Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    To Rob Armstrong, see correction and apology above

I'll let it slide this time Mad_maxx, next time though I'm gonna tarmac your driveway boss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

If the situation is not comparable, it's a bogus point, blacks in America were slaves for centuries, then since the time of Lincoln, faced institutional racism under Jim crow etc, it's an insult to the experience of the black population of the 🇺🇸 to compare their historic plight to travellers who simple chose to opt out of conventional lifestyle and social norms

wooooo there max.

there is not the same history of with Black people in ireland simple because there were few or none at all present until relativity recently

however in spite of EOTRs nonsense ramblings black people in Ireland are heavily involved in crime fraud and scams at a high level and drugs at lower levels , thye dont fill our jails though as the frauds and scams are very difficult to proscute and the low level drugs guys dont rate it in out system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I haven't commented on this thread before, but I have to jump in here because comparing Travellers to black people in the US is just so ridiculous!

Black people in America came through generations of enslavement and decades of horrendous institutionalised discrimination, but in the past 50 years have risen to the top in every field of academia, business, law, medicine, politics, the arts, you name it. The last president of the USA was born during the civil rights movement!

Over the same time period, Irish governments have done nothing but pander to Travellers and their horrible lifestyle, and received exactly F all engagement from Travellers in return.

What's worse, black people can't help being black. They had to overcome the inescapable fact of their skin colour to break through the racist attitudes of many in the US. They still have to do that today. Travellers don't. They are the same race as us. A Traveller who wants better for himself and more importantly his/her kids, can stop being a Traveller, by engaging with the help offered by the state. Within a generation or two nobody would know the difference, or care.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Bizarre how the state was able to put their boot on the necks of unmarried mothers for decades yet did nothing about Travelers and now it's far too late, were they less violent and prone to criminality in the "rare ol times"?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was unaware that drug abuse was a big issue within the traveller community

You better believe it.
    Look at the trouble in Dundalk and Drogheda where Travellers are big in the illicit drug trade. Anything but work AND they can still claim for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

El_Bee wrote:
    Bizarre how the state was able to put their boot on the necks of unmarried mothers for decades yet did nothing about Travelers and now it's far too late, were they less violent and prone to criminality in the "rare ol times"?

In DeValera's Holy Catholic Ireland single mothers were a threat to the social order, Travellers were good Catholics, ie married as children, reproduced in great numbers and died young.

Back in the day they lived in abject poverty in wagons on the side of the road, travelling the country doing odd jobs, collecting scrap etc. My grandparents would have kind memories of them back then. They've been lifted out of that rough existence through state assistance but rather than seize the opportunity of housing, education etc to better themselves, they mostly persist in their very primitive lifestyle, taking everything the state hands them and laughing at how gullible country people are to just keep giving them what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    A tradition happily facilitated by Cork County Council, agreeing to destroy public housing, built with our taxes, in the midst of a housing crisis. Madness.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/council-to-demolish-house-in-which-young-man-killed-his-brothers-1.3634391

Helen O’Driscoll, mother of the boys, has campaigned to have the property demolished:

“For all three of us I had to go out of it. Nobody in their right mind would ever live in that house. In the travelling community years ago you had a caravan or a wagon and when there was a death the property would be burned. Their souls would go to peace.”

Ah come on, in all fairness, who would want to live in that house afterwards??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mynamejeff wrote: »
    wooooo there max.

there is not the same history of with Black people in ireland simple because there were few or none at all present until relativity recently

however in spite of EOTRs nonsense ramblings black people in Ireland are heavily involved in crime fraud and scams at a high level and drugs at lower levels , thye dont fill our jails though as the frauds and scams are very difficult to proscute and the low level drugs guys dont rate it in out system

I was unaware of that, so people of African origin are heavily involved in crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I was unaware of that, so people of African origin are heavily involved in crime?

There's a thread going on here about "African gangs". The name has just been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BBFAN wrote: »

If there was ever a house that should be knocked, its that.
    Plant a few oak trees and leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

BBFAN wrote: »

I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd be grateful for a roof over their heads.

Should probably have demolished this house too, you'd have to pay someone to live there after someone got killed in it... Oh wait it's for sale for €2,000,000.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2778975/eamonn-lillis-house-back-market/

Funny that it's only when the property is paid for and owned by someone else (us chumps who pay taxes) that people want it demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd be grateful for a roof over their heads.

Should probably have demolished this house too, you'd have to pay someone to live there after someone got killed in it... Oh wait it's for sale for €2,000,000.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2778975/eamonn-lillis-house-back-market/

Funny that it's only when the property is paid for and owned by someone else (us chumps who pay taxes) that people want it demolished.

over in the uk some houses where murders have taken place have been demolished. i'm not sure if they were all council owned, or their former tenants had subsidized rent from the tax payer either.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Garda are currently at a halting site in Sligo which was featured in that RTÉ traveller program a while back. It appears their illegal scrap metal activities are being shut down)

They are the family (McDonaghs) who are living in the car park and wouldn’t move to another area as they were feuding with the other traveller family (Ward) residing there. The council we’re going to build a wall to keep them separate.

https://www.facebook.com/115071508505532/posts/2436433169702676?sfns=mo

Here's our Bernard painting the travellers as the innocent victims of Colonisation
    Gaurds with no paperwork, no search warrant, no anything other than digger breaking down the wall because the Sligo CC had welled the barriers. Any other community and serious questions would be asked. Here in colonized Ireland the indigenous people are still fighting against colonialism

https://www.facebook.com/100007227857780/videos/2278775825706657/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Here's our Bernard painting the travellers as the innocent victims of Colonisation

https://www.facebook.com/100007227857780/videos/2278775825706657/

So travellers are really the Muintir Cessair, driven by the Fir Bolg, into a nomadic lifestyle of theft, crime, feuding and tarmacadam contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

And they are trying to remove history from being mandatory in school...

It looks much tidier now, Norman. They’ve put bollards up on the top half and now the family are saying they’ve no room! Oh, and I said they were McDonaghs earlier but they’re actually McGinleys. Last year they were leaving https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.buzz.ie/amp/news/sligo-county-council-traveller-car-park-35-years-293554

Sure how could they be expected to move in near a family they are feuding with. That's be culturally inappropriate

Here’s some of the lovely residents-

That's not murder it's only manslaughter

He was just befriending an elderly neighbour. The aul fella must've walked off in Dublin and got lost

Give him a break, he only had 17 previous convictions
    Sher he was only trying to feed his seven childer
    No Proof who did the murder. It was probably a foreigner or a setled Amish

They were only having a sporting contest here.

Look you seem to be generalising here. There's only a few bad eggs. The majority of the Connaughton Rd Car park travellers are peaceful, hardworking law abiding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I spat out my tea....

I know it's been said but Travision.... It's a hilarious name.... Sounds like some act that would play in the George....

[QUOTE=normanoffside;110003255
    https://www.facebook.com/100007227857780/videos/2278775825706657/[/QUOTE]

There's one Guy, Padraig, in the comments saying the site is an eyesore, no reason for the camp to be in the centre of tow=n and they should be moved out.

Some of the replies:

"Padraig your lucky, you have a job. The vast majority of Travellers can't obtain employment because of Settled Community bias.

Imagine you, Padraig, and your family were constantly told every single day of your life, you're not wanted here, you're not wanted in the country you and your generations were born in. Imagine what that rejection would do to you and your families psyche...just consider that thought for one moment."

and

"Padraig , they have somewhere to live. That's a good reason. Another is it's good for tourism. Any Australian relation that visit us in Ireland are always delighted to see a Traveler camp. It's one of the highlights if their trip. It also give a place character, so it's not all uniform, conformist and boring, like say, someone who works in a library"

I actually think the guy in second quote is serious. Halting sites are good for the tourist industry :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Sure how could they be expected to move in near a family they are feuding with. That's be culturally inappropriate
    It always gets me how it's perfectly acceptable for Travellers to say they don't want to live beside Travellers because it would only lead to violence and hassle but if anyone else said it........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

For a group of people who claim to love their Horses certain individuals among them really do treat their horses atrociously.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/horse-collapsed-cardiff-arrests-16162863

A young pregnant Mare drawing a sulky on a hot day collapses from Heat exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Was unaware that drug abuse was a big issue within the traveller community

Huge issue where I live which is in Navan. At least 30% of the ones I meet are usually those absolutely off their faces on what ever they can get their hands on. Our local bus stop is a stomping ground for them, constant trouble due to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Here’s some of the lovely residents-

That's not murder it's only manslaughter

He was just befriending an elderly neighbour. The aul fella must've walked off in Dublin and got lost

Give him a break, he only had 17 previous convictions

Sher he was only trying to feed his seven childer

No Proof who did the murder. It was probably a foreigner or a setled Amish

They were only having a sporting contest here.

Look you seem to be generalising here. There's only a few bad eggs. The majority of the Connaughton Rd Car park travellers are peaceful, hardworking law abiding people.

Indeed they are. Helping the good people of Sligo procure their pharmaceuticals without the need for any pesky paperwork............

Whoever made that FB post must be full-time deleting comments. Not many people in Sligo with anything positive to say about the McGinley's and what they've done to the town.

Well, I see that Mrs Margaret Cash McCarthy has gotten a house. No doubt her pals and supporters will be celebrating her great fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Delighted for her

Such a hard slog

Some reward for leaving school at 12, married at 15, first kid at 17, 7 angles by 28, never worked a day in her life, almost 40 convictions including for theft from Penneys and now gets a 4 bedroom house that the vast majority of taxpayers could only ever dream of

Why bother working when you can get looked after for life?

Well, I see that Mrs Margaret Cash McCarthy has gotten a house. No doubt her pals and supporters will be celebrating her great fortune.

According to her posts she got the house with the help of God. Not the Government, council or tax payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ah sure the gubbermint is robbing her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

How long till it's burned out and sold for scrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

According to her posts she got the house with the help of God. Not the Government, council or tax payers.

Hopefully God will help whoever has to clean the place up in a short few years once frau cash has made it uninhabitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

no, it is on you to treat them fairly full stop, as not all are involved in criminality.
    using criminals and criminality as an excuse to mistreat non-criminals, says quite a lot about the person who subscribes to that viewpoint, a viewpoint that has no validity.
    i would be interested to know if you hold the same viewpoint on black people for example, who it is often claimed statistically have a higher proportion of criminality. i bet you don't and rightly so, because you wouldn't get away with holding such a view. it would be challenged and debunked quite quickly.
    if someone is a criminal, there are mechanisms available to rightly hold them to account, and if you witness such criminality, you have mechanisms available to report it.

That us the greatest load of nonsense I've read all day! 99.9% are involved in crimes of varying magnitude & contribute nothing positive to society at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement