Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

fricatus wrote: »
    From looking at the website there are two ways to pay:

I'm not sure what a Mobility Service Provider is, but I'm guessing you sign up to some package with an RFID card that you can use at Ionity and other charge points. Pay by phone is as it says on the tin. It doesn't look like simple contactless debit card payments are an option. :rolleyes:

Mobility services are a UK thing.

Looking at the app, there's a QR code scanner. On Ecotricity in the UK you can scan a QR code and just input your CVV number when asked. On Instavolt, again UK, you can just tap a debit or credit card and charge away.

Ionity could use either or both these payment systems. Pay by phone seems to indicate the Ecotricity model.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just signed up through Android app. Got confirmation email to verify my account. Verified, signed in, added a payment method (in my case a Mastercard Debit card)

When arriving at the charging station, just start the Ionity app and scan the barcode on the charger and it should start charging immediately (and take €8 from your account)

Couldn't be smoother or simpler, took about 2 minutes in total. That's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

478174.jpg

Yes all iced today good Friday at 1:30pm. I guess the future is driving on the grass to get close to the chargers from the other side. I might just bring a tow rope with me to reduce icing next visit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Maybe the spaces need to be painted green? Your average moron mightn’t register that the Ionity machines are EV chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

zg3409 wrote: »
    478174.jpg

Yes all iced today good Friday at 1:30pm. I guess the future is driving on the grass to get close to the chargers from the other side. I might just bring a tow rope with me to reduce icing next visit

It’d be a great money spinner to clamp ICE that park there. Are the spaces painted green?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ted1 wrote: »
    It’d be a great money spinner to clamp ICE that park there. Are the spaces painted green?

Going by the pics I saw earlier they just look like normal spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Time to start up a new company, clamper for Ionity, I will make a killing

zg3409 wrote: »
    I guess the future is driving on the grass to get close to the chargers from the other side.

Did you have a good look and did you reckon it's easy enough to drive up on the grass on the other side?

What shops are there, just a petrol station and a McDonalds or more? I would go into the petrol station and shout out "is there any imbecile in here blocking the electric car chargers?" :p

But what a pity they didn't set it up as a separate "petrol station" like the Fastned station in the Netherlands. With parallel charging and a big roof over the lot with solar panels. Would be no mistaking then that these are not parking spaces. Everyone knows instinctively not to park at a petrol pump either.

fastned2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Clamp something blocking a resource for others, genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Clamp something blocking a resource for others, genius!

Yep. Once word gets around It won’t be blocked again.

Yep. Once word gets around It won’t be blocked again.

I wouldn't be so confident. Drive around Dublin city any time of day or night and you will see dozens of cars clamped. This has been the same for the guts of 20 years now

Let's not rely on deterrents. Let's design the damn thing right from the start. Hint: not like ordinary parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

DRnvupS.jpg

Spaces not painted yet. Cables a tad shorter that ideal for the Ioniq but manageable, just need to reverse well in near charger.
    Payment issue for someone who had registered with the app but they eventually managed a charge after a 40 minute wait. There was no answer from the support phone number on the chargers either.
    That particular charger rebooted while I was there, may have been an issue with it.
    Saw three Ioniqs charging there simultaneously - no Leafs though :D.

Some teething issues aside, a great development & brilliant for Dublin to Cork CCS equipped EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

So I tried the new chargers on the way to Dublin tonight .
    I had a lot of teething probs .
    I pre registered a MasterCard today and set up an acoount as a regular user .
    I pulled in at no 2 station .
    When I tried to pay through the app the payment process crashed repeatedly at the last step , generating a bunch of gobbobldy gook code onscreen .
    I had a visa debit card also , alas this would not work either . I got a screen assaying the payment could not be verified.

I moved over to station no 1 and I had the same problems again .
    Both my cards were BOI so maybe that was the issue .
    I tried ringing the help line posted up in the charger , but no one answered so I gave up . It’s a Dublin no but I guess it transfers to Germsny possibly .
    I was hoping for some help wit the payment issues

I eventually managed to set up a PayPal account and pay by connecting PayPal.

That got me out of trouble as I’d deliberately turned up with lowish SOC, 30 %.

Other random things I noticed

the charger screen doesn’t display charging speed , just time and KWH , but I could tell I was getting slightly more than 60 kw/hr before it began to taper . I was hoping to see more info on the display though .

Finally there will be lots of probs with ICE ing, 2 chargers were iced when I arrived .

No signage yet so ppl just think they are car park spaces I guess .

Few more random bits

They are ABB chargers ..

Another chap arrived while I was there with another Ioniq and he completed payment with little fuss , as a guest in the app with a CC
    Met two other Ioniq drivers and we had a great chat !

Teething aside great to see ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

TOLLOT wrote: »
    No signage yet so ppl just think they are car park spaces I guess .

1 - No signage "yet". Are there plans for signage, bay painting and potential ticket/clamps?

2 - you give people too much credit by suggesting that they just don't realise. People would need to be exceptionally thick to not notice the 4ndirty great boxes in a row, with a plug and cable hanging on each! They just don't care.

TOLLOT wrote: »
    They are ABB chargers ..

Well that's good anyway. Far superior compared to the unreliable EFACEC chargers the ESB use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Sadly, on busy days ICE drivers park whereever they can find a spot. It has happened to the Tesla superchargers in Ireland as well. 1 Tesla, 7 ICE cars.

As long as there is no proper enforcement this will keep happening. Maybe we should park at the pumps while waiting for a free charger of they're ICEd. That should get their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

unkel wrote: »
    Did you have a good look and did you reckon it's easy enough to drive up on the grass on the other side?

What shops are there, just a petrol station and a McDonalds or more? I would go into the petrol station and shout out "is there any imbecile in here blocking the electric car chargers?"

In terms of driving on grass I would not recommend it until fresh earth is replaced with strong grass and then very carefully in non 4 wheel drive. A tip if you get stuck is to put the floor mats under the driving wheels to get you out of there.

I can't understand why they don't put parking spaces on both sides of chargers so each charger is accessible from 2 sides.

In terms of shops there is a full MacDonald's with drive through and a separate petrol station with large seating area upstairs, and they do dinners like proper motorway services. However this site was always built too small compared to proper motorway services with very limited parking . They have just increased parking, but still not to the level of a motorway services. The good news is the ionity spaces are far from the petrol pumps and should only get iced at peak period as last resort spaces. Also at least the grass option is unlikely to be iced, and there is potential for them to make more spaces on the grass side. It also looks as if there is cabling and spaces for 6 chargers with only 4 fitted. There is also an esb ecars triple head charger which is currently free to use, but I would suggest CCS users to not use it, to give leafs and zoes an option

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »
    Just signed up through Android app. Got confirmation email to verify my account. Verified, signed in, added a payment method (in my case a Mastercard Debit card)

When arriving at the charging station, just start the Ionity app and scan the barcode on the charger and it should start charging immediately (and take €8 from your account)

Couldn't be smoother or simpler, took about 2 minutes in total. That's a good sign.

So it's €8 whether you get a full charge or just a little top up? Benefits those with higher capacity I guess.

€8 for 200km in an ioniq Vs €8 for 400km in a Kona

• Advertisement

So it's €8 whether you get a full charge or just a little top up? Benefits those with higher capacity I guess.

€8 for 200km in an ioniq Vs €8 for 400km in a Kona

I did a rough calculation at one point and found that if E-Cars start charging 35c per kWh, you’d be better off with Ionity if arriving with less than 20% in an Ioniq. Of course it would be different for other cars. In a Kona or e-Niro, Ionity would almost always be the better bet, unless you were doing a quick top-up to guarantee getting all the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why is there not just contactless payment?

Should surely be the way going forward, 5 seconds and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

JPA wrote: »
    Why is there not just contactless payment? Should surely be the way going forward, 5 seconds and you're done.

I don't work for Ionity but in my experience, the rates charged by banks for unattended card acceptance are very high. I'm disappointed but not surprised that EC companies haven't installed them.

Does anyone know the status of the other two locations, Gormanstown and Mayfield? Any visible works in progress?

How much is it for a charge ? for how long/kwh ? haven't been following this thread in a while.

Where are the chargers located ? I'm heading to Cork on Friday and will probably join the M8 at Ballacolla.

How much is it for a charge ?

€8.
    for how long/kwh ?

€8 per session, regardless of initial state of charge etc. 10% top up = €8.
    Full charge on an iPace or ETron = €8.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

How much is it for a charge ? for how long/kwh ? haven't been following this thread in a while.

Where are the chargers located ? I'm heading to Cork on Friday and will probably join the M8 at Ballacolla.

€8 no matter how much or how little you charge.
    Only live one is at Cashel.

Where are the chargers located ?

https://goo.gl/maps/fgzzYLTE2DnUd7EGA

Kinda makes the rex seem even more attractive now but I can see the attraction to BEV owners.

Ioniq drivers should see a small speed boost now ?

8 Euros is a raw deal for smaller battery drivers but good for Tesla drivers , Koda etc.

• Advertisement

You're a funny man, Mad_Lad :p

A raw deal for a charging network that actually enables people in EVs to confidently drive cross country way beyond the range of their cars, knowing they can reliably and quickly charge their car with no waiting time for just €8? Doesn't look like a raw deal to me. And that's coming from someone who owns the smallest battery that you can buy in any EV today.

Advertisement