Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

manshay wrote: »
    On fibrerollout.ie the FTTH-Day-of-install document states

"it is important to note that open eir do not install in attic spaces"

Does that exclude the cable passing though the attic space or does it mean the technician will not enter an attic space?

I'd like to know the same - have a dormer bungalow with a crawl space going around the outside upper level. The phone line comes into it and it would by far be easiest if it was brought into the soffit at the end and terminated near a hatch where all my other network equipment is.

I'm not expecting the engineer to enter the crawl space. but wonder if I could pull the fibre through for him to terminate it near the hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you offered to pull the cable through the attic they should be obliging, so long as you have somewhere for it to go - as in an existing duct, down a wall to an existing Eir socket.

I managed to get mine installed in the attic. I pulled the cable to where it was decked with chipboard and I had an existing power point and an available power board for the several power supplies and the KN installer was OK with doing it. Probably helped that he said he had done his own setup in his attic.

If you make it clear that it goes where you want it or there won't be an install, that might help and having an established feasible route for the cable to where you want the install and a way of getting it there for the installer without them getting in the attic, you should get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

Mine was installed in March I got the two boxes

20190417_114940a.jpg

Fiber came through the partition wall, from there it was patched via fiber to the second box that has power in and cat6 yellow cable going out to router

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If they're drilling through a new entry hole, do they put any kind of seal around the hole after the cable goes through, or is that left to me to tidy up?

They messily applied some clear silicone to seal mine. I would have done a far neater job had I done it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the cable diameter is? Would a 12mm cable gland be sufficient?

Cable is 6mm dia.

And what size drill do they use? I'm planning to sneak a few ethernet cables out the same way the fibre comes in.

10mm

cnocbui wrote: »
    Cable is 6mm dia.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

10mm

I might have to nudge his elbow a little while he's drilling, lol

Curses...

Pure Telecom promised me my router by today, now they tell me it will be by Friday.

So installation goes ahead tomorrow without the router to know its working.

On that note, what router do Pure supply, and would I be better getting my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Pure Telecom promised me my router by today, now they tell me it will be by Friday.

Friday is Good Friday. Is the post even being delivered ? Lots of places close or are half day. OpenEIR don't even do installations on Friday.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Friday is Good Friday. Is the post even being delivered ? Lots of places close or are half day. OpenEIR don't even do installations on Friday.

/M

The installation is Thursday, its the router that is delayed to Friday. Its coming by courier, not sure if they deliver Friday or not. They did say "no later than Friday", so it could be tomorrow.

Either way if there are better routers available I might go ahead and buy one myself.

From what I can see pure Telecom use this one:

https://www.provu.co.uk/technicolor-tg588v-v2.html

Reviews are not good.

The Technicolor routers are muck.

You would most certainly be better of buying your own.

The only question is then what happens to their phone service ? Like with Eir and Vodafone you loose the phone (if VoIP) replacing the router.

/M

You can replace the router and still retain the VOIP service by connecting the supplied router to the replacement via ethernet and changing a couple settings on the routers.
    That's the setup I have.

I'm retaining the normal landline. Not going voip.

I have a monitored alarm and wouldn't be arsed replacing it with a GSM unit. That was one of the reasons I liked the Pure deal.

The Technicolor routers are muck.

You would most certainly be better of buying your own.

Any recommendations?

Any recommendations?

Fritz!Box 7530 for something "simple". Asus seems to have some good options. It really depends on what package you went with.

Tech savvy options ? Mikrotik Routerboard 4011 or 1100x4 will do up to Gbit/s. Ubiquity EdgeRouter X or Mikrotik Routerboard HEX S will handle a 150 Mbit/s, but no more.

With going FTTH you need to know what spec router you buy.

/M

Fritz!Box 7530 for something "simple". Asus seems to have some good options. It really depends on what package you went with.

Tech savvy options ? Mikrotik Routerboard 4011 or 1100x4 will do up to Gbit/s. Ubiquity EdgeRouter X or Mikrotik Routerboard HEX S will handle a 150 Mbit/s, but no more.

With going FTTH you need to know what spec router you buy.

/M

I'm just going 150mbps. That's plenty of an upgrade from the 2mbps I've had for the last 7 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Few pure installs I did used the fritzbox I've only seen the technicolours on copper installs.
    The install can still go ahead without router once the synch light locks that's the techs job done.
    Ya can get the login details and password from your provider and create a new connection type on your PC and work with a direct pc connection until you get your modem.

Had an install in the last few days customer was getting 30 down on his Samsung phone and 45 up on a 300/50 profile on 2.5ghz his phone didn't seem to be capable of 5ghz he was adamant it was not an old phone
    I logged in and got 199/45 5ghz
    His wife's phone iphone got 100/45 5ghz
    Are Samsung inbuilt modems dirt?
    The readings we all got were consistent with our respective devices.

Install is underway. He has the cradle that a few folk referred to previously.

He advised against using the same hole to exit with the network cables. Because the ethernet cables would be going through the same cradle it would run the risk of messing with the fibre if I ever moved the ethernet around.

Looks like I'll have to drill a second hole below his and then just group them together into the duct. That's if the wife doesn't strangle me for even thinking of drilling more holes into walls.

Install is underway. He has the cradle that a few folk referred to previously.

He advised against using the same hole to exit with the network cables. Because the ethernet cables would be going through the same cradle it would run the risk of messing with the fibre if I ever moved the ethernet around.

Looks like I'll have to drill a second hole below his and then just group them together into the duct. That's if the wife doesn't strangle me for even thinking of drilling more holes into walls.

Would you not just sneak 1 ethernet cable through in lower half of cradle where the lid goes up and crimp an RJ on run that to somewhere your wife doesn't care about then put modem there and a dumb switch/hub to feed around to other parts of the house.
    Would look far cleaner all you'll see then is flashy ont on wall with one power cable coming out and nothing else.
    You really don't want to be juggling Ethernet cables at the cradle everytime you have a favourite cable of the month that's asking for trouble down the line changing around cables.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Would you not just sneak 1 ethernet cable through in lower half of cradle where the lid goes up and crimp an RJ on run that to somewhere your wife doesn't care about then put modem there and a dumb switch/hub to feed around to other parts of the house.
    Would look far cleaner all you'll see then is flashy ont on wall with one power cable coming out and nothing else.
    You really don't want to be juggling Ethernet cables at the cradle everytime you have a favourite cable of the month that's asking for trouble down the line changing around cables.

Apologies I'm not getting you.

The cradle etc is now in place. I will be running the ethernet cable from the cradle up to the attic and mounting the router there.

I need to run 2 ethernet cables back down from there, out of a hole, and out to various points like the gate etc to run cctv.

Because the cradle is flush to the wall and is covering the hole, it isn't suitable to direct the 2 ethernet cables through the cradle and out.

Hence the need for a second exit hole. And holes in walls are what makes "her indoors" twitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Apologies I'm not getting you.

The cradle etc is now in place. I will be running the ethernet cable from the cradle up to the attic and mounting the router there.

I need to run 2 ethernet cables back down from there, out of a hole, and out to various points like the gate etc to run cctv.

Because the cradle is flush to the wall and is covering the hole, it isn't suitable to direct the 2 ethernet cables through the cradle and out.

Hence the need for a second exit hole. And holes in walls are what makes "her indoors" twitch!

The cradle is easily lifted from the wall by unscrewing a couple of screws to give access to the hole?

The cradle is easily lifted from the wall by unscrewing a couple of screws to give access to the hole?

It would then not be sitting flush though, plus the hole isn't big enough for all 3 cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It would then not be sitting flush though, plus the hole isn't big enough for all 3 cables.

The flush part is easily deal with ..... but the hole size cannot easily be overcome.

Is the duct the fibre runs through, large enough for the fiber cable terminating plug to pass through?

• Advertisement

Is the duct the fibre runs through, large enough for the fiber cable terminating plug to pass through?

Not sure what the fibre terminating plug is. The fibre is coming in through a 10mm hole in the wall.

The duct through the garden from the pole is 50mm I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement