Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ionity charging network

Options

Comments

fricatus wrote: »
    I’m very surprised by this... Audi have a big involvement in Ionity, and you’d have thought that the cables would be specified with the charge-port location on the E-Tron in mind.

It was a joke, honestly, the difficulty the chap had to try connect the damn plug and worst of all it was kinked so these cables won't last long.

He had to park about a foot from the charger and at that it was too short, really incredible that this could happen.

Oh and ICE'ing ? lol. hilarious. They need signs and painting fast.

With all my moaning the positives are that 4 chargers are nice + ESB charger close by means 5 chargers are much better than 1, provided the Ionity bays are not ICE'd.

I'm sure the teething issues will be sorted but it's still handier to have the swipe card, if the phone network goes down etc then you can't activate the charger or even phone the help line.

I never even minded how long it took to charge, I started with about 33% and ended at 98% , once the e-tron pulled up that was that, couldn't care less lol.

can't imagine it took much less time than the ESB chargers because the i3 can only manage about 50 Kw. The Audi on the other hand, I think that can avail of the full 150 kw ? that's nice indeed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Cloth seats?

Interior fairly bland for a 100k car?

Not that I have experience here

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Cloth seats?

I could be wrong but it looks leather + alcantara to me. Interior is dirty and the car is switched off, hence the bland pictures.

Audi interiors are better than most other cars

The Man was an employee of Audi Ireland HQ, Paddy

Paddy Comyn, a poster here in this forum, head of communications, VAG Ireland and former motoring journo?

478792.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan?

Eh, no :p

paddy1976

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Seen that Audi last week at the coynes cross apple green fast charger. He’s moving around alright. Seen an old leaf beside it and the design difference is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The eTron is a thing of beauty! it will sell well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Guess what I saw at the Ionity charger today ?

vB4xhCD.jpg

This is a disaster, it took the Chap ages to get connected. Ionity cable too short and charge port in a stupid location, was hard enough for me in the i3.

It actually looks like it would be easier for him to charge from the machine to the right in the next space....brutal.
    Do they have them in the dealers yet btw? Wouldn't mind test driving one for when the missus changes her's next April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭paddy1976

That was me!

We’ve spoke to IONITY since. The issue is these machines were made for LHD markets. The CCS on the e-tron is on the drivers side with the RHD e-tron. They know there is an issue so will alter this one and all new ones will by put side on.

And today....

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

paddy1976 wrote: »
    And today....

Nice of them to provide horse and trap transport for those who turn up to charge only to have their charger iced.

That was me!

Good meeting you paddy, thanks for the pics, it was rather entertaining trying to get the plug in the car ! :)

Nice of them to provide horse and trap transport for those who turn up to charge only to have their charger iced.

Yeah , shame, 4 charge bays and 3 ICed, something should be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

paddy1976 wrote:
    We’ve spoke to IONITY since.

I don't suppose you got a chance to speak to them about marking the spaces or putting up some EV only signs :D

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I don't suppose you got a chance to speak to them about marking the spaces or putting up some EV only signs :D

I’ll send on today’s pics. In fairness they work great. I did Drogheda to Cork and back stopping for 45 mins each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

paddy1976 wrote:
    I’ll send on today’s pics. In fairness they work great. I did Drogheda to Cork and back stopping for 45 mins each way.

Brilliant, thanks ;)

In fairness, it's amazing to have them in Ireland, but if they're frequently ICEd as they seem to be, they're no use!

Being able to have an available charger you can depend on is key to the whole idea.

Paint the spaces green and throw up a few signs should hopefully help!

A clamping in operation sign will get more attention !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We’ve spoke to IONITY since. The issue is these machines were made for LHD markets. The CCS on the e-tron is on the drivers side with the RHD e-tron. They know there is an issue so will alter this one and all new ones will by put side on.

What exactly does that mean?

Does it mean that the chargers will be positioned more like a traditional petrol pump where you drive alongside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

KCross wrote: »

Does it mean that the chargers will be positioned more like a traditional petrol pump where you drive alongside it?

It would be great if each charger could be reached by 4 parking positions. Even better if they do not look like parking spaces. It would be great if they could improve design at future locations. Painted green bays seems to fade quickly and be expensive but are a help. No parking signs seem to work well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My guess is they will rotate the current ones 90 degrees so that the cable is sticking out towards the parking space.

liamog wrote: »
    My guess is they will rotate the current ones 90 degrees so that the cable is sticking out towards the parking space.

I was kinda hoping they were talking about positioning them like petrol pumps but was skeptical as that would require alot more real estate.

I think you are right..... its probably a case of just rotating them and possibly adding an extra foot or two of cable.

This is how Ionity do "side on" in Norway

The new area they are digging out in Junction 14 has alot of space so maybe they will do a proper side-on setup.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

A clamping in operation sign will get more attention !

Can we make one ourselves? :)

Can we make one ourselves? :)

better again , we can do the clamping ourselves ! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The new area they are digging out in Junction 14 has a lot of space so maybe they will do a proper side-on setup.

It would be good if some kind of group of concerned citizens related to EVs were raising these observations at the time planning permission was sought.

liamog wrote: »
    It would be good if some kind of group of concerned citizens related to EVs were raising these observations at the time planning permission was sought.

IEVOA should be doing that but I'm not a member so I cant complain if they arent! :)

Any IEVOA members here know if they are keeping an eye on these planning applications?

Having said that, I dount you could object or influence the layout on planning grounds. It would be really up to the operator how they want to position their charger... i.e. its not really a planning issue per se?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

IEVOA should be doing that but I'm not a member so I cant complain if they arent! :)

Any IEVOA members here know if they are keeping an eye on these planning applications?

Having said that, I dount you could object or influence the layout on planning grounds. It would be really up to the operator how they want to position their charger... i.e. its not really a planning issue per se?

You possibly could make an observation on planning grounds. One of the CRU (I think it was) had a strategic decarbonisation plan about a year or two ago, and one of the action items was to progress EV charging as a strategic objective, with discussion about preventing ICEing. Maybe it was the short lived national mitigation plan. But either way, if you linked your comment to that, it could be given weight accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IEVOA is a circle jerk of manbabies and silly old men, can't see them doing anything to be honest

Advertisement