well than doing 2 things half right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,313 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

There are plenty of positives there of course but I stand over my original opinion. The issue raised was Greenspurs club ran a couple of U11 football training sessions and then switched to hurling. The suggestion was made that this was a bad thing?

It was absolutely not a bad thing. It's the same playing pool at that age group. I see no reason to waste time on an inferior sport at the expense of the greatest sport in the world.

Hurling is faster, more exciting and more fun for an 11 year old. These are formative years where players are getting bigger and improving dramatically. Why dilute that. Get the hurling into them and forget paying lip service to football.

Seriously ?
    Its not fun for the majority of boys that don't go back to the gaa club when the football is finished , and go back playing soccer !!
    Hurling is the greatest sport, BUT its not for everyone.
    With due respect GF can be played by anyone, either poorly or really well, but you can play it.
    Hurling , is a whole different ball game (literally!!) if you aren't brave enough, you wont play it. It is adifficult game to play , and isn't for everyone.

I don't understand why GF cant be played , just to keep the boys/girls involved in the Gaa club at the very least.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

No harm Pigeon Chaser but I think you are a bit behind the times here. GF and Hurling complement each other in many ways and learning one actually benefits the other. It is not an either or situation. You don't have to sacrifice hurling to learn football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

blackcard wrote:
    Cody will be fielding his strongest available players, should be a good occasion

We're looking forward to it big time. First time playing Kilkenny in the championship since the early nineties I think. We don't know what to expect in Carlow. I suppose realistically we'd be hoping to to give a good account of ourselves but there's always the hope of pulling off a major upset! Carlow hurling people have been looking forward to days like this for a long time!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

There are plenty of positives there of course but I stand over my original opinion.

So list the positives... (in your opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Village87

Amy Minor team picked for the weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Amy Minor team picked for the weekend ?
    Probably be tonight.What kinda team do we have this year?many underage from last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Our county board can't organise juvenile hurling tournaments properly, how would they fare if football was introduced into the body of the year and not as an after thought at the start/end of the year

Our county board can't organise juvenile hurling tournaments properly, how would they fare if football was introduced into the body of the year and not as an after thought at the start/end of the year

In my opinion that is a very unfair generalisation. Of all the voluntary jobs in the GAA, fixtures has to be about the toughest across all codes, hurling, football, Camogie and ladies football. Last year Kilkenny completed over 40 juvenile competitions in both hurling and football. As many more in Camogie and Ladies Football. That’s an enormous amount of matches. The fixtures committees have to work around development squads and underage intercounty tournaments who have dates set nationally. The biggest obstacle they face is the Clubs themselves. The clubs and team mangers only see things from their own perspective whereas the fixtures have to cater for 35 plus clubs within particular parameters. The clubs look for fixture changes for the genuine funeral, the team’s best player is injured, sick or several are gone to Irish college or a school trip or have a final in soccer or rugby. The team manager has a wedding to go to or has a family holiday booked or one of the coaches has a stag. The parish has a first communion or confirmation. All reasons for an individual or a small group in the whole scheme of a county. The knock on effect of a fixture change or cancellation can be a massive domino effect with rounds delayed and the new dates causing a similar clash for some other clubs who already had dates pencilled in. In the girls sport, there is the added headache of getting pitches for matches. Not to mention the shortage of referees across the board.

So if you are involved with a club team and want a fixture changed, have a think about the overall effect, not just your own empire. I know people across several codes involved in fixtures and the hours and hours of Voluntary effort that goes into the original fixtures and the hours and hours of Voluntary phone calls that are made when a single fixture is changed is not enticing to become a fixtures volunteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Grats

Hawkeye6 - excellent post with a great insight into the thankless voluntary job of arranging fixtures.

The U15 hurling year is as follows:

League started 8th April
    Last group game 15th May
    That's 7/8 games in 5 weeks

Top of each group play a league final some time after the Junior Cert.

Next U15 game? Knock out championship 21st August.

In the same time period (April-May) you've got 4 minor games and ongoing U13 schools hurling and football championship matches.

But no organised U15 games in June or July.

Are you seriously telling me that is well organised? I get its a difficult job but come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Feile football and hurling takes place in June, not to mention the Junior Cert for many U15s. You can hardly blame them for keeping June free. I'm sure there is a good reason for keeping July free too - maybe you should find that out first before giving out, or better still why not give it a go yourself to see what is involved so that you can understand the challenges.

No problem with June being taken out obviously. Last year 4 games pre exams and 3 games post exams and this year 7 games in 5 weeks? So the season is played off in a month with one game in summer for half the teams? Is this really acceptable in peoples opinion?

And don't cite the development squads to me. Stopping an entire county of kids playing competitive hurling in the summer for a handful of County games at that age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

Young lad here plays with the school, Under 13s and under 15s
    by the 11th of May he will have played 30 games with the possibility of 2 more games. If the teams reach the finals. His next games will be in June and July and then the Championship in August which normally lasts one game. Finished for the yr in August after starting on the 11th of January. Up until last week most of his games were played in the worst conditions for both football and hurling. Sure it is no wonder we as a county can't develop players. This has being going on yrs.

No problem with June being taken out obviously. Last year 4 games pre exams and 3 games post exams and this year 7 games in 5 weeks? So the season is played off in a month with one game in summer for half the teams? Is this really acceptable in peoples opinion?

And don't cite the development squads to me. Stopping an entire county of kids playing competitive hurling in the summer for a handful of County games at that age group.

You seem far removed from reality. What country club wants to play league or championship games in July or August when players are gone on family holidays or Irish College in Donegal? They don't. Holidays were rare in my day now families go on several throughout the summer. (Note I have mentioned development squads this time)

But as one poster has suggested put your right hand up and give us a list of fixtures for Under-13, Under-15 and Under-17 for the year, bearing in mind Under-13s play Under-15 and Under-15s play Under-17. The we'll see if we think you are the solution to the fixtures. And to be fair if people think you have the solution, you should put your name forward for the fixtures.

I'm from a country club, I'm involved with a team in that age group, I have U13s playing U15 to make up numbers, I have U15s playing minor to make up numbers and not a single person I've talked to, whether they are from other clubs in our group or parents of the kids I train think the current fixture list is any use.

The entire fixture and competition structure in the GAA is archaic. There are 17 teams in U15 Roinn B and only 6 Kilkenny teams in Roinn A (Rangers and Naas are also involved). Gowran and Boro are light years ahead of everyone else so I can understand the low numbers in A compared to B. If you run a competition with limited fixtures like we currently do then clubs will resist any change to a fixture which will result in them playing with a weaker team.

Why not play a full league season at Roinn B with the 17 teams. A game every week with a mid season break for the exams so every team gets 16 games and then league finishing positions lead to a Cup and Shield knock out competition at the end of the summer. That's a minimum of 17 competitive games. Because you're GUARANTEEING clubs that amount of games you can also tell them that they have to fulfill a certain amount of fixtures prior to the mid season break and in the second half of the league. If they can't fulfill a fixture by a certain date it's either declared a draw or a club has to concede. Because you're giving them more games over the course of a season clubs SHOULD be told to accept this. And if they don't **** em.

One night a week for U15, minor and U13.

You start mid March and you'd be done end of September.

Bang bang.

If they can't fulfill a fixture by a certain date it's either declared a draw or a club has to concede. Because you're giving them more games over the course of a season clubs SHOULD be told to accept this. And if they don't **** em..

I wonder how many think this is a good idea?
    Will that rule apply if a death causes the delay?
    One night a week for U15, minor and U13.

You start mid March and you'd be done end of September.

Bang bang.

Interesting start...
    Now you've already taken out June yourself in an earlier post.. But to be devils advocate...
    Where will primary schools fixtures fit in (affects Under-13)
    Where will go games for Under-12's fit in (affects Under-13)
    Where will Secondary School Junior competitions fit in? (affects Under-15)
    Where will the end of Secondary School senior competitions fit in (affects Minor)
    My Under-15 lad is on the minor team so he has two matches a week from March to September. When does he get coached?
    I see you've chosen to ignore the affects of family holidays, Irish College, Communions, Confirmations and of course School Trips, especially TY school trips.

It maybe just me but the bang bang approach is a far cry from the detail provided here. http://kilkennygaa.ie/files/download/OnlineFixtures2019.pdf
    Which to be fair is going to be well disrupted by match changes and cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Eoin Murphy has a broken leg, so will miss probably all of the Leinster games. Good opportunity for Darren Brennan.

Eoin Murphy has a broken leg, so will miss probably all of the Leinster games. Good opportunity for Darren Brennan.
    I heard he has cartilage damage in his knee and is going for another scan monday to see if he requires surgery.If he doesn't require surgery it'll be 4-6 weeks if it does require surgery it could be 12-14 weeks something similar to joe cannings injury.
    No matter what way we look at it scruff is going to be huge not alone his shot stopping but long range frees and organising his defence he will be sorely missed.Great oppurtunity for darren i think he has great potential and very confident.I presume alan murphy will be sub goalie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Village87

brookville wrote: »
    I heard he has cartilage damage in his knee and is going for another scan monday to see if he requires surgery.If he doesn't require surgery it'll be 4-6 weeks if it does require surgery it could be 12-14 weeks something similar to joe cannings injury.
    No matter what way we look at it scruff is going to be huge not alone his shot stopping but long range frees and organising his defence he will be sorely missed.Great oppurtunity for darren i think he has great potential and very confident.I presume alan murphy will be sub goalie

Darren Brennan top class goalie. Best of luck to him. Richie Reid didn’t go back with the county I believe.

Village87 wrote: »

Darren Brennan top class goalie. Best of luck to him. Richie Reid didn’t go back with the county I believe.
    Shefflin was speaking at something during the week where he said he was talking to richie reid and his excited at chance of breaking into the team with injuries to a few players like buckley,maher and delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Richie Reid is in with county team. Think he is in as a defender though and not for goalkeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Kilkenny are away in Foto Island in Cork since this morning for the weekend in preparation for the upcoming Leinster championship campaign.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Interesting start...
    Now you've already taken out June yourself in an earlier post.. But to be devils advocate...
    Where will primary schools fixtures fit in (affects Under-13)
    Where will go games for Under-12's fit in (affects Under-13)
    Where will Secondary School Junior competitions fit in? (affects Under-15)
    Where will the end of Secondary School senior competitions fit in (affects Minor)
    My Under-15 lad is on the minor team so he has two matches a week from March to September. When does he get coached?
    I see you've chosen to ignore the affects of family holidays, Irish College, Communions, Confirmations and of course School Trips, especially TY school trips.
    The U15 and minor season currently starts at the end of March/start of April and currently clashes with all schools competitions. The only difference in my competition and the current one is the provision of competitive games throughout the summer. As I addressed in my previous post, family holidays etc. should not affect whether fixtures proceed and shouldn't be as much of an issue if you are giving teams loads of games. People don't want to proceed with games without players currently because there are so few competitive games that each game is seen as important.

The U13s actually have the perfect season at the minute:
    Schools hurling and club football to June
    Club hurling for the summer
    Schools football in the autumn
    They're the only age group with games at the height of the summer. Surely I'm not asking too much to have U15s provided with the same thing?

Your comment on how a death affects a fixture is bizarre. If you start a season mid March you could have 7 rounds of games at one per week (like you do now except it was only 5 weeks this year) before the exam break. You tell all clubs that their first 7 games must be fulfilled by mid May. There's loads of scope in that time to rearrange fixtures if necessary. Restart the season the last week of June and play a game a week until end of August and then start knock out. And this is based on a competition of 17 teams in B. A proper competition would see 12 in A and 12 in B and that still gives a guaranteed 12 competitive games and more scope to fit games in.

And as an organisation the GAA has the ratio of training to games all wrong. Would your 15 year old prefer to have one training session a week with two games or 3 training sessions a week with no games for two months?

I just want our juveniles to have more games at the right time of the year. Genuinely, there's no competitive U15 games in Kilkenny from May 15th to August 21st!! That's completely unacceptable. And these lads will be minor next year and people will be cutting the back off them for not being good enough but how can they be when they're being demoralised at 15 years of age by just training over and over again. We'll be flat out with challenge matches but they know they're only challenge matches and it's just not the same.

Anyway I'm waffling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Probably be tonight.What kinda team do we have this year?many underage from last year?

I would know this group pretty well due to the involvement of a family member. Were never thought to be a vintage group but have been doing surprisingly well on the challenge match circuit, if you can read much into that. Dublin have been stronger than them at the younger age groups so tomorrow will be a big test.

Moylan, Halpin, Hickey ( Noel's nephew), O'Sullivan, Murphy (only a sub tomorrow) and Jack Doyle (unavailable tomorrow due to a handball All Ireland and a big loss) were all on the panel last year.

I think I am right in saying that we will see the first African descent kid playing minor for Kilkenny in Zak Bay Hammond which is fantastic to see!

Best of luck to them and hopefully they will get good support!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So Murphy... broken leg or knee cartilage damage??

And Richie Reid... With the county squad or not?

Which is it lads? :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    No harm Pigeon Chaser but I think you are a bit behind the times here. GF and Hurling complement each other in many ways and learning one actually benefits the other. It is not an either or situation. You don't have to sacrifice hurling to learn football.

Perhaps you are right.

I certainly seem to be at odds with the majority of posters here.

Whilst all sport, particularly team sports, are beneficial to young people and it is great to see young people out engaging in sport I enjoy the fact hurling is the dominant and often exclusive focus of gaa clubs in Kilkenny.

I would not advocate for that attitude to change as I think it may dilute our talent pool. We don't have the population of bigger counties to compete at the top level in both. Even in Galway there is a very clear geographical divide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement