Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Garda are currently at a halting site in Sligo which was featured in that RTÉ traveller program a while back. It appears their illegal scrap metal activities are being shut down)

They are the family (McDonaghs) who are living in the car park and wouldn’t move to another area as they were feuding with the other traveller family (Ward) residing there. The council we’re going to build a wall to keep them separate.

https://www.facebook.com/115071508505532/posts/2436433169702676?sfns=mo

Could they build three more walls while they're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

endacl wrote: »
    Not really. Up till a few years ago practically every thread with a negative slant against travellers would have been shut down a fairly short order.

I’m guessing that site policy has been infused with reality. In the same way that there’d be no point in shutting down a discussion on how apples, by and large, tend to be really very ‘appley’. Some people might of course enter such a discussion, arguing that many apples are orangey, and that they even met an apple once that was completely grapefruity.

Apples are apples. Can’t argue with reality.

:D

Friend used to frequent this site back in the day and tells me one Dr Bollocko ( or something similar) had a bat signal for when the name of travellers was besmirched?

Perhaps boards.ie replaced some staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Friend used to frequent this site back in the day and tells me one Dr Bollocko ( or something similar) had a bat signal for when the name of travellers was besmirched?

Perhaps boards.ie replaced some staff?

I see he was banned , what happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Garda are currently at a halting site in Sligo which was featured in that RTÉ traveller program a while back. It appears their illegal scrap metal activities are being shut down)

They are the family (McDonaghs) who are living in the car park and wouldn’t move to another area as they were feuding with the other traveller family (Ward) residing there. The council we’re going to build a wall to keep them separate.

https://www.facebook.com/115071508505532/posts/2436433169702676?sfns=mo

About time.

They have the place destroyed.

I remember when they use to be out just off the n4 heading for Ballymote and batteries stacked as high as a truck along the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Apart from the very obvious child abuse in play here - what I find so intensely irritating is the hypocritical "one rule for you another for us" crap. If parents of a "non-ethnic minority " child were filmed doing this, it's quite likely that child protection services would be notified and get involved. Parenting classes at least, serious intervention at best. But, this particular group are immune from criticism, intervention etc.

They cry racism and intolerance at every corner, cite "lack of opportunities" for their poor employment and health outcomes. They want to succeed in life? Engage in education, build trust within the community at large, bring up your kids to be productive humans instead of horrible little tossers who breed children they then expect taxpayers to house and clothe. And we can say nothing because we're racists......And people wonder why Casey got so many votes- watch out for further more right wing type parties/candidates to get votes because the ballot box is the only place you can be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

I LOL'ed.

Yup! add that to the feud that seen one fella stabbed outside an Aldi store needing airlifting to dublin hospital, another two chased down and beaten with sticks (or a handle of somekind) outside a pet store and another incident where a car had its windows smashed in again outside Aldi. All in the space of 2 weeks.
    Not to mention a car being burnt out in a housing estate not too far from said Aldi.

Ahh Longford...why the f**k did I move here??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,000 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Danny_B wrote: »
    My wife works in the local Tesco, a pair of our ethnic friends went up and tried to pay for stuff with a dud 50. Security got it, they tried to take it back claiming that they had got it from someone who they sold an iPhone to.
    Also turns out that they had also robbed 2 dressing gowns by wearing them and walking out.
    Couldn't challenge them because they didn't see it until the cctv was reviewed.

And these arseholes want to be treated fairly..stop being a thieving cu.nt and we will.

no, it is on you to treat them fairly full stop, as not all are involved in criminality.
    using criminals and criminality as an excuse to mistreat non-criminals, says quite a lot about the person who subscribes to that viewpoint, a viewpoint that has no validity.
    i would be interested to know if you hold the same viewpoint on black people for example, who it is often claimed statistically have a higher proportion of criminality. i bet you don't and rightly so, because you wouldn't get away with holding such a view. it would be challenged and debunked quite quickly.
    if someone is a criminal, there are mechanisms available to rightly hold them to account, and if you witness such criminality, you have mechanisms available to report it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

no, it is on you to treat them fairly full stop, as not all are involved in criminality.
    using criminals and criminality as an excuse to mistreat non-criminals, says quite a lot about the person who subscribes to that viewpoint, a viewpoint that has no validity.
    i would be interested to know if you hold the same viewpoint on black people for example, who it is often claimed statistically have a higher proportion of criminality. i bet you don't and rightly so, because you wouldn't get away with holding such a view. it would be challenged and debunked quite quickly.
    if someone is a criminal, there are mechanisms available to rightly hold them to account, and if you witness such criminality, you have mechanisms available to report it.

That may be true that not all are involved in criminality. However, it's the majority that time after time you seen in the local newspaper court sections for petty crimes e.g shoplifting (as per my earlier post). These are the ones whom when challenged cry racism and discrimination. These are the scum that the rest of us have problems with. We don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Oh and by the way, your little analogy of trying to see if I would do the same to black people....yes I would. If they or anyone else of any race (black, white, asian, cat, dog, chicken, etc etc) want to be a complete scumbag then, I will have no problem in saying it. Yes! I hate everyone equally...i'm a angry little c.unt.

seasidedub wrote: »
    Apart from the very obvious child abuse in play here - what I find so intensely irritating is the hypocritical "one rule for you another for us" crap. If parents of a "non-ethnic minority " child were filmed doing this, it's quite likely that child protection services would be notified and get involved. Parenting classes at least, serious intervention at best. But, this particular group are immune from criticism, intervention etc.

They cry racism and intolerance at every corner, cite "lack of opportunities" for their poor employment and health outcomes. They want to succeed in life? Engage in education, build trust within the community at large, bring up your kids to be productive humans instead of horrible little tossers who breed children they then expect taxpayers to house and clothe. And we can say nothing because we're racists......And people wonder why Casey got so many votes- watch out for further more right wing type parties/candidates to get votes because the ballot box is the only place you can be honest.

The leftist ideologues who indulge them are as bad as the traveller's themselves

Where are you going with the " Black people" comparison?

Relative to travellers, a tiny minority of black people are involved in crime

• Advertisement

Where are you going with the " Black people" comparison?

Relative to travellers, a tiny minority of black people are involved in crime

whether that is the case or not, the point still applies. the alleged amount of criminality within the black population is or at least would have likely been used as an excuse to discriminate against black people. the same is happening now with travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

They also 'traditionally' burn houses and caravans to the ground if someone dies in one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3613126/Travellers-burn-four-caravans-Queen-Gipsies-possessions-ancient-rite.html

A tradition happily facilitated by Cork County Council, agreeing to destroy public housing, built with our taxes, in the midst of a housing crisis. Madness.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/council-to-demolish-house-in-which-young-man-killed-his-brothers-1.3634391

Helen O’Driscoll, mother of the boys, has campaigned to have the property demolished:

“For all three of us I had to go out of it. Nobody in their right mind would ever live in that house. In the travelling community years ago you had a caravan or a wagon and when there was a death the property would be burned. Their souls would go to peace.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

whether that is the case or not, the point still applies. the alleged amount of criminality within the black population is or at least would have likely been used as an excuse to discriminate against black people. the same is happening now with travelers.
    The point doesn't apply at all. The alleged amount of criminality within the black population is a problem America has, not Ireland. America is not Ireland.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The point doesn't apply at all. The alleged amount of criminality within the black population is a problem America has, not Ireland. America is not Ireland.

it does apply. via criminality within a minority group being 1 excuse used to carry out discrimination against members of that group. where members of a particular groups carry out criminality is of no consiquence to the point.

it does apply. via criminality within a minority group being 1 excuse used to carry out discrimination against members of that group. where members of a particular groups carry out criminality is of no consiquence to the point.
    Black people do not have a reputation for a high % of crime in Ireland, so you have no point. No other minority group in Ireland has such a high % of crime. You're clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Black people do not have a reputation for a high % of crime in Ireland, so you have no point. No other minority group in Ireland has such a high % of crime. You're clutching at straws.

Just ask him directly why there is a high percentage of travellers represented in the overall prison population compared to the general settled populations criminals.

Then sit back and laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just ask him directly why there is a high percentage of travellers represented in the overall prison population compared to the general settled populations criminals.

Then sit back and laugh

Is it because their "culture" is backwards and does nothing but create problems and encourages them to be lazy wasters? It needs to die out, it just makes criminals now, and it's getting worse all the time.

If the situation is not comparable, it's a bogus point, blacks in America were slaves for centuries, then since the time of Lincoln, faced institutional racism under Jim crow etc, it's an insult to the experience of the black population of the 🇺🇸 to compare their historic plight to travellers who simple chose to opt out of conventional lifestyle and social norms

Even in the USA, the issue of criminality within the black population pales into comparison with the level of criminality associated with travellers here

You ask that question in a knowing smug manner.

It's not clever and not original

Sorry thread police, it won't happen again?

• Advertisement

Is it because their "culture" is backwards and does nothing but create problems and encourages them to be lazy wasters? It needs to die out, it just makes criminals now, and it's getting worse all the time.

According to a certain someone, that's discriminatory.

Sorry thread police, it won't happen again?

I owe you an apology, mistook completely your points, you were referring to EOTR as regards " their reasoning for the high incarceration rate amongst travellers"

I'm retracting my comments towards you

There you go again

sorry boss it's part of my culture

for the purposes of the point that i am making, i do not subscribe to the idea that a minority group needs to specifically have a reputation for a high percentage of crime in the same country as another group it is being compared to, in terms of having atributes used to carry out and support discrimination against the groups members, regardless of whether the members receiving such discrimination are involved in the atributes being so used to justify discrimination or not.

for the purposes of the point that i am making, i do not subscribe to the idea that a minority group needs to specifically have a reputation for a high percentage of crime in the same country as another group it is being compared to, in terms of having atributes used to carry out and support discrimination against the groups members, regardless of whether the members receiving such discrimination are involved in the atributes being so used to justify discrimination or not.

This particular minority group does have a high percentage of crime, higher in fact than other minority groups in this country. The high percentage of participation in crime would indicate that a majority of this minority group would receive negative connotations.

Would you walk through a halting site with all of your prized possessions? Knowing that a majority of this minority group commit crime and have been prosecuted for it, would you take that risk in wandering into a halting site with everything valuable you own, that there might be a few bad eggs in there with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

for the purposes of the point that i am making, ...
    Yes, and without that BIG assumption, you have no point.
    "In the travelling community years ago you had a caravan or a wagon and when there was a death the property would be burned. Their souls would go to peace."
    That's alright when it's their community, with their own (cheap) property, not an expensive house paid for by taxpayers in the 'settled' community where housing is at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

travellers who simple chose to opt out of conventional lifestyle and social norms

This part annoys me so much, because its not like they stick by their choices. They only use the "Im a Traveller and thats why we do this" when it suits them. I have lived in a few areas where there have been a large quantity of travellers and there really are only 3 types now. The "Good Kind" who go about their day to day lives not attacking, intimidating or being hostile towards people, the "Junkies" whom have 1 to 2 teeth left, ask everyone they see for a "Euro" and think of Methadone as free heroine for when their dole is not enough. And the "Thug Kind" whom attack, intimidation and do nothing but cause trouble to people.

90% of the ones I have met are not the "Good Kind", but there are those whom are good.

You are comparing two minority groups, one which engages in a high % of criminality and another which doesn't. How can you make a point with two groups with nothing in common? What exactly is your point?

To Rob Armstrong, see correction and apology above

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »
    This part annoys me so much, because its not like they stick by their choices. They only use the "Im a Traveller and thats why we do this" when it suits them. I have lived in a few areas where there have been a large quantity of travellers and there really are only 3 types now. The "Good Kind" who go about their day to day lives not attacking, intimidating or being hostile towards people, the "Junkies" whom have 1 to 2 teeth left, ask everyone they see for a "Euro" and think of Methadone as free heroine for when their dole is not enough. And the "Thug Kind" whom attack, intimidation and do nothing but cause trouble to people.

90% of the ones I have met are not the "Good Kind", but there are those whom are good.

Was unaware that drug abuse was a big issue within the traveller community

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement